Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

You can tell the other car is owned by some smug rear end in a top hat via the camber, bullshit patina, stickers, etc. but the one you posted isn't the automotive equivalent of skinny jeans and a handlebar mustache and hence is A-OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Good, cause thats my daily driver and i beat the hell out of her haha.

Filthy Luker
Aug 4, 2002

bung posted:

AWESOMENESS

So wrong thread, the Maruti Suzuki in Nepal as a canvas for taxi variety is inspiring.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

I'm not exactly a VW guy, but aren't the rear wheels on this cambered that way because of the way the rear axle is designed? A swing axle or whatever?

If the guy were all about "stance" wouldn't the front wheels be equally cambered?

Don't get me wrong, with the lovely roof rack and douchebag stickers the guy is clearly a twatwaffle, but not because he drives a slammed bug.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
First time crewing with a rally team this weekend. It went ok...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
:stonk: that poor merkur.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

What the gently caress did they do to that poor thing?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

some texas redneck posted:

What the gently caress did they do to that poor thing?

Right six tightens to five was pace note. Was maybe more like tightens to four. The stage had been really fast throughout, probably the fastest all weekend, and run at night. The car had a spectacular drift at 85mph till it went wide enough to tag a tree on drivers rear corner. This impact spun the car hard left and it rocketed off the outside if the turn, through one smaller tree and smack directly head on into a larger tree. This third tree ended all momentum, and our rally weekend. Anyway, driver and co-driver are ok mostly. Both took it hard in the plums.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 22, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I have no idea what you said with the notes :downs: but I'm glad to hear they're still breathing.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

some texas redneck posted:

I have no idea what you said with the notes :downs: but I'm glad to hear they're still breathing.

trouser chili posted:

Right [turn] six [meters wide] tightens to five [meters wide] was pace note. Was maybe more like tightens to four [meters wide].

That's how I read it at any rate. Could be feet wide, if it's in the US, but that sounds like one awfully narrow track!

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 22, 2014

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968
I think the number is the severity of the bend and not the runs width (that'd be CAUTION NARROWS! or WIDENS), with 1 being a hairpin, and 6/7 being fairly gentle. But i also seem to remember that almost every crew has their own criteria for what makes a 6 vs a 5. SO they were expecting a 20 degree corner to tighten to a 40, and they got a 90 degree bend

Either way, glad the crews ok!

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I thought the number was a vague suggestion of the gear you want to be in at that point.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
http://www.saabworks.com/projects/stagenotes.html

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Cross posting from the Craigslist Gold thread, 'cause this is pretty terrible (Or hilarious, assuming someone is pranking the owner of this Genesis.)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I can only assume it's fake or the only reason his dad is buying him a Lotus Exige is to hasten the demise of his idiot son.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Hmm, interesting. I'd always thought the numbers like 80 or 120 or whatever meant the driver should be going this many km/hr.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

trouser chili posted:

Bad rally stuff

Wait, is this the car that had the amazing wiring that your buddy had completely redone or am I thinking about someone else?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Wait, is this the car that had the amazing wiring that your buddy had completely redone or am I thinking about someone else?

Yeah, that's the car. I have some daylight pics now.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 24, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

The license plate makes this one the saddest of all. :smith:

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 23, 2014

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

trouser chili posted:

Yeah, that's the car. I have some daylight pics now.

Hundred Acre Wood? I'm pretty sure I saw this on a trailer outside the Rolla Enterprise Rent-a-Car on Thursday. It looked a little different then.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's pretty dreadful, is the engine salvageable?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
poo poo, that's terrible. I remember when you posted the pictures of the beautiful wiring harness job and in general the whole car was just great.

This is why if I ever manage to get into rally, it will be in a car I don't give a gently caress about.

On the other hand, I found this while searching Craigslist last night.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I have been having a not so fun time trying to deal with the brakes on my uncle and aunt's truck. Dealership has replaced two hard lines that rusted and failed for a ridiculous amount of money, and then driving it the first time the brakes are super soft like there is a ton of air. We drop it back off at the dealer and this time I'm actually there to talk to the service guy. He says it's impossible that they weren't bled properly because they do a road test and get up to highway speeds and make sure the brakes work, etc. Come back monday afternoon and suddenly it needs new calipers all around because they can't get the bleed screws open, plus a booster and master cylinder. When I ask how they could possibly have bled the brakes properly they tell me they used a vacuum machine on the MC which gets all the air out. Well, obviously not, or the pedal wouldn't be going to the floor just to slow down from 10mph. So I tow the car out of there and down to a friend's shop, buy some new bleed screws at orielly, and pull the old ones out with minimal difficulty. I have never seen so much air come out of brake lines and can not comprehend how those assholes at the dealer let the car leave in that condition. The video I tried to take didn't turn out unfortunately. Plus there are still a bunch of rusty hard lines that need to be replaced but at least it now stops, and I have a full kit sitting in their garage for the next time I'm down here.

