Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

A Tin Of Beans posted:

:psyduck:

I'm so glad I've avoided most of the post-ROTJ EU since my initial few books, holy poo poo. Why can't everything just be Shadows of Mindor, forever?

The thing is that it's a mind control gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Jazerus posted:

The thing is that it's a mind control gun.

What.

Just ... what. Am I going to have to read this? I'm going to have to read this. All these loving Star Wars, man.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Gun of Command.

Wookieepedia sez:

quote:

Once affected, the victim would follow any simple command given, even blatantly suicidal ones. In fact, the Gun of Command was used as a form of execution, where the condemned male (no females were executed on Hapes under any circumstances) would be shot with the weapon, then handed a blaster and ordered to take his own life.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Just wait until Ensign_Ricky updates his blog with his Lets Read of Courtship.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

You know what, then on that slightly baffling note, I'm gonna go ahead and ask: are there any good Leia-centric books, preferably not revolving around her crying when her kids get kidnapped?

Barring that, good female leads in general? (Knight Errant was decent on this front and I plan on picking up the related comics. I read Dawn of the Jedi, too, which was pretty neat as a glimpse at ancient history in the EU though the "light and dark must be in balance!" thing contradicts, like, every official thing George has said about the Force ever.)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Star Wars Adventure Journal from the 90s had a lot of stories with good female leads, particularly the story series with Alex Winger and Platt OKeefe. A lot of those used to be available on the Hyperspace section of the Star Wars website, but that was taken down a few years ago.

I'm also a big fan of the Legacy Vol. 2 series with Ania Solo. The first two or three issues weren't hugely compelling but it really picked up for me after that, and I'm enjoying it a lot now. It also has the benefit of not really connecting largely with the EU (minus of course the setting being taken from the first Legacy comic) so it kind of reminds me of a modern equivalent of Brain Daley's Han Solo Trilogy. Just a Solo going around on adventures with a misfit crew on a smuggler ship without a huge number of tie-ins to the wider universe.

A lot of people seem to like the recent novel Razor's Edge as a good Leia novel, but I thought it was a bit dull, though not terrible.

Interestingly some source I recall reading recently (maybe the Essential Reader's Guide?) stated that The New Rebellion (which ends with Leia killing the main villain with no reservations) was supposed to set up a future plotline where Leia became a Dark Jedi, but no one carried on with that idea.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Tatooine Ghost was sort of okay, despite being written by Denning.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Siivola posted:

It made Dark Journey look really good in comparison. A lot of it felt a bit rushed and kinda unpolished, but Cunningham's banter and wit made up for a lot. It also helps that the plot was essentially Jaina constantly one-upping herself at trolling the Vong. Still, I felt there was a lot of telling-not-showing going on, especially with the dark side bits. Her near fall and recovery didn't really feel all too satisfying as a result.

Someone awhile ago in one of these threads compared Jacen and Jaina's brush with the dark side. Jacen's experience involved poignant reflection, questioning the nature of the Force, gaining a deep understanding of the enemy, and becoming a badass while Jaina's involved flirting with boys and flying spaceships.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well, to be fair, Jaina's brush also involved spewing force lightning like it was going out of style, unspecified human experimentation with space Mengele and being best buds with the evil Queen Grandmother of Hapan. Cunningham just doesn't actually stop to emphasize any of this and instead focuses on her tsundere crush on Jag Fel.

Honestly, that tsundere crush is more interesting than anything Jacen's done thus far. I kinda hope the Vong beat some of the "but I dun wanna" out of him, because a hero who needs to be emotionally blackmailed to stop sitting on his hands and do something is both sad as hell and really boring to read about.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Siivola posted:

Well, to be fair, Jaina's brush also involved spewing force lightning like it was going out of style, unspecified human experimentation with space Mengele and being best buds with the evil Queen Grandmother of Hapan. Cunningham just doesn't actually stop to emphasize any of this and instead focuses on her tsundere crush on Jag Fel.

I remember liking one bit where she tries to use Force lightning on Kyp and he pretty much no-sells it because, y'know, he was possessed by a Sith Lord once.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Siivola posted:

Honestly, that tsundere crush is more interesting than anything Jacen's done thus far. I kinda hope the Vong beat some of the "but I dun wanna" out of him, because a hero who needs to be emotionally blackmailed to stop sitting on his hands and do something is both sad as hell and really boring to read about.

