Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Seriously. I cannot imagine having to wait for the lab to come by for draws if I'm doing serial anything. Maybe 4am standard ones, but anything else? Everything would just break down. If you've got PICCs, why not draw? I don't understand at all. It'd be like having an art line and not being able to take meds off of it. Just. Why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
To be honest I don't know. We don't even have tubes on our unit. I had a wonky CBC come back this morning so lab called and asked if I wanted to run with it or redraw. He had a tlsc so I said I would redraw. I found ONE purple top tube on the whole unit. So this is probably a big factor.
Although, when I did my practicum at a very well known teaching hospital, I NEVER saw lab. We did all our own draws.

SuzieMcAwesome fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 23, 2014

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

To be honest I don't know. We don't even have tubes on our unit. I had a wonky CNBC come back this morning so lab called and asked if I wanted to run with it or redraw. He had a tlsc so I said I would redraw. I found ONE purple top tube on the whole unit. So this is probably a big factor.
Although, when I did my practicum at a very well known teaching hospital, I NEVER saw lab. We did all our own draws.

Yeah still madness. What hellhole HCA pit do you work in?

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

I want to hear from any goons who have worked as a travel nurse. From what I have heard, you can make crazy cash doing this job right out of school since the employers usually pay for your housing and other fees. To me, it seems like a really good idea as a new nurse because you can explore lots of different hospitals and different nursing jobs so that maybe you'll actually figure out what unit you will prefer for long term employment. However my husband isn't as down with moving every few weeks and I'm unsure how to convince him in the event that he takes an online Masters' course and we actually ARE able to move that often.

I want to know what you think are the benefits and drawbacks of working as a travel nurse. Would you suggest it?

Dirp
May 16, 2007

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

I want to hear from any goons who have worked as a travel nurse. From what I have heard, you can make crazy cash doing this job right out of school since the employers usually pay for your housing and other fees. To me, it seems like a really good idea as a new nurse because you can explore lots of different hospitals and different nursing jobs so that maybe you'll actually figure out what unit you will prefer for long term employment. However my husband isn't as down with moving every few weeks and I'm unsure how to convince him in the event that he takes an online Masters' course and we actually ARE able to move that often.

I want to know what you think are the benefits and drawbacks of working as a travel nurse. Would you suggest it?

You're going to need 1.5-2 years experience minimum before you can do this.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

As Dirp mentioned above, you're going to need some experience before you start travel nursing. I can tell you that as a Med/Surg nurse with 1 year of nursing at a Level II Trauma Center, I couldn't find a travel company that could get me a job. So, I transferred in hospital to the ICU and will be building some more experience before I try again.

Also, as a travel nurse you're expected to hit the floor running. We currently have about 7 travelers working in my unit and they each received 1 day of orientation before they were taking a full patient load.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, I'd guess at least a year of floor experience to make you confident in your judgement and observations.

A traveler I knew had a few years of ER experience, but hated traveling because she was expected to know all the hospital specific order sets the first day (and was yelled at by an ER doc because she didn't).

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
That new show on MTV, all the nurses seem to be brand new and still Ayada(?) hired them.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Make sure you know how to not murder someone first and then travel

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Yeah the only time in my life when it would even be feasible to work as a travel nurse is right out of school (and maybe not even then). Not sure why our teachers told us we could get a job doing travel nursing right out of school if it wasn't the case though. I'm certainly not heartbroken to cross it off my possibilities list.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Yeah the only time in my life when it would even be feasible to work as a travel nurse is right out of school (and maybe not even then). Not sure why our teachers told us we could get a job doing travel nursing right out of school if it wasn't the case though. I'm certainly not heartbroken to cross it off my possibilities list.

Why would it only be feasible right after school?

It may be possible to get hired right out of school doing travel nursing, but I'd be worried about working for that company. You're asking for a problem doing that.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Cacafuego posted:

Why would it only be feasible right after school?

It may be possible to get hired right out of school doing travel nursing, but I'd be worried about working for that company. You're asking for a problem doing that.

It would only be feasible for those years because my husband would be theoretically completing his masters through an online program and not working. After he finishes his masters we would look for a more permanent place to live where both of us could have good, long-term jobs. But like I said it was only an idea and I'll basically take anything once I graduate. Our instructors have just been pushing travel nursing as a "do this when you graduate" thing for a while now so I was curious.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Is travel nursing just like, Nurse For Hire? Sphygslingin' around the hospitals in a city covering missed shifts for an agency or something? A South African girl doing the nursing course I'm doing in Australia already, she says, has a job working on a cruise liner, and I've no real reason to think she's grandstanding or lying or whathaveyou.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

It would only be feasible for those years because my husband would be theoretically completing his masters through an online program and not working. After he finishes his masters we would look for a more permanent place to live where both of us could have good, long-term jobs. But like I said it was only an idea and I'll basically take anything once I graduate. Our instructors have just been pushing travel nursing as a "do this when you graduate" thing for a while now so I was curious.

