Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I think it says that all AU fanfics that involve some characters logically must necessarily always definitely obviously have them be conceived by rape? I don't know, I can barely read this and I think trying to parse it is giving me brain damage.

Tropers really can't imagine a fiction without rape, can they?

A lot of people like to write AU fanfic.
Okay, sure.

This implies the situation of their birth is normal, instead of time-paradox.
Alright, still with you.

Therefore, rape.
:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Hey did you know that TvTropes classifies Dinosaur Comics as a furry webcomic? http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FurryWebcomics

quote:

Dinosaur Comics: Not actually a furry comic in any sense, as it contains no anthropomorphized animals at all! Notable for being the probably only comic in existence to only ever use the same six panels (containing exactly three dinosaurs), despite having literally thousands of strips at this point.

Did you know TvTropes confusingly both does and doesn't classify Dinosaur Comics as a furry webcomic?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Fridge Horror: Pokemon are scary!

quote:

Ditto can manipulate its own DNA code, so potentially it could assume the form of anything that uses Deoxyribose nucleic acid, such as bacteria. While you're all sitting on that (bioweapons imminent), it's probably not actually assuming the real form of rocks and other non-DNA things so much as simply imitating their general shape.

Look at this horrifying bioweapon. Look at it

quote:

Catch a common Pokémon (a Rattata, for example) and train it in that same area against others of its kind. Chances are, you're PITTING YOUR POKEMON AGAINST ITS FAMILY AS THEY TRY TO STOP YOU FROM CATCHING THEIR LOVED ONE!!!!
It's a rat.

quote:

The abilities Insomnia and Vital Spirit render the Pokemon unable to fall asleep. But it's not limited to the enemy attacks, as the Pokemon can't go to sleep even if it uses a sleep-inducing move on itself! Are they actually unable to sleep altogether...?
Can't be put to sleep in the middle of a violent battle = CANNOT EVER SLEEP EVER THE HORROR THE HORROR

quote:

Vacuum Wave is a Fighting type move, so its not very effective against Flying types. But a move that sucks the air away from you should screw you over if you're airborne. - Kingler
* Vacuum wave does not suck air, it send "pure vacuum" at the opponent. It is a reference to Street Fighter, specifically the sinku hadoken (though given that is a slow strong charge up move and this is a quick weak priority one...)
Wait where's the scary part

quote:

Giratina. First of all, where it's located is filled with floating land-masses, inexplicably growing giant flowers, and land masses that just appear and disappear for no logical reason, and that the ENTIRE area is an alternate dimension comprised of anti-matter in which Giratina is the only living thing that dwells there. Second, it's essentially an Eldritch Abomination in Ghost-Dragon form. In other words, you're trying to capture/defeat something that simply should not exist. Think about it. You're pretty much fighting a Pokémon version of Yog-Sothoth himself.

quote:

In the first episode of Rival Destinies the gang goes on a roller coaster with loops (inside a Gym). But Pikachu and Axew are riding on their caretakers' shoulders, not buckled in or held. How is that safe?

I think I get how Fridge Horror works now, let me give it a shot:

"In the Legend of Zelda, Link has a sword and fights monsters. Okay, fair enough. But how safe is that? Even if you're just crossing an open field, you might be attacked. And if the monsters hit you enough? YOU WILL DIE. Think about that. Oh, and in some games, Link is as young as ten. Let that sink in for a moment. And some monsters look like skeletons or zombies or whatever. Who's to say they aren't other ten-year-old boys who went out with swords to save the world? Who's to say they aren't Link's old friends and family. Yeah. Think about that. Oh, and if you do die? The bad guys win and might be able to take over the world. Let that sink in for a bit. Think. About. That. You're welcome."

Let's see what they actually have to say about Fridge Horror in Zelda:

quote:

Why would the npcs have HEARTS of all things in their pots/chests? Think about it.

THINK ABOUT THAT MOTHERFUCKER, GOOD LUCK SLEEPING TONIGHT

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012
TvTropes pleads the Fifth: THINK ABOUT THAT MOTHERFUCKER, GOOD LUCK SLEEPING TONIGHT

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Rats are actually pretty intelligent and one of the few creatures in the animal kingdom to feel empathy for strangers.

