Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
That reminds me of the WoW glitch when they first released the Death Knight class.

As part of the story-intro for the class, you would walk through the streets of your home city while civillians shout at you, throw rotten fruit etc. Said citizens were flagged as 'yellow' which is something you can attack, but won't directly attack you. Basically reinforcing that you're not a part of the faction yet.

But early on, they were a bit too liberal with that, and classed a civilian for this quest as anything yellow in a newbie-zone. If the fledgling deathknight didn't follow the plot directly but instead wandered off elsewhere, wild animals would be yelling "Monster! The scourge killed my family!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Elfface posted:

That reminds me of the WoW glitch

Clearly, they were Druids.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
One of my favourite WoW glitches was the one where Druids in travel form/Stag form could stack on each other. There was a glyph you could use that makes your Stag form a mount for others to ride on, and if another Druid mounted you and turned into his own Stag form it stacked.

So what happens when half a dozen Druids do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-hNYKyF8FA

EDIT: Here's a flying one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec-xh1VsO04

After it was fixed Blizzard added a cosmetic item as a homage to it. http://wowpedia.org/Stackable_Stag

RatHat has a new favorite as of 02:58 on Feb 16, 2014

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

In the Fallout thread someone said during development that during Fallout Tactics somehow the Radscorpions got ahold of the prostitutes' dialogue.

Instead of hissing at you, giant radioactive scorpions tried to lure you back to their brothel promising low prices and the best time in the wasteland.

I wish there were screenshots. Knowing the fallout series, it probably took the playtesters a really long time to report that as a bug.

Oh my God I can't stop laughing at this image

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Edit: wrong thread, I'm a dumbass.

Horace Kinch has a new favorite as of 05:36 on Feb 18, 2014

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So, Star Control 2 is a great game. Timewarp was, I believe, originally meant to be some sort of remake/fangame/something, but right now, it's mostly massive melee, with lots of ships and support for more than two players at the same time.

You can even pick Sa-Matra for the ship list.

Another ship is the Kat something, whose special attack is to copy the ship it currently has targeted, gaining its regular attack but the special attack will always be to tranform back.

But when a Kat copies a Sa-Matra, this "transform back" doesn't really work properly.

I'm surprised I didn't even crash the game, given how unstable it can be...

And to make that even more ridiculous, I was actually in control of multiple ships at the same time, including a bunch of Chmrr Avatars, and a few others that left copies behind when transformed back from. Yeah.

KennyMan666 has a new favorite as of 14:00 on Feb 18, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I have a feeling I've mentioned this before, but probably the first game glitch I ever discovered was in vanilla Civ 3. There's a few things you need to understand first:

One, when negotiating with AI civilizations, you could offer money as both a lump sum and as a per turn amount. The lump sum couldn't exceed the amount in your treasury, but the per turn value was not checked against how much money you were actually making per turn, so you could offer impossible amounts of gold per turn.

Two, unlike later Civ games where there are some things the AI will never trade away except as peace settlements (cities, primarily), in Civ 3 everything was on the table and everything had its price.

Three, your treasury could not run a deficit. Even if your budget dips into the red and you start losing money per turn, you can never have a negative balance in your treasury.

You can probably see where I'm going with this: the fatal flaw in the trading system was that the AI diplomacy code never checked to see if you could actually hold up your end of the bargain. So you could offer the AI a billion gold per turn, and they'd happily sell you all of their cities, even though they'd never see a penny from the deal. And you faced no repercussions for this whatsoever, since your treasury would simply hold at 0 gold. They patched this out later in one of the expansions, but there was nothing more priceless to 10-year-old me than having Abraham Lincoln trade me America for an IOU.

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

DStecks posted:

I have a feeling I've mentioned this before, but probably the first game glitch I ever discovered was in vanilla Civ 3. There's a few things you need to understand first:

One, when negotiating with AI civilizations, you could offer money as both a lump sum and as a per turn amount. The lump sum couldn't exceed the amount in your treasury, but the per turn value was not checked against how much money you were actually making per turn, so you could offer impossible amounts of gold per turn.

