Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Turn 5 Commander 2HG win? Turn 5 Commander 2HG win.

The other opponent conceded right before the screenshot.

I had the nuts draw of T1 Sol Ring, T2 Purph, T3 Urabrask, T4 Anger + Skullclamp, T5 Rapacious One. My ally's highlights included "Playing His Commander" and "Swinging for 1 with an elf". Would have been a T4 win if my opponent hadn't had 2 good swings with his Wurmcoil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Agentdark posted:

So what exactly is the blue moon deck running

the wincons are 2 master of waves and 2 batterskull. then there's cryptics, snares, and leaks, and shackles + bolts if they have creatures.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Balon posted:

Turn 5 Commander 2HG win? Turn 5 Commander 2HG win.

The other opponent conceded right before the screenshot.

I had the nuts draw of T1 Sol Ring, T2 Purph, T3 Urabrask, T4 Anger + Skullclamp, T5 Rapacious One. My ally's highlights included "Playing His Commander" and "Swinging for 1 with an elf". Would have been a T4 win if my opponent hadn't had 2 good swings with his Wurmcoil.

This was the type of deck that more or less straight up got me banned from ever playing monored in my EDH group a couple of years ago.

Heartless Hidgetsu? Krenko? Just too fast what was my ever sluggish group. Warp World wasn't too popular with them either.

I should give the even faster red god a try now.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
here's my updated mono-black devotion deck after trading some cards with a friend.

http://deck.tk/8ea51hi4
//Lands
1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
20 Swamp
2 Temple of Deceit

//Spells
2 Bile Blight
1 Doom Blade
1 Duress
4 Hero's Downfall
2 Pharika's Cure
2 Read the Bones
1 Thoughtseize
3 Underworld Connections
2 Whip of Erebos

//Creatures
3 Agent of the Fates
1 Desecration Demon
2 Erebos's Emissary
2 Erebos, God of the Dead
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
2 Herald of Torment
2 Nightveil Specter
4 Pack Rat

//Sideboard
SB: 1 Erebos's Emissary
SB: 1 Whip of Erebos
SB: 2 Eye Gouge
SB: 2 Pharika's Cure
SB: 3 Doom Blade
SB: 2 Duress
SB: 2 Bile Blight
SB: 1 Herald of Torment
SB: 1 Pain Seer

I still need to pick up a few more thoughtseizes, some more desecration demons, and a few more nightveil specters. not holding my breath on mutavault's.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Second night of watching Joe Lossett playing Food Chain combo in Legacy, he was constantly 1 counterspell away from hardcasting Emrakrul several games in a row. I'm guessing he needs to just run more early threats that eat up counters or run more counters himself? I can't imagine him playing Goyf but I could see that being a solid early game threat and possible mana dork to feed to food chain if needed.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Loving Life Partner posted:

How can I shove Assemble The Legion into MURDERGOATS, I'm so god damned greedy. It's just that one white mana symbol :negative:

Make a list and post it in the brewhaus, man! :colbert:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Loving Life Partner posted:

How can I shove Assemble The Legion into MURDERGOATS, I'm so god damned greedy. It's just that one white mana symbol :negative:

Drop the black, make it White/Red - run burn, Young Peezy, Purph, Assemble, and Brimaz. Chain to the Rocks, Warleader's Helix, Boros Charm, Lightning Strike, etc etc.

Balon fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 22, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Korak posted:

Second night of watching Joe Lossett playing Food Chain combo in Legacy, he was constantly 1 counterspell away from hardcasting Emrakrul several games in a row. I'm guessing he needs to just run more early threats that eat up counters or run more counters himself? I can't imagine him playing Goyf but I could see that being a solid early game threat and possible mana dork to feed to food chain if needed.

Does he run that blue mythic bird that can be cast from the RFG zone? I always wanted to get that combo off but never cared enough to actually do it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I've never had any desire to play Modern until I saw Matthias Hunt's Amulet/Titan/Pact/Hive Mind...thing. The deck just looks awesome as hell.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

You know what sucks? Wizards broadcast team.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Only their broadcast team?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

qbert posted:

I've never had any desire to play Modern until I saw Matthias Hunt's Amulet/Titan/Pact/Hive Mind...thing. The deck just looks awesome as hell.

It's been around for awhile,, if memory serves. Gained some notoriety last year overseas, anyway.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mikujin posted:

It's been around for awhile,, if memory serves. Gained some notoriety last year overseas, anyway.

This is absolutely not the first time Amulet of Vigor shot up due to this deck.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Balon posted:

Drop the black, make it White/Red - run burn, Young Peezy, Purph, Assemble, and Brimaz. Chain to the Rocks, Warleader's Helix, Boros Charm, Lightning Strike, etc etc.

I have a deck concept like this. I have can repost it in Brewhaus for you. I am just waiting for Brimaz to drop a tad.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

qbert posted:

Amulet is weird. I played against it last night. It can win t2, but it also just looses. I 2-0'd it with affinity.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
I like Blood Moon being a player this pro tour. Punish those people being greedy with their manabase!

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Stall_19 posted:

I like Blood Moon being a player this pro tour. Punish those people being greedy with their manabase!

Blue Moon vs the amulet deck was incredibly hilarious. Mathias Hunt just keeps dropping non-basic after non-basic and there's nothing he can do.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
There was some lighting storm combo deck on the wizards stream and it's hilarious. i've never seen it before, is it new or am I just unobservant?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Livingtrope posted:

There was some lighting storm combo deck on the wizards stream and it's hilarious. i've never seen it before, is it new or am I just unobservant?