Your instructors are unsafe assholes and are probably shills. Your degree will be accredited right? Like, if a traveler showed up in my unit that I had to babysit, I would probs call my manager and have a fit.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just signed up to take the CCRN Exam. Only $330 to sit for the exam, or $225 if you're a member of AACN. And of course, my hospital does not reimburse or provide any resources for the exam. Oh well, a means to an end. Now, its time to buckle down and start doing practice questions until my ears bleed. NCLEX style.

Roki B, you still working out of Nevada?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 11, 2014

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Hughmoris posted:

Just signed up to take the CCRN Exam. Only $330 to sit for the exam, or $225 if you're a member of AACN. And of course, my hospital does not reimburse or provide any resources for the exam. Oh well, a means to an end. Now, its time to buckle down and start doing practice questions until my ears bleed. NCLEX style.

Roki B, you still working out of Nevada?

Yeaup, Las Vegas. It lost its charm a while ago.

I'm starting to haphazardly study for the CCRN exam. Ugh, I have no real structure about it and its been a few years since school so my motivation is nil.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
My wife's unit has a culture problem where they have terrible alarm fatigue. Her patient went vtach stable with a pulse uncomplicated. So sure, technically algorithm is "seek expert consultation / get an amio drip from them" but not a single person went in to the room to help her, and she's a little green with only seven months ICU after two years floor. Her charge called over from the other side of the unit to tell her "make sure you call someone about that".

Neat.

She once watched a nurse let a patient get sats in the sixties with good waveform. She kept telling the primary nurse that her patient was alarming low oxygen and the primary brushed her off until the patient coded.

Super neat.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Just got accepted to Nursing School! I start in July, I am so excited woot!

What should I start reading/learning before Basic Nursing 101?

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

White Chocolate posted:

It's never too early to learn pharm.

Edit: If you want to PM me your email address, I can send you an ebook that covers the major drug classifications and the prototype/popular meds from each group. It'll give you a good head start.

Epic Doctor Fetus fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 17, 2014

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

White Chocolate posted:

Go out with your friends/family. Take a vacation. If you are like me, you won't have much time in school and what time you do have you will be to tired to enjoy yourself.

Good luck! I start my master's coursework in two weeks.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I just finished up probably the worst weekend I've had since I started working in July. On Saturday night I had a patient go into a major sickle cell crisis (in the middle of a transfusion, thought it was a reaction) and then he had a full blown seizure. In addition to two total care post-ops and everybody wanting their pain meds as soon as they're available.

My everything hurts.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Are there any goons around here who are currently working as PAs? (or perhaps studying to be one)
I'm interested in possibly pursuing a career in the field and was hoping to find somebody to chat with about experiences, etc. Figured this would be the best place to ask...

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

SimianNinja posted:

Are there any goons around here who are currently working as PAs? (or perhaps studying to be one)
I'm interested in possibly pursuing a career in the field and was hoping to find somebody to chat with about experiences, etc. Figured this would be the best place to ask...

I bet you might have more luck starting a thread in the TGD forum and seeing if we can get some folk to come out of the woodwork. You'll probably find more PAs lurking there than in the nursing thread. It's odd. We've got a ton of MDs, a bunch of nurses and yet I can't think of any medical posters that I know are PAs. They ought to have their own thread.

I'm an NP, not a PA, and while I couldn't answer many questions about the education and hurdles of going that path, I work in the exact same role as my PA colleagues and if you start a new thread I might be able to answer questions about what our jobs are like.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I need advice for gifts for a (soon to be) recent nursing school grad.

I'm playing the part of the supportive spouse (if only I'd known what I was signing up for). Everybody's been hounding me for suggestions, and they're all amusingly awful. Some things I already know are dumb and have had to reject:

• Yet another stethoscope
  • "Nurse Shoes" you found on the Internet
  • Expensive/Ornate watches with tons of places for poo/vomit to hide
  • A day at the spa (she is vehemently opposed to woo-woo mysticism, and that's all we've got in this small town, alas)
  • Electronic gadgets, fancy pens, and other things a nurse would never want to take into battle

All I've been able to come up with is a Starbucks gift card, and people don't want to gift her with that again for the 3rd year in a row. We have a kid in elementary school, and we're just about to move to a new house, so vacations are sort of out too.

Honestly, having gone through this with her, I think the best gift will be not having to go to or think about nursing school for a GLORIOUS FULL WEEK, but people are seriously jonesing to make purchases.

Any suggestions?

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 25, 2014

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Anyone have any brand/website recommendations for purchasing compression stockings? They're for me so preferably ones that offer colors other than white and tan. I'm too young for all these spider veins!

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

cruft posted:

I'm playing the part of the supportive spouse (if only I'd known what I was signing up for). Everybody's been hounding me for suggestions, and they're all amusingly awful. Some things I already know are dumb and have had to reject:

• A day at the spa (she is vehemently opposed to woo-woo mysticism, and that's all we've got in this small town, alas)
  • Electronic gadgets, fancy pens, and other things a nurse would never want to take into battle

All I've been able to come up with is a Starbucks gift card, and people don't want to gift her with that again for the 3rd year in a row. We have a kid in elementary school, and we're just about to move to a new house, so vacations are sort of out too.

