Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

Maybe, but drat those monitors are nice :allears:

They are, but that particular model is super cheap. Less than $100 on eBay cheap. I'm kinda pulling for them now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

TheRedEye posted:

I'm going back to my original theory, then: this was sent in for repair.

Weird. On the upside, I have both a copy of Zanac AND another 5 screw cart for the collection! :v:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bing the Noize posted:

Aren't there rumors Microsoft's gonna sell the Xbox division?

They are rumors on the level of "NEC's going to launch the TurboGrafx 32 in 2015 and take the world by storm"

Random Stranger posted:

Actually, the reason they picked up on it is that the Xbox division has been a black hole of money for Microsoft for the past ten years. It generates a lot of income (though nothing close to their business divisions) but it's absurdly expensive. It's like when Sony bought Tristar pictures back in the 90's; they want to be in the entertainment business and have been willing to just throw money at it for the sake of prestige and some nebulous "supporting other business units" reasons. Big investors have been wanting them to dump Xbox for years.

That's because the "xbox division" also includes tons of other poo poo that doesn't make money, like the Surface RT tablets, and other stuff like that.

Also those big investors have never been right about anything, because they're the same people who advocate things like "drop Microsoft office" or "remove backwards compatibility from windows"

univbee posted:

I guess I meant more "just" in a "units sold" sense. Not a whole lot of people were dropping crazy money on them in that 6-year span, and I think at least here there was gently caress-all use for anything above 480p in that time; my first exposure to HDTV was going to a TV studio in late 2001.

Yeah but if you're going to go by that, HDMI was a "premium" feature for several more years, to the point where the Xbox 360 launched as an HD console with models that were component/1080i only.

Diet Sodium
Apr 29, 2009

McCracAttack posted:

Saw this over on reddit and thought this thread might get a chuckle. Someone in Oklahoma City is shooting for the moon.

This is a little ridiculous. I've been trying to get ahold of a guy for a few days that is selling a 21" PVM for a few days. It's 10 bucks and of course he won't answer my texts or calls. I want to give him my money dammit.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Silhouette posted:

Ok. Time for some weirdness.

I bought a copy of Zanac for NES on eBay the other day. Turns out it's a rare 5 screw version.

If you peel back the sticker is there a window underneath? I'm guessing this is someone's EPROM cart.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

McCracAttack posted:

Saw this over on reddit and thought this thread might get a chuckle. Someone in Oklahoma City is shooting for the moon.

That doesn't seem a terribly unreasonable price to me. The games would probably be about 100 bucks, the modded system also 100... maybe a little pricey for the monitor?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Cloks posted:

That doesn't seem a terribly unreasonable price to me. The games would probably be about 100 bucks, the modded system also 100... maybe a little pricey for the monitor?

Heck, I have that same model monitor and I've been trying to pawn it off for $50 for the longest time. Not a lot of RGB purists scouring Craigslist, I guess.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Cloks posted:

I dunno, $100 for the modded system is a bit high. I guess since he's throwing in cables that might be in the ballpark, but $200 for the monitor is flat ridiculous. It'd cost less to find a similar PVM on eBay and have it freighted to you.

Install Windows posted:

Yeah but if you're going to go by that, HDMI was a "premium" feature for several more years, to the point where the Xbox 360 launched as an HD console with models that were component/1080i only.

Not only that, it was nearly two years between release of the console and the first HDMI-capable versions. At least a system update in the interim supported 1080p output over component.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

the wizards beard posted:

If you peel back the sticker is there a window underneath? I'm guessing this is someone's EPROM cart.

I'm not pulling it back, and that's not an EPROM.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Eeproms aren't 1:1 pinout this was something done by Nintendo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Xik posted:

I have a question for the thread: Why do you, personally, collect retro games and use original hardware? The alternative being playing retro games through emulation, compilation discs for modern consoles or something like the Virtual Console.

I just noticed this question (was concentrating on you getting your SNES working and missed it; by the way try what I said and change sync_level).

I personally don't really "collect" in that I don't need every game ever made, and I won't buy myself a game if it's too expensive. So it's not so much that I collect but that I find myself enjoying the game much more if I have the physical game itself.