Two, unlike later Civ games where there are some things the AI will never trade away except as peace settlements (cities, primarily), in Civ 3 everything was on the table and everything had its price.

Three, your treasury could not run a deficit. Even if your budget dips into the red and you start losing money per turn, you can never have a negative balance in your treasury.

You can probably see where I'm going with this: the fatal flaw in the trading system was that the AI diplomacy code never checked to see if you could actually hold up your end of the bargain. So you could offer the AI a billion gold per turn, and they'd happily sell you all of their cities, even though they'd never see a penny from the deal. And you faced no repercussions for this whatsoever, since your treasury would simply hold at 0 gold. They patched this out later in one of the expansions, but there was nothing more priceless to 10-year-old me than having Abraham Lincoln trade me America for an IOU.

This makes me regret not pulling the trigger on that Sid Meier's Humble Bundle last week.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

owl_pellet posted:

Oh and that's a bad miss

This response needs more love :golfclap:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Civ 5 online multiplayer has a glitch where, if someone offers you any sort of diplomatic deal, you can modify it and then immediately accept it on the other players behalf. This came to light in a game where one friend wanted to mutually trade some luxury resources...and suddenly his treasury was cleaned out and all his cities had been "donated" to the player in last.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

HellCopter posted:

Civ 5 online multiplayer has a glitch where, if someone offers you any sort of diplomatic deal, you can modify it and then immediately accept it on the other players behalf. This came to light in a game where one friend wanted to mutually trade some luxury resources...and suddenly his treasury was cleaned out and all his cities had been "donated" to the player in last.
Civ 5 runs on Bitcoin.

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'
Not really a glitch, but rare enough to be in here:
Roller Coaster Tycoon: Fatal Merry-Go-Round Malfunction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_7S0yJwqGE
The way it speeds up--I forgot if it eventually erupted in an explosive blast of fire and destruction, but it always seems like a possibility.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.
I seem to remember seeing a glitch in some amusement park type game where a person managed to build a rollercoaster that would catapult people into a neighboring park. When they hit the ground, they'd die there, tanking that park's happiness/popularity level, which would in turn cause all the NPCs to flock to the park with the catapult rollercoaster, which would promptly launch them to their death in the neighboring park.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rodent Mortician posted:

I seem to remember seeing a glitch in some amusement park type game where a person managed to build a rollercoaster that would catapult people into a neighboring park. When they hit the ground, they'd die there, tanking that park's happiness/popularity level, which would in turn cause all the NPCs to flock to the park with the catapult rollercoaster, which would promptly launch them to their death in the neighboring park.

That's a STDH, I'm afraid.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Torchlight II has a sort of spectral wolf enemy that appears sometimes, and if you kill it, it opens a portal to a challenge arena. I got one where it's three giant tar blobs that slowly chase you around. When you hit one, it splits up into smaller ones. If you keep hitting them and don't work on crowd control, there will be so many that you won't be able to finish the fight because it'll slow your computer to a grinding halt and even crash the game. I don't know if that's intentional, but it's a pretty hardcore way to punish a player for screwing up a battle if so.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I was killed last night in Mass Effect 3 by a Keeper.

For people unfamiliar, story-wise Keepers are semi-sentient bug like aliens that work on the main hub/space station. In game, they do nothing but stand around. You can't talk with them, you don't really interact with them, and they usually just stand in the same spot, acting as an obstruction.

In Mass Effect 3, there are a lot of incidental conversations you can overhear to help flesh out just how hosed everyone is. I walked up to a pair of soldiers who were just shooting the poo poo, when I'm knocked back about 10 feet by some invisible force. This is a non-combat area, so what the hell? Turns out it's a Keeper, slowly meandering his way back to his normal resting place. Well, there was no reason for me to stick around anyway, so I tried to maneuver around it, so I could get back to my ship. He was having none of that bullshit. As I run past him, he apparently shoulder checks me so he's in his normal spot, and I go tumbling over the guardrail into the black emptiness of glitch land.

