Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

kelvron posted:

They really put a lot of thought into the full spread of uniform designs. Scotty's work vest, protective engineering suits, and enlisted uniforms as well. Starfleet may not be a military, but it has a rank structure and some of the functions of one, might as well look the part.

I kinda want that bomber jacket that Admiral wore in STIII.

Pretty sure they gave the vest to Scotty because black is slimming and Doohan had gotten pretty huge by the time they were filming Star Trek IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
So I decided that since my graduate Greek seminar had come to the part of the text of the Poetics (section 10-13, 1452a12ff. if anyone cares) where Aristotle introduces the concepts of "reversal" (περιπέτεια) and "recognition" (ἀναγνώρισις) it would be a good idea to show the scene from VOY 6x22 "Muse" where Joe Menosky half-remembers freshman English class and has a forehead-alien playwright explain these things to B'Elanna. :pseudo:

My professor - normally a very reserved, quiet, serious guy - laughed SO LOUDLY it was kind of startling, then asked me to send him the reference so he could watch it later and maybe use it in one of his undergrad courses. It turns out he learned English (not his first language) partly by marathoning TNG when he was an undergrad.

This is one of the few times watching Voyager has turned out to be a good idea.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

I'm sure he was laughing at you. "Look at this guy, watching Voyager. :laffo:"

On a related note, when I wrote the piece on Xenomorphs and trans-human/post-human sexuality in sci-fi, I used the scene from First Contact where the Borg Queen seduces Data as part of my proposal.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I dunno, he seemed to be getting into it. Mostly it was funny because of how hilariously à propos it was to the current discussion given that it came from a Star Trek series. edit - also, don't underestimate what huge nerds Classical scholars actually are.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Apollodorus posted:

So I decided that since my graduate Greek seminar had come to the part of the text of the Poetics (section 10-13, 1452a12ff. if anyone cares) where Aristotle introduces the concepts of "reversal" (περιπέτεια) and "recognition" (ἀναγνώρισις) it would be a good idea to show the scene from VOY 6x22 "Muse" where Joe Menosky half-remembers freshman English class and has a forehead-alien playwright explain these things to B'Elanna. :pseudo:

My professor - normally a very reserved, quiet, serious guy - laughed SO LOUDLY it was kind of startling, then asked me to send him the reference so he could watch it later and maybe use it in one of his undergrad courses. It turns out he learned English (not his first language) partly by marathoning TNG when he was an undergrad.

I really enjoyed that episode during my last watch through. I thought it was a pretty good example of old Greek plays. Both performance wise and content wise.

I'd enjoy hearing from someone who has actual experience in the field how good an example it actually is.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
S3 E6 The Abandoned

The last two were pretty lovely. Even the Kira as a Cardassian was pretty lovely, it was cool how the Cardies showed compassion and Kira earned some respect for them but the Obsidian Order Ultimate Badguys is getting tired and it was all just a bit silly. I liked the warning against Garak at the end.. watch that guy!

Ok so I've just started this and what in the name of gently caress.. Jake's Dabo girl is a hottie in her late 20s/early 30s with massive cans.. Jake is still like 15. What the holy poo poo is going on here.. will Jake be abandoned? Will Sisko sneak some crumpet when Jake is looking the other way? Is it all an elaborate plan of Quark's to somehow gain latinum from a 15 year old?

Stay Tuned

Jake's shiteating grin as he is staring into the eyes of this gorgeous actress is not acting in the slightest and it's very cute :)

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Tony Montana posted:

S3 E6 The Abandoned

The last two were pretty lovely. Even the Kira as a Cardassian was pretty lovely, it was cool how the Cardies showed compassion and Kira earned some respect for them but the Obsidian Order Ultimate Badguys is getting tired and it was all just a bit silly

You didn't like that episode? What the gently caress

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Tony Montana posted:

S3 E6 The Abandoned

The last two were pretty lovely. Even the Kira as a Cardassian was pretty lovely, it was cool how the Cardies showed compassion and Kira earned some respect for them but the Obsidian Order Ultimate Badguys is getting tired and it was all just a bit silly. I liked the warning against Garak at the end.. watch that guy!

