Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Over in the SCG open, someone playing in their first feature match has forgotten important things like ticking Jace AOT up and drawing off his Bident. It's a competitive event and his opponent (Chris Vanmeter) is correctly enforcing rules, but I can completely see myself making these mistakes in his place. I would just want to crawl into a corner afterward.

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning up play besides just slowing down? Not "making optimal choices" but actually "not being stupid."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Korak posted:

If you're not watching and you're the type of person that slows down to watch car wrecks...

Who is this for? It's impossible to tell what's going on accurately at that resolution and they can't playcall all four at once.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Pod is just the worst

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Boxman posted:

Over in the SCG open, someone playing in their first feature match has forgotten important things like ticking Jace AOT up and drawing off his Bident. It's a competitive event and his opponent (Chris Vanmeter) is correctly enforcing rules, but I can completely see myself making these mistakes in his place. I would just want to crawl into a corner afterward.

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning up play besides just slowing down? Not "making optimal choices" but actually "not being stupid."

Pay attention, and whenever you play casually, ask your opponents to tell you when you miss stuff.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Korak posted:

Modern and Standard Jund is using it as a new tech. Ceddy has been showing off on his stream for the past week and Courser smooths out a lot of the awkward draws Jund was having. Courser honestly has no where but to go up in price as we near rotation or a new set that improves greens hole in the meta. Real deal for a 3 drop.

You better be right, just bought 3.

Music For Cats
May 30, 2011

Boxman posted:

Get into the habit of reading your cards if you're waiting for your opponent to do something. Also it's good to think about the board before you worry about what is in your opponent's hand.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Yea, just at the start of each turn look at all the permanents you have!

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Boxman posted:

Slowing down is the #1 thing. Know what your deck does vs other decks. Make a mental checklist and practice it until it's second nature. We're all human and will make mistakes. It seems the pros have learned to minimize those mistakes. Also one simple thing is putting things with loyalty or upkeep type counters next to your deck so you can have them in a spot to help with the mental checklist. Why is this guy playing a Bident and NOT itching to draw cards off it? I don't think Mono Blue goes into draw mode at pretty much any time during a tourny even against a UW player. It's just too much of an aggro or bust deck.

Boring
Nov 29, 2004

nuhhh
anyone watching this excruciating SCG open game? Chris Vanmeter paired with some guy playing massively slowly, having to read every card CVM plays, misplaying ever step and having to be tutored on many abilities.

Ends in a draw due to the guy playing so slowly. CVM looked super bummed.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Boring posted:

anyone watching this excruciating SCG open game? Chris Vanmeter paired with some guy playing massively slowly, having to read every card CVM plays, misplaying ever step and having to be tutored on many abilities.

Ends in a draw due to the guy playing so slowly. CVM looked super bummed.

Didn't see it, but that sounds awful. Maybe CVM should have called a judge instead of hand holding.

gorgeous west
Feb 17, 2007

Man in the Planet
If I have an Artisan of Forms that has been made into a copy of an Akroan Skyguard and I then target it with a heroic-triggering spell, will the +1/+1 counter that it gains due to the Skyguard's heroic ability stay on the Artisan if I choose another creature for it to copy?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ScarletBrother posted:

Didn't see it, but that sounds awful. Maybe CVM should have called a judge instead of hand holding.

Judge! My opponent is bad at the game and missing triggers like mad, please award me the win.

In the game of that I watched, I think there was one manners-reminding him about Thassa scry trigger, but there were also a couple "sorry, you upticked Jace after you pointed out the Bident trigger, no extra draws for you".

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

gorgeous west posted:

If I have an Artisan of Forms that has been made into a copy of an Akroan Skyguard and I then target it with a heroic-triggering spell, will the +1/+1 counter that it gains due to the Skyguard's heroic ability stay on the Artisan if I choose another creature for it to copy?

It does. If you want to be 100% sure, you can stack the abilities so that the Skyguard one will resolve first, and he will still be an Akroan Skyguard when the Artisan of Forms one resolves. But even if he changes forms first, it's still the same object.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Finish to the Pardee vs Dickmann match was really fun. Pod is so drat resilient, if he had kept that redcap alive we might have seen a draw.

