Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Is this a good MMO if I like healing groups in dungeons/raids?

E: Also, I plan to literally not spend a dime on this game either so keep that in mind too, if free players are like hilariously poo poo or something :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Yes, but not spending a dime is hard since you can't use the AH without at least a first-tier loyalty unlock, and getting enough money for a REX without AH access is tedious.

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

The doctor said I was too muscular to be aborted

Conquistador posted:

E: Also, I plan to literally not spend a dime on this game either so keep that in mind too, if free players are like hilariously poo poo or something :3:

Most of the expansion Souls are very worthwhile, as well. It's worth at least springing for the expansion stuff, plus that will get you into the AH.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Frocious posted:

Most of the expansion Souls are very worthwhile, as well. It's worth at least springing for the expansion stuff, plus that will get you into the AH.

Play rift through steam and you'll get some trading cards that you can sell for like a buck total and now you're 1/5th of the way to AH usage! (can purchase credits using steambux)

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Your gooniness has dulled you to the word literally, he said that he will spend literally no money on the game.

As that, yes you will be able to do everything and can get around the limitations even with pro raiding. You won't be able to use the auction house until you scrounge up the plat to buy a rex though, which is a lot of vendoring.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

If he can find 4 other free to play steam games, with trading cards he could sell, then he could sell them all and pay for a rift bux with a steam bux, having literally spent no money.

Didn't think I'd have to spell it all the way out, so goony.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

You're only eligible for trading cards after spending money on a game, F2P or not.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Also steam cards for F2P games comes from spending money on F2P games IIRC.

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

Blacula posted:

You're only eligible for trading cards after spending money on a game, F2P or not.

I'm fairly certain you are allotted a certain number of free drops, which then increase as you spend money.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Frocious posted:

I'm fairly certain you are allotted a certain number of free drops, which then increase as you spend money.

quote:

What about free to play games like Team Fortress 2 or Dota 2?
Free to play games drop game cards based on your in-game purchasing. For every $9 USD spent (approximate) since the start of the Steam Trading Card Beta, you will earn one card drop. This card will drop at some point as you play. If you have made in-game purchases in Dota 2 or Team Fortress 2 prior to the Steam Trading Card Beta, or if you owned Team Fortress 2 prior to the Free to Play update, you will have 4 or 5 additional card drops available.

Source

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Just to bring the discussion back to Rift, if you spend money through the riftgame.com website instead of with Steam wallet, you get no trading cards. Keep this in mind when buying credits!

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Dang sorry for the steam/rift slight derail there I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to that.

Today's attempted run in Gilded Prophecy (level 50 10-man raid) for a [Pet Ore] acheivement run was foiled by a last-millisecond dervish toss on that Gulagghh or whatever guy that makes you jump and look away. And also becase we killed the final boss so fast his totems/towers never spawed so we couldn't get his kill totems at the same time acheivement. That was funny and derp at the same time!

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Conquistador posted:

At least buy the Storm Legion souls and some exp vials for faster leveling. I hit 30 in a day with my patron boost+transcendent experience vial or whatever the best one is called, doing instant adventures. If you're playing a mage, Harbinger from the Storm Legion souls is probably the most fun I've had playing a mage. Healing is really not too bad, play a cleric or spec a mage into chloromancer. Chloromancers heal by dealing damage essentially, and it's pretty interesting.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009
Been messing around with this to scratch the MMO itch. Goon guilding makes games better. I'm Adorian in game.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
I'm currently playing with a friend who is powerleveling me. Looking to switch over to the goon server as our guild is lame. How is the purple per minutes rate with raids? I checked mumble but only three other people are on (afk).

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

liquidfire posted:

I'm currently playing with a friend who is powerleveling me. Looking to switch over to the goon server as our guild is lame. How is the purple per minutes rate with raids? I checked mumble but only three other people are on (afk).

A 20 man raid usually drops 2 purps per boss, 10man usually 1 (exceptions are endbosses I think). Compare that to WoW's 2 in 10man/6 in 25man loot and yeahhhh.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

KaneTW posted:

A 20 man raid usually drops 2 purps per boss, 10man usually 1 (exceptions are endbosses I think). Compare that to WoW's 2 in 10man/6 in 25man loot and yeahhhh.
WoW also has physical and magical classes using almost all armor and weapon types, so there's roughly twice as much gear waste. AFAIK they still have hit rating as an allocated stat too, which means the healer/DPS split still exists as well, causing even more waste. Rift has hit hard-linked to item quality now. There's even more waste caused by hit/expertise being useless stats once capped, which causes all kinds of slot-replacement dumbshittery as you start to cap (which reforging has helped with, but not really fixed), and yet more waste caused by it having way too many stats and only allocating a few per item, which is much more severe than the current crit/power/CP issue in Rift.

