Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I appreciate it when people tell my possibly future coworkers about the shows I watch. Yes thank you for associating me with that fandom of what I hate.

Well hope the interview goes well; gladly I have a 5 month more savings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I sent in a polite and reasonable request containing relevant information and my conclusion on the nature of the issue. I got back a condescending email that implied I should have checked a thing I don't have access to and know nothing about, and to which he would never give me access in a million years if asked. Fun times!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I appreciate it when people tell my possibly future coworkers about the shows I watch. Yes thank you for associating me with that fandom of what I hate.

Well hope the interview goes well; gladly I have a 5 month more savings.

You're a Trekkie, aren't you?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
MLP, pretty sure.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I agree with some parts of the devops conversation (I like continuous integration, we do it badly but as we're are not allowed to release code more than once a month we can't do it "properly" anyway), but my department is about to take up work from another who have been more or less left to do what they like for several years and while in fairness the platforms they've delivered are really good, holy gently caress have they taken this to an extreme.

Nothing is documented at all because the code "documents itself", that I could understand to an extent in application code, but there's not even a list of which servers are doing what because it's all in some config tool that they wrote themselves and it has never occurred to anyone that someone would have to come at the systems cold. A simple question of "which servers are the apps deployed to?" gets a 15 minute safari through four different build/deploy/config tools covering 3 different scripting languages.

Oh and they do all the support themselves on their own environment completely separately to the rest of the company so there is zero involvement of any actual Operations team in managing anything. Asking about incident management just gets "we don't have incidents" :smug:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

guppy posted:

I sent in a polite and reasonable request containing relevant information and my conclusion on the nature of the issue. I got back a condescending email that implied I should have checked a thing I don't have access to and know nothing about, and to which he would never give me access in a million years if asked. Fun times!

Answer with a sugary sweetness so overwhelming that his screen will drip honey. "Admit" that you didn't check, but state that you seem to lack access to check it, and require that access so you won't have to bother him again.

At the same time wonder loudly how it came to be that you don't have access in the first place since it's so obvious that you should have.

In short: Kill him with kindness.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I agree with some parts of the devops conversation (I like continuous integration, we do it badly but as we're are not allowed to release code more than once a month we can't do it "properly" anyway), but my department is about to take up work from another who have been more or less left to do what they like for several years and while in fairness the platforms they've delivered are really good, holy gently caress have they taken this to an extreme.

Nothing is documented at all because the code "documents itself", that I could understand to an extent in application code, but there's not even a list of which servers are doing what because it's all in some config tool that they wrote themselves and it has never occurred to anyone that someone would have to come at the systems cold. A simple question of "which servers are the apps deployed to?" gets a 15 minute safari through four different build/deploy/config tools covering 3 different scripting languages.

Oh and they do all the support themselves on their own environment completely separately to the rest of the company so there is zero involvement of any actual Operations team in managing anything. Asking about incident management just gets "we don't have incidents" :smug:

This is the part where using standardized tools matters. This is the term being subverted and watered down. That's not devops. It's just a lot of automation

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

More poo poo. I'll just paste this in here:

(9:54:38 AM) Jedi425: Q: When is the worst time to disconnect someone from their paid internet service?
(9:55:00 AM) Jedi425: A: When they're LITERALLY IN THE MIDDLE OF CHATTING WITH YOUR BILLING DEPARTMENT ABOUT HOW YOU'RE OVERCHARGING THEM.
(9:55:06 AM) Jedi425: (gently caress TWC)

Fun additional fact; I was in the middle of working from home when they disconnected me with no warning or fanfare. If I could sign up for Internet service with Satan, I probably would before I gave TWC another dime. gently caress TWC.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm building a new computer. So I put Windows 7 on a flash drive using the Microsoft USB tool whatever it's called, and tried to boot from it on the new box. Can't find it in the boot menu, can't find anything wrong in the BIOS. I plug it back into my other computer, my laptop, my wife's laptop - nothing, it's like I'm not plugging anything in. Great, flash drive died.

I run to Walmart and buy a new one. This time I move files using diskpart and xcopy. I plug it into the new computer. Can't find it in the boot menu, can't find anything wrong in the BIOS. I plug it back into my other computer, my laptop, my wife's laptop - nothing, it's like I'm not plugging anything in. Great, flash drive died.

