Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

FrozenVent posted:

They also have a longstanding obsession with hoarding money, soooo...

I don't think that cuts to the issue of the many different ways the Swiss have screwed their military.

toothpick attachment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FullMetalJacket posted:

they use the D models and "limited personnel" restrict flight operations.

"Dec 27/10: Finland/ Switzerland. A $66.2 million firm-fixed-price delivery order under the basic ordering agreement for weapon replaceable assemblies and other complex parts used in retrofitting F/A-18C/D aircraft for the governments of Finland (62/ $44.6M/ 67%), and Switzerland (33/ $21.6M/ 33%).

Work will be performed in Cedar Rapids, IA (44.8%); St. Louis, MO (26.8%); Fort Worth, TX (14.9%); Oakland, NJ (6.4%); Grand Rapids, MI (3.3%); Butler, NJ (1.3%); Sylmar, CA (1%); Killdeer, ND (0.5%); Mesa, AZ (0.4%); El Segundo, CA (0.3%); Wallingford, CT (0.2%); and Horsham, PA (0.1%), and is expected to be complete in April 2015. US Naval Air Systems Command in Patuxent River, MD manages the contract on behalf of these Foreign Military Sale clients (N00019-11-G-0001)."

source: http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/f18-hornets-keeping-em-flying-02816/

Aren't they planning on replacing the whole thing with Gripens by about 2018 or so anyways?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Naturally Selected posted:

Aren't they planning on replacing the whole thing with Gripens by about 2018 or so anyways?

looks like just their even older F-5s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_Gripen#Potential_and_future_operators

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Keep in mind that Switzerland is a country that flew the Hawker Hunter until 1994.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

Keep in mind that Switzerland is a country that flew the Hawker Hunter until 1994.

So did England?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

This is a bit random, but this crappy winter has me thinking about warmer days and what to do with them, so.... what are the bigger air shows around the country? If there were one airshow on the east coast to see in 2014 which would you guys recommend?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

eggyolk posted:

This is a bit random, but this crappy winter has me thinking about warmer days and what to do with them, so.... what are the bigger air shows around the country? If there were one airshow on the east coast to see in 2014 which would you guys recommend?

If you want to see oooold things flying, Rhinebeck is worth visiting.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

eggyolk posted:

It's not particularly big, nor is it on the East Coast, but Thunder Over Michigan is my local air show and it's pretty great.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ardeem posted:

If you want to see oooold things flying, Rhinebeck is worth visiting.

Oh wow, I didn't realize this was actually day-trip distance from the city. :neckbeard: Definitely going this summer, might even spring for a ride!

E: $75 a pop? Hell the gently caress yeah. Gonna fly in a 90-year old plane. :neckbeard: I wonder If they let you take photos/vids while flying.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 20, 2014

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Flew in a pretty interesting area last week...

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
My first thought is "Man, that's beautiful."

My second thought is, "I hope that isn't the model with the rubber band powered single circuit hydraulics"

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

It's not the Swiss' fault the Hunter is one of the most beautiful aircraft ever designed

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
Some more scans from my dad's collection. This is the LHR (London Heathrow) approach in 1971 - some interesting types here.

Vickers Vanguard

Ilyushin IL-18

Early model DC-8. That's a big-rear end rudder.

737-100. Only 30 of these were built.

737-200. Note the longer forward fuselage.

Boeing 720. Surprised it had the range to fly from Pakistan to London, unless it stopped off somewhere?

BAe Trident. Like a 727, only rubbish.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Axeman Jim posted:

Boeing 720. Surprised it had the range to fly from Pakistan to London, unless it stopped off somewhere?

BAe Trident. Like a 727, only rubbish.

The 720 would have had to stop somewhere; Karachi-London is right on the edge of the 720's range with max fuel. Also, that's a Trident 3B, which was actually a wierd-rear end four-engine version of the Trident; in addition to the three Rolls-Royce Spey turbofans, it had an RB.162 as a booster engine, mounted in that spike above the centre engine (and feeding from the centre engine duct). You know, instead of doing the sensible thing and fit larger engines, like Boeing did with the 727 and even Tupolev with the Tu-154...nope, we're going to fit an engine that's going to be dead weight for all but five minutes of the flight!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
So Kate Upton did a thing in a plane. Which was pretty aeronautical and insane.

Some videos of it here
http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/kate-upton-goes-zero-gravity-sports-illustrated-photoshoot/

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Axeman Jim posted:

Ilyushin IL-18

Oddly enough, SP-LSE managed to survive retirement as a restaurant (a weirdly common fate among Eastern Bloc airliners, actually) only to be destroyed by vandals who set her alight.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

eggyolk posted:

Luke Days!

Well, it's east of California.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

D C posted:

Flew in a pretty interesting area last week...

Is that a Bell 206?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Bob A Feet posted:

Is that a Bell 206?

No.