Commander Shepard, conqueror of the Geth, uniter of all races, scourge of the Reapers, and Regent of Right Hook, was taken out by the ME equivalent of a Gonk Droid.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In Sonic 3, I managed to glitch under the spinning thing in Carnival Night Zone Act 2, I was so happy to finally make it through.
Too bad I hit the ten minute mark right as the boss tunes kicked in...it wasn't funny at the time.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Tunicate posted:

That's a STDH, I'm afraid.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that none of the park management games of the 90's had multiple theme parks existing in the game space.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
In Transport Tycoon, an earlier game from the same creator, you could use a railroad crossing and good timing to cause your train to destroy the opponent's road vehicles. You could also create a traffic jam by blocking a railway crossing, and then have the line of trucks/buses come to a standstill on another railway crossing down the road. Your train would always survive collisions with road vehicles.

To mess with their trains, build your rail tracks connected to the opponent's network. Your trains would never move onto track you didn't own, but conveniently a train will stick out a little bit onto the next bit of track before it actually comes to a stop. This is all you needed to suicide your train into the opponent's.

The code that dealt with the signals didn't pay proper attention to who owned a bit of track and you could abuse this to make the opponent's signals permanently show red. One cheap train and a bit of track could bring a whole railway line to a permanent standstill.

Here's some pictures: http://george.zernebok.net/info/removeopponent.html

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

scarycave posted:

In Sonic 3, I managed to glitch under the spinning thing in Carnival Night Zone Act 2, I was so happy to finally make it through.
Too bad I hit the ten minute mark right as the boss tunes kicked in...it wasn't funny at the time.

You just press up and down on the controller, it moves it for you.

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

You just press up and down on the controller, it moves it for you.

I was stuck on that cylinder for a couple of years. I would pick up the game, enjoy myself, get to Carnival Night Zone Act 2, and try at least 5 lives to bounce that thing perfectly before running out of time. loving Sonic 3 man.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
Saints Row: The Third - I think this happened because I was playing co-op with a friend and he was transitioning in/out of a car when I got into a house.

Assassin's Creed 2

Assassin's Creed Revelations

The guy in the back

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
More Vinesauce corruptions, this time of all three SNES Donkey Kong Country games: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s50m1gh7bms

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Corn Burst posted:

I was stuck on that cylinder for a couple of years. I would pick up the game, enjoy myself, get to Carnival Night Zone Act 2, and try at least 5 lives to bounce that thing perfectly before running out of time. loving Sonic 3 man.

I figured it out after like one life, I remember being pretty impressed they tricked me though.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I figured it out after like one life, I remember being pretty impressed they tricked me though.

I remember it got so bad that for a long time after that game came out, if you called into their tip hotline, part of the automated message system would tell you about it right off the bat. Introducing new mechanics to a game with no prompting, hints, or really any reason to believe it would ever work is not the best way to go about it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As Super Sonic you can make it under the gap between the barrel and floor the hard way. If you've been collecting all the emeralds you can so far Carinval Night zone is almost the first time you can be him in Sonic 3. :eng101:

I know this because I was a dumb kid and didn't ever figure out the right way to do it. :eng99:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

I remember it got so bad that for a long time after that game came out, if you called into their tip hotline, part of the automated message system would tell you about it right off the bat. Introducing new mechanics to a game with no prompting, hints, or really any reason to believe it would ever work is not the best way to go about it.