Ok so I've just started this and what in the name of gently caress.. Jake's Dabo girl is a hottie in her late 20s/early 30s with massive cans.. Jake is still like 15. What the holy poo poo is going on here.. will Jake be abandoned? Will Sisko sneak some crumpet when Jake is looking the other way? Is it all an elaborate plan of Quark's to somehow gain latinum from a 15 year old?

Stay Tuned

Jake's shiteating grin as he is staring into the eyes of this gorgeous actress is not acting in the slightest and it's very cute :)

Oh man just you wait as that actress becomes a recurring character.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Tony Montana have you ever watched 24?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Farecoal posted:

You didn't like that episode? What the gently caress

It just didn't do it for me, you knew there was no way Kira was a Cardi and the twist of why it was all happening was p. cool, but that Obsidian Order dude was just ridiculous and.. I just didn't get into it that much. This one though, the one I'm watching now we've just learned the babby is a Jem Hadar. That's looking interesting and also Sisko laid down the law about Jake getting Dabo action in a pretty awesome way (they haven't had the dinner yet but I'm looking forward to it now). 20, she's supposed to be 20. Ha! She has a certain grace..

bobkatt013 posted:

Tony Montana have you ever watched 24?

Nope.

Ok, bbl as I have to go and see if Sisko is really going to tell fancy-tits to keep her paws off his baby boy. There is some other plot about a Jem Hadar baby that also might be cool.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
They were thinking about making Kira a spoonhead, but changed their mind. Also the Obsidian Order is a constant threat.

Just asking about 24 as it will color how you view a furure character.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

bobkatt013 posted:

They were thinking about making Kira a spoonhead, but changed their mind. Also the Obsidian Order is a constant threat.

Just asking about 24 as it will color how you view a furure character.

One of the things that stopped that idea is that Nana Visitor was claustrophobic in the Cardassian makeup appliances and said hell no.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
At work we have a thing where one person a week answers a "getting to know" quiz on the intranet and I did it recently. One question was "Star Wars or Star Trek"? and I said I liked Star Trek but conceded that there are some bad bits such as Voyager.

Shortly after I got emailed by someone only known to me before then as "paedostache" telling me I was a big dumb idiot.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
She fell for Jake because of his poetry. Sisko was totally cool with it when he saw her with a shirt on and unsurprisingly Nog is nowhere to be seen now Jake is a man and all. It's such icky nerd fantasy.. it's like the Ferengi women being unclothed.. you can't share this with non-Trek nerds and not rightfully be ridiculed.

Odo learnt some poo poo and we found out the Jem Hadar are some staunch fuckers.

Sisko does this thing in his speech where he pauses for effect or something, but it's terrible. It's so overdone and melodramatic, also the way he over-pronounces certain words.. it's like he's a high school drama student. Kirk's pauses are legendary and natural and Picard has a natural authority in his speech.. Sisko is cardboard cutout in comparison. So far anyway.. apparently some shaving occurs and this changes things.

That was another poor episode. Onward..

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
"The Abandoned" is supposed to be about gangs and how some people are born into hosed up lifestyles that are almost impossible to leave. If that is a theme you find interesting, watch The Wire (not "The Wire," though that is an awesome ep.) and see it done well and for real.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Mm, I've heard that before. The cop show that isn't a cop show.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Tony Montana posted:

She fell for Jake because of his poetry. Sisko was totally cool with it when he saw her with a shirt on and unsurprisingly Nog is nowhere to be seen now Jake is a man and all. It's such icky nerd fantasy.. it's like the Ferengi women being unclothed.. you can't share this with non-Trek nerds and not rightfully be ridiculed.

Odo learnt some poo poo and we found out the Jem Hadar are some staunch fuckers.

Sisko does this thing in his speech where he pauses for effect or something, but it's terrible. It's so overdone and melodramatic, also the way he over-pronounces certain words.. it's like he's a high school drama student. Kirk's pauses are legendary and natural and Picard has a natural authority in his speech.. Sisko is cardboard cutout in comparison. So far anyway.. apparently some shaving occurs and this changes things.