Having the actual console is pure nostalgia though, that I admit. I refused to use the SNES 2 only because it didn't look like what I remembered. No qualms about admitting that. I did not grow up with a Genesis but insisted on the model 1 because any of my friends who had the Genesis had the model 1.

Anyway, I like having the actual carts because I am more inclined to actually play them than if they were a 2mb file sitting on a hard drive. However, I am like this with many things. I am more likely to read an entire news article if I am reading it in a newspaper than on a website. I'm more likely to read a book if I have a physical copy. I think a lot of it has to do with being overindulged with too much when everything is digital and ridiculously accessible. You know how you listened to and appreciated an album way more when you had it on vinyl/cassette because it was a bit more work to skip tracks? Kind of like that.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I swung by Phoenix Games today and picked up some gaps in my collection!

The only series here I have any experience in is DOA and Timesplitters. Should make for a pretty fun weekend!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I just noticed this question (was concentrating on you getting your SNES working and missed it; by the way try what I said and change sync_level).

Already have, in case you missed it:

Xik posted:

I had another play around. When using a cable with a sync stripper, the output is black and the mini acknowledges that there is a signal. When going back to the standard one I get no_input again. Both play sound fine. Playing with the Sync_Level on the mini doesn't change anything, or more accurately, doesn't fix it. The cable without the sync stripper was the one that had been previously working.

I'll probably hold off on doing anything more until I get the PS2 RGB cable to test and make sure the mini is all right. If it is, I can think about what I want to do with the SNES. If not, then I'll just have to use s-video input on the mini.

If it does end up being the SNES, is there a simple (visual) guide somewhere out there to wiring up the csync?

It's pretty interesting to read up about the reason you all prefer owning the original hardware and carts. Some of it doesn't resonate with me because I have no nostalgia for it. The only retro console I own at the moment is one I never had as a kid.

The "collecting" part doesn't really do it for me either. I don't really like having lots of "stuff". I would even go so far as to say it irritates me having stuff I don't constantly use around me.

I can (strangely) totally understand the "motivation" aspect of it though. When I had all the roms sitting there on my PC, I very rarely played through a game from start to finish. I'd just flick through games all the time. With the hardware, I've managed to either get really far or finish plenty of games. That sort of seems backwards though doesn't it? With emulators you can (ab)use save states, but with the cart you actually have to tediously replay content over and over, and over... (SGnG :arghfist:).

Also, some of the old hardware is loving sexy.

luigionlsd
Jan 9, 2006

i dont know what this is i think its some kind of nazi giraffe or nazi mountains or something i dont know
Which one of you posted this on Cleveland (OH) Craigslist:

http://youngstown.craigslist.org/wan/4298448902.html

WANTED: Sony PVM, 14" or 20"

I'm looking for a Sony PVM (Professional Video Monitor) in good, working condition. I've never seen any show up on craigslist or eBay around the Youngstown area, but I am certain there are some out there somewhere!

If you have any 14" or 20" models in good condition, please contact me with pictures and the model number, and we can discuss a price. Thank you!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I wouldn't go so far as to say that; your SNES may not be sending a properly formatted Y/Pb/Pr signal out in the first place. Are you sure that you aren't tapping straight RGB (which your TVs 99.9% would be unable to handle) from the chip?

The SCART-to-component transcoder takes the RGB that your SNES is already outputting from the multi-out port, and formats it to a normal Y/Pb/Pr (i.e. component) spec. So long as the component inputs on your TV aren't busted, it should work.

I'm sure it's not RGB. lots of modern TVs don't handle 240p over component. I'm just gonna have to find one that does to make sure this works then sell this sexy bitch.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
ITT POST YOUR FAVORITE NES/FAMICOM CONTROLLERS

I was worried at first because the Gravis joystick seemed to have lots of deadspots and was pretty unreliable at first... however after a couple hours of combined usage it works so nice and smooth!

I 100% recommend all the controllers you see here. Now I just need to wait and find a decent deal on a Hudson Joycard.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Xik posted:

Why do you, personally, collect retro games and use original hardware?

