Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Zvim posted:

I think Path of Exile had a really good 'ethical micro-transaction' crowd-funding policy and that game raised millions through their various supporter packs, cosmetic items and vanity pets. I wasn't super hot on selling 'bank' space but that was the only iffy micro-transaction.

Even then, the stash space upgrades weren't pay-to-win since you could have multiple accounts for free, and trade items between them easily for effectively unlimited storage room.
Pay-for-convenience I guess, but for a very modest definition of convenience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy gently caress this game turned sad fast. Brad had to know they were making a J-Boot store while he was posting that poo poo about subscription models here, right?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rand alPaul posted:

Holy gently caress this game turned sad fast. Brad had to know they were making a J-Boot store while he was posting that poo poo about subscription models here, right?

If only he had told us about the 15 dollar a month forum first, one of us might have signed up and told him that releasing a cash shop for a game no where near launch is a bad idea(one of many bad ideas).

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010
A monthly subscription for a forum. Has something like that ever happened before? I really wanted this game to get made, but it looks more and more likely that all this money is just going up Brad's nose.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Swingline posted:

Remember me?

Tell us how the monthly fee forums will end pls..

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
So I wonder how many Kickstarters see *negative* numbers on the next-to-last day...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sounds like Brad could have used this, wonder if he helped fund: http://kotaku.com/welp-1526977385

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

xZAOx posted:

So I wonder how many Kickstarters see *negative* numbers on the next-to-last day...

It still hasn't beaten its previous high (its funding was $427,519 on the 18th, $421,836 on the 19th, $423,949 on the 20th and currently sits at $424,009).

So much for the end-of-kickstarter bump.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Because instead of waiting for the kickstarter to finish before ramping up their pay to post website, they are now using kickstarter as nothing more than advertisement for their new web site. They abandoned kickstarter like a few weeks back when they finally came to the realization that its not gonna hapen.

So now people are pulling their pledges (I dont know why since its not going to fund anyway. Iss a moot point right now) and pledging on the web site, or just altogether pulling out from the kickstarter because brad and team pulled out.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish

Bemis posted:

A monthly subscription for a forum. Has something like that ever happened before?

Yeah in those forums you have to join if you want to buy human organs or ex-ussr sex slaves.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Frog 1.0 posted:

Yeah in those forums you have to join if you want to buy human organs or ex-ussr sex slaves.

See, Brad? There are plenty of funding opportunities.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Cease to Hope posted:

See, Brad? There are plenty of funding opportunities.

I Wonder if brad has a fallback job to goto once this hillariously fails.
Ya know, like a gig tending bar or flipping burgers somewhere...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Peechka posted:

Because instead of waiting for the kickstarter to finish before ramping up their pay to post website, they are now using kickstarter as nothing more than advertisement for their new web site. They abandoned kickstarter like a few weeks back when they finally came to the realization that its not gonna hapen.

So now people are pulling their pledges (I dont know why since its not going to fund anyway. Iss a moot point right now) and pledging on the web site, or just altogether pulling out from the kickstarter because brad and team pulled out.

I'm guessing anyone dumb enough to pledge directly to the pantheon website can kiss their money goodbye, unlike kickstarter right? I mean at least you don't have to pay kickstarter until the funding is successful.

Matthaeus
Aug 1, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm guessing anyone dumb enough to pledge directly to the pantheon website can kiss their money goodbye, unlike kickstarter right? I mean at least you don't have to pay kickstarter until the funding is successful.

I imagine so unless the website specifically allows for refunds. It's almost as enticing as Interplay's Black Isle Studios crowdfunding campaign a while back.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Pantheon more like PantsOn because I'm going outside now

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Kewpuh posted:

Pantheon more like PantsOn because I'm going outside now

:thurman:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

You guys are a bunch of haters. I'm keeping the hope alive by wearing the cross-promo Pantheon cape in the Shroud of the Avatar Alpha.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Kickstarter didn't make it. If you want to repledge directly to the team, go to https://www.pantheonrotf.com.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Droid Washington posted:

The Kickstarter didn't make it. If you want to repledge directly to the team, go to https://www.pantheonrotf.com.

Yeaaah, can't wait to repledge. Thanks for the info, my bro.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
I think I'm gonna pledge my support for this new game kickstarter, Monotheon: Fall of the Risen. Its producer, Quade McBride, says it's gonna be the true successor to EverQuest.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Droid Washington posted:

:lol:

You might as well set your money on fire because the end result will be the same.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:lol:

You might as well set your money on fire because the end result will be the same.

That's not true, no one gets high when I burn money.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Meow Tse-tung posted:

That's not true, no one gets high when I burn money.

But you could light something with it.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Prism posted:

But you could light something with it.

Better use of your time and money than Bradtheon.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
We link to the site, discuss the site, discuss why it is bad, and sure enough someone comes in and goes hey by the way, have you seen this site.

EDIT: Oh good, the site is just like sites from 1999 with FRAMES.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 23, 2014

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
This is the greatest day in the history of our sport.

