Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Gortarius posted:

If you want actual 3D with shapes other than rectangles, it is the worst possible choice. If you want 2D, it is a very good choice. From what I've seen GMS has some good examples/tutorials that you go through step by step in the editor itself.

GMS is no longer the buggy piece of poo poo it was a year ago, nowadays we have no one to blame but ourselves when something goes wrong.

If I recall correctly, there is a free demo version you can check out, it has a handful of features locked and maybe some watermark when you boot your games but you can use it for as long as you want.

They changed the structure of what costs money, so now you can get the "Studio" version and export games for free. As a Klik n' Play and Games Factory connoisseur, it definitely has a tool set that allows people who aren't that familiar with game making to mess around and have fun. It's worth checking out if you want to experiment with making 2d games now that exporting is free for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Hey ToGsters, how are you guys liking Game Maker? A couple of friends and I are considering trying our hands at making some game's this spring/summer, and I was wondering if you thought it'd be a good place to start learning. I know you guys mostly got started with RPG Maker, but how's GMS treating you?
It used to be 'good to learn game making with but atrocious for any serious project'. Nowadays though, it's very good for 2D games. It's easy to learn, can have high performance, and is cross-compatible to every platform known to man.

It has some issues that we're having some trouble with for B2 (that i'm right now working on fixing), but the up-side is it is very actively developed, updates come out once or twice per month. So if you have a serious issue, you can talk directly to the developers to get it fixed.

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Hep, streaming some Barkley 2 pixel art tonight. Starting back on the pixel art, prolly going to be streaming more often.

http://www.twitch.tv/frankiepixelshow
(now on twitch, seems a lot better than Ustream so far)

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Hep, streaming some Barkley 2 pixel art tonight. Starting back on the pixel art, prolly going to be streaming more often.

(now on twitch, seems a lot better than Ustream so far)
Just make sure you never try to use it during prime time.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Chef Boyardee posted:

Maybe. It's just very old, it's not very well made, it's the product of a 15 year old mind that's developed quite a bit since then.

I'm also a giant moron who's easily amused by bleep bloops, so there's that.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Anyone happen to have a link to these on Youtube or something? Twitch breaks my flash player for some reason.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

tinkerttoy posted:

Anyone happen to have a link to these on Youtube or something? Twitch breaks my flash player for some reason.

They take a while to do the editing and uploading to youtube, but it will be there eventually. Watch this space: https://www.youtube.com/user/SpeedDemosArchiveSDA/videos

On the topic of Chef music, I love the titles of songs in the music pack. I've been using baseballgrandpa666 as a username on IRC since the pack was released.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

NickPancakes posted:

They take a while to do the editing and uploading to youtube, but it will be there eventually. Watch this space: https://www.youtube.com/user/SpeedDemosArchiveSDA/videos

Thank you very much.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

NickPancakes posted:

On the topic of Chef music, I love the titles of songs in the music pack. I've been using baseballgrandpa666 as a username on IRC since the pack was released.

Glad you like them. I don't remember any of their names.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
Part of me really wants to hear what fatlong is. FIREBALL must be boss music.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I like feliz navigames

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Hep, gonna be streaming more Barkley 2 pixel art today, and ill probably keep going tonight. Drop by n say hi.
A lot of NPCs for Brain City coming up. Cyborgs and robots, and some soldier types.

EDIT: We lost power here for a while so the stream went on and off... Back on for now tho.

FrankieSmileShow fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 21, 2014

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Space Jam 2 is a thing..

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yessssss!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

more importantly, is it canon?

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Can't wait to hear the new theme song

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
The whole thing with Lebron is just a distraction and this is The Barkley movie.

I want to believe so bad.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

DrManiac posted:

more importantly, is it canon?

According to Twitter, Barkley: Shut Up and Jam 2 (the actual console game sequel) is apocryphal, so possibly no.