Seriously, what the gently caress, is my new motherboard just bricking USB sticks? What in the loving christ, I need this thing to work for 20 minutes so I can get Windows on it, that's all I loving ask.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jedi425 posted:

More poo poo. I'll just paste this in here:

(9:54:38 AM) Jedi425: Q: When is the worst time to disconnect someone from their paid internet service?
(9:55:00 AM) Jedi425: A: When they're LITERALLY IN THE MIDDLE OF CHATTING WITH YOUR BILLING DEPARTMENT ABOUT HOW YOU'RE OVERCHARGING THEM.
(9:55:06 AM) Jedi425: (gently caress TWC)

Fun additional fact; I was in the middle of working from home when they disconnected me with no warning or fanfare. If I could sign up for Internet service with Satan, I probably would before I gave TWC another dime. gently caress TWC.

I have a friend who had one of those package deals(internet/phone/TV) from TWC, but they never hooked it all up properly. Only basic cable, and the speeds were a quarter of what they should have been. Every time he tried to call them to get it fixed they turned off his phone for a month til he was just so afraid to call because they would just cut him off.

TWC may be the worst company I have ever dealt with.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

RFC2324 posted:

I have a friend who had one of those package deals(internet/phone/TV) from TWC, but they never hooked it all up properly. Only basic cable, and the speeds were a quarter of what they should have been. Every time he tried to call them to get it fixed they turned off his phone for a month til he was just so afraid to call because they would just cut him off.

Bonus poo poo: found out that I should have been getting 10mbps more speed this whole loving time, and they just hadn't reprovisioned me. Luckily, I seemed to have found the one technician at TWC's phone center who knew anything about anything, and she fixed everything.

The icing on this poo poo cake is that the only reason I'm dealing with all this is that I'm moving to Austin; TWC told me that I needed to close my account at this address and start a new one, which I'm fine with; I can get a fresh promotional rate. I cannot wait for Google Fiber to roll out up there so I can tell TWC to eat poo poo.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Jedi425 posted:

Bonus poo poo: found out that I should have been getting 10mbps more speed this whole loving time, and they just hadn't reprovisioned me. Luckily, I seemed to have found the one technician at TWC's phone center who knew anything about anything, and she fixed everything.

The icing on this poo poo cake is that the only reason I'm dealing with all this is that I'm moving to Austin; TWC told me that I needed to close my account at this address and start a new one, which I'm fine with; I can get a fresh promotional rate. I cannot wait for Google Fiber to roll out up there so I can tell TWC to eat poo poo.

I just moved too, and I got to leave TWC in my old place for Condo Internet (one of those new Seattle-based gigabit-directly-to-your-apartment providers). Telling them to eat poo poo, getting transferred to retention, and telling them I'm getting 20 times their maximum speed for less money is sweet. I've never been happier to close out an account.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jedi425 posted:

Good luck, that story actually happened in Austin.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Who did this?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm building a new computer. So I put Windows 7 on a flash drive using the Microsoft USB tool whatever it's called, and tried to boot from it on the new box. Can't find it in the boot menu, can't find anything wrong in the BIOS. I plug it back into my other computer, my laptop, my wife's laptop - nothing, it's like I'm not plugging anything in. Great, flash drive died.

I run to Walmart and buy a new one. This time I move files using diskpart and xcopy. I plug it into the new computer. Can't find it in the boot menu, can't find anything wrong in the BIOS. I plug it back into my other computer, my laptop, my wife's laptop - nothing, it's like I'm not plugging anything in. Great, flash drive died.

Seriously, what the gently caress, is my new motherboard just bricking USB sticks? What in the loving christ, I need this thing to work for 20 minutes so I can get Windows on it, that's all I loving ask.

Wow, way overdone for a bootable usb stick.

Insert usb stick
diskpart, clean, create primary partition, activate, blah blah blah
Insert Windows disc or iso or what have you
disc\boot\bootsect <thumbdrive letter:> /nt60
Drag and drop entire windows disc to thumbdrive
reboot, boot to thumbdrive, done.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Insert usb stick

Your instructions assume a working USB drive, he has two that fried on his new motherboard.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

RFC2324 posted:

I have Charter. A couple months ago my internet bill was hiked by 50%. I thought that was a pretty lovely thing to do. So I called them. They told me that I initially got my service at a promotional rate and that it goes up after X time, which had just passed. I told them I was not happy with that price, and that I had been a Charter customer at various locations for the last decade and that rewarding loyalty with price hikes seemed fairly backward to me. (I know the business model: first hit is free/cheap. I understand it. Most people don't care, or only care enough to whine into empty air. I just presented my argument that way.)

So the guy just set my account up with a different promotional deal that they were running at the time. Ended up paying less than I had been even before the hike.

