Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Genpei Turtle posted:

So basically Shin Megami Tensei If? :v:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you probably won't have to run in circles for several real time hours in order to progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you probably won't have to run in circles for several real time hours in order to progress.

I dunno, the original Etrian Odyssey had a quest like that. (Ok, it wasn't several hours, but it was "Run around in circles for ages.")

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

In other news, PQ will apparently have gameplay, of some sort. If you look closely, you'll see some... interesting things.

Who is the ominous crossbow guy and matching anime girl?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Golden Goat posted:

Who is the ominous crossbow guy and matching anime girl?

They're Zen and Rei (respectively,) Persona Q's contribution to the ever-expanding cast of this series. They're one collective party member, apparently.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I'm pretty excited to see a marriage of Etrian Odyssey and Persona. It's kinda like doing each of the Persona games in a classic SMT dungeon crawling style. I'm just wondering if the difference between playing the cast of 3 or 4 is going to be drastic enough for a second playthrough, and whether or not there will be enough customization involved to keep things interesting. EO has the benefit of recruitable classes and strategies to lend it customization and interesting combat interactions, the only real thing we could say is that Persona has multiple demons.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm super excited about Q and love the art style, but I just can't get past that Kanji sprite they're using. Is he a hunchback now? Is he constantly jumping down and toward the viewer? Everyone else is pretty good (I hope Koromaru gets a little threatening look back, he is firmly in happy silly puppy mode at the moment) but I hate that Kanji. I'm sure both will look fine when they have a full sprite sheet/animations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Kanji's always been slightly hunched during battle, it's nothing new. Just look at his sprites for Arena.

He doesn't really seem to have that problem out of it though, like in the photos during the game.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm super excited about Q and love the art style, but I just can't get past that Kanji sprite they're using. Is he a hunchback now? Is he constantly jumping down and toward the viewer? Everyone else is pretty good (I hope Koromaru gets a little threatening look back, he is firmly in happy silly puppy mode at the moment) but I hate that Kanji. I'm sure both will look fine when they have a full sprite sheet/animations.

That hunched over pose is just anime body language for "I am a delinquent." If you look at Shinji, he's doing something similar.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

There won't be any sprite sheets. All the in-game stuff is done with 3D models, even the dialogue scenes.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Even better. Having dynamic models should be even more fluid and emotive in the dialogue scenes. Between that, the art style, the fact that they are going Full Zany, and the (possibly remote wishful) possibility that everyone gets multiple Persona or even Wild Card decks (as evidenced by Chie summoning Chu Chulainn up there) this might be my favorite Persona game ever.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If Aigis/Nanako's VA having "Typos" on her resume last year just before the Persona Announcements wasn't enough to convince you they are working on a localization:

(Yukiko's VA)

https://www.facebook.com/329574967433/photos/a.438530632433.223311.329574967433/10151846486607434/ :nws:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Classy. But yeah I'd be shocked if any of these don't get localized with Persona being profitable in the past and all the "blue skies, everything's great" press releases. Also I hope Dance All Night does well because rythym game is the obvious prerequisite to the Persona kart racer of my heart.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 19, 2014

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

Classy. But yeah I'd be shocked if any of these don't get localized with Persona being profitable in the past and all the "blue skies, everything's great" press releases. Also I hope Dance All Night does well because rythym game is the obvious prerequisite to the Persona kart racer of my heart.

They'll just stick Mara into Sonic All Stars racing and call it a day.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TurnipFritter posted:

In other news, PQ will apparently have gameplay, of some sort. If you look closely, you'll see some... interesting things.

Here's those pages blown up courtesy of 4chan.

E: It looks to be a Persona Boost and not Chie summoning something else?
E2: Ken is definitely summoning Jack Frost there.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 19, 2014

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Dehry posted:

E2: Ken is definitely summoning Jack Frost there.

It does seem like Ken is the one summoning Jack Frost, but I think the text above that picture states that Wild Card is an ability only the two main characters possess. Of course, I might be wrong. Maybe someone can translate it more accurately.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Looking at the screenshot over Junpei's legs there, it seems like you will have two field teams to some extent. That's cool.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dehry posted:

If Aigis/Nanako's VA having "Typos" on her resume last year just before the Persona Announcements wasn't enough to convince you they are working on a localization:

(Yukiko's VA)

https://www.facebook.com/329574967433/photos/a.438530632433.223311.329574967433/10151846486607434/ :nws:

:laffo: Of course Yukiko's voice actress would curse like a sailor. :allears:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Really Pants posted:

:laffo: Of course Yukiko's voice actress would curse like a sailor. :allears:

I wouldn't expect anything less from Mexican Chie.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

PQ article summary:

quote:

• It’s true, the other Persona 3 and 4 party members can now use alternate Personas. They’re referred to in the magazine as “Sub-Personas;” whether that’s just a means of differentiating the other Personas from their main ones or there’s something more to it isn’t stated. Apparently in the story they gain this power somehow by way of the two protagonists meeting each other. Details are scarce beyond it having something to do with their Wild Card power allowing it to happen.
  • Boost meter is built up by exploiting enemy weaknesses. Characters who manage to enter a Boosted state can on their next turn use their skills for free and, if I’m reading it right, jump ahead in line in terms of attack priority. The terminology is a bit vague.
  • Follow-up attacks that are performed when another character has taken their turn and All-Out Attacks have a higher chance of triggering as more and more characters enter a Boosted state.
  • Party chatter between members can change depending on who’s fighting with you. It’s not clear if this is just for battles or if it can include conversations outside of fights, too.