Honestly, having gone through this with her, I think the best gift will be not having to go to or think about nursing school for a GLORIOUS FULL WEEK, but people are seriously jonesing to make purchases.

Any suggestions?

Unscented hand lotions, gift cards to scrub shops, badge clips, cup/water bottle, gum/hard candy, tote bag with pockets, funny nurse t-shirts to wear on days off, foot care products... :)

Koivunen posted:

Anyone have any brand/website recommendations for purchasing compression stockings? They're for me so preferably ones that offer colors other than white and tan. I'm too young for all these spider veins!

http://www.sockdreams.com/search/query:compression has some cute compression socks. They work well even on larger calves (I'm about a size 20) and are cute. A little pricy, but mine have lasted 8 months so far wearing once a week.

LoveMeDead fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 25, 2014

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
Oh god its happeeeennnninnnnng... :aaaaa:

Application for one school in, the other one in progress. Waiting for the first school to decide when they want to interview me.(:stonk:)

Kind of sucks they have no spots in the fall cohort, but I think that will work out. First off, its my fault for sitting around and not getting it in sooner. Second, it looks like my (soon to be) wife will be having our kid in November, and that would have made school super exciting.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

cruft posted:

Any suggestions?

Orgasms and booze.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Roki B posted:

Orgasms and booze.

Haha. Cool, I'll let my dad know!

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
I use a "organizing utility tote" from 31 gifts. Its nice because you can monogram it and its big enough for all my poo poo. Also, if there is a place for massages anywhere nearby. There is nothing more glorious than a massage after a 12 hour shift.
I second gift cards to scrub shops, coffee shops, breakfast joints etc.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Woof, currently working on Human Pathophysiology, doing it all online is pretty rough since there are no notes/lectures its just: read these chapters, take quizzes, write essays, final exam. Hopefully this material is reinforced later in school? Have applications in to one school and might apply to another program that would start next spring but I just need to take the HESI A2 exam (need to get a study book, but hopefully taking Patho right now should cover a lot of the material) and finish another pre-req or three after Patho and I should be starting in the fall. Pretty nervous/excited!

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
The HESI A2 exam is ridiculously simple. I used some app I found on the apple store with practice questions, and they were formatted exactly the same on the exam.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
You know what I love about not being a travel nurse anymore?

Paid time off.

PTO loving rules and I'm going to Cancun in May. And when I am in Cancun, I will be paid while at the swim up bar.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Roki B posted:

You know what I love about not being a travel nurse anymore?

Paid time off.

PTO loving rules and I'm going to Cancun in May. And when I am in Cancun, I will be paid while at the swim up bar.

Yep, PTO is a sweet sweet thing. Next month I'll be driving around the country on a roadtrip. Being paid all the while. :getin:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just called out sick for tonight's shift. Haven't missed a shift since July. :feelsgood:

On that note, holy poo poo do our nurses get guilt-tripped for missing a shift. I'm assuming its not just our hospital that does it. Its not our fault that management and administration doesn't hire more nurses to cover the daily fluctuations in patients and staffing. I shouldn't have to feel bad about using PTO that I've earned.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 30, 2014

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

Just called out sick for tonight's shift. Haven't missed a shift since July. :feelsgood:

On that note, holy poo poo do our nurses get guilt-tripped for missing a shift. I'm assuming its not just our hospital that does it. Its not our fault that management and administration doesn't hire more nurses to cover the daily fluctuations in patients and staffing. I shouldn't have to feel bad about using PTO that I've earned.

On the med-surg unit in my hospital if you don't find someone to cover your shift you can get written up. That may have changed, and I know if you have a doctor's note then it gets removed. But still, if you aren't sick enough to go to the doctor but are too sick to work you shouldn't be penalized. I wouldn't want my nurse taking care of me with a runny nose. And I don't want to have to fit in a doctor's visit because I had a fever for 6 hours the night before.

I'm pretty much screwed if I'm sick since it's just me and one other nurse on nights in the CCU.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

It's never too early to learn pharm.

Edit: If you want to PM me your email address, I can send you an ebook that covers the major drug classifications and the prototype/popular meds from each group. It'll give you a good head start.

F*** pharm.

Seriously.

Is that the Nursing made incredibly easy book?

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
Yes! I got the ICU job I wanted. Its the same hospital system but I don't start training til May; my current unit desperately needs me and cannot part with me til then. Since I haven't been here a full year I can't do anything about it. Luckily the ICU is totally fine with that.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Weebly posted:

Yes! I got the ICU job I wanted. Its the same hospital system but I don't start training til May; my current unit desperately needs me and cannot part with me til then. Since I haven't been here a full year I can't do anything about it. Luckily the ICU is totally fine with that.

Congrats. That's roughly what happened with me. I was accepted into the ICU within my hospital but my Med-Surg unit was allowed to hold on to me for a month before I could begin my new training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

Weebly posted:

Congrats! I love working CCU.