I've seen a lot of complaints about Charter from other parts of the country, but I've had great service from them overall. I feel lucky.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Che Delilas posted:

I have Charter. A couple months ago my internet bill was hiked by 50%. I thought that was a pretty lovely thing to do. So I called them. They told me that I initially got my service at a promotional rate and that it goes up after X time, which had just passed. I told them I was not happy with that price, and that I had been a Charter customer at various locations for the last decade and that rewarding loyalty with price hikes seemed fairly backward to me. (I know the business model: first hit is free/cheap. I understand it. Most people don't care, or only care enough to whine into empty air. I just presented my argument that way.)

So the guy just set my account up with a different promotional deal that they were running at the time. Ended up paying less than I had been even before the hike.

I've seen a lot of complaints about Charter from other parts of the country, but I've had great service from them overall. I feel lucky.

You're still a customer. This is literally the only job of their retention department, who often have access to promotions nobody else does. Never pay full price for cable. As long as you pay on time, they'll discount your bill for the rest of your life as long as you call and complain once a year.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

thebigcow posted:

Your instructions assume a working USB drive, he has two that fried on his new motherboard.

Yeah there are 527 ways to install Windows from USB but they are all moot if the device is being ruined. Has anyone seen this before? I'm in a spot where I can't really troubleshoot because I only get one chance. But either the case, the power supply or the motherboard is giving the USB drive too much juice and nuking it, at least it seems to me.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Che Delilas posted:

This is every TV/Internet/Phone company ever. My brother is 30 and is on Verizon's Senior Citizens plan because he bitched enough about the mandatory move to "Share Everything".

I had to call DirecTV every 6 months and deal with someone in Retention to keep from having to pay over $100 per month to flip through a TV guide for a few hours each night. They would also try every time to hook me up with 3 free months of HBO/Cinemax/Showtime, probably hoping that I would forget I had it so when the 3 months runs out they can start billing me at the normal rate of $99.99 per fortnight.

With TWC I don't have to bug them every so often. When Google Fiber came to the city, I called them up and said "Hey, Google's here. What are you gonna do about it?" They gave me a free bump from 30Mbps to 50Mbps indefinitely.

The kicker is that I'm not even in the Google Fiber service area yet, and my current residence won't be for another year at least.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cenodoxus posted:

They would also try every time to hook me up with 3 free months of HBO/Cinemax/Showtime, probably hoping that I would forget I had it so when the 3 months runs out they can start billing me at the normal rate of $99.99 per fortnight.

Holy poo poo where do you live that those channels are ~$200/mo?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

RFC2324 posted:

Holy poo poo where do you live that those channels are ~$200/mo?

Exaggeration street, literary device township.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Exaggeration street, literary device township.

Hope the pay match up to the cost of living. :v:

Tho maybe alcohol should be more expensive to avoid people failing to get it.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
SharePoint patching is such a crap shoot. Was ready to settle in for a movie with my wife when my team lead texts me that the patches they installed aren't being recognized by SharePoint.

Not pissing me off is having MS Premier Support. We were able to get a SharePoint engineer on the phone within an hour on a Saturday night to help us resolve the issue.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
how about this. So I'm running setup.exe /prepareschema /iacceptmicrosoftserverlicenseagreement on my schema master. As soon as I start it, it pops a box asking for admin rights, which I grant. This pops a second command prompt for about .25 seconds which then goes away. I spent two hours trying to figure out why it fails, because I can't find a log. Finally I get smart and launch a command prompt as admin and then run the same command inside of that. When you do that, instead of launching a separate window when you launch it it runs in the already existing command prompt, where I learn I need some Microsoft management tool. It even provides a download link.

WHY THE gently caress COULDN'T YOU HAVE INCLUDED A PAUSE AFTER EXECUTION YOU MOTHERFUCKERS? I spent way too much time loving around on this.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Insert usb stick

Insert usb stick
Rufus
Drink beer (i.e. the needful)

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Whoa, that's gonna come in handy.

I did figure it out - I basically decided which do I trust the least, the name brand power supply, the name brand motherboard, or the everybody-makes-a computer case. I'd been plugging the stick into the front of case ports as a first try before plugging it into a slot on the motherboard. Figured I'd try it one more time, directly into the motherboard. Works like a champ. Simply going to tape over the front of case ports and unplug the cable, as troubleshooting repairing this isn't really on my radar, but there you have it, the USB ports on my new case were shorting out my thumb drives. Good times.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 23, 2014

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Whoa, that's gonna come in handy.

