Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Anyone know about this guide/magazine thing for NES games? It was a red, spiral bound magazine size book thing, with some nonsense like "Secrets for over 20 games" on it. It was full of misinformation, doctored screenshots, and outright falsehoods. I remember for Metroid one of the hints was something like "practice landing on your feet when you jump." There was also a page for Castlevania 2 and it had lies just as outrageous as the townspeople in that game tell you. After playing about half of the games in there I understood that it was garbage, but that didn't stop me from treasuring the thing for some reason, and also I was 8 or 9 years old :downs:

Anyway if anyone has it (and/or the other volume, with a blue cover) I'd love to see some scans of some pages in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Does anyone here know anything about the Wonderswan? I have a Gundam Wonderswan Color that according to ebay might be worth something but I'm not really sure if there's a market for this stuff.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mister Chief posted:

Does anyone here know anything about the Wonderswan? I have a Gundam Wonderswan Color that according to ebay might be worth something but I'm not really sure if there's a market for this stuff.

Everything on Wonderswan is either cheap or really common. You can get a new system for around 20 bucks.

Don't trust ebay prices because imports tend to go much more than they're worth because you can usually get imports much cheaper on Rakuten or other sites.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

Everything on Wonderswan is either cheap or really common. You can get a new system for around 20 bucks.

Don't trust ebay prices because imports tend to go much more than they're worth because you can usually get imports much cheaper on Rakuten or other sites.

With the exception of Dicing Knight. Don't go chasing Dicing Knight.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
About nes controller chat....
I like the dogbone for most causual play, but if it requires me to rapidly tab buttons, I have to use the original nes controller. I learned this when Battle Kid Fortress of Peril came out. The spacing between the A and B buttons makes it more difficult for me to fire rapidly on the dogbone.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Silhouette posted:

The game plays as normal, EXCEPT that when paused, hitting Select will cause the score counter to increase by 100,000, up to seven times, before rolling over to the actual earned score. No matter what, when unpaused the score returns to normal.

In addition, if you possess a subweapon, hitting Select will revert you back to the default subweapon (Weapon 0), and repeatedly hitting Select will power the weapon up, as if you'd collected additional power-up items for it.

I'm not sure what I have on my hands here. Help me, i'm scared :(

The PCB with the paper label:

Whatever it is I bet it's worth big bucks. Maybe get it dumped like The Red Eye suggests.

Bing the Noize posted:

In other news, if you wanna see what chinese DDR for the Famicom is like, or maybe you want to hear Boom Boom Dollar out of a NES, maybe this will interest you
Hahaha holy poo poo.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Enjoy that Gravis stick while you can, those things break fast.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Xik posted:

Already have, in case you missed it:

If it does end up being the SNES, is there a simple (visual) guide somewhere out there to wiring up the csync?

It's pretty interesting to read up about the reason you all prefer owning the original hardware and carts. Some of it doesn't resonate with me because I have no nostalgia for it. The only retro console I own at the moment is one I never had as a kid.

The "collecting" part doesn't really do it for me either. I don't really like having lots of "stuff". I would even go so far as to say it irritates me having stuff I don't constantly use around me.

I can (strangely) totally understand the "motivation" aspect of it though. When I had all the roms sitting there on my PC, I very rarely played through a game from start to finish. I'd just flick through games all the time. With the hardware, I've managed to either get really far or finish plenty of games. That sort of seems backwards though doesn't it? With emulators you can (ab)use save states, but with the cart you actually have to tediously replay content over and over, and over... (SGnG :arghfist:).

Also, some of the old hardware is loving sexy.

I love how they looked like fun toys as opposed to boring shiny Multimedia Devices.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

I love how they looked like fun toys as opposed to boring shiny Multimedia Devices.

There was a very interesting interview over on Nintendo Life with a former NEC VP that sheds some light on this. The short version is that in Japan the consoles had to appeal to kids but in the US they had to appeal to parents who bought them for their kids. Here's a quote:

quote:

The TurboGrafx-16 struggled against Sega and Nintendo. What steps were taken to rectify this situation when the TurboDuo was launched?

After a period of time we realized that there was a major cultural difference between the US and Japan that impacted the financial nature of the business. In Japan children get money for gifts, typically at New Year's time. It’s their money and they can spend it however they want to. So if you have a very expensive games system, that’s OK - if the kids want it and they have enough money, then they’ll buy it.