I know this, because a friend of mine wouldn't shut up about it when she got her first rat. Thanks, Maria!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Rats are actually pretty intelligent and one of the few creatures in the animal kingdom to feel empathy for strangers.

I know this, because a friend of mine wouldn't shut up about it when she got her first rat. Thanks, Maria!

Yeah, see, this is why you don't compare tropers to rats. Even the really pale, pink-eyed ones.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Fridge Horror: Theme parks are scary!

quote:

When designing The Haunted Mansion, Walt Disney originally wanted to place it on Main Street USA. Which is based on his hometown.
Is the implication meant to be that... Disney was a ghost all along? I don't get what they're going for here.

quote:

Maybe this is more obvious than it was for me, but in the Stretching Room, the Ghost Host says that there are no windows and no doors, which means there's no way out... "Of course, there's always my way." Just then, the room goes dark and a body is seen hanging above the ceiling. I didn't realize this until later, but that's HIS BODY. HE HUNG HIMSELF. THAT WAS HIS WAY OUT.

quote:

When things start to become a little chaotic on Universal Studios' Jurassic Park ride, you pass a boat just like the one you're riding in. It's empty, except for a carnivorous Dilophosaurus with a shred of clothing in its mouth. So, the implication here seems to be that the men, women, and children in that tour boat were VICIOUSLY DEVOURED. See also Nightmare Fuel.
That's not Fridge Horror, that's :thejoke:

quote:

Another terrifying moment in that ride if thought about too hard occurs at the very end of the ride. A T.rex appears and roars just before you plunge down a vertical 80-foot drop. The implication may well be that the T.rex just pushed your boat off the edge of a tall cliff to your gruesome death in the water tens of meters below. You just DIED on this ride!!
Submitted for your consideration: a man who cannot tell the difference between fiction and reality. Cowering in terror of every tale he hears woven, his own story comes to an end with a heart attack when someone says "By the way you're dead" to him... in the Twilight Zone.

Let's see if Homestuck is still Fridge Rape!

quote:

Marquise Mindfang committed Mind Rape to induce flushed feelings and then physical rape of her slave. Aranea committed Mind Rape of Gamzee. A moirail is supposed to pacify their partner and solve their problems; by pacifying Gamzee without his permission and healing Jake when he specifically told her not to, has she pale-raped them?
I gather Homestuck has a thing where friendship is considered romance, so I think this is saying that being friendly to someone without permission is rape?

quote:

Just how many times have John and Jade watched Con Air over the two years that they've been traveling across the Yellow Yard?
Oh come on.

Let's switch from Fridge Horror to Nightmare Fuel, which is for things that are obviously scary even if you don't think about them. What's the scariest thing in noted horror comic XKCD?

quote:

To some, how frigging BIG the 4th panel of Click and Drag counts.

This isn't even agoraphobia, since you only see a small square section at a time. This is literally Tropers admitting they're scared of the outside world.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I gather Homestuck has a thing where friendship is considered romance, so I think this is saying that being friendly to someone without permission is rape?

"Your best friend who you help chill out over poo poo" is a form of romance in Homestuck. To be more fair to that entry than tropers deserve, both instances being talked about were psychic brainwashing. The first one was actually intended in comic to be rape. Homestuck has its share of creepy moments that encourage this sort of poo poo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zerilan posted:

"Your best friend who you help chill out over poo poo" is a form of romance in Homestuck.

For a bunch of aliens. The human characters are mystified over it when they hear about it too.

Zerilan posted:

The first one was actually intended in comic to be rape.

Did the author actually say that? Doing it would further the "rapist"'s sinister plans and the effect of the healing causes this huge power surge that gets the healee killed by someone else. Metaphor for rape or not there was no possible way it was meant to evoke the friend-romance thing, so tropers are still being idiots.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Zerilan posted:

"Your best friend who you help chill out over poo poo" is a form of romance in Homestuck. To be more fair to that entry than tropers deserve, both instances being talked about were psychic brainwashing. The first one was actually intended in comic to be rape. Homestuck has its share of creepy moments that encourage this sort of poo poo.