Holy poo poo why are they doing a Bogles deck tech when everyone wants to see Blue Moon.

Korak fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 22, 2014

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Here's a link to the youtube stream of the pro tour since Twitch keeps stuttering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPazW4MI3Lg

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Korak posted:

Finish to the Pardee vs Dickmann match was really fun. Pod is so drat resilient, if he had kept that redcap alive we might have seen a draw.

In all my years playing the game no deck ever makes me groan with annoyance like Pod. I'd play against nothing but Caw Blade with some poo poo tier 2.0 goblins list for the next 5 years if it meant I never had to endure another Pod game again.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Stinky Pit posted:

In all my years playing the game no deck ever makes me groan with annoyance like Pod. I'd play against nothing but Caw Blade with some poo poo tier 2.0 goblins list for the next 5 years if it meant I never had to endure another Pod game again.

What specifically bugs you about it?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I've no idea. I've been on both sides of the table with Pod and the only consistent part of the experience was how uncomfortable and unhappy I was, regardless of the outcome of the match. I played with and against far more broken, degenerate, and unfair decks but something about Pod is just zero fun for me in a way no deck ever has been.

I don't think it needs to be banned or anything, I totally get its just a weird personal thing.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Boxman posted:

Practice, Practice, Practice. I'm willing to bet that guy just borrowed the deck and didn't play more than a few practice games with it. When picking up a new deck type, I'd recommend at least a dozen games before entering a competitive event, and more is always better, especially if you're a beginner. Switching to a new deck the day of the tournament without that significant practice time is never a good idea.

gorgeous west
Feb 17, 2007

Man in the Planet

Serperoth posted:

It does. If you want to be 100% sure, you can stack the abilities so that the Skyguard one will resolve first, and he will still be an Akroan Skyguard when the Artisan of Forms one resolves. But even if he changes forms first, it's still the same object.

Thanks :) for some reason I was having trouble finding an answer to that one.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Bleu Moon deck is the real deal. Absolutely smacking Sam Pardee's pod deck around, arguably the best pod player in modern at the moment.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ScarletBrother posted:

What specifically bugs you about it?

Generally it's the fact that Pod has about 12 paths to victory open to it at any time, and has to make a lot of decisions before it actually goes off. So a lot of "vs-Pod" matchups end up with you staring at them while they think for a good minute, then either they Chord of Calling for Melira and pod into Finks and go off, or say go, you shrug, untap and kill them with your next swing.

It's not so much that it isn't interactive, as it's intensely interactive, but only between the pod player and their deck.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Korak posted:

Bleu Moon deck is the real deal. Absolutely smacking Sam Pardee's pod deck around, arguably the best pod player in modern at the moment.

Is it a new brew, or is it something that benefits from DRS going? I see it uses Snapcasters but I'm not sure they would be put off by last season's Jund.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Kai Budde drops an f-bomb that the camera mics pick up, booth gets awkwardly silent.

Magic. :allears:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is it a new brew, or is it something that benefits from DRS going? I see it uses Snapcasters but I'm not sure they would be put off by last season's Jund.
It seems to be a newer brew. At first it seemed like a great meta game call but the more I've seen it on screen it has some serious go to it, at least until people run a shitload more basics. Could be one of those "gets hated out for a month, then comes roaring back next month" type decks?

Tien wins! Poor Sam but :lol:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Well that was absolutely brutal.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's definitely a new brew, but I think it does benefit from DRS leaving; less Jund means less Thoughtseizes to take your Blood Moons, and less mana dorks in the format has to be good for the deck.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 22, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Korak posted:

It seems to be a newer brew. At first it seemed like a great meta game call but the more I've seen it on screen it has some serious go to it, at least until people run a shitload more basics. Could be one of those "gets hated out for a month, then comes roaring back next month" type decks?

It's an excellent Meta call. I wouldn't play it at GP Richmond unless I had 2+ Byes, its taking advantage of a field at the PT that isn't going to exist at GP's and other events. There are plenty of Mono-color budget decks that are very popular and if you don't have the Byes to avoid them in the early rounds its going to make for a really frustrating GP.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Kai Budde's last turn...