In the US of course it’s a very different dynamic. Kids still get presents around Christmas time but the parents buy the presents. Parents are very hesitant to spend a big amount on video game systems, so we had a much tougher time selling the high priced technology to parents in the US than they did selling the same thing to children in Japan. As a result we had to lower the price of the product and that put a lot of margin pressure on it.

Source

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

flyboi posted:

Eeproms aren't 1:1 pinout this was something done by Nintendo

They are for many NES carts. They started using non-JEDEC pinout mask roms for the SNES.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

There was an argument about this back when I was first doing the SNES mini mods; whether or not csync needed to be wired up. It turns out it does, but not everybody needs it. I've modded minis where I did not wire up csync and they worked fine. It's very strange.

Very strange. Thanks for all your help Miyamotos! I'll wait for the PS2 RGB cable, test the mini and then think about if I want to modify the SNES. I'm pretty hesitant to do any mods to it, although something like this can be removed again in the future I guess.

McCracAttack posted:

The short version is that in Japan the consoles had to appeal to kids but in the US they had to appeal to parents who bought them for their kids.

And then in PAL regions they went back to the Japanese designs. I wonder what the reasoning for that was. Not that I'm complaining, I personally think they look better then the US designs.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I finally tried the NES Rainbow Islands and wow is it a bad port next to the Sega Master System version. The sound and graphics and physics are all just a bit worse.

What other games are better on the Sega Power Base?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

McCracAttack posted:

There was a very interesting interview over on Nintendo Life with a former NEC VP that sheds some light on this. The short version is that in Japan the consoles had to appeal to kids but in the US they had to appeal to parents who bought them for their kids. Here's a quote:

Source

Haha yeah that's a weird habit in Japan, I actually got 10.000 yen from my girlfriend's sister at new year's just because I'm younger than she is (I'm 28, she's 29) in a little special envelope. I wish I could've gotten that kind of money as a kid, though my parents were usually pretty good at deciphering wishlists for obscure SNES titles.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

This may be my new favorite Craigslist post while searching for retro related things.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Cheap Everdrive v1 knockoffs for Genesis and Super Nintendo if you don't care about features at all
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/927177

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I can't believe the market is big enough to warrant a counterfeit version of the Super Everdrive.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I can't believe the market is big enough to warrant a counterfeit version of the Super Everdrive.

I'm pretty sure it's just price that drives this. There's a lot of margin to be undercut here.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Microsoft have been in trouble ever since they baffled the world with their 'no retreat, no surrender' stance on Windows 8.

Really?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

All Sony need to do is spend from now until August / September working on a software PS3 emulator, then release it as a $50 DLC before all the university students get their loans in, and blow Microsoft out of the water.

Yeah all Sony needs to do is is something extremely hard especially considering the capability of the PS4. Now that's thinking!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Heran Bago posted:

Whatever it is I bet it's worth big bucks. Maybe get it dumped like The Red Eye suggests.

Nah, it just turned out to be a standard Zanac cart. Redeye's probably right, in that it was most likely sent in for repairs and labeled by the repairman.

I wish it was some super rare variant of the game, though. Gotta get that Stadium Events money :haw:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

RETRO gaming megathread.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

With the exception of my old N64 (which I have since replaced), I never sold off any of my old games. Unfortunately I lent a lot of games to friends growing up and over the years lost quite a few treasures that I had to reclaim. I think the last one left to repurchase is Tactics Ogre for PS1.

Of course, it probably all events out on a karmic scale, because I wound up with a childhood friend's copy of Earthbound. :shobon:

Install Windows posted:

Really?

Yeah all Sony needs to do is is something extremely hard especially considering the capability of the PS4. Now that's thinking!

There's three different threads for this poo poo, don't bring it into our little paradise.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I just got my 3ds xl yesterday so I'm curious. How do you guys think A Link Between Worlds and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3d compare to the SNES games? Personally I feel that LBW feels just like picking up LttP albeit with some slight differences in gameplay.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
LttP is like my 3rd favourite SNES game, but ALBW on the 3DS is better in practically every single way.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Xik posted:

LttP is like my 3rd favourite SNES game, but ALBW on the 3DS is better in practically every single way.

My favorite thing about it is that Lttp is so ingrained in my memory that I don't really look at the map much.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

juliuspringle posted:

My favorite thing about it is that Lttp is so ingrained in my memory that I don't really look at the map much.

Same. haven't played GTA3 or Vice City since before the XBox 360 launched and I could probably get around those virtual worlds no problem either.