Aliens call it that, and they make a big show of telling everyone how HUMANS DON'T UNDERSTAND and everything but it becomes apparent that it's basically just regular old BFFs. The aliens use the word 'romance' for relationships in general, whether actually romantic or just friendly.

As usual, tropers don't get it even when it's thrown in their face.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Did the author actually say that? Doing it would further the "rapist"'s sinister plans and the effect of the healing causes this huge power surge that gets the healee killed by someone else. Metaphor for rape or not there was no possible way it was meant to evoke the friend-romance thing, so tropers are still being idiots.

I meant the Mindfang journal one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Have some Troper stuff:

Okay, this is the main villain of my High Fantasy novel, still in progress.

Name: Delphina

Age: Until I've decided on a strict timeline, somewhere between 20, 000 and 5, 000 or so. Completely ageless.

Abilities: Highly intelligent, has a flying near-indestructible flying fortress. She can use her tremendous magical powers to do nearly anything, as in my story the only rules of magic are the laws of thermodynamics. She has set up a plan millennia in the making, and nothing has slowed it down, yet. She can communicate and act through artifacts of her kingdom, and is only limited by the power stored within. She has a lot of power stored, after the millenia.

Weaknesses: The fact that she's physically very, very far away until her fortress finally arrives. Tendency to panic when too many things disrupt her plan. The hero wields the only weapon that can kill her, and it essentially neutralizes her powers. She also has the problem of managing her minions, as, again, she is very, very far away from them.

Goals: She wants stability and order in the world, essentially to take it over. She wants to be worshiped, and her laws to be obeyed, no matter what. She's actually already worshiped in some nations (Though not ones that met her) and they service her, so she's partway there.

Motivation: This is more complicated than just ego- she is a goddess, in a practical sense, and honestly believes she needs to for the world's sake. She feels that disorder leads to too much hate and despair, and so she wants to completely control the world. She also feels that she deserves to be worshipped, as a goddess.

Role in the story: She is the master power behind the villains in the early part of the story, responsible for the destruction of a race of Benevolent Precursors, and indirectly of the near-utter decimation of the hero's people. Once she arrives physically, she is The Heavy par excellence.

Backstory: Created by a race of sorcerer folk tired of backstabbing politicians, who wanted someone powerful and intelligent in charge. She actually did a pretty good job until she got into a war with the aforementioned Precursors and ended up wiping out her own people, save for her [[dragon The Dragon]], a sorcerer.

Relevant Tropes:

(redacted)

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
Pretty sure that troper has no idea what the laws of thermodynamics actually are. Either that, or his paper-thin villain is actually the sun in drag.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Pretty amazing thread from back in December.

I'd post quotes, but really, it deserves to be viewed in its entirety for what a gigantic rabbithole it manages to encompass in four short pages.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Darth Walrus posted:

I'd post quotes, but really, it deserves to be viewed in its entirety for what a gigantic rabbithole it manages to encompass in four short pages.

holy poo poo

quote:

I get that a lot of people in this site (including many of the staff) are feminists, but, please: stop acting like your views are absolute and that this is above discussion. This is not the only place where non-feminist views are censored and treated as unworthy (wikipedia does that a lot, too).

It is not hard to see the bias in that section against MR As (even though it "tries" to be impartial). This is not a thread to discuss whether or not feminism/the MRM is right or wrong, but to point out and discuss instances of bias in the site that really should be eliminated because they alienate plenty of readers that are NOT just trolls or whatever most feminists seem to think the majority of MR As are.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

SodomyGoat101 posted:

...Either that, or his paper-thin villain is actually the sun in drag.

There's a "flaming queen" pun in there somewhere, but I don't think Tropers are clever enough to get it.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Darth Walrus posted:

That was a pretty good read.