Sisko's style of speaking becomes, if anything, even more pronounced. And it is the best. Just think of it as how he talks, because that's basically Avery Brooks in real life.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
S3 E7 Civil Defense

Ok, this premise sounds fun. We've tripped this (frankly awesome) thing the Cardies designed and it's locked some bros in a place. If you buy some software and it does something weird, call support. If you car fucks up and you have no idea what is going on, you take it back to the manufacturer or a mechanic. What does the super-humans of DS9 conclude is a smart thing to do? Lets gently caress with it some and see if we can sort it. Just call the Cardies.. end of episode. Nope, Odo is going to use his old clearance and gently caress around writing a new autoexec.bat and that might just do something.. who the gently caress knows.

update: they've been on this station for years now and they still don't know about what appears to be a fuckload of poo poo it does and capabilities it has. O'Brien, what have you been doing all this time? Is someone going to loving call support and get the servers back up rather than loving around with poo poo you don't understand? (real life interjection)

update: Dukat has arrived and is being so awesome that he has saved the whole episode

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 22, 2014

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Tony Montana posted:

ugh

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Tony Montana posted:

Sisko does this thing in his speech where he pauses for effect or something, but it's terrible. It's so overdone and melodramatic, also the way he over-pronounces certain words.. it's like he's a high school drama student.

Actually, he's a university theatre professor. :eng101:

Devil's Advocate
Nov 22, 2004
Honestly, what has the devil ever done to YOU?

Tony Montana posted:

S3 E7 Civil Defense

Ok, this premise sounds fun. We've tripped this (frankly awesome) thing the Cardies designed and it's locked some bros in a place. If you buy some software and it does something weird, call support. If you car fucks up and you have no idea what is going on, you take it back to the manufacturer or a mechanic. What does the super-humans of DS9 conclude is a smart thing to do? Lets gently caress with it some and see if we can sort it. Just call the Cardies.. end of episode. Nope, Odo is going to use his old clearance and gently caress around writing a new autoexec.bat and that might just do something.. who the gently caress knows.

update: they've been on this station for years now and they still don't know about what appears to be a fuckload of poo poo it does and capabilities it has. O'Brien, what have you been doing all this time? Is someone going to loving call support and get the servers back up rather than loving around with poo poo you don't understand? (real life interjection)

update: Dukat has arrived and is being so awesome that he has saved the whole episode

I just watched this episode the other night, and had almost the same reaction. I was able to suspend my disbelief on the whole "oh no hidden security measures" thing because, being such a fan of TOS, I figure starfleet is usually too baked to care about that sort of thing most of the time.

Dukat, however, signaled the turn from an alright episode into a great one. He's simply glorious in that ep.

Edit: I also really liked the escalation. Every time they came up with a Surefire Plan To Solve Things BAM. Dukat.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Imagine my surprise when I received a distress call... from myself! :smuggo:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
He was cracking onto Kira? yeah, that was great fun.. I don't think it's wrong to like Dukat more than the station cast. When he went to the replicator and swapped the shooty thing for a cup of tea, then continued to drink it and ponce around talking about poo poo while the shooty thing kept blasting them all.. that was very excellent.

gently caress Wes, why don't you just put me on ignore? You're always such a little bitch. I'm happy to do the same for you, I've never read anything you've written and wanted to see more.

Devil's Advocate
Nov 22, 2004
Honestly, what has the devil ever done to YOU?

Tony Montana posted:

He was cracking onto Kira? yeah, that was great fun.. I don't think it's wrong to like Dukat more than the station cast. When he went to the replicator and swapped the shooty thing for a cup of tea, then continued to drink it and ponce around talking about poo poo while the shooty thing kept blasting them all.. that was very excellent.

gently caress Wes, why don't you just put me on ignore? You're always such a little bitch. I'm happy to do the same for you, I've never read anything you've written and wanted to see more.

The only thing better than the tea moment was when he tried to beam out. That look on his face as he realized all that :smug: was backfiring was exquisite.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
There's a reason for the increased Obsidian Order stuff, Tony, as you'll see later in the season in a doozie of a two parter. In the meantime you've got Defiant to look forward to which has a nice callback to TNG and is the source of one of my favourite Star Trek gifs. I'll admit Sisko's speech patterns were a bit offputting at first but they really grew on me and I honestly struggle to decide between him and Picard in the favourite Captain's voice poll, just that silky growl of his he sometimes uses :allears:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tony Montana posted:

That scene has been described in many ways in this thread's many incarnations, but this may be the best.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
Chief, do you remember the time we rescued Captain Picard from the Borg?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

ayb posted:

Chief, do you remember the time we rescued Captain Picard from the Borg?