Super Metroid on the other hand...I'll get lost in the latter stages of that game no problem, especially the underwater bits.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

I just got my 3ds xl yesterday so I'm curious. How do you guys think A Link Between Worlds and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3d compare to the SNES games? Personally I feel that LBW feels just like picking up LttP albeit with some slight differences in gameplay.

Donkey Kong Country Returns is an improvement over the original series. Of course, it's not difficult to be better than the first game. :v:

luigionlsd
Jan 9, 2006

i dont know what this is i think its some kind of nazi giraffe or nazi mountains or something i dont know

juliuspringle posted:

I had been waiting for something like DKCR for probably 15 years by the time it came out, and was ultimately disappointed. Everything about it is great on paper, but for some reason sitting down with a controller and playing the game (whether Wii or 3DS) just felt wrong. Sort of like the way you go from Sonic 1-3 to 4, expecting it to control or feel the same way. Tropical Freeze is a bit better, but still feels lacking. Going to binge-play DKC2 again tonight I guess

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I know there's a Before I Play thread, but since this is the Retro Games thread I figured this request would be better suited here:

Help me with Starflight on Genesis. I've lost my TV on snow planets, sold my fuel by accident, logged the sun as a habitable planet, been blown up by alien preacher squids, and gotten lost in the vastness of space.

It's a really cool game but I'm so lost.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

After a few months, this is what my Neo Geo collection looks like:

From top left to bottom right:
Shock Troopers 2
Windjammers
Samurai Shodown II
Soccer Brawl
Samurai Shodown IV
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
Puzzle Bobble
King of Fighters '99
Kizuna Encounter
Last Blade 2

All except Puzzle Bobble are legit. That one was me not paying attention but it works perfectly fine, so whatever.

Got the Omega from their site and the controllers from a retro gaming store. I definitely slowed down some since the expenses start to add up but it's not as expensive as I thought it would be. I've not looked for Garou, though. I think the most expensive game I want to pick up is Baseball Stars 2. Once I save up a bit I'm going to get shock cases and fold-ins for those games, so they look nice when I put them on my shelves. If Arcade Works ever does this Kickstarter again I'd most likely pledge since those MVS carts are ugly as sin and are in pretty rough shape.

All this poo poo because I watched this Giantbomb Neo Geo stream. THANKS JEFF.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Xik posted:

I'm inclined to agree and LttP is probably my 2nd favorite SNES game. A lot of people complain A Link Between Worlds has no "heart" but I'll argue that ALBW knows it's a game. It never wastes your time, it starts you off almost immediately, story elements are kept brief, you're just constantly on the move from point A to point B at your own pace, never the game's. It's relatively short (18 hours for a somewhat complete run) and on the easy side for Zelda vets (why don't they let Hero mode from the start like Wind Waker HD?) but it basically gets every element perfect. I was worried the dungeons wouldn't be interesting because you can buy all the items but this wasn't the case, they just made dungeons were the puzzles are based on environmental cues and dexterity. The final dungeon is also a final loving dungeon, it's really impressive.

And the music. The god drat music! Take note future Zelda games, this is how you recycle old songs and make them sound good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWgQz8XNV3M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhVpr7ZBHa8

I love the nods to Ocarina's Hyrule field towards the middle.

I suggest not listening to it by itself but the final boss uses Zelda's lullaby as motif and it got me so loving PUMPED.

It seems like Nintendo really knocks the ball out of the park with their 3DS music. Is it wrong that it embarrasses the music on their consoles so hard? Sticker Star isn't my favorite Paper Mario but it has the best soundtrack out of the entire Mario series bar none.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8NGKE-jRFs

Donkey Kong Country Returns was a game I didn't really enjoy on Wii because a lot of mechanics are different from the original (like the roll being reduced to practically useless, this has killed me soooooo many times). But the 3DS version removes the waggle and the game is totally playable and awesome.

As far as I'm concerned Nintendo as a console developer died in 2006. The Wii to me is like the reverse PSP; cheap and filled with niche titles or retro remakes but totally forgettable as a platform. The DS/3DS library is amazing and I think Nintendo has long realized that.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

al-azad posted:

I'm inclined to agree and LttP is probably my 2nd favorite SNES game. A lot of people complain A Link Between Worlds has no "heart" but I'll argue that ALBW knows it's a game. It never wastes your time, it starts you off almost immediately, story elements are kept brief, you're just constantly on the move from point A to point B at your own pace, never the game's. It's relatively short (18 hours for a somewhat complete run) and on the easy side for Zelda vets (why don't they let Hero mode from the start like Wind Waker HD?) but it basically gets every element perfect. I was worried the dungeons wouldn't be interesting because you can buy all the items but this wasn't the case, they just made dungeons were the puzzles are based on environmental cues and dexterity. The final dungeon is also a final loving dungeon, it's really impressive.