People sitting around not doing anything is a major theme of NJO.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just wait until Ensign_Ricky updates his blog with his Lets Read of Courtship.

I might just do that.

edit: It'd be a brand new one, mind you. I never did do Courtship in the old Let's Read thread.
edit2: And I want to get the entire Dark Empire saga moved over first, which is going to take awhile because I need to rescan in all the old images. drat you Waffle!:argh:

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 24, 2014

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I might just do that.

edit: It'd be a brand new one, mind you. I never did do Courtship in the old Let's Read thread.

Really? must have mixed you up with another goon who tackled Courtship.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

SeanBeansShako posted:

Really? must have mixed you up with another goon who tackled Courtship.

Yeah, RedEye Flight and ZeeToo tackled it. I did Death Troopers, Dark Empire, Darth Bane I, and most of New Rebellion before it finally broke my spirit.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Ok, now someone tell him about The Black Fleet Crisis.

In the copy of Black Fleet that I read, an entire 50-page sheaf of one book was replaced with a duplicate of another one in the same book.

The narrative makes so little sense anyway, it took me an hour to notice.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 24, 2014

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I feel sorta bad for aborting the sequel to the Lets' Read thread, as there was at least one person that still wanted to do updates.

Unfortunately, Triple Zero just wasn't bad enough for a full reaming after the first chapter. Sure there were nitpicky details and you can see Traviss' decent to madness, but the book itself wasn't that offensive.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I was the guy doing the bad alternate history read of Splinter of the Mind's Eye as if it actually turned out to be the novelization to the low-budget sequel of "The Star Wars" film that had become a late 70s scifi cult classic. Sorry about that, in theory it's kind of funny but I jumped in way too late as the whole thread was dying down.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Blame me I was the guy who couldn't work up the :effort: to read more mediocre Han Solo fan fiction.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I think most of the fun but dumb aspects of the book EU was done by the time of the 2nd thread. All that was left was the loving tedious and people can only make so many 'UGH SICK OF THESE STAR WARS' jokes on them before the comedy well ran dry.

We got some loving gold from that thread never the less.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I think most of the fun but dumb aspects of the book EU was done by the time of the 2nd thread. All that was left was the loving tedious and people can only make so many 'UGH SICK OF THESE STAR WARS' jokes on them before the comedy well ran dry.

We got some loving gold from that thread never the less.

I know, but it feels that there still a lot of gems left, and there were many readthroughs that were abandoned. :(

If a goon (either myself or someone else) ever takes another crack at it, I probably would finish up the Jedi vs Sith comic. There're still a lot of weird and funny moments, including the closest a Star Wars character actually gets to saying "I am so sick of these Star Wars"

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I still feel bad about doing only one update for mine and then stopping. I had some bad medical issues about a week after the first update (complications from surgery) and never got back to it. I kept telling myself I'd go back but stuff just dragged out and then it was just too late.

Sorry, I just know you all wanted to know what happens in The Old Republic: Revan.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Ceebees posted:

In the copy of Black Fleet that I read, an entire 50-page sheaf of one book was replaced with a duplicate of another one in the same book.

The narrative makes so little sense anyway, it took me an hour to notice.

My copy of one of the second Corellia trilogy book had the same thing going on, except it was 50 pages from the third book. I didn't notice for years.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Silver Brushes posted:

I was the guy doing the bad alternate history read of Splinter of the Mind's Eye as if it actually turned out to be the novelization to the low-budget sequel of "The Star Wars" film that had become a late 70s scifi cult classic. Sorry about that, in theory it's kind of funny but I jumped in way too late as the whole thread was dying down.