Troper Morgan Wick sure wrote a lot of boring :words: and :biotruths:

quote:

The comparison isn't completely apt, but I think similarly the majority of women don't actually want what feminism promises them, don't actually want to be anything more than a mother and housewife, for reasons that go beyond culture and more towards basic evolutionary psychology. Even when they make good points, the mere existence of women like GWW seems to invite the attitude that as a whole, women will always subordinate themselves to men. On some level, I think feminists even recognize this, because a big part of third-wave feminism has been less about "women can do everything the men can" (as it turns out they just don't want to) and more about raising the profile of the women's world - less about not insulting women by relegating them to "women's work", and more about not insulting "women's work" by relegating them to women.

quote:

For the record, I personally don't think true equality, in anything (even something as seemingly arbitrary as race), is possible given human nature. In the case of sexism especially, I think the roles of the sexes are the natural result of both sexes acting according to their nature as civilization has developed, which naturally tends to privilege the male sphere and commoditize the female sphere. I don't deny that women, even those that stick to the female sphere, have been marginalized in an unfortunate way as a result, but I'm not sure they aren't their own worst enemy on that front.

but he also nearly approached self-awareness

quote:

Heck, if you're asking people to actually watch any piece of art, you're in the wrong place; this place practically encourages forming all your opinions on something from their trope pages.

I say "nearly" because anyone who's fully aware of how worthless tvtropes is wouldn't still be posting on the site.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

Slime posted:

Aliens call it that, and they make a big show of telling everyone how HUMANS DON'T UNDERSTAND and everything but it becomes apparent that it's basically just regular old BFFs. The aliens use the word 'romance' for relationships in general, whether actually romantic or just friendly.

As usual, tropers don't get it even when it's thrown in their face.

Not just tropers who don't get it. Tumblr really took the quadrant joke at face value to the point where you see in-fighting amongst shippers because someone else is placing a pair 'in the wrong quadrant'. :allears: It's fascinating.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

crowfeathers posted:

The main villain of my High Fantasy novel, still in progress.

Relationship to the hero- he has a weapon that neutralises her powers.

He has a weapon that neutralises her powers.

He has a WEPAON THAT-

Okay, storywriting 101 here. Your villain should not be at their weakest when the main character confronts them. If anything, the main character should fight them at the worst possible time, when they are at their very strongest, when the stakes are as high as possible. If I give my main character an ace up his sleeve which is literally 'and the bad guy (who is REALLY STRONG) can't actually do poo poo to him' then I have failed as a writer. How in the hell is this character going to be a threat to the main character if he can just neutralise everything she tries?

Oh yeah, minions. Because once you carve through a squad of them in half a scene, they're still a credible threat, right?

E: If your character has literal god powers, at least have them have a trick. Something they do regularly- their 'punch,' their opening move, something to give them more definition than just 'can do fuckin' anything.' Darth Vader could do whatever the gently caress he wanted with the Force, but his trick was force choking, and it made him memorable (and there was that bit in the third movie where Luke used something very similar to draw parallels between the two). Gara in Naruto (special ability- psychic-ish control of sand) had a basic attack which was 'encase the enemy in a ball of sand.' That was his punch. He could do basically anything he wanted, but his 'punch' was entombing his opponent. If that failed, things got interesting. There is no reason to have boring power sets in genre fiction.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 23, 2014

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Somfin posted:

Relationship to the hero- he has a weapon that neutralises her powers.

He has a weapon that neutralises her powers.

He has a WEPAON THAT-

Okay, storywriting 101 here. Your villain should not be at their weakest when the main character confronts them. If anything, the main character should fight them at the worst possible time, when they are at their very strongest, when the stakes are as high as possible. If I give my main character an ace up his sleeve which is literally 'and the bad guy (who is REALLY STRONG) can't actually do poo poo to him' then I have failed as a writer. How in the hell is this character going to be a threat to the main character if he can just neutralise everything she tries?

Oh yeah, minions. Because once you carve through a squad of them in half a scene, they're still a credible threat, right?