And the music. The god drat music! Take note future Zelda games, this is how you recycle old songs and make them sound good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWgQz8XNV3M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhVpr7ZBHa8

I love the nods to Ocarina's Hyrule field towards the middle.

I suggest not listening to it by itself but the final boss uses Zelda's lullaby as motif and it got me so loving PUMPED.

It seems like Nintendo really knocks the ball out of the park with their 3DS music. Is it wrong that it embarrasses the music on their consoles so hard? Sticker Star isn't my favorite Paper Mario but it has the best soundtrack out of the entire Mario series bar none.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8NGKE-jRFs

Donkey Kong Country Returns was a game I didn't really enjoy on Wii because a lot of mechanics are different from the original (like the roll being reduced to practically useless, this has killed me soooooo many times). But the 3DS version removes the waggle and the game is totally playable and awesome.

As far as I'm concerned Nintendo as a console developer died in 2006. The Wii to me is like the reverse PSP; cheap and filled with niche titles or retro remakes but totally forgettable as a platform. The DS/3DS library is amazing and I think Nintendo has long realized that.

I've been patiently waiting to find A Link Between Worlds for less than $20...
This post convinced me to stop waiting. Thanks.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Mister Chief posted:

Rakuten has one CIB for a little over 60 bucks.
I'm not sure how robust the market is overall, though.

I have a CIB Final Fantasy WSC with game, but the last I saw it was only worth around twenty bucks.
I should just join Retro Santa and pass off it on some poor sap who'd think they landed a goldmine.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I promised a report on Chiki Chi Boys. It's a fun little game. Don't really like how you have to grind money to get continues, but I guess it's a nice compromise between unlimited or a random fixed amount, that most arcade ports saw.

Also, the Renovation games keep coming.

Final Zone-isn't particularly great, but that's mostly because it's one of those games that is kind of trying to be a twin stick shooter without twin sticks. It's not as fast paced as something like smash tv, but it's still kind of clunky

Jennifer Capriati's Tennis-It's a fun little tennis game.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Jimbot posted:

After a few months, this is what my Neo Geo collection looks like:

All this poo poo because I watched this Giantbomb Neo Geo stream. THANKS JEFF.

Dang. Nice collection. So... do you live in the area? I'll trade you a legit Puzzle Bobble for that Windjammers/Real Bout Fatal Fury 2/Last Blade 2 :buddy:

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I should just join Retro Santa and pass off it on some poor sap who'd think they landed a goldmine.

We don't forget old posts :colbert:

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Donkey Kong Country Returns is an improvement over the original series. Of course, it's not difficult to be better than the first game. :v:

I completely disagree. I'm know I'm probably the odd man out, but I find DKCR to be an awful game. I loved the first three DKC games (well, first two anyway), and I still enjoy them today. Even DKC1, which a lot of people like to poo poo on all of a sudden. If there's really any fault to the DKC games, is that the platforming is a little bit sluggish and hit detection is off. Other than that, there's a great variety between levels, and of course the great soundtrack.

Now, DKCR? Well, honestly I hate the way it feels. Controls just don't feel right. Waggle to roll on the Wii was an insane design choice, and even using a softmodded wii to cheat in classic controller support still felt off. I even played it on the 3DS, and you're limited to two bad control schemes there too.

The default control scheme mostly makes sense: movement on the circle pad, jump on B, ground pound on Y, pick up objects with L/R. Except, the 3ds circle pad is terrible for 2d platformers. I can't tell you how many times I missed a jump and died, because instead of pressing right, the analog when slightly up and right, causing me to slow down before the jump. It's just awful in that sense. The alternate control scheme puts movement on the dpad, and it's mostly alright, but it moves roll to the shoulder buttons and grab objects/run to the Y button. I just want the controls to mimic the SNES games.

