Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Online tip 2: Remember to bring your bullets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Whoa. So busy playing Battlefield I almost missed this. Quick question though, is it like 2017 where you can just grind armour if you're having difficulty getting through a stage? I had a look at the quicklook on Giantbomb, and it looks like you have armour, and a health bar? :confused:

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Online tip 3 - tackling a small group of hectors? Try to surround the group and draw them away from one another. Hell, surround a single Hector to confuse its aim.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

limited posted:

Whoa. So busy playing Battlefield I almost missed this. Quick question though, is it like 2017 where you can just grind armour if you're having difficulty getting through a stage? I had a look at the quicklook on Giantbomb, and it looks like you have armour, and a health bar? :confused:

Online has armor limits, but it's not unreasonable. I think offline you can do as much as you want, though.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

limited posted:

It's just like 2017.

The GB Quick Look was awful to watch. I can understand that not everyone enjoys this type of game, but to watch someone be so dismissive of it because he can't read words on the screen in front of him is just infuriating.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

FuSchnick posted:

The GB Quick Look was awful to watch. I can understand that not everyone enjoys this type of game, but to watch someone be so dismissive of it because he can't read words on the screen in front of him is just infuriating.

I thought it was hilarious but I went into it knowing that they wouldn't really enjoy it or do it any justice. But yeah, Brad is awful at games in general, I can't watch him play Demon Souls.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

general chaos posted:

Online tip 3 - tackling a small group of hectors? Try to surround the group and draw them away from one another. Hell, surround a single Hector to confuse its aim.

Or on that early mission where they drop out of the big AT-AT thing, lure them in front of the legs and watch as they get helplessly kicked a half mile into the city.

MikeRabsitch fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 22, 2014

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I can only assume the second group I was with thought I was making the transport ships up, because not a loving one of them ever lifted a finger to even try helping me out. After a half dozen or so attempts to do it on my own, I gave up. My Goliath's a one-shot with a five-second reload, it ain't gonna solo three transports on Hard on its own. I even pointed it out to them to target the transports first but they weren't havin' any of it.

My guess? No eyes. Clearly they didn't see the ants falling out of the sky, else they might wonder where they were comin' from! :downs:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, you know, according to the troopers you can just close your eyes and shoot without missing. Maybe they were just trying it out.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

ChibiSoma posted:

My guess? No eyes. Clearly they didn't see the ants falling out of the sky, else they might wonder where they were comin' from! :downs:
But it's more kills, right? :downs:

FuSchnick posted:

I agree about the quicklook. EDF is hardly a :pcgaming:TITLE OF 2014:pcgaming: and I'm sure the GB team is a busy bunch, but jeezus. There's a reason why 90% of games put tutorials ingame instead of relying on manuals nowadays. It was a good look at how the game ran, but as far as explaining the game itself, meh.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Lies, EDF is game of the year. Straight up.

I probably wont play any game that gives me this much fun until the PS4 version comes out.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ChibiSoma posted:

The thing I am learning about this game's online is that everyone sucks.
On the Japanese side, the people left playing it this long after launch are mostly really good at the game (and I'd like to think of myself as being among them). It will happen on the Western servers eventually, I assume.

Also, no one has answered my question about a Japanese voice option. I assume that means there isn't one?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

jesus christ Inferno the stage :psyduck:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Top Gym Pumper posted:

jesus christ Inferno the stage :psyduck:

Reminder: There are over 80 levels and that one was in the mid-30s.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I swear I'll try the other classes eventually, but the Wing Diver is just too good.

SPEED IS LIFE.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

FuSchnick posted:

Who in the gently caress gives the slightest gently caress about "gaming journalism" in the year 2014? Play game, have fun. If anyone cares about reviews, go to the nearest dog park and eat their droppings.

For fucks sake we have reviewers praising the latest CoD game while calling Donkey Kong "samey". Who really gives a poo poo anymore. They all might as well be youtube personalities.