Perhaps Barkley 3 will feature an alternate universe where nothing went horribly wrong and Shut Up and Jam 2 and Space Jam 2 are implied to have happened.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

E: NM

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

quote:

Well it was fun while it lasted. LeBron sources refute Deadline report, there's no Space Jam 2 or Warner Bros. project in works
— Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN)

quote:

Source close to LeBron says there has been no substantive discussions regarding his starring in a Space Jam sequel.
— darren rovell (@darrenrovell)

welp

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Tales of Game's shot down Space Jam 2 to prevent possible Barkley 2 and Barkley 3 spoilers.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Brian Windhorst made a logical fallacy. Just because LeBron won't neccessarily be in it doesn't mean it's not a Thing. A full timeline, from present to past, is here.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I watched Big Trouble in Little China for the first time in years the other day. My wife hadn't seen it before and was commenting on how strange it is. "Is this a Kung Fu movie, a fantasy, or a comedy? This movie doesn't know what it is," she said. I told her the movie was basically Barkley 1, which she has played, but replace B-Ball with Chinese mythology. Then she settled down and loved the movie.

Chef Boyardee: were you as influenced by Big Trouble as I am assuming you were? I'm holding out hope that Kurt Russell can make an appearance in Barkley 2.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Railing Kill posted:

Chef Boyardee: were you as influenced by Big Trouble as I am assuming you were? I'm holding out hope that Kurt Russell can make an appearance in Barkley 2.

There are many loners, bad boys and Bōsōzoku in Barkley 2.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I'm still waiting for an of dark canon.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

weird bleep posted:

They changed the structure of what costs money, so now you can get the "Studio" version and export games for free. As a Klik n' Play and Games Factory connoisseur, it definitely has a tool set that allows people who aren't that familiar with game making to mess around and have fun. It's worth checking out if you want to experiment with making 2d games now that exporting is free for everyone.

It should be noted that the free version has some limitations. Not that it isn't very easy to make what you can and pay if and when you hit that wall, those limitations aren't particularly strict.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

a medical mystery posted:

It should be noted that the free version has some limitations. Not that it isn't very easy to make what you can and pay if and when you hit that wall, those limitations aren't particularly strict.

Thankfully, the version without those limitations is also free as long as you get it in the next week or so!

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
f

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 2, 2014

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

O__O posted:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/jArJz56.jpg

Congratulations on your literal threadshit, your parents must be so proud. :downsbravo:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 3, 2014

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Punting posted:

Congratulations on your literal threadshit, your parents must be so proud. :downsbravo:

Thanks for saving that image for posterity.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
That is actually a screenshot of one of the barkley 2 cinematics.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Is this still a thing? Projected date is like 2020 or something?

Seriously, though. How much will this cost. Are we talking like an arm? First born? (Does it have to be mine? Can I steal someone else's first born child?)

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

BambooEarpick posted:

Is this still a thing? Projected date is like 2020 or something?

Seriously, though. How much will this cost. Are we talking like an arm? First born? (Does it have to be mine? Can I steal someone else's first born child?)

The projected date is currently very late 2014.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Q4 2014 is a pretty good estimation right now, and I think that's also what the ToG sludge overlords are saying.

Price is probably going to be something like 10$, at least that is the pre-order price on the ToG site.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/shaq-fu-a-legend-reborn

So they're making Shaq Fu 2. I need confirmation from the ToG'smonauts, is this game part of the Barkley Expanded Universe?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Shaq Fu 2, rumors of Space Jam 2. Look at all these pale imitators trying to bandwagon on Barkley 2's success.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
It's worse than we thought.

Dark canon has spread too much. It'll soon outpace the truest of true. What horrible un-truths... ... ...

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Shaq Fu 2 is going to be abysmal.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, that's really not the kind of thing you can dredge up 20 years later and play completely straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, that's really not the kind of thing you can dredge up 20 years later and play completely straight.

Not to insult our Barkley Overlords, but isn't that literally exactly how Barkley Shut Up And Jam: Gaiden happened?