Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

ullerrm posted:

Proviblob, for at least the next few months. It'll be interesting, if nothing else.

Evoke has moved into TXW-EI, though. One irrelevant, dying alliance moves out of Syndicate, and another one promptly moves in. ;)

Cassius: "Groon are the only thing I'll really miss from Syndicate." D'awww.

Well at least Provi attracts lots of things to shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Artificer posted:

:saddowns: So how many newbies, when they lose their first non-frigate ship and pod, lose over 150-200+ million ISK? :negative:

Hey, don't feel bad. I lost a 850 mil half-fitted Apocalypse Navy when I started out. It had 3 T1 meta 0 mediums and however-many-slots-are-left Imperial Navy Mega Pulses. I tried to take on an Arbitrator in a high-sec duel, thinking that I essentially reached endgame because I was in a battleship. He killed me in 3 seconds.

I had two low slots filled and no rigs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've finished training the prerequisites for interceptors, and now I need to choose which racial frigate skill that I want to train to V first. Are Amarr interceptors any good? They look the coolest so I've started training that to V first

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

I've finished training the prerequisites for interceptors, and now I need to choose which racial frigate skill that I want to train to V first. Are Amarr interceptors any good? They look the coolest so I've started training that to V first

If you want to fly interceptors for speed, fly Minmatar Stilettos. If you want a reasonably balanced setup, go for Amarrian interceptors.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
6.7 million m3 of items, 13 million m3 of assembled subcaps, 6 archons, 2 naglfars and an ark moved. And I'm still not done. :suicide:

e: estimated value of other people's assets that I moved: 65bn.

Booley fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 22, 2014

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Yeah, I'm trying to establish a steady way of making ISK and I found a guide on exploration. On its recommendations I got sisters probe launcher, sister probes, Improved Cloaking Device II, rigged it out, triple nano-fiber, the works. I also flew around with implants because it seemed like the guide seemed to imply that I would learn a lot in that ship and learn how to escape gate camps and so it wouldn't be that risky.

Guess where that got me?

To be fair it was a valuable learning experience, and the one I'm flying now has only basic cloaking and exploration equipment so its dramatically cheaper. People have told me that sisters equipment don't make that much of a difference for exploring anyhow. I'll go back to the higher end stuff when I've had more practice dealing with gate camps and keeping an eye on Intelligence channels. That mistake was all on me. Fortunately, I still have funds to carry on and make more valuable mistakes. :v: And learn about the game presumably.

I'm only like 11 days old ingame so I haven't even gotten to most Tier II equipment yet. :v:

Artificer fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 22, 2014

Lowkin
Aug 27, 2007
Some douche just rolled in and stole my mission loot and tried to ransom it for 50 million, how come I couldn't attack him?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Sisters gear CAN make a huge difference, but thats when you're already comfortable scanning and doing everything already.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

QuarkJets posted:

Every race has at a good tackling interceptor, with the Crow arguably being the best for most uses, followed by the Stiletto and Malediction. The Ares isn't really bad, it just doesn't have either 4 mids or a high-application weapon system. The Crusader is probably the best overall combat interceptor, though the Taranis does the most DPS by far (potentially 325 last I checked) and certainly has uses. The Claw is easily the worst, with the Raptor not far behind (practically-speaking, it's a watered-down Taranis).

Amarr is a good first choice if you want both classes to be useful.

Artificer posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to establish a steady way of making ISK and I found a guide on exploration. On its recommendations I got sisters probe launcher, sister probes, Improved Cloaking Device II, rigged it out, triple nano-fiber, the works. I also flew around with implants because it seemed like the guide seemed to imply that I would learn a lot in that ship and so it wouldn't be that risky.

Guess where that got me?

To be fair it was a valuable learning experience, and the one I'm flying now has only basic cloaking and exploration equipment so its dramatically cheaper. I'll go back to the higher end stuff when I've had more practice dealing with gate camps and keeping an eye on Intelligence channels. That mistake was all on me. Fortunately, I still have funds to carry on and make more valuable mistakes. :v: And learn about the game presumably.

I'm sure whomever recommended that meant well (as the Sisters stuff does help a lot for low skill compensation), but even with tons of experience I wouldn't put 150m worth of stuff on a T1 exploration frigate. That's no big deal on a covops, which can actually survive most gatecamps, but an Improved Cloak is not going to help you escape a gang that's competent at decloaking.