This is a goofy line but it's ok because I like to imagine most of the audience went "hahah gently caress yeah I remember that poo poo was boss" at the same time.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
A couple of questions the final Star Trek 4 Federation Council scene:

What's the red stripe on the strap? I think there's another admiral in another shot with a gold stripe. It's the only time those stripes are *ever* seen on those uniforms.

Why are those Vulcans smiling? I mean, okay, maybe they're just extras who don't know any better... shouldn't Nimoy have noticed and re-shot?

kelvron posted:

They really put a lot of thought into the full spread of uniform designs. Scotty's work vest, protective engineering suits, and enlisted uniforms as well. Starfleet may not be a military, but it has a rank structure and some of the functions of one, might as well look the part.

I kinda want that bomber jacket that Admiral wore in STIII.

Timby covered the vest, and the enlisted uniforms were just a way to save money by modifying all the leftover jumpsuits from TMP.

But, regardless, I do still love the variety in costuming in the movies, in stark contrast to TNG where I don't think they ever put on a goddamn spacesuit until First Contact.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Practical reasons aside, I really appreciate the variety of uniforms. It's easy to recycle to save money, but they attempted to recycle and stay internally consistent. I really appreciate that.

As far as the straps go, your guess is as good as mine. I don't think there was ever an in-universe or costumer explanation for it. Hell, I never noticed it until you pointed it out. If I was to spitball, it would probably have to do with special admiral ranks within the command structure. Like an admiral of a medical academy, or an admiral running a shipyard. Something that would require specialization as opposed to pure command experience.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The answer is obvious, that guy was a member of

REDSQUADREDSQUADREDSQUAD

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Tighclops posted:

The answer is obvious, that guy was a member of

REDSQUADREDSQUADREDSQUAD

RED SQUAD DEAD SQUAD :getin:

(spoilered for the guy watching through DS9)

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

bobkatt013 posted:

We would have not gotten the wonderful phonecall if that happened, and that has to be one of the best examples of an actor going no just no.

Wait... wonderful phone call?

In other news, I found out some more of the acting past of the Sisko.

http://www.amazon.com/Twelve-Years-Solomon-Northups-Odyssey/dp/B001UB6X0Y

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

So I finally decided to bite the bullet and actually do a run through of voyager on Netflix (Figured out how to get Netflix in Australia. And no thats not :files:, its a right guaranteed under Australian parallel import laws which forbid import restrictions on media based on region).

Anyway, honestly sometimes its not that bad. Theres a few good episodes in here that could easily be TNG episodes if you flipped the cast around.

But holy poo poo , gently caress the holodeck. I mean seriously did they really think people tuned into a sci-fi show to watch period drama on acid? It sucked on TNG. It sucked on DS9, and it sucks on Voyager.

But outside of that and my vague desire to reach into the screen and punch neelix in the head, its OK so far. Then again I'm only starting the second season, so it could all be downhill from here

v:shobon:v

But hey, I really enjoyed Enterprise , so maybe I'm a loving weirdo with no good taste in nerd TV.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
"Ponce about talking poo poo" is basically the best description of Dukat's standard MO.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Why are those Vulcans smiling? I mean, okay, maybe they're just extras who don't know any better... shouldn't Nimoy have noticed and re-shot?

Maybe they're just Vulcanoids. :ninja: or they have gas

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Could those be Romulan ambassadors?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Skeesix posted:

In other news, I found out some more of the acting past of the Sisko.

Also my mom was in a play with him in college. I started watching DS9 when I was 10 and my mom came in one time and was like "Hey, I know that guy" and then showed me a bunch of pictures of them in costume. That was when I realized my mom might have been cool in the 70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
My mom was a waitress in the Milwaukee area in the 60s and frequently served a Hollywood actress named Salome Jens who went on to become The Female Changeling.

• Locked thread