It's been around for a little while on MTGO but I don't think it has ever been in a big paper event.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Livingtrope posted:

Its essence is an Angel's Grace + Ad Nauseam combo, which has been around for a while. The way you win once you draw your entire deck is somewhat less consequential, so I'm not sure if the Lightning Storm is an innovation or not.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Thanks! Lightning Storm is an awesome card and any deck that can successfully play it is cool in my book.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Livingtrope posted:

Moderately old deck, TCGPlayer I know has a guy that has done a few videos on it. It's surprisingly consistent from what I've seen and I agree with the commentators that with people moving to Zoo or having unreliable mana to push out an early Liliana that the deck has become better. Lightning Storm is a pretty standard win con.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Lightning Storm or Conflagrate are the usual kills. Each have the same mana cost but I'm not sure the pros/cons of each.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

suicidesteve posted:

Does he run that blue mythic bird that can be cast from the RFG zone? I always wanted to get that combo off but never cared enough to actually do it.
Yes he is and it is awesome when it goes off.

Whoa 8rack or Pox on camera... This PT has been awesome.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

50 pounds of bread posted:

You know what sucks? Wizards broadcast team.

Marshall isn't terrible. Having to listen to Brian David Marshall is, though.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
You know what's good? Three racks on the table vs Pod.

Ugh game 3 perfect top deck after a terrible mulligan to 6 hand. 8Rack needs more ways of killing Pod I suppose.

Korak fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 22, 2014

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

3 Racks Amulet of Vigor Blue Moon best Pro Tour Ever! :swoon:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Is the Patrick Dickman deck tech online yet?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
^^^ His list is on MTG Salvation but I'm arsed to find it for you. :P

Finkel is 7-0 in modern with Storm. Apparently he spent the past 10 days goldfishing over and over again, it obviously paid off.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Too bad Finkel went 2-4 in draft so we're not likely to see the storm deck on camera.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I dislike the split formats, I'd rather have a full weekend of Modern. I also think it vastly disadvantages new participants who would already be pressed to prepare with just one format to worry about.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Has anyone else noticed Courser of Kruphix jumping to $8 TCGmid? What the hell happened?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

AlternateNu posted:

Has anyone else noticed Courser of Kruphix jumping to $8 TCGmid? What the hell happened?
Modern and Standard Jund is using it as a new tech. Ceddy has been showing off on his stream for the past week and Courser smooths out a lot of the awkward draws Jund was having. Courser honestly has no where but to go up in price as we near rotation or a new set that improves greens hole in the meta. Real deal for a 3 drop.

Stinky Pit posted:

I dislike the split formats, I'd rather have a full weekend of Modern. I also think it vastly disadvantages new participants who would already be pressed to prepare with just one format to worry about.
Yeah at the very least it should have been Standard/Modern split or Block/Modern split. The idea that you can ace the Modern part and not get top 8 is a little hosed up.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
While I'd rather have a full weekend of Modern too, I see what the split format has been designed to do and I think it does it pretty well--make the top level of play find the most well-rounded Magic player. If you want major tournaments that test people's ability to prepare for a single format, that's obviously what Grand Prix are for.

netcat posted:

Blue Moon vs the amulet deck was incredibly hilarious. Mathias Hunt just keeps dropping non-basic after non-basic and there's nothing he can do.

Hilarious and a bit sad to see Blood Moon preying on that deck in particular, since it actually uses nonbasics to do some cool/different poo poo, as opposed to simply hmm, yes, I shall use fetches and shocks to play all of the colors.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 22, 2014

Music For Cats
May 30, 2011

As a spectator I prefer the split formats, I just think Theros and Return to Ravnica have been boring limited formats. Dark Ascension was a great pro tour to watch in large part because the formats were interesting.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

quote:

Chris Mascioli ‏@dieplstks 13h

That UR moon deck might be the best performing constructed day 1 PT deck of all time. Had a higher win % than CFB cawblade on day 1.
Too lazy to look up what cawblade's win percentage was, Blue Moon sitting at 65.7% on day 1.

vvv This is a terrible gimmick. :(

quote:

Where's the Rashad hat cam?

Korak fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 22, 2014

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
So apparently they're showing 4 matches at once this round on stream.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Draft last night was meh....but after the usual FNM we had a special after-hours, invite-only event...UNHINGED DRAFT!

I'm actually a relatively new player (only started in Innistrad), so I never got to play this set at all. Our store's owners went all out, too...ordered a ton of these bizarre cheeseburger pizzas, piped in Weird Al music the whole time, beer provided to all players, etc.

It might be the single most fun draft I've ever done. I wish this is what magic was ALL THE TIME.

I went Dimir, with a full playset of Booster Tutors that led to some hilarious results. Every single pack had a backbreaking card in it, though sadly I couldn't play the Bonfire I pulled from AVR. The all-stars were definitely Carnivorous Death Parrots, Mother of Goons with Loose Lips, and Magical Hacker (suck on that, Shoe Tree!).

Two of us managed to draft 2+ Farewell to Arms and played both at once. My friend was a dick...he took both arms, made him constantly solicit masturbation assistance using Loose Lips, then played Enter the Dungeon and made him play on the floor without arms. Total respect for SOMEHOW WINNING THROUGH ALL OF THAT :catstare:

The down-side is we didn't finish until 5:30am....but I regret NOTHING!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Went 6-1 at FNM with my satyr burn deck last night! Got into top 4 and we all decided to split and go home. Played against 3 R/G monsters, beat two, went 1-2 with the third because he got a ruric thar out and I never hit a chains to remove it. Only my second FNM and there were almost 40 people there so I'm pretty happy with how my deck played out, I was the only one running a fast burn deck. Also won the promo card (which i then traded for a coursier) and my fiancee won the random draw for a promo herself. She actually went 2-2-2 with the selesnya tokens deck I made, which is awesome considering I'm the only person she's played up til now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
If you're not watching and you're the type of person that slows down to watch car wrecks...

• Locked thread