It is somewhat acceptable if the hero acquires the weapon after a long and arduous task that the villain - and pretty much everyone else - thought impossible. Punishing hubris of villains has a long and proud storytelling tradition. Of course, you still need to make the villain seem threatening enough. If the first scene that shows the hero also shows him wielding the weapon that will give him victory, there is zero dramatic tension.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

ArchangeI posted:

It is somewhat acceptable if the hero acquires the weapon after a long and arduous task that the villain - and pretty much everyone else - thought impossible. Punishing hubris of villains has a long and proud storytelling tradition. Of course, you still need to make the villain seem threatening enough. If the first scene that shows the hero also shows him wielding the weapon that will give him victory, there is zero dramatic tension.

There are ways to go about having an opening like that: in media res, telling the story up to that point, the villain steals the weapon, some bag guy breaks it necessitating a reforging or a quest to find something of equal power - but, as usual, that requires a writer capable of more than BEEP BOOP TROPES FOR THE TROPE GOD.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Google search says it's from https://www.spacebattles.com's fanfiction forum:

The Spacebattles forum churns out some decent fan fiction, but it is populated with a particular brand of nerd that loves nitpicking, tech porn, and pointless details to the detraction of the actual story.

Rogue 7 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 23, 2014

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Rogue 7 posted:

...a particular brand of nerd that loves nitpicking, tech porn, and pointless details to the detraction of the actual story.

Deboss is back?

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Penny Paper posted:

Deboss is back?

I'm sorry, what now?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Rogue 7 posted:

I'm sorry, what now?
Über-troper who exalted Animorphs as the pinnacle of literature. Literally believed that there was no value in reading books more than a few decades old and had a special disdain for Shakespeare. Had a job pushing carts at Home Depot, despite having graduated college (with an engineering degree, naturally). Affectionately dubbed "Debot" by goons in threads past.

Rogue 7 posted:

The Spacebattles forum churns out some decent fan fiction, but
Go on. :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Penny Paper posted:

Deboss is back?

When (and why) did he leave? Did the mods finally lose patience with him like with Rottweiler?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Rottweiler left on his own accord, I think because of annebeeche's banning. Don't recall what happened to Deboss though, maybe he just dropped off.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, yes, I remember now, it was Major Tom the mods decided they'd had enough of.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Metal Loaf posted:

Ah, yes, I remember now, it was Major Tom the mods decided they'd had enough of.

He wasn't banned, he was told to leave, and like a good troper he always follows orders.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I thought he was only banned from the political forum.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

made of bees posted:

I thought he was only banned from the political forum.

That's correct, yes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. Should've been more specific.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

A troper named Polar in their LGBT rights thread announces she's getting married!

soban posted:

Polar, I have very mixed feelings about this. One half of me is excited that you are taking a big step towards what you think will be your future joy. The other half is worried that your taking a step that will lead you down a path that will not lead you to Joy. In the end, it is not what I think that is right that matters, it's God's. So, when I go to bed tonight, here is my prayer for you and your family.

Lord, someone who I admire is getting married soon. Polar is a great woman, she is a constant window into a world that I do not understand. Give me better understanding of her. However, lord based on what I think you have told me, I think she's making a mistake. If she knows you, I pray for her to know you better. If she does not, I pray that she does come to know you. In your will, I pray blessings, truth, and wisdom upon her and her family. Bless her life, her wife, and her children with the knowledge of you. Lead them in paths of righteousness for your name's sake. Surround them with a hedge of protection. Lead them to a joy and fullness of life that is found in you. Let your plans and purposes for her prevail. Amen.

soban posted:

This is the LGBT rights and religion thread is it not? I feel that the prayer and emotion I feel about this is entirely appropriate to talk about and address here.

soban posted:

Gabrael, you seem to be missing that I want to strike up a conversation about my prayer and why it is right/wrong/tacky/appropriate is why I posted it up here. I was going to pray something like that if I posted it up here or not. I do talk to God about the people on this forum a lot. The question is not if I will talk to God about ya'll but how should I do it?