In conclusion, gently caress Van Chevrolet in Scottsdale, AZ. I think tomorrow I'm going to go ask them for an estimate and to elaborate on why all that stuff needs replacement before telling them about how I was able to easily open the bleeders. Also thanks Holdbrooks for the help.

jamal fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 24, 2014

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Have you talked to corporate yet? That is amazingly negligent.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

jamal posted:

I have been having a not so fun time trying to deal with the brakes on my uncle and aunt's truck. Dealership has replaced two hard lines that rusted and failed for a ridiculous amount of money, and then driving it the first time the brakes are super soft like there is a ton of air. We drop it back off at the dealer and this time I'm actually there to talk to the service guy. He says it's impossible that they weren't bled properly because they do a road test and get up to highway speeds and make sure the brakes work, etc. Come back monday afternoon and suddenly it needs new calipers all around because they can't get the bleed screws open, plus a booster and master cylinder. When I ask how they could possibly have bled the brakes properly they tell me they used a vacuum machine on the MC which gets all the air out. Well, obviously not, or the pedal wouldn't be going to the floor just to slow down from 10mph. So I tow the car out of there and down to a friend's shop, buy some new bleed screws at orielly, and pull the old ones out with minimal difficulty. I have never seen so much air come out of brake lines and can not comprehend how those assholes at the dealer let the car leave in that condition. The video I tried to take didn't turn out unfortunately. Plus there are still a bunch of rusty hard lines that need to be replaced but at least it now stops, and I have a full kit sitting in their garage for the next time I'm down here.

In conclusion, gently caress Van Chevrolet in Scottsdale, AZ. I think tomorrow I'm going to go ask them for an estimate and to elaborate on why all that stuff needs replacement before telling them about how I was able to easily open the bleeders. Also thanks Holdbrooks for the help.

No problem. It was super sketchy, the front left looked like champagne pouring out with the gravity bleed. It foamed out into the pan on like a 16in long line. I don't believe that it was bled after the lovely patch they did and no way the road tested it as said that it was fixed.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

FatCow posted:

Have you talked to corporate yet? That is amazingly negligent.

I'm drafting a letter for my uncle to send. It's not going to be very nice.

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 24, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Holy poo poo. If that had been my relatives I'd probably be sending the letter through an attorney. Good thing they have you to fix it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

By the way, the vacuum-bleed system is a legit method, I have one...but the vacuum is applied <ahem> at the bleed screws. They have to be open.

So they're lying sacks of poo poo as well as negligent.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Post something in GBS. Maybe some goon will DDOS their website.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Pitch posted:

Hundred Acre Wood? I'm pretty sure I saw this on a trailer outside the Rolla Enterprise Rent-a-Car on Thursday. It looked a little different then.

Yes, 100aw. It was the second rally for the car, having competed in a regional event late last year in Perryville.

Slavvy posted:

That's pretty dreadful, is the engine salvageable?

We don't know. It's really heartbreaking for us to even look at the car right now. I honestly think the car might not be as bad as it looks, but no-one else is as optimistic. I suspect the engine is ok, the transmission is toast, the horsecollar (rear subframe) is likely toasted as well. The car is going to go to the cage builder to be inspected. We'll have a good idea of what to do with it after that. If the frame/cage is too far damaged, then it's just done and we'll part it. From what I've seen the cage show no signs of deformation. The frame rails ahead of the front suspension were pinched in though. The front wheels appear to be straight and point true. The rear wheels gained a bunch of camber somehow. The entire drivetrain has been shoved back and I suspect this has bent the horsecollar. That would explain the camber. It's all guesses right now though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jamal posted:

I'll second that, and I've never had them work on a car. I did buy my MS3 from them - I was able to beat them up pretty well on the price but they were dicks about pretty much every step of the process, and couldn't even be assed to air up the tires before I drove off.

My old man bought a new Camaro from them once... gently caress 20 years ago I'm old and while I don't recall / wasn't privy to most of the details I do remember him complaining about the process plenty at that time too. Some dealers (like every Earnhardt shop here) are just scumbags the whole way down.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

By the way, the vacuum-bleed system is a legit method, I have one...but the vacuum is applied <ahem> at the bleed screws. They have to be open.

So they're lying sacks of poo poo as well as negligent.

Yeah it's a pretty good method, too. I think it is how a lot of manufactures do it in the factory. I actually argued with the service manager about it and he didn't seem to care and was happy to have us tow it out of there. After my uncle has spent around 3500 on this bullshit in the last year.

One problem is that I don't know exactly what they told my uncle and what he agreed to. Service manager mentioned to me that my uncle declined to have the calipers replaced but I haven't seen that in writing in any of the paperwork they have. I need to ask them for any old estimates in their system to see if any of this is documented.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 24, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm pretty sure the BMW dealer fleeced my dad out a ton of money. It pisses me off. They suck. I'm going to have to read through the service receipts when I get a chance.

I hate the work involved finding a decent mechanic :/

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

CharlesM posted:

I hate the work involved finding a decent mechanic :/

That is basically the whole reason I started working on cars.

Riscas
Feb 11, 2008
Dave at 3D automotive in Gilbert is a good reliable mechanic if anyone's interested. Been going there for about five years and he's always been upfront and honest.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The guy who runs the best german indie shop in town used to own my E30 so he gives me a discount when I bring it in :unsmith:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

jamal posted:

That is basically the whole reason I started working on cars.

Going the other direction, this is why I no longer keep cars past their warranty period.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Terrible Robot posted:

poo poo, that's terrible. I remember when you posted the pictures of the beautiful wiring harness job and in general the whole car was just great.

This is why if I ever manage to get into rally, it will be in a car I don't give a gently caress about.

On the other hand, I found this while searching Craigslist last night.

I saw one of these in a storage lot when I went to get some furniture and belongings out of storage, brought back memories of when I lived with my family in the UK for 3 years and we had a navy blue Ford Sierra :)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'm at the dealership and they are about to put the truck on a lift to show me the stuck bleed screws. This should be entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Why are you letting them do that when you already replaced them?