Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Colorado High School Football teams will finally get the 100,000+ seat stadiums that they all desperately need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

Colorado High School Football teams will finally get the 100,000+ seat stadiums that they all desperately need.

While that is a horrible waste of money, it beats having that cash go to cartels, right?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Hey cartels employ a lot of people who will be out of work for real. I'm not being ironic that is an actual downside when that work isn't things like "kidnapping" or "murder".

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

He's joking, even if it were all going to education (and it's not) $100 million is a drop in the bucket compared to how much education funding has been slashed over the past 20 years or so thanks to TABOR. Nobody is building a football stadium.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 20, 2014

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Meanwhile, banks are leaning on landlords who are leasing to Marijuana businesses.

http://www.denverpost.com/marijuana/ci_25180210/banks-wont-finance-pot-shop-properties

quote:

Colorado's two largest banks, Wells Fargo Bank and FirstBank, say they won't offer new loans to landowners with preexisting leases with pot businesses. And Wells Fargo and Vectra Bank have told commercial loan clients that either have to evict marijuana businesses or seek refinancing elsewhere.

"Our policy of not banking marijuana-related businesses and not lending on commercial properties leased by marijuana-related businesses is based on applicable federal laws," Wells Fargo spokeswoman Cristie Drumm told the Post.

"Part of the interpretation (of laws) is the Controlled Substances Act prohibits anyone from dealing with the substances or their proceeds," said Ron Tilton, executive vice president of FirstBank. "Someone collecting rent from a dispensary or grow house, that's the proceeds of an operation and therefore is illegal."

How much of a property is leased to a marijuana business is another factor.

"If it's 100 percent of a property, we'll not go for it," Tilton said. "A retail operation in a small strip center, and less than 20 percent is to a marijuana business, we'll look at the borrower and see if he's substantial enough (financially)."

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
So the banks are more than willing to look the other way when the actual cartels come to drop off their money, but pot shops are a bridge too far?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

cafel posted:

So the banks are more than willing to look the other way when the actual cartels come to drop off their money, but pot shops are a bridge too far?

Two words: Plausible Deniability.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

It's great to know that such a fine, upstanding corporation like Wells Fargo is so concerned about hewing to federal law.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LeJackal posted:

It seems like the estimates for the tax revenue were way off. Like 40% off. 40 percent low.

Some schools are going to get the ever-loving poo poo built out of them.

It is a personal dream to one day live in a state where they don't make me cut out box tops of cereal and instead encourage me to smoke one for my childrens' future.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
It's pretty cool to walk into a head shop and buy a bong or a bubbler to smoke weed and get high. Long gone are the days of "tobacco water pipes" or "incense holders."

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

cafel posted:

Well yeah. They would only be getting normal interest rates loaning to landowners who rent to these assholes cutting into the business of one of their main cash supplies.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

LeJackal posted:

It seems like the estimates for the tax revenue were way off. Like 40% off. 40 percent low.

Some schools are going to get the ever-loving poo poo built out of them.

That's nuts--do you think the taxes will become more sensible as a result of this? With that kind of discrepancy I'm kind of picturing the scene from Office Space where they realize they've stolen way more from the company than they thought they were going to.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Inspector Hound posted:

That's nuts--do you think the taxes will become more sensible as a result of this? With that kind of discrepancy I'm kind of picturing the scene from Office Space where they realize they've stolen way more from the company than they thought they were going to.

Why would they lower the tax? Colorado has a planetary monopoly on legal recreational marijuana until June, this windfall is strictly temporary so it's worth it for Colorado to milk it for all it's worth.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Inspector Hound posted:

What? The taxes are already extremely sensible.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
You think that the 12.5% in Colorado is high?
Washington is 25% on the producers and 25% on sales.
Totally worth it as another revenue source, as people here are pretty liberal until you ask them you pay their fair share.

Edit: Whoops, even more than I thought.

Q: How is it going to be taxed?
A: The initiative applies a 25% excise tax on each level of the system: producer to a processor, processor to a retailer, and retailer to the customer. In addition, B&O taxes on the production and local retail sales taxes apply.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mrit posted:

as people here are pretty liberal until you ask them you pay their fair share.