I have 2.5 points for me:

* It's reclaiming my childhood -- it's going back to play all those games I rented from the local video rental shack for a weekend at a time, and it's reclaiming all the games I sold off as a kid for store credit to get the next greatest console.

* In my case, I like holding to tiny bits of history of 90s game development. For example, I really like collecting games where the US and Japanese releases have significant differences. Or major "firsts" in the industry -- for ex, the first successful dating sim, the first successful FPS on a console, etc. I love beautiful failures too; for example, the 64DD.

* I love games that emulators still haven't gotten right after twenty years. This category is steadily shrinking, but I love it, mostly because it has some fantastic games in this group. (This is pretty much the only reason to own a copy of Speedy Gonzales for the SNES, for example.)

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 22, 2014

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Got this lot in the mail today:

I don't think there's anything particularly rare or interesting about them, I just vastly prefer Super Famicom cart design, especially when they're a quarter of the price their SNES counterparts go for collectively.

Fun fact I guess: Donkey Kong Country is Super Donkey Kong in Japan, and DKC2 is subtitled "Dixie and Diddy" where DKC3 is "Mysterious Krems Island"

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Bing the Noize posted:

I WANNA PLAY!

Not really my favorite, but that "zoomer" is really interesting. It has dials to adjust the speed of the turbo for the A and B buttons on top of the yoke.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Bing the Noize posted:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Bing the Noize posted:

I was worried at first because the Gravis joystick seemed to have lots of deadspots and was pretty unreliable at first... however after a couple hours of combined usage it works so nice and smooth!

I 100% recommend all the controllers you see here. Now I just need to wait and find a decent deal on a Hudson Joycard.

I never had the dog bones until I got my av famicom and they're by far superior to the old style nes controller

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Xik posted:

1: First the :smith: reasons. Long story short, video games were a way for a younger, fatter, much more frequently picked-on me to escape daily crappy life. I hardly had any friends so I played a lot of games. But my family was kinda broke when I was growing up, so I didn't own very many. We didn't even own an NES until 1991, and even then I mostly rented games or traded in old ones for "new" ones. Nowadays I have a house and a bit of disposable income, so I look for stuff I couldn't have afforded back then to sort of make it up to that depressed kid who had a lovely social life. :unsmith:

2: I enjoy that older games require a little imagination on the part of the player. Hardware limitations meant that games had to be presentational rather than representational. That is, a lot of newer games with super high detailed graphics and long cut scenes and voice acting can be said to represent exactly the story they're showing. Your own mental input isn't needed, which frequently leaves me kind of bored. That probably sounds weird.

3: I'm impatient as gently caress and it seems like there's always some option or another that needs to be fiddled with on most emulators to get them to look or play exactly right. Not to mention that you have to gain familiarity with off-brand or odd controllers, or even use a keyboard :barf:

4: It's hard to explain but some part of my brain knows that a rom file isn't "mine" even if it's taking up space on my hard drive. This isn't a moral thing; I still buy CDs too because not having a physical copy of things just bothers me for some reason.

5: You want how much for a PS4 game? :signings: To hell with that, gimme that copy of Solomon's Key for $4. Basically I'm cheap. Which isn't to say that I don't spend money, but I feel like I get more bang for the buck buying games for older systems.

flyboi posted:

I never had the dog bones until I got my av famicom and they're by far superior to the old style nes controller

No way. Rectangles forever. :colbert:

I just can't seem to get my thumb to comfortably overlap the B and A buttons on a dogbone.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Xik posted:

Unlike most of the folks here who didn't retain their video games from their childhood (whether they sold it or whatever), I actually kept the majority of the video game stuff I've owned since '88. I didn't decide one day in 2002 that I missed my SNES and want to recapture those days, but rather I still had my SNES and those games. I was buying out the collections of friends and family during those console generation transitions. I was the guy that would buy your Genesis stuff for a pittance in '97 because you really wanted to buy Final Fantasy VII and we were teenagers.

I still had to drop good amounts of money for games like Earthbound (which was near impossible for me to find even back in the late '90s), but otherwise I was never in a situation where I was repurchasing my childhood or whatever. I just never got rid of my old games. I guess I was collecting games even before retro gaming was a thing, but in reality I'm probably just a compulsive video game hoarder.