In two of the recent Star Wars Insiders, there was a two-part discussion between Lucas and Alan Dean Foster from 1976 where they brainstormed ideas for what would become Splinter of the Mind's Eye. There's some really odd stuff in there - Lucas was really interested in having Luke become a James Bond figure who would go around assassinating the Rebellion's enemies, and he really wanted Luke and Leia to have a passionate love affair only for Leia to get killed. Lucas also talks about wanting Leia to fall in love with Chewbacca.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Chairman Capone posted:

In two of the recent Star Wars Insiders, there was a two-part discussion between Lucas and Alan Dean Foster from 1976 where they brainstormed ideas for what would become Splinter of the Mind's Eye. There's some really odd stuff in there - Lucas was really interested in having Luke become a James Bond figure who would go around assassinating the Rebellion's enemies, and he really wanted Luke and Leia to have a passionate love affair only for Leia to get killed. Lucas also talks about wanting Leia to fall in love with Chewbacca.
Please tell me there's somewhere to legally read this for free.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Splinter is a weird beast, I've never heard those bits of it but the whole thing was written to be a low-budget sequel in case Star Wars flopped. Low-budget thinking leads to things like having an swampy foggy rural setting and not having Han involved to save on paying Harrison Ford. And then of course they clearly moved away from some weird ideas but those that survived are still pretty out there.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lucas also wanted to make Indiana Jones a pedophile

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SirPhoebos posted:

If a goon (either myself or someone else) ever takes another crack at it, I probably would finish up the Jedi vs Sith comic. There're still a lot of weird and funny moments, including the closest a Star Wars character actually gets to saying "I am so sick of these Star Wars"

You mean Lord of the Star Wars Rings?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Casimir Radon posted:

Lucas also wanted to make Indiana Jones a pedophile

:stare:
Can you elaborate?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

SirPhoebos posted:

:stare:
Can you elaborate?
According to the Raiders of the Lost Ark script, Marion is 25 and Indy is 37. They were in a relationship about 10 years before the start of the film. You do the math.

Edit: She even reminds Indy - "I was a child!"

Edit2: During the brainstorming session, Lucas pushed for the film to establish Marion as being 11 or 12 at the start of the affair because it would be "amusing."

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 25, 2014

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Pththya-lyi posted:

According to the Raiders of the Lost Ark script, Marion is 25 and Indy is 37. They were in a relationship about 10 years before the start of the film. You do the math.

Edit: She even reminds Indy - "I was a child!"

That's what it is in the final script, but Lucas originally wanted her to be 11-12 when they hooked up.

Halifax
May 22, 2006

Technology Equals Might Want to Loot Instead
Nap Ghost

Siivola posted:

I wish this book wasn't so long. I wish everyone in it wasn't so dumb. I wish it played Yakety Sax over this dumbass finale because it would be the perfect soundtrack. gently caress you, Star by Star.

Edit: There! Done! gently caress you, Star by Star!

I'm about 170 pages into Star by Star right now and I could not agree with any post more than this one. I almost threw the book across the room when I got to page 89 and realized that I had just finished the loving PROLOGUE.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

I know, but it feels that there still a lot of gems left, and there were many readthroughs that were abandoned. :(

I was actually considering starting Dark Lords of the Sith recently, but life is just to much in the way.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I just finished Traitor and... I, uh...

Huh.

(Ganner! :black101:)

Siivola fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 27, 2014

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

What the gently caress is wrong with all of you. Why does this thread exist .Why does this forum exist. Why havent you stupid assholes grown up and stopped posting about star wars novelizations and try reading an actual book sometimes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

erezaka posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with all of you. Why does this thread exist .Why does this forum exist. Why havent you stupid assholes grown up and stopped posting about star wars novelizations and try reading an actual book sometimes.

Quit getting mad about books.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

erezaka posted:

The troll is in.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Chairman Capone posted:

The troll is in.

He is just so sick of these Star Wars.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Siivola posted:

I kinda hope the Vong beat some of the "but I dun wanna" out of him, because a hero who needs to be emotionally blackmailed to stop sitting on his hands and do something is both sad as hell and really boring to read about.

Siivola posted:

I just finished Traitor and... I, uh...

Huh.

(Ganner! :black101:)

Better now?

Almost a shame that it's the high point. Enjoy watching the other authors not really know what to do with this as they amble towards a conclusion.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's amazing how awesomely Stover redeemed the completely worthless Ganner in only one book. Makes me wish he wrote the last NJO book and redeemed the whole series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

It's amazing how awesomely Stover redeemed the completely worthless Ganner in only one book. Makes me wish he wrote the last NJO book and redeemed the whole series.
Luceno did an alright job, probably as well as could be done.