This is true everywhere and weed isn't going to change that unfortunately :(

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Hope this wasn't posted earlier. I didn't see this come up in the past few pages.

Inside Edition covers skiing/riding high.

The reporting style is pretty hilarious to me. The narrator/journalist is yelling in surprise the whole time.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Every time I see this talking point I have to laugh. Snowboarders smoking while they ride is not exactly a new thing. I wonder if we'll eventually get reports that people at concerts are possibly lighting up, or that people in bars might be drinking.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It's pretty hard to overstate how prevalent pot usage is among skiiers and snowboarders here, especially among college-age people. From what I understand there's around 10 smoke huts in the trees at Breckenridge at any given point in time (sometimes the ski patrol will tear one down to make a show, but a new one will pop up elsewhere), including a famous two-story smoke hut. I've stumbled across them at other ski areas, too.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It's pretty hard to overstate how prevalent pot usage is among skiiers and snowboarders here, especially among college-age people. From what I understand there's around 10 smoke huts in the trees at Breckenridge at any given point in time (sometimes the ski patrol will tear one down to make a show, but a new one will pop up elsewhere), including a famous two-story smoke hut. I've stumbled across them at other ski areas, too.

Do the people just sneak saws onto the slopes and build them?

Also, it was funny the reporter implying that the weed made those guys snowboard bad at the end. They were just really lovely snowboarders.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
Good, honest reporting like that reinforces my pre-conceived ideas and allows me to continue discriminating against pot smokers in all situations without a shred of irony.

Now excuse me while I hop off this ski lift at 10,000 ft and walk into a bar where I will down a 10% beer aged in a whiskey barrel or maybe a strong bloody mary before I head down the slope again. Nothing dangerous about that. Nope.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rench-Alps.html
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ski-instructor-found-dead-drinking-skiing-article-1.1305174
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/british-skier-seeking-a-shortcut-dies-on-french-alps-after-a-night-out-drinking-8546357.html
http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/skier-dies-after-falling-into-whistler-mountain-tree-well/Content?oid=2542930
http://www.kgw.com/news/Missing-Mt-Hood-skier-found-dead-after-drinking-episode-200868521.html

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Well it was pretty funny to see the two guys fall down over and over.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

TheManWithNoName posted:

Well it was pretty funny to see the two guys fall down over and over.

Not funny that people will think it was because they are high.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Its not just Colorado either. Weed has been deeply entrenched in ski culture for decades. I know plenty of boomer aged people that smoke nearly every time they ski, and nearly everyone I've ever known who could be classified as a ski bum also enjoys it.

Being surprised that people smoke weed while skiing/riding is just as absurd as being surprised folks do it at a concert.

People are perhaps a little more open about it now because social norms are evolving, but it's always been there.

Remember Henrik Harlaut, the dreadlocked Swedish slope style skier who's pants were falling down in the Olympics and who gave a WuTang shoutout after his run? He famously smokes a shitload of weed, as does Tanner Hall, the pro skier and cofounder of his ski sponsor Armada. Tanner's Instagram account is literally @tannerhall420.

edit: famous video segment with "Rasta Stevie" of Telluride from 1988

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 22, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Imagine the chaos at the beach if the surfers were high?!?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Ugh. What the gently caress.

Vail Resorts demolished Leo's Shack. That's the one shown in the video. That place was amazing! It was advanced expert terrain to get there, huge, multiple stories, and great place to take a break even if you don't smoke.

I guess I'm not at all surprised, but still upset about what has been a mainstay of my days on the mountain for years is now gone. First world problems/this is mostly a gripe about how the ski industry operates compared to the old freewheeling hippy days and all. I just hate seeing an awesome feature like that disappear.

I can already see the official reason. "The shack was a liability." What? And the cliffs surrounding it weren't?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

19 o'clock posted:

Ugh. What the gently caress.

Vail Resorts demolished Leo's Shack. That's the one shown in the video. That place was amazing! It was advanced expert terrain to get there, huge, multiple stories, and great place to take a break even if you don't smoke.