A lot of it is also appreciating the history of the medium, and emulators don't always run quite right for specific games. I did end up trying to collect consoles I never had any nostalgia for, like the 3DO and Sega Saturn, and I've found a lot of fun games out of those. I like having access to the stuff.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 22, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bing the Noize posted:

Controller for quadriplegics.

Somewhere out there, a kid probably beat Ninja Gaiden 2 with this.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

univbee posted:

gently caress I forgot all about this thing. I've been wanting to see someone play something with it for so long, as horribly depressing as it might be. But I still wanna see it.

In other news, if you wanna see what chinese DDR for the Famicom is like, or maybe you want to hear Boom Boom Dollar out of a NES, maybe this will interest you

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

univbee posted:

Imagine the kind of rig that guy's probably got for a modern console.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Install Windows posted:

TechTV/Gamespot TV/ZDTV/Extended Play/whatever had a segment about a handicapped Starcraft player who played competitively exclusively with a head mounted tracking device. It was really cool and I wish there was something on youtube I could link.

I know the Flashpoint/ARMA games support tracking devices uniquely because you can move your character's head independent of your body/gun. The people who get into the ARMA games reeeally get into them. There's a full training guide written by a Finish veteran, that community is insane.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I'll update with some more photos tomorrow, but I spent some time with the AD Adapter tonight and wanted to give a field report.

First, the images:

A close-up shot of the interpolation on the text in Harmony of Dissonance.

Harmony of Dissonance in action, 73" DLP from about 10 feet away.

A good example of the "blur" on sprites.

I should preface this by saying that I haven't used the GBA Player for the Gamecube in several years (and even then, I never used it hooked up via component) so I can't make a good comparison. This is also hooked up via composite to a 73" DLP with no other scaling aside from whatever the AD Adapter or my TV might be doing.

Up close the games look like a blurry mess--about what you would expect a GBA game blown up to your TV to look like. That being said, from my normal viewing distance they look pretty good. You can tell there is some blurring from the sprite enlargement, but it's nothing that bothers me personally (I'm not a huge graphics sperg... yet). It's worth with some games than others (the sprites in Pokemon Leaf Green looked worse than the sprites in Final Fantasy V) and some fonts suffer more than others (the standard blocky GBA font comes out worse than Square's smaller/thinner GBA font). There's no obvious slowdown or input delay and it appears to run the games faithfully. The audio it outputs is tinny and not that great, but I always associated that kind of "sound" with the GBA anyway. There's no option to remap buttons, so X and Y go unused (and it kind of highlights how weird of a decision it was to omit them from the GBA).

My review might sound overly negative, but I actually really like the thing. For $30, it's a nice way to play GBA games on my TV and while the picture quality isn't crisp, it looks fine to me from a normal viewing distance (and would probably look much, much better on a CRT).

PROS
+ Cheap solution to GBA games on your TV ($30)
+ Graphics look passable/fine/good from a normal viewing distance
+ No input lag
+ No visible lag or emulation problems (lends credence to the rumor it is running off of reverse-engineered hardware)
+ More metroidvanias on my TV hell yeah
+ Cart is Universal (shaped like a SFC cart, but it has the notches to fit a non-modified SNES)

CONS
- Some game sprites scale worse than others
- Hooks up via composite cables that attach to the cart--doesn't use the SNES' video out
- Poor sound quality

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 22, 2014

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

That mouse so perfectly sums up early '90s design aesthetics. Solid colors, shamelessly plastic, a raised circle cut in half for the buttons...you realize you can't really use it unless you wear a Hypercolor shirt, some Bugle Boy jeans, and swig back some woefully expired Crystal Pepsi, right?

I think a can of Surge would also be acceptable.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Unlike most of the folks here who didn't retain their video games from their childhood (whether they sold it or whatever), I actually kept the majority of the video game stuff I've owned since '88. I didn't decide one day in 2002 that I missed my SNES and want to recapture those days, but rather I still had my SNES and those games. I was buying out the collections of friends and family during those console generation transitions. I was the guy that would buy your Genesis stuff for a pittance in '97 because you really wanted to buy Final Fantasy VII and we were teenagers.