Also fencer owns your FACE!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything stupidly obvious, but is there a specific button (on 360) to call in vehicles/air strikes and other "special" actions? I'm in the very very early (first ten) missions and a few times the commentary has noted that "air strikes are ready" and poo poo like that but I have no idea how to do anything with it (playing as a Wing Diver). Also, any tips for Wing Divers in general? The speed is wonderful after slowly marching around as a ranger but I'm always eating through my Wing Energy like crazy trying to kill stuff quickly.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Fuligin posted:

I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything stupidly obvious, but is there a specific button (on 360) to call in vehicles/air strikes and other "special" actions? I'm in the very very early (first ten) missions and a few times the commentary has noted that "air strikes are ready" and poo poo like that but I have no idea how to do anything with it (playing as a Wing Diver). Also, any tips for Wing Divers in general? The speed is wonderful after slowly marching around as a ranger but I'm always eating through my Wing Energy like crazy trying to kill stuff quickly.

That just background chatter unless you're the air raider.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I've said it before, but I love the EDF troopers and their sense of childlike wonder. One of them, while under attack by fifty bus-sized insects, grumpily comments "These guys have really hurt my image of alien life. :saddowns:".

It's like the polar opposite of every overbearingly macho OSCAR MIKE OORAH DEVIL DOGS FUCKIN A MARINES FOREVER BROFIST marine in gaming.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Ughhh....Dualshock 4 doesn't work when you get into vehicles for some reason. Works fine normally, but once you enter a vehicle you can't shoot.

Have to use a normal controller like some kind of plebe now :/

Edit: Or not play the class that rains down helicopters across the battlefield. Don't know why I would do that though.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 22, 2014

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Fuligin posted:

If you have an air raider in your game, the announcements of the vehicle being ready is broadcast to all players instead of just the air raider so that's what you're probably hearing. Same thing if the air raider switches "weapons" to an artillery strike, everyone hears that for some reason.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also, no one has answered my question about a Japanese voice option. I assume that means there isn't one?

I looked and can't seem to find one. I opened a room after dicking around in other games. People are not as quick to join are hardest map as they are a hard it would seem. Oh wait I just got a random wing diver.

and they left

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Knightmare posted:

If you have an air raider in your game, the announcements of the vehicle being ready is broadcast to all players instead of just the air raider so that's what you're probably hearing. Same thing if the air raider switches "weapons" to an artillery strike, everyone hears that for some reason.

One of the Early missions (roughly the 4th) has a ton of the Air Raider Dialog all over it as the soundtrack, even single player, even if you're not an Air Raider. ("Airship Whale is ready for strike!" "Call in a strike from airship Whale!"). I think it's intended to tell players not playing a air raider what the class offers, because it then goes into "If you have an Air Raider, he can call in the strike from the Airship Whale!"

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've been waiting in a room for some guys to finish a mission... I might be playing with Bill Murray and Adam Sandler, if their voices are any indication. One makes noises and the other sounds like Garfield.

E: Definitely something screwy with the servers going on at the moment. Got dropped from the game I was in, it took ages for the Online Lobby to load up again, and Refreshing took nearly as long.

...Or maybe it's an Xbox Live problem, since that just dropped too. Internet's fine, but signing back into Live is a no-go!

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 22, 2014

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I literally just said I feel fairly confident that we're going to beat this mission and then literally 2 seconds later I got disconnected from live. I'll be back Rabid when I can connect to live again.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Neo Helbeast posted:

I literally just said I feel fairly confident that we're going to beat this mission and then literally 2 seconds later I got disconnected from live. I'll be back Rabid when I can connect to live again.

I think Live just kicked everyone off.

Also "I skipped drinking with friends to spend the night getting all the achievements in Doom 3. I am as mock-worthy as the above pictured robot.

I probably shouldn't have admitted this at random in a thread. I'm an honest soul. Yes, you look fat in that dress."

Nice.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 22, 2014

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
I was playing that iconic beach level Crimson (you all know what I'm talking about) and my Ranger friend was plinking away at them from the starting cliff, while I decided to call down a helicopter as an Air Raider.

Once we hit the credit threshold, a box plopped down right on his head, dealing 100 damage. Realism at its finest.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

:ohdear: Are we gonna die here?
:downs: YES SIR!

This game has the best dialogue in anything ever.