If you enjoy exploration, it shouldn't take more than 2 weeks to get into a covops: Electronics Upgrades V, Frigate V, and Cloaking IV. All you really need for supports is at least IVs in navigation and Thermodynamics I (to insure you can survive a gatecamp). Even then, definitely try to get some survival experience in a cheap fit before you take an expensive one out.

And of course, make sure you can do something else in Eve that you enjoy before you start on a 2-week training session.

LordMaxxie
Oct 30, 2011

Lowkin posted:

Some douche just rolled in and stole my mission loot and tried to ransom it for 50 million, how come I couldn't attack him?

Only thing I can think of is safety button? Maybe you abandoned all wrecks?

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Lowkin posted:

He's trying to teach you a lesson.

(Hint: it's 'get out of highsec')

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Lowkin posted:

This isn't a joke, But it is literally a case of "gently caress you, deal with it." If he looted a can or a wreck in your mission that belonged to you, you would have been able to shoot him and likely die in a fireball. If you abandoned your wrecks which is what this sounds like, you caused your own problem.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ullerrm posted:

You guys can keep I-RED. :mmmhmm:

Once again proving that -loving- I-RED ruins everything.

I don't even know if that's why you are moving. But I'm going to blame I-RED.

Lowkin
Aug 27, 2007

mikey posted:

He's trying to teach you a lesson.

(Hint: it's 'get out of highsec')

He stayed orange and just started salvaging my wrecks while I was fighting mobs then he just bounced. Lesson learned shoot all orange dudes and red dudes?

I am already getting killed and swindled at the teet of high-sec, I won't last a minute in lo-sec. I don't learn quickly I will be broke before I learn.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Lowkin posted:

Some of the mission cans aren't yours, they're just generic containers.

You got smashed.

Lowkin
Aug 27, 2007

Sir_Substance posted:

Some of the mission cans aren't yours, they're just generic containers.

You got smashed.

I quit the mission and lost like 1.5 standing with the agent, can I wait for server refresh and the mission guys will be there again?

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
You should always shoot people who warp into your mission and steal your things. It'll assert dominance and prevent future incidents.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Fix Lag posted:

You should always shoot people who warp into your mission and steal your things. It'll assert dominance and prevent future incidents.

I guarantee that it will also accelerate your Eve acclimation process.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

mynnna posted:

Well at least Provi attracts lots of things to shoot.

Providence and Domain under the Old school-CVA stewardship running from 2006-2009ish was the best loving place ever. I had so much fun as a solo pirate in that region; CVA wasn't a monolithic entity that would drop a 40 man fleet on you, they'd send out a small 3-5 man squad in a mix of T1-T2 ships. Plus they were loving good at small gang poo poo so when you actually decided to engage them it was a challenge.

I'm pretty sure my first solo kill was in the Domain region, I blew up a Ferox belonging to that Penny Arcade corporation in the Mamet constellation with my Incursus. Then CVA blew me up. Meanwhile everyone else in Goonfleet was getting camped into Syndicate like bitches by BoB :)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Hey Rote dudes if I find myself in Providence for a safari is it verboten to fleet up? You sound like chill bros (Goonwaffe pilot).

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lowkin posted:

He stayed orange and just started salvaging my wrecks while I was fighting mobs then he just bounced. Lesson learned shoot all orange dudes and red dudes?

I am already getting killed and swindled at the teet of high-sec, I won't last a minute in lo-sec. I don't learn quickly I will be broke before I learn.

By all means, don't take any advice at all in this thread. It's not like there are groups who are set up specifically to support and teach you while you learn this game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lowkin posted:

I quit the mission and lost like 1.5 standing with the agent, can I wait for server refresh and the mission guys will be there again?

Why did you quit your mission? This was dumb. Couldn't you try to find the stuff you need on contracts first? Also, I think mission rats and loot refresh after downtime if you didn't turn in your mission by then. You lose the bonus, of course. But you wouldn't have to deal with the standing loss.

But what you really have to do now is: Take your best combat ship to the Pegasus-Constellation and run the COSMOS-agents there. (You need a lot of Gallente-standing for this.)

I promise you it will be a lot less boring then running missions in HighSec.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lowkin posted:

Highsec is not necessarily safer than nullsec (skip lowsec because it's poo poo).

The lesson from this: grab a cheap salvaging ship yourself, ninja salvage some ~maximum isk efficiency~ sperglord's wrecks yourself, and enjoy the tears.

