Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Alternatively: You loving don't because it's just a loving dumb-for-fun cameo like all of Gilgamesh's appearances.

I like this answer the better of the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Or she could hijack the story of every game that she shows up in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Level Slide posted:

Or she could come out of the TV and kill you in real life like the girl in The Ring.

The possibilities are endless!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Level Slide posted:

Well to be fair, she is responsible for literally every Final Fantasy plot line ever, even FF 13's.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Livingtrope posted:

Haha, did that guy really ask if japanese developers only care about japanese gamers? Japan is really insular dude, yeah they don't give a poo poo about americans.

This can't be stressed enough. Japan's game industry by and large couldn't give the slightest gently caress about if the rest of the world dislikes something or not if it's popular in Japan.

Kyrosiris posted:

Unless you basically only play an hour a week, you can basically get through the main storyline within the free month, though.

Is the first month actually free, or is it "you must buy this box/digital edition and it comes with a month of gametime" free, which is not actually free even though there's no shortage of people who buy in to that line of marketing?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is the first month actually free, or is it "you must buy this box/digital edition and it comes with a month of gametime" free, which is not actually free even though there's no shortage of people who buy in to that line of marketing?

You do have to buy a copy, yes.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

If you catch an Amazon sale like I did the game was only $15 so it was like just paying for one month of the game.

Edit: At the time of typing this it is out on Steam and only $15.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 19, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

She's literally God at the end of FF13-3. Like, makes Earth as We Know it God.

Alternatively: You loving don't because it's just a loving dumb-for-fun cameo like all of Gilgamesh's appearances.

She isn't, actually. She just kills God after he makes the Earth. I think this is way more hilarious.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 19, 2014

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Lightning's already had too many games, putting her in more is a terrible idea.

Use Ringabel instead, then we've got a deal.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSSE78O_BDY

Trailer for the new features for FFX/X-2 HD. I'm actually really excited for this one, and I think it does a good job showcasing what you're getting for $40 USD.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Suaimhneas posted:

Lightning's already had too many games, putting her in more is a terrible idea.

Use Ultros + Chupon instead, then we've got a deal.

I prefer this idea.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ShadeofDante posted:

Trailer for the new features for FFX/X-2 HD. I'm actually really excited for this one, and I think it does a good job showcasing what you're getting for $40 USD.

gently caress, that new battle music is terrible and that font is tiny as hell. I'll still buy it but it doesn't mean I'll like it. :mad:

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Yeah, to be fair though, I've always hated X's main battle theme.

99% of the music in that game is fantastic, it's just a shame that it suffers from Chrono Cross syndrome and forces you to listen to the worst song for the majority of the game. :v:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
At least CC made up for it with the best boss battle theme out there at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_z3yLcVfsU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

ShadeofDante posted:

Creature creator you say. Animajimbo anyone?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

"Hello Mr Beast, this is the HR department at Gullwings. Just calling to confirm we've received your application - your resume is very impressive and we'd like to invite you in for a quick interview. The girls will be here too so you can try out some Charlies Angels posing and sassy banter. If you email me your measurements I'll see if we have any dresspheres in your size, although you might want to bring your own just in case. Thanks, and congratulations!"

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ShadeofDante posted:

Man, March is going to be a busy month for me with RPGs between Dark Souls 2 and the FFX/X-2 HD remasters. I had a 200+ hour save in FFX when it first came out. It's my second favorite FF after 12.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Man, March is going to be a busy month for me with RPGs between Dark Souls 2 and the FFX/X-2 HD remasters. I had a 200+ hour save in FFX when it first came out. It's my second favorite FF after 12.

You forgot the South Park rpg man.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Dark Souls 1 was a mess when it was released so I have no reservations about waiting for DS2 to get a few rebalance patches before picking it up

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Dark Souls 1 was a mess when it was released so I have no reservations about waiting for DS2 to get a few rebalance patches before picking it up

They nerfed the ability to play as Captain America so no, waiting for patches is a fools errand.

FFXIII-Lightning Returns:Ultimate Anime Dress Up 2k15 is actually way, way more fun than I thought it would be. The time mechanic is completely unnecessary but its still fun.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mikeraskol posted:

You forgot the South Park rpg man.