I think "'Reset' the computer" was worse

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

neogeo0823 posted:

The fact that it was new was fine, really; the game introduces plenty of new one-shot mechanics all over the place for you to play around with without hints (especially in that stage - cannons, the spinny wheels from scrap brain zone in sonic 1, those weird balloon platforms, etc). The problem was that pressing up and down didn't look like it was doing anything, at first, while jumping up and down did look like it was doing something, but didn't end up working. So you'd pick up on that and try to jump just right - for eight loving minutes.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

DontMockMySmock posted:

The fact that it was new was fine, really; the game introduces plenty of new one-shot mechanics all over the place for you to play around with without hints (especially in that stage - cannons, the spinny wheels from scrap brain zone in sonic 1, those weird balloon platforms, etc). The problem was that pressing up and down didn't look like it was doing anything, at first, while jumping up and down did look like it was doing something, but didn't end up working. So you'd pick up on that and try to jump just right - for eight loving minutes.

Yes. The things reacted to how fast you were falling, so you thought - yeah, this is working! Except its not. And your loving dead.
Even playing it again it feels weird that jumping isn't what your supposed to do.

Chao Shoggoth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpYzjjbqOak

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I think "'Reset' the computer" was worse

Is that the X-men one, because that's actually one of my favorite things ever.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm
For some reason I can't stop thinking of the time EVE Online updater decided to brick computers.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

Is that the X-men one, because that's actually one of my favorite things ever.

Probably shouldn't do an extended chat about this in the glitches thread, but for an xmen game on the genesis, you get to near the end of the game and then it tells you your next objective is to reset mojos computer.

There's no button combination to press, and people eventually shut the console off.

Somehow the completely evil designers coded it to where if you press that little reset button on the Genesis, it loads the next level.

That is way worse than Sonic 3.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

There's no button combination to press, and people eventually shut the console off.

Somehow the completely evil designers coded it to where if you press that little reset button on the Genesis, it loads the next level.

Even worse, there was a time limit. If you didn't reset the console before it hit 0, it was a game over.

Stick Insect posted:

In Transport Tycoon, an earlier game from the same creator, you could use a railroad crossing and good timing to cause your train to destroy the opponent's road vehicles.

Not quite as directly destructive, but somewhat related. There was at one point an Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe AI competition, where one entrant was an AI that never built any real kind of transport system by itself. Instead, it would basically latch onto roads built by opponents and eventually just run everyone else's transportation networks as some kind of bizarre corporate parasite. Instead of programming their bot to play the game well, the creators of it had decided to just ruthlessly exploit every glitch and oversight they could - it would sell buses with people still inside them because it got paid the second they started offloading, pawn cargo trucks whenever they'd be empty on the way back, and finally boost it's score by sinking itself massively into debt in such a way that the first loan repayment would be expected exactly a second after the game ended.
Apparently the glitches exploited by it have since been fixed - they weren't present in Transport Tycoon, and weren't intended behaviour in OpenTTD.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Probably shouldn't do an extended chat about this in the glitches thread, but for an xmen game on the genesis, you get to near the end of the game and then it tells you your next objective is to reset mojos computer.

That is way worse than Sonic 3.

There's a point in MGS2 where it tries to trick you into shutting off the console. It's pretty mean.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

RatHat posted:

There's a point in MGS2 where it tries to trick you into shutting off the console. It's pretty mean.

The fake resets in the developer's room endings of Chrono Trigger/Cross are pretty evil too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 minutes!
Toilet Rascal

RatHat posted:

Eternal Darkness can do a dead-on simulation of a CRT powering off. It will also turn down your volume (complete with onscreen indicator), pretend your controller is disconnected, and suddenly pop up a message that says "Thanks for playing the demo!"

It was really the king of this kind of messing with your head, and no one else is going to dethrone it because Nintendo patented that idea.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Arkham Asylum must be violating those patents, then.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Suspicious Dish posted:

Arkham Asylum must be violating those patents, then.

Nintendo's patent is specifically for the use of effects tied to the sanity meter in the game, and the semi-random selection of sanity effects based on locale and the level of your meter. Games are still pretty much free to do the plot-based stuff like AA did, far as I can tell.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

m2pt5 posted:

The fake resets in the developer's room endings of Chrono Trigger/Cross are pretty evil too.

Hell there was one half-way through Chrono Trigger, in the monster town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hell there was one half-way through Chrono Trigger, in the monster town.

Wait what? Where was this?