Lowkin posted:

Also don't grind highsec missions because they suck and will make you want to kill yourself, and even if you want to run missions why does agent standing matter as long as it doesn't prevent you from running the mission.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

blowfish posted:

Highsec is not necessarily safer than nullsec (skip lowsec because it's poo poo).

The lesson from this: grab a cheap salvaging ship yourself, ninja salvage some ~maximum isk efficiency~ sperglord's wrecks yourself, and enjoy the tears.

Also don't grind highsec missions because they suck and will make you want to kill yourself, and even if you want to run missions why does agent standing matter as long as it doesn't prevent you from running the mission.

It's a long time since I looked up the formula, but agent standing (and NPC-corp standing, I think) influence your LP and ISK payouts a little bit. The more standing, the better.

Now faction standing is another matter, since it's always a horrid grind if you need it for some reason. I confess every few months I try to blitz a lot of missions just to make my faction standing a bit higher. (I still want to grab those 2-run Navy Megathron BPCs sometime.) Of course as soon as I start my mad mission again, I'm immediately bored out of my mind and have to stop after 1-2 storyline missions.

Sometimes I wish I could be as crazy as those weirdos who grind out enough LP for Nestor-battleships in HighSec. It's harrowing enough to get the 30,000 LP for an Astero, people continously grinding up to 600,000 LP is mindboggling to me. Outside of FW, that is. :v:

Man, I can't wait for the change to sentient drones. Going on a drone hunt while exploring sounds great. And it beats mission running down to a pulp. Also it means I won't have to immediately jump back if a wormhole suddenly drops me into the drone regions anymore.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 22, 2014

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Libluini posted:

But what you really have to do now is: Take your best combat ship to the Pegasus-Constellation and run the COSMOS-agents there. (You need a lot of Gallente-standing for this.)

Is there a guide to the null-sec COSMOS constellations anywhere? I haven't been able to find anything about them, other than they're apparently for booster production. I did COSMOS when I was in highsec and they were a nice change of pace, might be fun to do them in null.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I got a 22.5 million tick with the ESS. I was shocked, and then checked my journal to find that I had killed a DG and warped away from the anom. :negative:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mimetic posted:

Is there a guide to the null-sec COSMOS constellations anywhere? I haven't been able to find anything about them, other than they're apparently for booster production. I did COSMOS when I was in highsec and they were a nice change of pace, might be fun to do them in null.

Guristas, Intaki and Caldari. Something I found accidentally while searching for agents from the Pegasus-constellation.

For some of the other stuff, including Gallente in the Pegasus-constellation, I found a little bit in Eve Travel. Just look up some of the NullSec-places mentioned.

And I think I once randomly stumbled upon a website listing NullSec-COSMOS agents with their missions, but I forgot to bookmark the link and can't find it anymore.

Edit:

I hope this helps you a bit.

And just in case you missed some of the NullSec-COSMOS-constellations: 09-4XV, 9HXQ-G, OK-FEM, Pegasus, Assilot, I-3ODK, 760-9C and E-8CSQ. This should be everyone.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 22, 2014

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Duodecimal posted:

Oh, and we can ... move around now? That's not really a walk -- a sort of a slow mince, over into a lounge area.

Have a good look around. Sit on your space couch, watch a little space tv. Glance at the many objects you can't interact with in any way. Walk over to your balcony, you can see your ship from here! Did you notice the staircase that leads down to your pod? Neat. Walk over to the exit door and press the red "station door button". Good times.

Now leave the Captain's Quarters and never return. It is the most resource intensive part of the game, and there is nothing you can do in there that you can't do more easily from the hanger view. :ccp:

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Lowkin posted:

This is the funniest post in the thread so far.

Kheldragar posted:

I got a 22.5 million tick with the ESS. I was shocked, and then checked my journal to find that I had killed a DG and warped away from the anom. :negative:

:rip: If it's any consolation, it's probably just tags and ammo. And if it's anything nicer, just consider it a donation to any salvaging newbies in the area.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

bonewitch posted:

This is the funniest post in the thread so far.

:rip: If it's any consolation, it's probably just tags and ammo. And if it's anything nicer, just consider it a donation to any salvaging newbies in the area.

Someone said that if there are no bookmarks or deployables, then everything in the anom just dissapears. Also,

:negative:

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Kheldragar posted:

Someone said that if there are no bookmarks or deployables, then everything in the anom just dissapears. Also,

:negative:

Nope, the signature for the anomaly despawns, but the wrecks are subject to the same despawn timer as any other wreck.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

In that case there are two DG wrecks in S-D havens that may or may not have just tags and ammo! :getin:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

bonewitch posted:

Nope, the signature for the anomaly despawns, but the wrecks are subject to the same despawn timer as any other wreck.

