Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

404notfound posted:

All right, that sounds good. I've never seen a mounted medium format slide before, but I was wondering if the lab would end up giving those to me. The V600 has holders for 35mm strips, 35mm slides, and 120 strips, but I wouldn't know what to do with 120 slides. :v:
You can find medium format projectors if you look, I posted on another forum asking if someone local could pick one up in Washington state for me and he picked it up and shipped it for $100. I also found one in my basement that I didn't know my parents had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Maybe helpful to UK dorkroomers; a photography student mate of mine told me that Poundland sells film. It's 24 exposure Agfa VistaPlus 200. Dunno what it's like but for that price I went and picked up a couple of rolls.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Also Ireland's equivalent, Dealz, does the same deal for €1.49

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

Maybe helpful to UK dorkroomers; a photography student mate of mine told me that Poundland sells film. It's 24 exposure Agfa VistaPlus 200. Dunno what it's like but for that price I went and picked up a couple of rolls.

It's apparently rebadged Fuji C200. Sadly my local Poundland never seems to have any in stock :(

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Poundland is the best store name ever.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

pantsfree posted:

It's apparently rebadged Fuji C200. Sadly my local Poundland never seems to have any in stock :(

I don't know, I've shot a few rolls and the colors are nothing like C200. They're far more saturated, especially red.

Here is the 400 ISO version of that film. I do like it for mindless shooting.

Amazing rose di maxmars70, su Flickr

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
So...

I've stumbled onto some rolls of TMAX 100, some color FUJI 120 and 35mm film, all at least 10 years expired. I don't know what their story is. Probably not supposed to really know about it. I also found a box of really old 4x5 negatives from an old portrait photographer at my school dark room. I thought about making a print or two but the only interesting shots were on this larger format that had two exposures on something like a 6x9.

I could pilfer a roll of old TMAX 100 film to see how it'll come out.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I think I might switch to shooting T-rix at 1600 in the city. The texture of the grain really brings out the texture of the all encompassing concrete.

_DSC5877 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Pretty sure Tri-x 400 pushed to hell and back was Daido Moriyama's film of choice for Japanese street scape awesomeness, so much grain.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Some Fuji Provia 400x I shot recently.

Affaire by Quantum of Phallus

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Spedman posted:

Pretty sure Tri-x 400 pushed to hell and back was Daido Moriyama's film of choice for Japanese street scape awesomeness, so much grain.

I Think that the grain he is known for is from his printing process, not development of negatives.
There is a documentary film called "Near Equal" where its touched upon.

Now that he is shooting jpegs, I am curious what his work looks like.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I'm guessing you mean that he uses the printing process with high contrast filters and burn-in to accentuate the grain? As it doesn't make a lot of sense to me that he can make grain just happen through the process of making a wet print (or I'm missing something incredibly obvious, which may well be the case).

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Putrid Grin posted:

Now that he is shooting jpegs, I am curious what his work looks like.

From what I've read in more recent interviews, he's shooting with a digital compact now, Ricoh or Nikon I think, so he has a custom preset in Silver Efex Pro 2 that he just asks his assistant to apply to the jpegs.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Putrid Grin posted:

There is a documentary film called "Near Equal" where its touched upon.

Just watched this. It's rad as hell and also on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaeEx0Uvef8

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

I just finished shooting a roll of Portra 400, and was really excited to see how wide the latitude for exposure is because I've heard amazing things. I've metered a bunch of shots to 800 and above, and bracketed a few shots as well.

Then I unloaded the film and realised this whole time I've been shooting Provia 400.

:downsgun:

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Baron Dirigible posted:

I just finished shooting a roll of Portra 400, and was really excited to see how wide the latitude for exposure is because I've heard amazing things. I've metered a bunch of shots to 800 and above, and bracketed a few shots as well.

Then I unloaded the film and realised this whole time I've been shooting Provia 400.