The South Park rpg is the worst final fantasy.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
In Lightning Returns, how are you supposed to time your presses when using magic for the timing bonus? I can get the bonus for physical attacks most of the time but I have no idea about the magic attacks. The manual says to press "when the magic is unleashed" which doesn't really help much.

And another question - in the first town there's a shopkeeper that sells you one of the ingredients for the medicine for the little girl. He then tells Lightning that he can get her inside the Warren even when the doors are locked. But after that he doesn't mention it at all and I haven't found any alternative way inside. What am I missing?

EDIT: The game has its faults, that's for sure, but at the same time I appreciate how open it feels when compared to the other games in the trilogy. I have no idea what I'm doing but that's fine.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 21, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Renoistic posted:

EDIT: The game has its faults, that's for sure, but at the same time I appreciate how open it feels when compared to the other games in the trilogy. I have no idea what I'm doing but that's fine.

Basically, this. What problems the game has feel like honest missteps from someone really making an effort to do something interesting, rather than the marketing department trying to pull one over on us (which is what FFXIII and FFXIII-2's problems mostly felt like).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have enjoyed my time with LR but only for the structure of the battle systems and the wide variety of customization. Making an FF where you don't level up is neat, and the idea that you just expand your options to grow stronger is very cool and constantly encourages you to switch things up.

But everyone else about it is really underwhelming. I would take 13's tightly balanced endless corridors over LR's single player MMO overworld structure. It feels very lifeless and detracts from a very interesting core fighting design. Still loads better than 13-2 at least.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Renoistic posted:

In Lightning Returns, how are you supposed to time your presses when using magic for the timing bonus? I can get the bonus for physical attacks most of the time but I have no idea about the magic attacks. The manual says to press "when the magic is unleashed" which doesn't really help much.

Generally it depends on the weapon you're using. If you aren't using a wand/rod, try when the magic is leaving when Lightning's hand. With a wand/rod, its when the magic leaves the tip of the weapon. That being said, getting a perfect use is very hard with magic, but the closer you are to getting the right timing you do more damage, even without the critical hit.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Systematic System posted:

Generally it depends on the weapon you're using. If you aren't using a wand/rod, try when the magic is leaving when Lightning's hand. With a wand/rod, its when the magic leaves the tip of the weapon. That being said, getting a perfect use is very hard with magic, but the closer you are to getting the right timing you do more damage, even without the critical hit.

Thanks! Beat the "first" main mission today. Had to use all my items and EP to beat Noel. And I got zero stars. What an rear end in a top hat.

Best part so far: thinking "I really want that quest giver's hat" and then getting it as the quest reward!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Thanks! Beat the "first" main mission today. Had to use all my items and EP to beat Noel. And I got zero stars. What an rear end in a top hat.

Best part so far: thinking "I really want that quest giver's hat" and then getting it as the quest reward!

Basically any odd accessory you see on a quest giver is the reward you'll get for doing their quest.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It's like Mega Man, except instead of taking their weapon for killing them, you take their stupid hats for helping them.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Schwartzcough posted:

It's like Mega Man, except instead of taking their weapon for killing them, you take their stupid hats for helping them.

"I don't want your thanks, I want your sunglasses."

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

To be fair a lot of the things that are asked of you in the game are totally worth it for a sweet pair of neon shades.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Ongoing LR:FF13 impressions: Still impressed.

Status: Day 12, gearing up for endgame, polishing off sidequests.

Combat is still awesome. Bosses are still difficult. Despite being the last main quest I finished, Caius still hosed my poo poo up until I managed to get said poo poo together. Even after 12 days of questing and having almost every sidequest down and wearing advanced garb and third-tier/Last One grade weapons and accessories some random encounters can still be nasty if you let your attention lapse. Beyond that, I like how it's very apparent that there are a whole load of ways to make good setups of which mine is only one. Contrast FFXIII/-2, in which there was basically only one correct way to win fights.