Looks like one of these, to me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurocopter_AS350

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 21, 2014

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

hobbesmaster posted:

StandardVC10 posted:

So did England?

They're still in use for a ground attack role by the Lebanese Air Force :psyduck:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

They're still in use for a ground attack role by the Lebanese Air Force :psyduck:

To be fair, the LAF has a total of what, 20 fixed-wing craft and use Hueys as bombers so the Hunter is pretty low on the list of :psyduck:-worthy poo poo there.

Reading up on the LAF is pretty great, though. Bought 1 helicopter that served for 40+ years. It did lead me to this beaut though

Italians sure know how to build them purty :3:

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 21, 2014

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Either :thejoke: or you're thinking that that Belgian Air force version of a french trainer is italian...

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

So Kate Upton did a thing in a plane. Which was pretty aeronautical and insane.

Some videos of it here
http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/kate-upton-goes-zero-gravity-sports-illustrated-photoshoot/

The future is now:

(also, judging from the video, that must have been a bitch of a photo shoot to do)

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SybilVimes posted:

Either :thejoke: or you're thinking that that Belgian Air force version of a french trainer is italian...

I made a :downs: and decided it was an Italian design for some reason. Livery's Belgian, but I was sure the craft was of Italian design.

To be fair, I just woke up when I posted that. Think I saw an Italian flag on the list of LAF craft and saw the red livery and went FERRARI :downs:

Captain Postal posted:

(also, judging from the video, that must have been a bitch of a photo shoot to do)

Getting stills/lighting/video steady on a vomit comet, without nailing poo poo down with roofing nails... :barf: And not just from the parabolic flight.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 21, 2014

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

To be fair, the LAF has a total of what, 20 fixed-wing craft and use Hueys as bombers so the Hunter is pretty low on the list of :psyduck:-worthy poo poo there.

Reading up on the LAF is pretty great, though. Bought 1 helicopter that served for 40+ years. It did lead me to this beaut though

I think you ment to link to a picture of this v tail.

Colonel K posted:

My favourite v-tail twin

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ardeem posted:

I think you ment to link to a picture of this v tail.

New challenge: someone find a picture of an ugly V-tail. The worst I've seen was pedestrian.

And yes, that thing is so goddamn gorgeous.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

New challenge: someone find a picture of an ugly V-tail. The worst I've seen was pedestrian.

And yes, that thing is so goddamn gorgeous.

V-tail Thunderceptor. And as a friend just pointed out, the F-117 is an acquired taste.

Underappreciated Republic product right here, the XF-12 Rainbow.

Those aren't turboprops, those are tightly cowled 4360's.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 21, 2014

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Slo-Tek posted:

V-tail Thunderceptor. And as a friend just pointed out, the F-117 is an acquired taste.

Underappreciated Republic product right here, the XF-12 Rainbow.

Those aren't turboprops, those are tightly cowled 4360's.

Say what you will about the F-117, Have Blue was downright adorable.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Ardeem posted:

That sure looks like an Iranian mock-up...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ardeem posted:

I wonder where that picture was taken...

Edit: Oh yeah ugly V-tails. Tacit Blue.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 21, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dr. Klas posted:

That sure looks like an Iranian mock-up...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Have+Blue

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Yeah, I know. It still looks like it was made by Iranians with whatever plywood material they happened to have laying around in the workshop.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Better than that, they were actually brought out of retirement for that purpose in 2008.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Slo-Tek posted:

I personally don't find this one ugly, but then again I'm a sucker for early jet interceptors.

hobbesmaster posted:

I wonder where that picture was taken...

Edit: Oh yeah ugly V-tails. Tacit Blue.

I never realized just how big Tacit Blue was until I saw it at the Air Museum in Dayton (finally got into that hanger back in January). For some reason I always thought it was smaller.

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW

Ardeem posted:

Oh weird, I really didn't know haveblue had an A-tail.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
For some reason i thought that the Haveblue was a UAV, what was the role that it would be doing ? It just looks like a smaller F-117.
Just saw this crosswind landing on a fails compilation (@8:19m)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Micr0chiP posted:

For some reason i thought that the Haveblue was a UAV, what was the role that it would be doing ? It just looks like a smaller F-117.
Just saw this crosswind landing on a fails compilation (@8:19m)

HAVE BLUE was the prototype for the F-117. Two were built and it was flown exclusively at Area 51. Both crashed and the debris was buried somewhere in Nellis range.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Right, it's role (and Tacit Blue's as well) was being a technology demonstrator. Not every experimental aircraft is a preproduction prototype.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I love 50s jets so much. The Hawker Hunter's gun ports do a bottle whistle effect which is known as the "blue note". It is the most futuristic noise known to man and it has inspired all sorts of sci-fi sound designers how to make the movie spaceships sound - I would think that includes the TIE fighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIhTsA4vPj8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9tf4zydHGk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What's the best Skunkworks book?