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Bleu Moon deck tech finally!!! :supaburn:

vvv err nevermind! :)

Korak fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 22, 2014

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Blue Moon

10 Island
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Misty Rainforest
3 Steam Vents
1 Mountain

2 Threads of Disloyalty
2 Cryptic Command
4 Spellsnare
3 Remand
2 Mana Leak
4 Serum Visions
4 Lightning Bolt

2 Spreading Seas
4 Blood Moon
2 Vapor Snag
2 Vedalken Shackles
2 Batterskull
3 Snapcaster Mage
2 Master of Waves

Sideboard
2 Spreading Seas
1 Teferi Mage of Zhalfir
1 Negate
2 Vandalblast
3 Vendilion Clique
1 Flame Slash
3 Anger of the Gods
1 Counterflux
1 Combust

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Pat Cox went 7-3 with Zoo, Kibler bragging he won every Zoo mirror. Can't wait to see their decks.

Jared Boettcher got 9th place with Ad Nauseum + Life combo.

Korak fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 22, 2014

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Boxman posted:

I would just want to crawl into a corner afterward.

My first ever competitive event was an SCG Legacy Open playing Burn. My second opponent on the day was Sam Black, and I not once by twice forgot the suspend triggers on Rift Bolt and got a judge called on me. I wanted to just die. A strategy I learned there though was to put a coin or die on top of your library whenever you need to resolve an upkeep trigger until the triggers become second nature. It's not a "good" habit but it may help at first.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
For funny stuff when playing, I swung a thrill-kill assassin last night, hoping that my opponent would block with his Rakdos, Lord of Riots, so I could stop him swinging on me with it. He did, and then said

Him: you take 4 damage.
Me: I what?
Him: Rakdos has trample. You take 4 damage.
Me: that's...not how trample works.
Him: Yeah, he did two damage to your creature, and four to you.
Me: Trample only counts when you're attacking.
Him: judge!

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I played against a Bogbrew Witch/Bubbling Cauldron/Festering Newt combo deck last night, and scooped when I shouldn't have and feel really dumb about it.
I had Herald of Torment out, and on the turn that I thought should have been my last, lost 1 life and went to 3 during my upkeep and top decked a swamp.
I conceded knowing that one more activation of his combo would kill me, but I didn't read the cauldron closely enough, and the creature he had available to sac wasn't a newt, so I really had 2 more turns to draw my out, and the card I needed to turn the game around was second from the top. :doh:

I'm never conceding again.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

End of Life Guy posted:

I'm never conceding again.
THIS. Unless you think time will be a factor in your matches, be like Reid Duke.

Pro Tour Born of the Gods
T8:
McLaren (UWR Control)
Lee (Blue Moon)
Wilson (Melira Pod)
Seibold (Affinity)
Dickmann (RUG Twin)
Fennell (Storm)
Alkio (All-in Twin)
Rivera (UWR Twin)

T16:
Boettcher (Ad Nauseam)
Zatlkaj (Jund)
McClain (Melira Pod)
Vidugiris (Storm)
Zheng
Budde (Storm)
Turtenwald (Scapeshift)
Sochurek

It's been said time and time again... ban islands! I'm happy they're going to show every single match tomorrow. That's a change I've been pushing for a long time. It can be annoying for the players understandably but it makes for a much better experience for the audience watching. They got up to 20,000+ people watching today, a reasonable amount of those people are probably watching for a first time.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I'm especially interested to see Wilson's Pod and Alkio's Twin lists.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Korak posted:

Jared Boettcher got 9th place with Ad Nauseum + Life combo.

Man, I should be happy for the local player making it big. On the other hand: well, he's a dick.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

tzirean posted:

Man, I should be happy for the local player making it big. On the other hand: well, he's a dick.
Dish gurl dish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Korak posted:

It's been said time and time again... ban islands!

I'd love to see Modern without fetches and shocks myself.

Not gonna happen, I know. But I can dream.

• Locked thread