I guess I'm not at all surprised, but still upset about what has been a mainstay of my days on the mountain for years is now gone. First world problems/this is mostly a gripe about how the ski industry operates compared to the old freewheeling hippy days and all. I just hate seeing an awesome feature like that disappear.

I can already see the official reason. "The shack was a liability." What? And the cliffs surrounding it weren't?

Blame the stupid news company for showing it.

They will build more though.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yes absolutely nothing could go wrong with a bunch of inexperienced, unqualified people building structures on the side of a mountain with no building codes or regulations whatsoever. A business should allow that to happen and be willing to incur the nearly limitless liability they would on the hook for when (not if) someone gets hurt.

You get how absurd and indefensible that line of thinking is right?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yes absolutely nothing could go wrong with a bunch of inexperienced, unqualified people building structures on the side of a mountain with no building codes or regulations whatsoever. A business should allow that to happen and be willing to incur the nearly limitless liability they would on the hook for when (not if) someone gets hurt.

You get that this is why you don't have any playground friends, right?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

Whats it like inside the bubble? The air must be so stale.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
A brief google image search suggests these skiing related smoke huts generally don't follow building standards.

Now that pot is legal in two states, what reasons would there be to reject resort approved, properly built smoke huts?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Freakazoid_ posted:

A brief google image search suggests these skiing related smoke huts generally don't follow building standards.

Now that pot is legal in two states, what reasons would there be to reject resort approved, properly built smoke huts?
My guess? Insurance cost if the resort doesn't have a policy against drug use while using the slope. Also they would probably get some bad publicity for it. They could build "rest huts" or something and deny their purpose but I bet they're all being cautious.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The resort almost certainly couldn't build an outright smoke hut, due to the laws prohibiting facilities meant for smoking weed in general.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Jeffrey posted:

My guess? Insurance cost if the resort doesn't have a policy against drug use while using the slope. Also they would probably get some bad publicity for it. They could build "rest huts" or something and deny their purpose but I bet they're all being cautious.

They don't have bars?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Oh man, this is a great one. The day someone sues over getting hurt at one of these shacks is the day they don't serve a purpose anymore. This isn't a place where the average skier or snowboarder goes. These are spots that involve higher than average levels of risk and skill to access in the first place. It's hard to explain in a way that doesn't make me feel like a nerd or a try hard. I have trouble explaining a "cool riding experience" to people. It's just fun.

Word is the forest service took it down and not Vail. I'm gonna ask around to see if there isn't more to it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KingEup posted:

They don't have bars?

Bars are explicitly legal under Colorado law.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I realize that this is not directly related to the topic of marijuana legalization but didn't see any better place in D&D to post this particular news. It looks like the head of the Sinaloa Cartel just got nabbed in Mexico: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/22/el-chapo-guzman-arrested_n_4838080.html

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Chadderbox posted:

I realize that this is not directly related to the topic of marijuana legalization but didn't see any better place in D&D to post this particular news. It looks like the head of the Sinaloa Cartel just got nabbed in Mexico: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/22/el-chapo-guzman-arrested_n_4838080.html

Yeah that happened yesterday morning. Pretty big deal, but he will who knows if he will just walk out of Mexican jail again.

(Idk how that has anything to do with a Colorado thread though? You might be looking for The Clubhouse or maybe a Texas/Mexico thread)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

19 o'clock posted:

Word is the forest service took it down and not Vail. I'm gonna ask around to see if there isn't more to it.
That would make more sense, considering it is forest service land and thus their responsibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

goodness posted:

Yeah that happened yesterday morning. Pretty big deal, but he will who knows if he will just walk out of Mexican jail again.

(Idk how that has anything to do with a Colorado thread though? You might be looking for The Clubhouse or maybe a Texas/Mexico thread)

This is not a Colorado thread, it's the marijuana legalization thread and has recently focused on CO for obvious reasons. There wasn't a more general drug war thread that I could see, and considering the occupation of the guy in question (illegal marijuana wholesaler among other things) I figured it was worth a mention.

• Locked thread