Platforming in DKCR is even more sluggish than the SNES games. There's always this weird sluggishness when moving Donkey Kong. Yea, I get it, he's heavy and isn't quick and nimble, but they could tone it down a touch. This sluggishness makes you rely on Diddy's jetpack to get over a lot of jumps, and then when you don't have Diddy anymore you're missing a lot of jumps you'd easily make before.

From level to level, DKCR doesn't show a lot of variety. In the first world alone, most levels share a common theme and are visually similar to each other, something that's not common in the other DKC games. The soundtrack is mediocre at best, and anything that sounds good (to me anyway) is a remix of an older song anyway. The difficulty curve is weird. First four worlds were easy, and rarely lost any lives. Any lives I lost were typically due to impatience or me trying to speed run a level. Around world 4, a lot of levels are built with platform hell design (fall and die). It becomes tedious. Other levels introduce other features like a boulder rolling and chasing you (requiring near perfection), or levels that crumble away from underneath your feet. The set pieces that accommodate these levels are cool and overall interesting, but each level feels like it's a gimmick to involve that new set piece.

And lastly, the boss fights. Oh god, the boss fights. They're just tedious, multi staged, and if you gently caress up, you start all over. They require knowledge and memorization of patterns, which I'm totally fine with, but each retry forces you slog your way through the slow scripted first stages of the boss battle. Just not fun.

So yea, I don't like DKCR at all. It just feels soulless compared to the Rare games. Yet, I'm still tempted to try Tropical Freeze for some odd reason.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Rakuten has one CIB for a little over 60 bucks.

Hey, sorry to bother you while you're on this thread, but have you checked out Twitch Plays Pokemon any?

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Hey, sorry to bother you while you're on this thread, but have you checked out Twitch Plays Pokemon any?

Yeah, I did.
It's a very strange thing, but amazingly, it seems to be progressing in fits and starts.
Democracy in action!
I feel sorry for the fifteen-or-so-years-ago-me who had to cram in text into those tiny GB windows.
...It's kinda more traumatic to watch, actually, reliving those early days when it was entirely about groping in the dark over strings composed of unlabeled variables.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Small little haul today.

I normally would pass on Battle Arena Toshinden, but this Japanese version sure knows how to sell it.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Retro Gaming Megathread: Playing at a rate of 90,000 polygons per second!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

fatpat268 posted:

From level to level, DKCR doesn't show a lot of variety. In the first world alone, most levels share a common theme and are visually similar to each other, something that's not common in the other DKC games. The soundtrack is mediocre at best, and anything that sounds good (to me anyway) is a remix of an older song anyway. The difficulty curve is weird. First four worlds were easy, and rarely lost any lives. Any lives I lost were typically due to impatience or me trying to speed run a level. Around world 4, a lot of levels are built with platform hell design (fall and die). It becomes tedious. Other levels introduce other features like a boulder rolling and chasing you (requiring near perfection), or levels that crumble away from underneath your feet. The set pieces that accommodate these levels are cool and overall interesting, but each level feels like it's a gimmick to involve that new set piece.

And lastly, the boss fights. Oh god, the boss fights. They're just tedious, multi staged, and if you gently caress up, you start all over. They require knowledge and memorization of patterns, which I'm totally fine with, but each retry forces you slog your way through the slow scripted first stages of the boss battle. Just not fun.

I honestly couldn't tell if you were talking about DKCR or DKC. When people say they like DKC but not DKC3 I throw my hands up in defeat because I just can't believe this is true. The difficulty curve is even weirder and I can get through the first world with 20 lives then world 2 starts throwing the real poo poo at you. If you want to talk about "platform hell design" there's no arguing against DKC. The mine cart levels, the floating platform levels, the floating platform levels with switches, the floating platform levels that are timed, the loving dark levels, the weird red-light-green-light levels, the slip and slide ice levels, it reaches a point where like half the levels have less ground than bottomless pits. And you want to talk about lack of level variety? DKC is basically jungle, cave, underwater, and weird industrial area and slight variations of each (ice jungle, or rainforest jungle instead of Congo jungle). And the boss fights? how does fighting the same three bosses repeated twice sound to you? On the opposite end of the spectrum at least there's no memorization required except against K. Rool because three hits each take these guys out. You can't even grind for lives because reloading a save gives you five lives so it's back to 1-1 to get more.

DKC wasn't a terrible game by any stretch of the imagination but the two sequels completely poo poo on it. It's like comparing SMB to SMB2 and 3, there's no contest. The only thing DKC did better than at least DKC3 is the soundtrack.

• Locked thread