Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Promoted Pawn posted:

I'd love to see Modern without fetches and shocks myself.

Not gonna happen, I know. But I can dream.

I know you're not serious (are you?) but this would be terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Errata out all mana-producing abilities on nonbasics, errata all basics to have Landcycling 2. :getin:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Promoted Pawn posted:

I'd love to see Modern without fetches and shocks myself.

Not gonna happen, I know. But I can dream.

Go watch standard with mono color decks and two color decks with bad mana hacking away at each other. This is what you want modern to be like?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

jassi007 posted:

Go watch standard with mono color decks and two color decks with bad mana hacking away at each other. This is what you want modern to be like?

You're right. Just ban fetches.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

or just reprint fetches in every core set and never print non-basics with basic land types ever again.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I don't understand all the hate on modern mana bases...

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mortimer posted:

or just reprint fetches in every core set and never print non-basics with basic land types ever again.

One of those sounds awful and the other sounds like what's already happening.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Mortimer posted:

i agree, all shocklands as well as the shadowmoor utility lands should be added to the reserved list :twisted:

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Korak posted:

Dish gurl dish.

I've only played him once and he was a total jackass; he came into the store expecting to roll FNM, got paired against me round 1, made fun of everything about my deck (a Simic Delver build during Gatecrash), lost 2-0, dropped and told me I should be more embarrassed to be playing the deck than he was to lose to it.

He also got DQed from an SCG Classic last summer for bribery and briefly had a six-month suspension (which would have kept him out of the PT), but he appealed the suspension and won.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Err correction for tomorrow:

McLaren(WUr) v. Rivera(UWR Twin)
Seibold(Robots) v. Dickmann(TarmoTwin)
Lee(Blue Moon) v. Alkio(RU Twin or All-in Twin)
Wilson(MeliraPod) v. Fennell(Storm)

Storm made top eight... Ban Rituals! Also whats up with WotC employees calling Affinity by the lesser used name of Robots?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Korak posted:

Also whats up with WotC employees calling Affinity by the lesser used name of Robots?

There is no actual card in the modern deck with the affinity keyword. So calling it affinity is a bit silly.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Korak posted:

Err correction for tomorrow:

McLaren(WUr) v. Rivera(UWR Twin)
Seibold(Robots) v. Dickmann(TarmoTwin)
Lee(Blue Moon) v. Alkio(RU Twin or All-in Twin)
Wilson(MeliraPod) v. Fennell(Storm)

Storm made top eight... Ban Rituals! Also whats up with WotC employees calling Affinity by the lesser used name of Robots?

It's something they tried to make stick in their coverage style guide, presumably because the word 'affinity' has a negative connotation (and they make the argument that the modern Affinity deck doesn't always run any Affinity cards, as if Frogmite and Myr Enforcer were the linchpins of that deck). Modern Affinity usually does run Thoughtcast, though.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MrBling posted:

There is no actual card in the modern deck with the affinity keyword. So calling it affinity is a bit silly.

They don't even run Thoughtcast? I thought it was kind of essential, from what I know Affinity doesn't have almost any draw mechanism.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ScarletBrother posted:

I don't understand all the hate on modern mana bases...

They are expensive. That's a lot of people's dislike. Fetches also feed goyfs, were feeding drs, and other strategies that a good subset of people dislike. Some people also just like 1 and 2 color decks and want to play in an environment that rewards that instead of the greedier mana bases modern allows.

I personally and fine with them, but a reprint is necessary to keep the format growing and healthy.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Expense aside (and that the cost must be significantly reduced is something that nobody aside from a few nutcases disagrees with on principle), I don't have much problem with greedy mana bases being a possibility that's out there to reach for if you want, but I also dislike there being no tension whatsoever about doing so. I feel like Modern as it is has swung a little bit too far towards the greedy land base always being the preferable option unless you're on a budget, so I'm happy to see Blood Moon being a thing.

:lol: at whoever said two-color Standard mana bases are terrible, though.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

MrBling posted:

Thoughtcast.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

jassi007 posted:

Yeah, because there totally arent any ways to fix your mana in Modern aside from fetches and shocks... Not that I think banning both would be a good idea, but come on. There are fastlands, painlands, filterlands, checklands, trilands, vivids + reflecting pool, bouncelands, 5 color lands like city of brass, gemstone mine etc, the future sight cycle, and more. If people can't build 3-5 color decks with those, that's probably their own issue.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
The thing is, all those lands have drawbacks that really do, in greater or smaller measure, affect the variance of your deck. Granted, the biggest thing is that lands coming in tapped is basically death for a lot of archetypes, and that's the easiest and most common drawback to mana-fixers. While you do occasionally see these other options, fetches and shocks are really the simplest and easiest way to go.

Now, why Amulet decks don't make use of tri-lands is anyone's guess, but yeah.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Veyrall posted:

The thing is, all those lands have drawbacks that really do, in greater or smaller measure, affect the variance of your deck. Granted, the biggest thing is that lands coming in tapped is basically death for a lot of archetypes, and that's the easiest and most common drawback to mana-fixers. While you do occasionally see these other options, fetches and shocks are really the simplest and easiest way to go.