I ended up getting both versions of this to be able to play co-op with more people and go on even more thrilling underground expeditions. The 360 version looks better, runs much better and most importantly loads much faster. The loading times are maybe half of what they are on my PS3.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

OH NO MAN posted:

:ohdear: Are we gonna die here?
:downs: YES SIR!
Statistically....yeah, probably. It's just a question of what will get them first, giant ants or my explosive weapons.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Man, do Rangers get cooler guns?

I was playin' online hard mode going through the campaign up to mission 15 and the Wing Divers kept getting progressively crazier and crazier guns (some kinda giant death laser that shoots 8 shots at once and explodes everything, a lightning gun that travels the entire map??) while I kept getting stuff that was like "better assault rifle" or "hey it's your trusty pal the rocket launcher but now the rocket is blue'.

Also what the hell is up with the mechs being so slow. Also how do you fly helicopters. Just in general, "what is going on with air raiders?" because I kept taking the spare vehicles the one I was teamed up with would leave behind and just constantly be amazed at how slow and terrible they were.

Except the railgun tank. That thing was a lifesaver on mission 15.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So what is this Fencer Dash Cancelling I'm hearing of?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Fereydun posted:

Man, do Rangers get cooler guns?

I was playin' online hard mode going through the campaign up to mission 15 and the Wing Divers kept getting progressively crazier and crazier guns (some kinda giant death laser that shoots 8 shots at once and explodes everything, a lightning gun that travels the entire map??) while I kept getting stuff that was like "better assault rifle" or "hey it's your trusty pal the rocket launcher but now the rocket is blue'.

Also what the hell is up with the mechs being so slow. Also how do you fly helicopters. Just in general, "what is going on with air raiders?" because I kept taking the spare vehicles the one I was teamed up with would leave behind and just constantly be amazed at how slow and terrible they were.

Except the railgun tank. That thing was a lifesaver on mission 15.

There are no actually interesting or ridiculous weapons until after ~lvl 20 (which is around the normal difficulty weapon cap online at the end of the game). You've got greener grass syndrome.

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007

ChibiSoma posted:

I've been waiting in a room for some guys to finish a mission... I might be playing with Bill Murray and Adam Sandler, if their voices are any indication. One makes noises and the other sounds like Garfield.

E: Definitely something screwy with the servers going on at the moment. Got dropped from the game I was in, it took ages for the Online Lobby to load up again, and Refreshing took nearly as long.

...Or maybe it's an Xbox Live problem, since that just dropped too. Internet's fine, but signing back into Live is a no-go!

Friends and I are having problems with stability on PS3 tonight too. Hmm.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Night10194 posted:

Use a weapon that lets you dash along with a shield. Dash, then mash shield reflect until it happens, then dash again. The reflect eliminates the recovery animation on the dash so you can basically never stop until you have to reload the shield.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Even then the Ranger's idea of crazy is 30 grenades at once or a zillion homing missiles that form a big grin in the air. Or maybe a contact grenade that you can barely throw 6 feet that has a giant explosion for way more damage than anything else at that point.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Rangers ALSO get laser guns. I've only played about 14 levels on normal admitedly, but where I left off I got a sweet laser, it's pretty strong.

CONS: Limited supply of ammo. 900 count.
PROS: You can't stop firing once you pull the trigger. I suppose you could weapon swap, but that ruins half the fun of this ridiculous thing.

I also got my first Air Tortoise, I'm going to see if I can hit the open transport ship doors with it on principle eventually.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Night10194 posted:

Most fencer close range weapons let you drift if you are dashing when you use it. Like the sword you can dash, attack, then dash out of the attack to maintain dash speeds.

I'm assuming this is what you are talking about.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Ranger weapons may not be as fancy as the ones Wing Divers get but they do a drat good job of blowing poo poo up in a consistent fashion.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Any Aussie 360 goons up for some co-op tonight? I'll be on from about 4:30 PM Sydney time.

GT: Golden Armour

I can't stand 360 voice chat so if you want to play let's play with Skype or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
HOLY loving poo poo I had no idea there was a new EDF out. EDF 2017 was seriously one of my favorite games ever released on the 360. Guess it's time to dust off the ol' 360