:downsgun:

Man that sucks. :roflolmao:

Well Fuji film CAN be underexposed although not at Portra levels. This is slightly underexposed Fuji Superia 400.

Meet Philo's lutist shop di maxmars70, su Flickr

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

maxmars posted:

Man that sucks. :roflolmao:

Well Fuji film CAN be underexposed although not at Portra levels. This is slightly underexposed Fuji Superia 400.

Meet Philo's lutist shop di maxmars70, su Flickr

I always liked Superia at 1/3 or 2/3 of a stop underexposed when I used it, but he's talking about fast slide film here, which has very little in terms of exposure latitude.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Primo Itch posted:

I always liked Superia at 1/3 or 2/3 of a stop underexposed when I used it, but he's talking about fast slide film here, which has very little in terms of exposure latitude.

Yes I know, I shoot pretty much Fuji only. It's going to suck but who knows, maybe a few shots will come out just fine.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

I got the slides back and, yeah, while a few shots are unusable, most of them actually worked out alright (they're still lovely because my focus and composition sucks). It helps that I'd actually already shot half the roll before switching backs and getting confused about what I had loaded.

Unrelated: is there a good primer anywhere on the different types of Ilford film? The Ilford website just talks about speed -- is that the only real difference between HP5, Delta, Pan-F etc?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Spedman posted:

Tri-X at ISO1600 is something everybody should try, especially if you go the full old-tyme newspaper route and cook it in Dektol (I forget the exact time and temp, but it's scalding-hot and extremely short: something like 1min at 150 degrees in a paint mixer, the bare minimum of fixer, shake it off and throw it in the enlarger still wet). Grain like footballs, contrast that gives a whole new meaning to "black-and-white." Tri-X at ISO3200 is good enough for newsprint; it has a certain je ne sais quoi that films meant for ISO3200 lack.

I still default to ISO320/640 on my DSLRs because of Tri-X.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 26, 2014

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Baron Dirigible posted:

I got the slides back and, yeah, while a few shots are unusable, most of them actually worked out alright (they're still lovely because my focus and composition sucks). It helps that I'd actually already shot half the roll before switching backs and getting confused about what I had loaded.

Unrelated: is there a good primer anywhere on the different types of Ilford film? The Ilford website just talks about speed -- is that the only real difference between HP5, Delta, Pan-F etc?

Quick and dirty: Delta is similar to T-Max in that it sports an "ehnanced" kind of grain (more acutance at the expense of worse latitude, very very roughly). HP5+/FP4 is traditional grain so more similar to TriX tech. Kentmere films (also by Hartman) are traditional grain too.

Pan F is a slow film. Very fine grain, very contrasty. Never used it (all of my 50 iso was Efke :( before the demise of).

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
To add to the Ilford discussion - in my experience, FP4+ has somewhat more contrast and HP5+ somewhat less. All other things equal, I'll choose FP4+ in flatter light and HP5+ in harsher light if I want to even it out. A lot of times, though, I do need the extra speed and go with HP5+.

I dislike Delta. If I'm shooting a T-grain film, it's going to be Acros. That stuff is magic :allears:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

In my experience, Tri-X pops a little better at stock speeds but HP5 is a little more reliable if you really start pushing it to the 2000-3200 range. I find Delta 3200 to be a bit much when it comes to 35mm, but I think it looks fantastic shot at 3200-6400 on medium format.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

maxmars posted:

Pan F is a slow film. Very fine grain, very contrasty. Never used it (all of my 50 iso was Efke :( before the demise of).