Source

I am working under the assumption the sub-Personas will work like Grimoire stones do in EOU.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

New pQ trailers just came out on atlus's youtube channel. Not character-specific, and a bunch of cool glimpses at animated cutscenes.

e: for convenience
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXn3TLAw7Ek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v37yj3jq6SM

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 21, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

PQ article summary:

Source

I am working under the assumption the sub-Personas will work like Grimoire stones do in EOU.

Yeah, that was my initial idea too. The Grimiore Stone mechanic (hopefully less random) sounds like it could be shoehorned in without trouble and Boost is basically taken directly from EO.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There was another translation where the sub Personas add abilities that the main persona does not have, but I guess their image comes up instead of the character's main Persona when performing the attack.

E: Here's the Bobrossfreak translation of the trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkfCHp-mCfQ
Persona 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvO8WHAzUo4
Persona 4

I think he also did the alternate translation of the article

Dehry fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 21, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

New pQ trailers just came out on atlus's youtube channel. Not character-specific, and a bunch of cool glimpses at animated cutscenes.

e: for convenience
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXn3TLAw7Ek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v37yj3jq6SM
I get all of the P4 cast's poses (being JoJo references)....except what is Teddie's supposed to be?

Also, angry Margaret. :allears:

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

AradoBalanga posted:

I get all of the P4 cast's poses (being JoJo references)....except what is Teddie's supposed to be?

Hah! I didn't notice that. Maybe Teddie's doing (JoJo spoiler) Dio's Wryyy! pose?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just noticed, but where does Marie come into the picture? She's clearly not in the P4 JoJo shot, but Margaret is; along with Theo and Elizabeth in the P3 group shot. Is Marie going to come from a later point relative to real world time?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Superstring posted:

Hah! I didn't notice that. Maybe Teddie's doing (JoJo spoiler) Dio's Wryyy! pose?
I think Teddie's supposed to be one of the random zombies Dio made in Part 1?

Or more likely he's just doing something stupid and we're reading too deep into it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dehry posted:

I just noticed, but where does Marie come into the picture? She's clearly not in the P4 JoJo shot, but Margaret is; along with Theo and Elizabeth in the P3 group shot. Is Marie going to come from a later point relative to real world time?

I hope it's just a brief acknowledgment that she's sort of there and nothing else. I don't care how popular her VA is (she's pretty talented one, however), Marie's inclusion made P4G feel like a loving chore at times.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

I hope it's just a brief acknowledgment that she's sort of there and nothing else. I don't care how popular her VA is (she's pretty talented one, however), Marie's inclusion made P4G feel like a loving chore at times.
She's barely even featured. She's there for 10 S. Link ranks and a couple of random poems (which are basically tied into her S. Link), and then there's a bonus dungeon at the end about her. She's barely got more impact on the game than any other S. Link.

Anyway, since she's not a party member, I imagine she's got about as much importance as Theodore/Margaret - they appear in a few cutscenes and maybe serve a gameplay purpose (especially since we haven't sene Igor in any of the trailers).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I think Igor being omitted is because his Japanese VA died, right?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Policenaut posted:

That's what everyone's speculating. They've been reusing his in-game lines for every project since his death, and I suppose they couldn't get away with that here.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TurnipFritter posted:

That's what everyone's speculating. They've been reusing his in-game lines for every project since his death, and I suppose they couldn't get away with that here.

Yea, for stuff like Arena you can easily reuse generic lines, but no way can that work for a proper game, even a dungeon crawly thing. I imagine he won't be appearing any more out of respect, at least for the current batch of games coming out.

RIP you creepy big nosed freak, your days of abducting high schoolers and getting them to sign weird contracts are gone.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

On the bright side maybe this'll make Atlus bring Philemon back?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Policenaut posted:

On the bright side maybe this'll make Atlus bring Philemon back?

I have a feeling they'll just stick with one of his assistants taking over, but man would that be good.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I have a feeling they'll just stick with one of his assistants taking over, but man would that be good.

Persona 5, now featuring Elizabeth as the character running the Velvet Room.

I hope they actually do this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

King of Solomon posted:

Persona 5, now featuring Elizabeth as the character running the Velvet Room.

I hope they actually do this.

I too unironicallty want that, Elizabeth is the best.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Margaret and Elizabeth going all boring cop/vaguely psycho cop on the player for P5 would be the best thing.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Policenaut posted:

The strange thing is that the guy they brought in to be his replacement for some audio CDs also died about the same time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

projecthalaxy posted:

Margaret and Elizabeth going all boring cop/vaguely psycho cop on the player for P5 would be the best thing.

Only if the old Velvet Room crew are also back, like Nameless and the Demon Painter. Otherwise it's just great, not the best. :colbert:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I hope at least in Q they use the whole crossover thing as an excuse to pack in all the old Velvet Room crew as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Is the SMTIV EU release rumor true or should I go back to sulking and replaying older SMTs?