Isn't it currently impossible to probe down wrecks, making the discussion academic.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
DG wrecks have solely tags and ammo so often I'm not sure it is worth worrying about if you are AFK ratting, although it can be disappointing to finish a couple of hours of ratting, hit the D-scan and find two DG wrecks lost in space.

Kjep64
Oct 3, 2013

Coffee. Cigarettes. Beer. Kimchi. Ingest.

blowfish posted:

Also don't grind highsec missions because they suck and will make you want to kill yourself...
Confirmed. When I first started playing Eve I made the mistake of running highsec missions for about 5 months and I unsubbed/killed myself.

Lowkin posted:

Highsec is good for ganking, scamming, trading, war deccing carebears and research. If you must run highsec missions, I would do it on an alt, level 4 missions (or whatever level you can run, but 4's provide the biggest reward, so you'll want to get to those eventually) and then only if nothing else was happening. For example, right now I'm camping a station. I am literally doing nothing as the mechanics allow this (for right now). Just assign my drones and walk away. I could and probably should as I'm space poor run some level 4's on my alt. This would be a good time as nothing else is really happening and I'm bored.

*And running incursions.

Kjep64 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 22, 2014

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

evilweasel posted:

Isn't it currently impossible to probe down wrecks, making the discussion academic.

Yeah, thats true.

Kjep64 posted:

Confirmed. When I first started playing Eve I made the mistake of running highsec missions for about 5 months and I unsubbed/killed myself.

Highsec is good for ganking, scamming, trading, war deccing carebears and research. If you must run highsec missions, I would do it on an alt, level 4 missions (or whatever level you can run, but 4's provide the biggest reward, so you'll want to get to those eventually) and then only if nothing else was happening. For example, right now I'm camping a station. I am literally doing nothing as the mechanics allow this (for right now). Just assign my drones and walk away. I could and probably should as I'm space poor run some level 4's on my alt. This would be a good time as nothing else is really happening and I'm bored.

*And running incursions.

If you're going to have a dude in highsec running missions, theres no reason not to just do incursions with him (unless you're completely incapable of handling the highsec sperg). A friend of mine does highsec incursions and he says he just mutes the fc, closes fleet chat, and follows broadcasts while listening to his own music.

Kjep64
Oct 3, 2013

Coffee. Cigarettes. Beer. Kimchi. Ingest.

bonewitch posted:

If you're going to have a dude in highsec running missions, theres no reason not to just do incursions with him (unless you're completely incapable of handling the highsec sperg). A friend of mine does highsec incursions and he says he just mutes the fc, closes fleet chat, and follows broadcasts while listening to his own music.

More power to your friend, I can't stand highsec, let along highsec incursion runners. I never looked that far into running incursions except for the fact that those who run them tend to have blinged out ships and those make nice gank targets.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Been torn for quite awhile on whether to break down and join the goons. I've played for a fair bit, and most enjoy just manufacturing poo poo -- the complicated production chains, the cost calculations, the joy of staying under the radar of anybody with enough brains and brawn to pillage my operations.

But I want to move out to nullsec someday, and want to try fleet combat. I'm not sure I have enough skills in any focused area to fly any kind of doctrine ship yet, though I can be trained for an interdictor in two weeks.

What would people recommend I do, basically? Goonswarm talks constantly about how all its pilots are crazy space assholes, and I'm just a goony little carebear who hasn't yet tasted blood :shobon: (other than when I made a trial alt and flew with the New Order for a little bit; it was awesome and James 315 is hilarious)

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
nullsec industry is currently a shitshow right now, but I guess the margins are still pretty good if you want to manufacture in highsec and pay a JF service to run your goods into Dek. Also GSF doesn't give a poo poo about your skills, join up in whatever and shoot poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

But I want to move out to nullsec someday, and want to try fleet combat. I'm not sure I have enough skills in any focused area to fly any kind of doctrine ship yet, though I can be trained for an interdictor in two weeks.

What would people recommend I do, basically?

The way you are thinking right now is a trap and you should move to nullsec immediately. Your skills are irrelevant to this question; don't worry about what you can fly.

If you want to keep doing production, your best bet is to (eventually) make an alt that can stay behind in highsec.

• Locked thread