Bottom line is fewer items drop in Rift, but those items are much more likely to be useful, on average.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 23, 2014

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

From my experience with WoW and Rift, gearing up in WoW was a hell of a lot easier. Especially since you can just reforge suboptimal stat allocations. Now let me tell you about how annoyingly hard it was to get Gelidra's ring or whatever it was, Twins wand, an actually useful Crucia/Regulos trinket, etc, etc. At least T2 loot was a bit less annoying to get.

E: I'm probably just bitter. But running T1 raids and getting yet another useless spellcrit or whatever piece sucked balls.

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 23, 2014

Ferrett
Sep 6, 2000

Clownballoon would like a guild invite :D

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

KaneTW posted:

From my experience with WoW and Rift, gearing up in WoW was a hell of a lot easier. Especially since you can just reforge suboptimal stat allocations. Now let me tell you about how annoyingly hard it was to get Gelidra's ring or whatever it was, Twins wand, an actually useful Crucia/Regulos trinket, etc, etc. At least T2 loot was a bit less annoying to get.

E: I'm probably just bitter. But running T1 raids and getting yet another useless spellcrit or whatever piece sucked balls.

Let me tell you about how long I farmed Crucia before I got my Crit Power hammer :allears:

Zerotheos
Jan 2, 2005
Z
Need an invite on Overunity. Thanks.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
Invite on Zethrendel if you please. I had transferred to another shard to play with a friend who decided he didn't feel like playing the game, so it was a waste of time.

CRACK FIRE BEATS
Sep 11, 2001
Dinged 60 for the first time tonight. Feels good man, feels good.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

CRACK FIRE BEATS posted:

Dinged 60 for the first time tonight. Feels good man, feels good.

How long did it take? Just curious.

PsychicToaster fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 24, 2014

Ereidel
Aug 12, 2013
Returning beta/initial release player. Just applied under the name Kaeljian.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Could I get an invite for my new warrior please? Thanks.

Greggy fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 25, 2014

CRACK FIRE BEATS
Sep 11, 2001

Jersey Mike posted:

A long time, I didn't play regularly. Between working full-time and going to school full-time it took me a while. You could look back through this thread and find out when I asked for a guild invite.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

CRACK FIRE BEATS posted:

A long time, I didn't play regularly. Between working full-time and going to school full-time it took me a while. You could look back through this thread and find out when I asked for a guild invite.

Oct 19, 2013

CRACK FIRE BEATS posted:

Currently level 17 rogue, just transferred to Deepwood and on as Keeira looking for an invite.

edit: guild invites caught up to here, a few already had invites pending, and a few are probably waiting from me in your mailbox. Post again please if you got skipped or the in-game mail invite fails.

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 25, 2014

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
I did get the invite but hitting "Join Guild" didn't do anything, so please send a new one. Thanks!

Greggy fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 25, 2014

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Jersey Mike posted:

FWIW, I just recently got 60, and it took about 4-5 weeks after I started the character, playing 2-3 hours a night, and a few longer weekend sessions with a night off here and there.

Disclaimer: I bought patron, and did most of this under the effects of 40% bonus XP, and the guild bonus.

Also, I kept crafting up while I leveled as well - runecrafting, butchering, and outfitter. If you just powerlevel my guess is 3 weeks of fairly steady play, YMMV.

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Can I bum an invite? Name is Steveina.

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

So what's the story with these BiS craftable capes? All I can seem to find are the names of them (Barbaric Legendary Shadowed Courtly Cape is probably the one I would be after), but is there any brief write-up anywhere about how to actually gather the mats and get one made?

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004

Frocious posted:

So what's the story with these BiS craftable capes? All I can seem to find are the names of them (Barbaric Legendary Shadowed Courtly Cape is probably the one I would be after), but is there any brief write-up anywhere about how to actually gather the mats and get one made?

You first need to buy the Torvan reputation cape (rep needs to be maxed out). Then find a crafter to make you the legendary cape for your class that matches the role of the Torvan cape you bought (Tank or nontank). You can then combine the two, along with some ESM cells, into the super fantastic new cape. The upgraded cape inherets the augment used for the crafted one.

The crafted capes take an assload of mats, typically pushing 8-10k plat worth if you were to buy every single thing off the AH.

The best way to reduce the mat costs of the cape is to make sure to max out your weekly ESM cap (16k I believe), and to farm as many Infinity Stones as possible. Look up the mats needed for whichever cape you need and start bothering goons/whoever for their daily craft cooldowns to also save some plat.

Glancing at the mats for the Shadowed Courtly Cape, you'll be needing 30 Coruscating Ethereal Shards (1500 ESM or ~100p each), and 15 Infinity Cauldrons (7500 IS or ~300p each). The other mats aren't too expensive, but you do need a lot of them. Keep in mind you also need around 2.5k plat or so to buy the vendor crafting reagents.