I did figure it out - I basically decided which do I trust the least, the name brand power supply, the name brand motherboard, or the everybody-makes-a computer case. I'd been plugging the stick into the front of case ports as a first try before plugging it into a slot on the motherboard. Figured I'd try it one more time, directly into the motherboard. Works like a champ. Simply going to tape over the front of case ports and unplug the cable, as troubleshooting repairing this isn't really on my radar, but there you have it, the USB ports on my new case were shorting out my thumb drives. Good times.

That is some bizarro poo poo that could have easily spiraled into a week of part swapping diagnostics hell. Congrats on logic-ing it out on the first go.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

That is some bizarro poo poo that could have easily spiraled into a week of part swapping diagnostics hell. Congrats on logic-ing it out on the first go.

Or his mobo has broken USB headers, but the ports on the back are fine, or they are just wired up wrong.

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Jar Jar Binks improved my story.

Lum posted:

Or his mobo has broken USB headers, but the ports on the back are fine, or they are just wired up wrong.

Like plugging the front USB onto a Firewire header like a colleague of me did some time ago. That fried one of our sticks aswell. Why do USB and Firewire headers on mainboards have the same pin blocked again?

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Trizophenie posted:

Like plugging the front USB onto a Firewire header like a colleague of me did some time ago. That fried one of our sticks aswell. Why do USB and Firewire headers on mainboards have the same pin blocked again?

Also I think there are two ways to wire the USB header on the motherboard? I distinctly remember my last mb coming with an adapter for each of the USB headers, at least...

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

dorkanoid posted:

Also I think there are two ways to wire the USB header on the motherboard? I distinctly remember my last mb coming with an adapter for each of the USB headers, at least...

USB 3.0 uses a different header than USB 2.0/1.1. There are adapters to allow USB 3.0 ports to connect to a USB 2.0 header.

And yeah, both USB 2.0/1.1 and IEEE 1394 using the same header pin layout is pretty awful design on somebody's part.

God of Mischief
Oct 22, 2010
poo poo not pissing me off: product launched, finally!

poo poo pissing me off: product launched on Friday afternoon and left up over the weekend. Nobody in IT works on weekends.

More poo poo pissing me off: coworker who said he would write up the business case for software we need never wrote it up. Over the 4 times he was reminded and said he would get it written up before product launched.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

God of Mischief posted:

More poo poo pissing me off: coworker who said he would write up the business case for software we need never wrote it up. Over the 4 times he was reminded and said he would get it written up before product launched.

Write a business case for his immediate termination. If his word is no good he is no good.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

adorai posted:

WHY THE gently caress COULDN'T YOU HAVE INCLUDED A PAUSE AFTER EXECUTION YOU MOTHERFUCKERS? I spent way too much time loving around on this.

When in doubt, run as admin

I tend to run anything "serious" as run-as-admin

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

nzspambot posted:

When in doubt, run as admin

I tend to run anything "serious" as run-as-admin
I did run as admin. Only after launching from a command prompt that had been launched as admin did I get the feedback.

namol
Mar 21, 2007

Potato Alley posted:

Insert usb stick
Rufus
Drink beer (i.e. the needful)

Thanks for posting this, totally helped me with a screwy thin client that wasn't pxe booting!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

adorai posted:

I did run as admin. Only after launching from a command prompt that had been launched as admin did I get the feedback.
That's how command-line programs work, though?

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Well my YOTJ ended after 3 months. Hurray for downsizing, GLOBAL CORPORATION!

Fun things I saw while there though:

Strict computer and network usage, but left wide open and security by obscurity.

The main software propietory suite was coded some time in the late 90s and is forever being patched instead of replaced. Every patch (no matter how tiny) costs "too much money" so they bank up the issues for about 2 years before getting them fixed. This isn't cool when the program causes the computer to freeze/lockup and has the VERY real chance of actually loving up the VM image. These are live systems that are monitored 24/7. I actually used a 5 1/4in floppy on thursday to load some training scenarios.

As for an update, some of the higher up staff that were well versed in the system were sent to the US under a joint information sharing venture and see what is used there by a similar corporation. The result of the trip was "Their system is the best thing in the world, we NEED it!". No budget, so internal coders tasked with trying to clone the suite with their own flair. Two maybe three years later it still doesn't work outside of a test environment, and before the latest progress report was due out, staff were told that there will be a freeze on employee share activity (presumably to prevent staffing bailing out of investing in the corporation).

All the old timers say they wish it was still owned by the government. I tend to agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Caged posted:

Speak to Softcat. For some reason everyone else I tried to deal with for licensing was unhelpful.

Thanks for the heads up, spoke to SoftCat today and they've been very helpful.