Holding off on final judgement until post-credits, but so far, the plot is the closest that Fabulous Exploding Crystals Final Fantasy XIII has yet come to coherence. Voice acting aside, Lightning's situation borders on relatable (and besides, we've got Caius to save the voice acting. "Ah, death. Were it so."), the main quest is pretty straightforward and comprehensible, and the game actually expands on some of the lore of its world rather than dumping it all in the in-game Datalog. Occasional melodrama aside, it seems like they've just stopped trying to be so drat serious and taken some JRPG conceits and run with it. It is very apparent that it's all going to conclude with God being punched in the face and I don't care. This is a game that dares you to take it seriously even before it lets you force Lightning to sport a big grey beard in every cutscene. And some of the sidequest dialogue clinches it; someone had Actual Fun™ writing this game. The Main Quests all have their tidy little arcs, with buildups, reveals, and conclusions. It all works.

I'm a fan of the setting, too. People (read: reviews) who say LR:FF13 has "only" four locations are missing the point. FFXIII had like fifty locations and they were all the loving same. FFXIII-2, constructed as it was from the dregs of FFXIII's legendarily undirected design phase, wasn't much better. LR:FF13, on the other hand, gives us four large, fleshed out and populated locations that not only look but actually feel distinct, that have their own little gimmicks and idiosyncrasies, and even where they share similarities they manage to differentiate themselves in feel. Both the Wildlands and the Dead Dunes are vast, wide and open, but exploring those areas is a very different experience. In a smart and tidy game design move, the clock feeds into how the locations feel. Yusnaan is always busy but it truly comes alive at night. The Wildlands are overrun with monsters and Chaos Rifts at night. The Dead Dunes are eerily deserted at night.

And I can't seem to stop marveling at how we've finally got a JRPG with a world that does its own thing when we're not looking. The trains run on a schedule. The sun rises and sets. NPC placement and dialogue cycles. And if you sit around doing nothing, the world will actually end.

I also like how the sidequests that aren't just fetch quests form their own little arcs and feed into eachother.

The game's got flaws, too. EG: I don't like how several sidequests don't give you map markers even when they really should; it makes finding vaguely described places we've ostensibly been given directions to a bit irritating. But they're basically all little things that I just can't bring myself to dwell on given how much fun the game is.

This game is too good for its FFXIII brand.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 22, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The entire FFXIII mythos is literally (proper usage of the word, given what happens in XIII-2) too stupid to exist. I think Lightning Returns distinguishes itself because it's the only game of the three that acknowledges this from the start.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Te entire premise of LR is that the story has gotten so stupid that God is remaking a new world so Lightning has to save the souls of people on the old world so they make it to the new one. It's an astounding piece of video game story and should be recorded for years to come.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Truly, Fabulous Sun Butterfly-Process: Lightning Strikes Back: Final Fantasy 13: This Time It's For Real: Electric Boogaloo: Live Free or Die Harder: Revengeance: Guns of the Chocobos is a genre defining and genre breaking game that both perfectly encapsulates and sends off the PS3 and Xbox360 consoles with flair, grace, and heartfelt endearment as we head into a new era of gaming.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Gologle posted:

Truly, Fabulous Sun Butterfly-Process: Lightning Strikes Back: Final Fantasy 13: This Time It's For Real: Electric Boogaloo: Live Free or Die Harder: Revengeance: Guns of the Chocobos is a genre defining and genre breaking game that both perfectly encapsulates and sends off the PS3 and Xbox360 consoles with flair, grace, and heartfelt endearment as we head into a new era of gaming.

The game title isn't that bad. Driv3er is worse, or Hanna Montana The Movie The Game.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

The game title isn't that bad. Driv3er is worse, or Hanna Montana The Movie The Game.

Let's be fair to miss Montana, Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game did that second one years ago. Driv3er is astoundingly bad, though.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Fedule posted:

The game's got flaws, too. EG: I don't like how several sidequests don't give you map markers even when they really should; it makes finding vaguely described places we've ostensibly been given directions to a bit irritating.

It's a small thing, but it took me a really long time to realize you can actually place markers on the map. Made Luka and Armand (multi-day Luxerion quests) less annoying, especially when you try searching for them at the wrong time and can't tell whether you can find them or if they're just not there.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie is just a tad bit more offensive.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Krad posted:

Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie is just a tad bit more offensive.

Yes, but no other movie describes what I did with the game's predecessor quite so well as "Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

Yes, but no other movie describes what I did with the game's predecessor quite so well as "Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII."
This joke was literally made 100 times within five minutes of the game's title being revealed, Step it up lad.