I love Pan F. You lose speed and it's usually not practical to use as a day-to-day film, but goddamn if it doesn't have amazing contrast while keeping a lot of nice, soft mid-greys in between.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, its been a while since I've been in this thread. I've just come into a very large collection of 6x6 negatives that were found in my late great Aunt's house. These would have been taken by my great uncle who passed away about 20 years ago. Based on the age of my uncles and aunts in some of the shots, I can come up with a range of 50's and 60's for the bulk of them.
It looks like the bulk are Kodak Verachrome or Verachrome Pan, and Kodak's date codes are pretty well documented. Has anyone done date estimation of other films? The only other markings I've seen have been ADOX, and I've sent an email asking about historical coding on the film.
I ordered cotton gloves and a 100 pack of Printfile 6x6 sheets (sadly you can buy them as "Instagram print sheets"), as there all in wax paper envelopes currently. My plan is to load them into the sheets and either borrow a light box or build a crappy one and use my DSLR to snap shots of each sheet to quickly digitize them.

I guess I'm looking for some advice on how to handle this amount of negatives to both preserve them and make then accessible. Once I digitize with the camera and decimate into individual frames I'm not really sure how to track them back to a specific page.

Also, these negative are remarkable. They're the highest contrast negatives I've seen. The deepest blacks and clearest highlights (or is it the other way round?). I picked up new chemicals and I'm pretty excited about having something to print in the enlarger setup for 6x6 I got for $10 last year.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there any good 35mm slide film that you can still buy new? I know Provia 400x got discontinued recently. I have a few expired rolls of Ektrachrome Panther 100 in my freezer but it's starting to show its age.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Provia 100f.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cool, I'll pick up a few rolls.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is there any good 35mm slide film that you can still buy new? I know Provia 400x got discontinued recently. I have a few expired rolls of Ektrachrome Panther 100 in my freezer but it's starting to show its age.

I quite like Velvia, I'm pretty sure they're still making 50 (or is it 100)? But I'm stupidly fond of the things Velvia does to reds and oranges.

I've got a little project in mind, some multiple-flash-lit shots of still life - the dinosaur skeletons* in the lobby of the Geology building at the university. I was thinking this would be a good use of the roll of Portra 160 I got in a mixed bag from FilmPhotographyProject a while ago, but I have other films, too. Has anyone used Portra 160 indoors with flash? Would that be a squandered opportunity given Portra's awesome latitude under natural light?

* They're plastic / fibreglass reproductions of actual fossils, not real skeletons

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

rig test 1.0 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

I need to work on this one, me thinks.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Film newbie questions time

So I went out and bought all of the chemicals and gear that I need to process some B&W film. I've been shooting with Ilford HP5 so I decided to go with all Ilford chemicals to make it easy for my first time. I got a 1L bottle of Ilfotec HC concentrate.

The instructions recommend creating a 1+3 dilution to create a stock developer first, and then further diluting that for actually developing the film. But this shortens the lifespan of the developer. I only see myself shooting maybe 1 roll per month tops, so is it worth it for me to mix up the entire concentrate to produce 4L of stock developer, or can I get by with mixing the 1+15, 1+31 or even 1+47 dilution straight from concentrate as I need it?

And what difference does it make on the film if I develop for longer with a weaker solution vs shorter with a stronger solution. Does it matter for my first time, or should I just experiment with different options and figure out what I like best?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

BANME.sh posted:

So I went out and bought all of the chemicals and gear that I need to process some B&W film. I've been shooting with Ilford HP5 so I decided to go with all Ilford chemicals to make it easy for my first time. I got a 1L bottle of Ilfotec HC concentrate.

The instructions recommend creating a 1+3 dilution to create a stock developer first, and then further diluting that for actually developing the film. But this shortens the lifespan of the developer. I only see myself shooting maybe 1 roll per month tops, so is it worth it for me to mix up the entire concentrate to produce 4L of stock developer, or can I get by with mixing the 1+15, 1+31 or even 1+47 dilution straight from concentrate as I need it?

And what difference does it make on the film if I develop for longer with a weaker solution vs shorter with a stronger solution. Does it matter for my first time, or should I just experiment with different options and figure out what I like best?