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?

quote:

"Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is an upcoming subscription-based MMORPG from the legendary creative mind of Brad McQuaid."

~Brad McQuaid

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

He's a legend in his own mind!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
They needed to come together as a team and remove brad from the front of this project, but they didn't. He could of been "one of the guys" instead of "the main guy."

Maybe they tried that but failed.

There is a thread on their forum about the negative responses brad is getting about being brad.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
Man I have to admit I knew next to nothing about Brad when I first read this thread (back when there were only a few replies) but I knew this was going to fail spectacularry the moment I watched their kicckstarter video. Brad's face is so loving :smug: throughout the whole video and it's filled with marketing jargon with no substance that there was no other possible outcome. Never trust a drug addict with a superiority complex with your money.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The only thing that surprised me is that this went pear shaped quicker than I thought possible. I though for sure they wouldn't do anything retarded until the kickstarter was over but here you are.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Found this thread late. Decided to work my way through its entirety for nostalgia of my EQ1 days, the amusing Brad bashing, maybe a modicum of interest in Pantheon, and the train wreck potential. There were some interesting, good opinions about MMOs and many more bad opinions about MMOs (many of which yay/nay WoW).

However, tonight I watched the train depart the rails and it was good. For anyone tuning in post-KS fail, I think this is the ideal point where the train regained control (from :spergin:)... before plummeting off the unfinished bridge that is Pantheon. The survivors, upon landing at the bottom, were greeted by none other than Brad McQuaid and crew; :smugspike:ly asking them for money to complete the bridge... and to give input on how to build the bridge (maybe someday you'll even be able to pay to help engineer it, since no one in his crew knows how)... and, of course, for high-speed hiking boots to expedite your hospital journey because it'd be a shame if you died of your internal bleeding.

Third World Reggin posted:

They needed to come together as a team and remove brad from the front of this project, but they didn't. He could of been "one of the guys" instead of "the main guy."
So much for being a bunch of "idea" guys if they couldn't think this one up. They are, however, pioneers in the art alienating a fanbase so maybe they do have lovely ideas after all.

G Prestige posted:

quote:

"Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is an upcoming subscription-based MMORPG from the legendary creative mind of Brad McQuaid."

~Brad McQuaid
:cool::respek::v:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

bUm posted:

and to give input on how to build the bridge (maybe someday you'll even be able to pay to help engineer it, since no one in his crew knows how)... and, of course, for high-speed hiking boots to expedite your hospital journey because it'd be a shame if you died of your internal bleeding.

Uh excuse me you are forgetting the foundation of this project.

"Remember the past"

Remember Everquest! I mean do you not remember Everquest?! Everquest!

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

iminers posted:

I Wonder if brad has a fallback job to goto once this hillariously fails.
Ya know, like a gig tending bar or flipping burgers somewhere...

"Hey Smeds, it's Brad. Yeeeeeeah, the Pantheon thing didn't work out after all. Everquest Next? Sure, I got this great vision™ that I think will work great. It will be the next big thing I'm sure."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

randombattle posted:

Uh excuse me you are forgetting the foundation of this project.

"Remember the past"

Remember Everquest! I mean do you not remember Everquest?! Everquest!

Well I sure as gently caress hope he doesn't mean remember Vanguard and how I failed to make this exact same game I was promising only with a budget in the tens of millions.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Byolante posted:

The only thing that surprised me is that this went pear shaped quicker than I thought possible. I though for sure they wouldn't do anything retarded until the kickstarter was over but here you are.

Yeah I was expecting a pretty terrible Alpha full of npcs with ? and ! above their head. This is just too funny, now.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Droid Washington posted:

I wonder if the word "pledge" is actually a pledge in kickstarter terms, where you get your money back if things don't work out. Or if this isn't a pledge and more of an investment or payment. I'm thinking the latter.

Matthaeus
Aug 1, 2013

Node posted:

I wonder if the word "pledge" is actually a pledge in kickstarter terms, where you get your money back if things don't work out. Or if this isn't a pledge and more of an investment or payment. I'm thinking the latter.

The language on the website seems to imply the latter. You are buying a pledge level from the store rather than actually pledging money to be collected at a later date like on Kickstarter.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Node posted:

Payment. The money goes into their pocket right away.

From the last email from the project before the "Unfortunately, Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen by Visionary Realms, Inc. was not successfully funded" email from Kickstarter:

Project Update #54: Post-Kickstarter Site Launch posted:

The benefit of a live pledging system such as the one on the PantheonRotF.com site is that the funds received can immediately go into development, with no delay. Your pledges or subscriptions will be directly responsible for the progress on the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Node posted:

You don't get your money back if a kickstarter get funded but does not work out. The moment the kickstarter gets funded your an investor in a potentially high-risk enterprise, without any real legal recourse, with the vague promise of getting your pledge reward.

Anyways p:rotf is now on the Indiegogo "fund my life, I'm totally not using your money to immediately buy drugs" model.

• Locked thread