GOOD LUCK.

vandiar fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 25, 2014

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Re: farming Infinity Stones, make sure you don't fall into the "my time is free" trap when you're doing that. Cauldrons go for about 200p, so a 180 IS daily is only worth about 4.8p towards a Cauldron and a tapped event boss is about 8.8, they're really not very time-efficient to farm unless you're getting them while doing other things (i.e. farming rep).

Marceline Abadeer
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks for the invite. Time to be a f2p scrub.

Marceline Abadeer fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 26, 2014

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

We kicked him afterwords, but this is the second Juggalo that we have gotten in Tower of the Shattered.

Unbound fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 26, 2014

Whitefire
Oct 9, 2007

DEE DEEEEE
I completely forgot how fun this game actually was, though I gotta say the best feature of this game is the ability to ride a horse indoors.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!
Patch notes are up (and have elements that are hilarious as always)

Morgana posted:

RIFT 2.6: Hotfix #6 2/26/14

== FEATURES ==

The Carnival Returns!
For the third year in a row, the Carnival is in Telara! The festivities start on February 27th at 3:30PM server time, and it runs until March 13th.

GENERAL
* Radiant Infinity Cells are now Bind on Account!
* Fixed another bug that could cause the chat systems to go offline.
* Work done on Conquest chat to make it more reliable.
* Fixed a bug that would cause the player's location to not update.
* Fixed a bug that would prevent players from properly passing lockout barriers while play cross-shard.
* Fixed a bug with the translation of "the Speechless" title in French and German.
* Fixed a rare crash that could happen when equipping helms.
* City guide NPCs can now direct players to Dream Weaver skill trainers.

RIFT STORE AND SERVICES
* Bundles of Raid 1 Weapons are now available under Equipment > Bundles!
* Bundles of Raid 1 Armor are now available under Equipment > Bundles.
* Escalating versions of Eldritch Steeds, Vaiyuus, and Yarnosaurs are now available in the mount section of the store.

SOULS

CLERIC

DEFILER
* Link of Agony: Now intercepts 20% of damage in PVP. It still intercepts 30% damage in PVE.
* Link of Suffering: Now intercepts 15% of damage in PVP. It still intercepts 20% damage in PVE.

MAGE

NECROMANCER
* Soul Bond: Now intercepts 20% of damage in PVP. It still intercepts 30% damage in PVE.

WARRIOR

* Brothers in Arms: Now intercepts 10% of damage in PVP. It still intercepts 15% damage in PVE.

ZONES

SERATOS
* Thinned the population of the Mired Convoy.
* Reduced the agro range of Storm Legion Gun Emplacements in the Mired Convoy.
* Thinned the population of Camp Talon.

STEPPES OF INFINITY
* Bloodfire Incursion raid rift:
- The quest has been converted into a collect quest.
- Thralls now despawn when Korag resets or dies.
- The Bloodfire Rager's Blast Off ability can no longer be reflected.
* Thinned the population of Storm Legion soldiers, Leach Handlers, and constructs in The Infinity Gate.
* Quest: Overcharger: Reduced the respawn rate of Storm Legion Capacitors.
* Quest: Overcharger: Storm Legion Soldiers guarding the Capacitors no longer despawn when the Capacitors explode.

THE DENDROME
* The Hell's Insurgents raid rift quest has been converted into a collect quest.

DUNGEONS AND INSTANCES
* Storm Legion dungeons now have a minimum level required to enter.
* Dominance leaderboards have been added for the big bads of Storm Legion. Compete to achieve the fastest kill time on Crucia, Regulos, Ultane, Volan (Infinity Gate), and Planebreaker Abominus.

INFINITY GATE
* Volan: No longer damages players after he has been defeated in phase two.

REALM OF TWISTED DREAMS
* Atrophinius
- Now resets when brought out of his fight space.
- Flask of Dreamshine now travels much slower.

CRAFTING
* Added two new leaderboards for the Dream Weaver under Crafting!

ITEMS
* For the sake of convenience, as well as your bag space, upgrade components can now be stacked.
* Relic Tanking Weapons from Infinity Gate and Planebreaker Bastion have received some stat rebalancing, giving more Endurance to Warrior and Cleric versions.
* A Raid 1 DPS sword has been added for Rogues - the Ascended's Sublime Sword.
* Reinforced Ascended's Sublime Sword and Reinforced Ascended's Eternal Sword are no longer unique equip.

Fixed a rare crash that could happen when equipping helms.

How does that even happen? Testers :argh:

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

quote:

* Relic Tanking Weapons from Infinity Gate and Planebreaker Bastion have received some stat rebalancing, giving more Endurance to Warrior and Cleric versions.

:worship:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

shut up gelly posted:

DUNGEONS AND INSTANCES
* Storm Legion dungeons now have a minimum level required to enter.

Anti power-leveling change?

• Locked thread