Because it's really a combo deck, and whilst the tri-lands interact favourably with Amulet, they don't let you go Amulet into T2 Summer Bloom, drop and bounce Karoo for 6 mana, play Prime Time. (Turn 1 if you have a Simian Spirit Guide)

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I totally agree that fetch land prices are crazy and that they need a reprint, but a format without them would just have more variance and be less exciting.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I just started playing around with forge, got my deck added and played a few games vs. AI.

Somehow I managed to disable all of my UI elements in the layout and have no idea how to get them back. Is there someone who is familiar with Forge that can help me figure out what I futzed up?

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

frameset posted:

Thoughtcast.

That's all well and good, but that's not a reason to have an inaccurate name.

"Do you remember that deck with the Stoneforges and Squadron Hawks? It was really good!"

"Oh, you mean Man-Lands?"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"Remember that deck with Past in Flames and Empty the Warrens?"

"Oh, you mean Ad Nauseam Tendrils?"

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Nemico posted:

That's all well and good, but that's not a reason to have an inaccurate name.

"Do you remember that deck with the Stoneforges and Squadron Hawks? It was really good!"

"Oh, you mean Man-Lands?"

Yeah I know and why don't Standard Naya decks have any cards from Alara block in them

Sometimes names are retained through multiple iterations of a deck, or arise by analogy to past decks.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

That's a bit of a poor comparison for a few reasons, but the affinity-name thing is an odd sticking point that a few people have (not necessarily here)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The difference here is that Robots is an awesome name. Like what's cooler:

"I have an affinity for things!"

"I have loving robots that will murder you!"

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

MMD3 posted:

I just started playing around with forge, got my deck added and played a few games vs. AI.

Somehow I managed to disable all of my UI elements in the layout and have no idea how to get them back. Is there someone who is familiar with Forge that can help me figure out what I futzed up?

Yeah that happened to me. Preferences > Reset Match layout

Also Cephalid Breakfast doesn't run Cephalid anymore if you want examples of inaccurate deck names.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
people still call GB Rock. No Rock, no & His Millions.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mortimer posted:

Yeah that happened to me. Preferences > Reset Match layout

Also Cephalid Breakfast doesn't run Cephalid anymore if you want examples of inaccurate deck names.

That's why it's called Breakfast Burrito now. Plus it's just a better name.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The difference here is that Robots is an awesome name. Like what's cooler:

"I have an affinity for things!"

"I have loving robots that will murder you!"

Even though that may be true, I'd rather use the name Androids instead of Robots for an Affinity deck.

EDIT: Even Cyborgs would work if you use Master of Etherium instead of Etched Champion.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Let's compromise and call it Modular since that's an artifact ability that's still in the deck.

Or, The Mod Squad.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Molybdenum posted:

people still call GB Rock. No Rock, no & His Millions.

Of all of the Ten Ravnica guilds, I fondly remember Rock the most.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

JerryLee posted:

Let's compromise and call it Modular since that's an artifact ability that's still in the deck.

Or, The Mod Squad.

Let's go back in time and get the original Affinity deck renamed 'Why the gently caress did Wizards print Skullclamp, artifact lands, Cranial Plating, or Arcbound Ravager. What is wrong with you idiots no I am NOT ranting I named the deck this specifically for this deck tech yes including that last part and also this one'

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
It's come up before, but Modern Affinity evolved from Mirrodin-block (pre-bannings) Affinity and retained the name. Plus the "affinity-count", whilst not used as a keyword, is relevant to Cranial Plating.

Edit: But Robots, Droids and Metalcraft are all fine.

Or we could try borrowing a team name from Transformers. Terracons or Predacons or something.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 23, 2014

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
If a creature comes in to play can another creature that player owns cause that just played creature to tap.

If I play a wizard can I immediately tap it using Azami, Lady of Scrolls?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

OssiansFolly posted:

If a creature comes in to play can another creature that player owns cause that just played creature to tap.

Yeah, summoning sickness only affects activated abilities with the tap symbol on that card itself, it doesn't make them untappable. That's how the elf combo engine works - Heritage Druid lets you tap elves for mana the turn they come down.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I've never seen an Elvish Mystic slam for so much damage before.

I don't even think I've dropped enough instants/sorceries for primeval bounty to do that. :stare:

Edit: No Kioras today. Good.

Let them fall. I'll show you all :getin:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 23, 2014

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

OssiansFolly posted:

Because the cost on her ability uses the word "tap", then it doesn't care if the thing you are tapping is summoning sick. Costs that use the tap symbol do care. Note that this allows you to tap her to herself to draw a card the turn she comes down.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Veyrall posted:

Because you can't cast a T1 amulet off them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Chris Van Meter goes 9-0 after a 0-1-1 start to probably make top 8 at the SCG St Louis Open. Not bad.

• Locked thread