Second, I'm not 100% convinced that Polar is going to hell. I take a opt-out version of heaven rather then an opt-in one that is so popular today. I mentioned hell nowhere in my post or in my prayer. Homosexuality is not something that is talked about a lot in the bible. Like five verses out of many thousands talk directly about it. I think someone can be both a Christian and homosexual. Just like someone can be a christian and a Liar or a Christian and a adulterer. If you ask me or talk to me about those two issues, I'm going to talk about them to you and shed light on the issue as I believe the Bible talks about it. Just because you do have sin in your life does not mean your going to hell.

Third, I pray that she does see the light of God. If I am wrong, then she needs to be looking at the truth of what the Bible communicates either way. If I am wrong about homosexuality, I fully support her. If I am right, I want her to come to a knowledge of the truth. In both cases, I want her to find truth, joy, and peace.

Gabrael, let me turn the question around to you. If you were a Christian who believed like I do, how would you pray for Polar? Feel free to take the prayer I have and amend it to be both consistent with my beliefs, concerns, and respectful of polar and what she is doing in her life.

Captain Ahab posted:

Alright, that's enough forever from Soban. Creepiest thing I've ever read posing as a "prayer." Soban has nothing of value for us to hear and is banned from these forums.

:unsmith:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wow, that was hosed up. Glad that was rightfully jumped on. (There is a trope for that.)

It's insanely creepy that they thought that'd be appropriate or that anyone would be grateful to hear them say that. Then again, you could say that exact thing about countless other things on TV Tropes.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's probably very rare that anyone gets called out or punished in any way for being awful or creepy. Anyone who does try would most likely get punished themselves for disturbing the hugbox.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Pleasingly (and slightly oddly, given the content of the site), Fast Eddie really loving hates MRAs as well. The rare occasions when he crosses paths with one are a joy to behold.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Darth Walrus posted:

Pleasingly (and slightly oddly, given the content of the site), Fast Eddie really loving hates MRAs as well. The rare occasions when he crosses paths with one are a joy to behold.

Please do give an example. I would love to see what happened when he confronts one.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MizPiz posted:

Please do give an example. I would love to see what happened when he confronts one.

The exchange starting here is a pretty good case in point.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Someone has actually done it. Someone has gone and taken what we claim they think and made it something they actually think. From a thread in World Building entitled "Why can't i be original?" Behold this post from Aw Sam Weston (Relationship Status: Above such petty unnecessities):

quote:

Bouncing off the "no such thing as originality" claim, I'd like to point out that "Genre Fiction" (Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Horror, Westerns, Film Noir...) are just collections of tropes that are mixed, matched, arranged, and (sometimes) thrown out. Kinda like a cooking recipe.
So, if you know the tropes well enough, you can play with them and (if it's done well) your story will come across as original.

And yeah, knowing the real world helps too. Tolkien drew from Norse myth. C S Lewis drew from Christian theology (and it's helpful to note he was friends with Tolkien). Rick Riordan drew from Greek/Roman/Egyptian mythology. Rowling drew from the "fantastic creatures" and "medieval wizard" pools. George Lucas made Star Wars thanks to the Monomyth idea.

One final note: A little World Building never hurts. If you look at the authors you listed, a good chunk of them spent 5+ years on the world alone.

-Rowling took 10 years developing Harry Potter and the world around him before she even started the actual books.
-Tolkien made early versions of his Elvish languages as a soldier in World War I, and didn't publish any of it until The Hobbit became a success.
-L Frank Baum (if I remember right) developed the land of Oz more as he wrote more books.
-George Lucas took several years to flesh out the Star Wars universe before he presented it to 20th Century Fox.

So for a Fantasy story, don't worry about "originality." Worry about how much you put into the story and the setting.

I can't read this without my voice going all nasal and whiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Somfin posted:

Someone has actually done it. Someone has gone and taken what we claim they think and made it something they actually think. From a thread in World Building entitled "Why can't i be original?" Behold this post from Aw Sam Weston (Relationship Status: Above such petty unnecessities):

I can't read this without my voice going all nasal and whiny.
That was already posted. Same as how every idea that will ever exist has already been imagined. Really, you've just proven the guy's point. :v:

• Locked thread