We're in the same boat man. I have a distinct memory of giving a friend $16 (all in quarters!) for his SNES, 2 controllers, Maximum Carnage, MarioKart, and Mario Paint, all of which I still have. Growing up I had/have 2 brothers I shared everything with but thankfully I got all of the original gaming stuff (NES, SNES, GB) with the exception of the N64, but even then I still got to keep the few 64 games/controllers that I got for birthdays or whatever. I think it's cooler than poo poo to play the same exact physical copies of games I was handling as a little kid, being 30/married/homeowner now.

I posted about this way back when, but I want to say it again. Every now and then when I go home to my parents house I love to go up in our disaster of an attic. By disaster, I mean stuff goes up there and never sees the light of day again, think time capsule style. A year-ish ago I went up there and was digging around, and much to my surprise I found our original NES box (complete with $99 Wal-Mart price tag) that we had received for Christmas eons ago complete with all the random manuals and styrofoam. Nostalgic as all crap to say the least and drat cool. I'm sure my parents just took all the boxes and put them up there in case they would need to return anything, and there it sat for decades.

I had several friends who would do the whole trade/sell everything they had for the next gen console, and there's nothing at all wrong with that, but like you it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Quoting this post forever and ever, there is no other response

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Install Windows posted:

Here's one such modern setup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30QGu0-uctQ
This was done by a UK charity that Sega likes to do fundraising stuff for.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I think Nintendo used to give those controllers out for free. :unsmith:

Xik posted:

If it does end up being the SNES, is there a simple (visual) guide somewhere out there to wiring up the csync?

Not that I know of but check this out:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AvE57-VbN9_HdEpkUUR0U1hzMHFWVWw3VXhORHFIanc&output=html

1CHIP-03s (the absolute last SNES model 1 motherboard revision) did not have CSYNC. I am certain that most or all of 02s did not either. 01s had it.

There was an argument about this back when I was first doing the SNES mini mods; whether or not csync needed to be wired up. It turns out it does, but not everybody needs it. I've modded minis where I did not wire up csync and they worked fine. It's very strange.

Anyway, there's really no guide except the one in the OP but to get down to the gist of it

only follow the color yellow (ignore the other colors). Just run a wire to each yellow point.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Tyson Tomko posted:

I had several friends who would do the whole trade/sell everything they had for the next gen console, and there's nothing at all wrong with that, but like you it just wasn't my cup of tea.

I didn't do this, but at one point when I was in high school I sold most of my video game collection to buy some synthesizers.

It was worth it and I ended up getting most of it back but dammit if it weren't for house moves, poo poo getting lost and running up against not having space time and time again, I'd still have pretty much all the games I grew up with :(

edit: Oh yeah my most recent move was responsible for me going from 3 GIANT boxes of J-Saturn games to like three J-Saturn games. I used to have such an incredible J-Saturn collection :cripes:

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 22, 2014

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
If I ever move out of my house, gently caress it, I'm hiring movers. I couldn't bear to part with any of my precious collection. :ohdear:

Of course it isn't anything compared to most of you guys, but still.

The wife and I discussed what we'd do if we ever moved again, and SHE was the one to bring up the idea of movers - we've moved ourselves every time before this house, but this house is easily 3x as big as anything we've had before, and we've got furniture out the rear end now. That was her reasoning, and I agreed, knowing it'd cover my nerd poo poo too. :v:

I am never moving that goddamn flat screen CRT again, that's for sure. It's survived 2 or 3 moves now, but my spine won't take another.

e. Never sold anything, but my dad did give away all of our pristine awesome C64 stuff when I was a kid. It was to a family that could've benefitted from it way more than me, so I'm really not upset at all [and glad really, my dad is a good dude], but that computer held serious memories for me. :smith:

Kind of wish I still had my dead Televideo 8086 all-in-one machine, with the wicked awesome fire scorch marks from when the hard drive decided I had played one too many games of space invaders and caught itself on goddamn fire. It would've made a fun conversation piece, anyway. That thing looked rad, in a painfully old-PC way:

I need to not google image search for old PC stuff. That's the one niche that I really fight digging into, because a) money and b) space [multiple fully set up PCs are gonna be big], but if I ever move into a place with a huge basement, all bets are off.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 22, 2014

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Code Jockey posted:

Kind of wish I still had my dead Televideo 8086 all-in-one machine, with the wicked awesome fire scorch marks from when the hard drive decided I had played one too many games of space invaders and caught itself on goddamn fire. It would've made a fun conversation piece, anyway. That thing looked rad, in a painfully old-PC way:

I need to not google image search for old PC stuff. That's the one niche that I really fight digging into, because a) money and b) space [multiple fully set up PCs are gonna be big], but if I ever move into a place with a huge basement, all bets are off.

Dude you need to start posting in the retro computing thread.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Bing the Noize posted:

Dude you need to start posting in the retro computing thread.

I know I know but this thread already makes me spend too much money, god help me if I follow two of them

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Install Windows posted:

That's because the "xbox division" also includes tons of other poo poo that doesn't make money, like the Surface RT tablets, and other stuff like that.

Also those big investors have never been right about anything, because they're the same people who advocate things like "drop Microsoft office" or "remove backwards compatibility from windows"
Microsoft have been in trouble ever since they baffled the world with their 'no retreat, no surrender' stance on Windows 8. I've loved having an Xbox this last gen but so much trust has been lost, I can't see them being on an equal footing with the ps4 unless they pull something spectacular out of the bag.

All Sony need to do is spend from now until August / September working on a software PS3 emulator, then release it as a $50 DLC before all the university students get their loans in, and blow Microsoft out of the water.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Microsoft have been in trouble ever since they baffled the world with their 'no retreat, no surrender' stance on Windows 8. I've loved having an Xbox this last gen but so much trust has been lost, I can't see them being on an equal footing with the ps4 unless they pull something spectacular out of the bag.

All Sony need to do is spend from now until August / September working on a software PS3 emulator, then release it as a $50 DLC before all the university students get their loans in, and blow Microsoft out of the water.

Frustratingly, Sony patented such a thing in 2008. They could theoretically release some kind of hardware add on that acts as the emotion engine and passes through the PS3/PS4 for input and video out. I would pay $100 for it out of convenience and I own two PS2 consoles.

Have their PS2 releases really gone anywhere? Because aside from (I think) God Hand and some Vanillaware games nothing really came from it and I figured this never saw fruition because they could monetize games individually.

But Sony is in the hole as well despite PS4s flying off shelves.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Unlike most of the folks here who didn't retain their video games from their childhood (whether they sold it or whatever), I actually kept the majority of the video game stuff I've owned since '88. I didn't decide one day in 2002 that I missed my SNES and want to recapture those days, but rather I still had my SNES and those games.

I had the opposite problem, really. I kept my NES and all the games. My problem was with everything between that and the PS2.

My house was broken into one day, back around 1998/1999. They didn't steal a huge amount, but a bunch of movies, CDs, and game stuff was taken. The computer stayed though they did partially unhook it. However I lost my goddamn PSX, most of the PSX games in plain sight, my N64 and all the games (including fully unlocked GoldenEye and Smash Bros carts), BOTH OF MY PSX GUNCONS :mad:, and my SNES but none of the games.

For some drat fool reason I traded in my SNES games a few years later to get some Dreamcast games and a bunch of NES games. I didn't own anything super expensive, but MMX1, Doom, and FF2 were among the more expensive games I had. Oh, I did have Mega Man 7 which apparently is worth a bunch now. Sigh.

Also, I really do miss the Guncons and Point Blank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If someone stole my A-ranked, 53 gold gem Mischief Makers cart I would go Taken on their rear end.

Realistically I would cry and refresh craigslist/ebay every minute.

e: Holy poo poo, I unlocked S-rank on this thing. I really loved this game. I remember my cousins getting mad because I didn't want to play Goldeneye with them. Screw you, I'm "SHAKE SHAKE"

e2: Wait wait wait Marina had an adult form??? My mind has been blown by this new discovery of a 17 year old game.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 22, 2014

• Locked thread