In general the shorter the dev time (the more concentrated the mixture), the higher the contrast.
Mix your developer fresh each time straight from the bottle, no need to make that intermediary version.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

BANME.sh posted:

Yes, you can (and should) mix your working solution from concentrate. Stock solutions are for people that are going to use it all in a month or two. Developing longer with a weaker solution and less often agitation is known as semistand development. Developer soaks into the film, agitation exchanges the the exhausted developer with fresh stuff from the tank. The theory is that weaker solutions and less agitation will allow the developer to exhaust in the highlights first and then the shadows continue to develop a tiny amount, which adds up to an overall decrease in contrast. You do have to be careful of things like bromide drag if you agitate too little with some films. I recommend getting a notebook and keeping track of times, agitation scheme, and developer concentration until you settle on a routine that you like. Feel free to ask for help on the IRC channel if you need anything, there's almost always at least one film dude in there 24 hours a day and you probably won't get made fun of too hard.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the tips.

Well I successfully developed my first roll, but drat it was pretty sketchy. Had to unwind the film from the reel a few times to get it right. Then I had problems measuring such small amounts of developer (I probably need to buy syringes), and the timing was messy. I think it ended up a tad underdeveloped because the parts that are supposed to be clear are fairly grey still.

I'm letting it dry overnight and I'll post scans in the morning.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah a plastic syringe from the drugstore (as long as it has ml markings) is very useful.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I use 10cc syringes and metal blunt needles to measure chems. You can get them cheap on ebay.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
A tip for letting the film slide effortlessly onto the plastic or metal spiral roll. With your scissors, shape the first couple of cm of film as a pointy arrow.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

So, its been a while since I've been in this thread. I've just come into a very large collection of 6x6 negatives that were found in my late great Aunt's house. These would have been taken by my great uncle who passed away about 20 years ago. Based on the age of my uncles and aunts in some of the shots, I can come up with a range of 50's and 60's for the bulk of them.
It looks like the bulk are Kodak Verachrome or Verachrome Pan, and Kodak's date codes are pretty well documented. Has anyone done date estimation of other films? The only other markings I've seen have been ADOX, and I've sent an email asking about historical coding on the film.
I ordered cotton gloves and a 100 pack of Printfile 6x6 sheets (sadly you can buy them as "Instagram print sheets"), as there all in wax paper envelopes currently. My plan is to load them into the sheets and either borrow a light box or build a crappy one and use my DSLR to snap shots of each sheet to quickly digitize them.

I guess I'm looking for some advice on how to handle this amount of negatives to both preserve them and make then accessible. Once I digitize with the camera and decimate into individual frames I'm not really sure how to track them back to a specific page.

Also, these negative are remarkable. They're the highest contrast negatives I've seen. The deepest blacks and clearest highlights (or is it the other way round?). I picked up new chemicals and I'm pretty excited about having something to print in the enlarger setup for 6x6 I got for $10 last year.

That sounds really cool! Also, way less effort than digitizing via scanner. Sadly, not an option for the 70+ rolls of 120 of my personal stuff I have laying around, but I'll probably do something similar with my parents' 35mm negs next time I'm home, just to get them digitized with reasonable-ish quality in reasonable-ish time (for not much money).

I think you can use an oil marker (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC they don't have any of the potentially harmful acids in the ink) to write on the negative sleeve. You can do something like name the Printfile page "001" and give each frame you slide off a number from 1-12, for a final filename like "00106" for the 6th frame on the first ("001") sheet. For the next batch/page, name it "002" and do the same, then store the sheets physically in order. I have one of these for my negs and it's pretty awesome. Store the digital files in folders (named 001, 002, etc) and it should be pretty easy to match a scan to a physical negative, and vice-versa.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

BANME.sh posted:

I think it ended up a tad underdeveloped because the parts that are supposed to be clear are fairly grey still.

This means you need to fix longer and/or with more agitation. How do the parts that are supposed to look black look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
The blacks look fine. Nice and dark, not washed out or anything. But then again I have nothing to compare them to