Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

Fedule posted:

Now that Endgame is coming up I have a newfound appreciation for the FFXIII/FFXIII-2 costumes, for one simple reason; they have four open ability slots. Seriously, the other garbs are great and stuff but so many of them are held back by being stuck with poo poo abilities I don't want and/or are worse than the ones I have.

I had a good laugh when a bunch of NPCs in Luxerion who were normally talking about a "Knight of Etro" actually seeing a real Knight Of Etro and starting to freak out a bit.

The story and plot dialogue writers must have been isolated from the world-building writers team. There is so much life in the world around that you might not notice that I can't help but think they took a page from FFV Advance's translation. Especially some of the quest dialogue and quest related flavor text. "Look, lady, you can't possibly miss him" for the one man band playing 6 instruments in Yusnaan; got my hopes up for Gilgamesh inexplicably playing Clash On The Big Bridge after that event flag, but it was just another dude.

Wouldn't that be awesome fan-art, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Faust IX posted:

I had a good laugh when a bunch of NPCs in Luxerion who were normally talking about a "Knight of Etro" actually seeing a real Knight Of Etro and starting to freak out a bit.

The story and plot dialogue writers must have been isolated from the world-building writers team. There is so much life in the world around that you might not notice that I can't help but think they took a page from FFV Advance's translation. Especially some of the quest dialogue and quest related flavor text. "Look, lady, you can't possibly miss him" for the one man band playing 6 instruments in Yusnaan; got my hopes up for Gilgamesh inexplicably playing Clash On The Big Bridge after that event flag, but it was just another dude.

Wouldn't that be awesome fan-art, though?

I do appreciate the cute version of the Final Fantasy theme that band is playing, though. :3:

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

I've been in an argument with a friend of mine over the past few years about this whole XIII series.
He loves this poo poo, I hate it.
Trying the demo left me kind of skeptical, but now there's a bunch of people saying how nice this game is and from what I've seen it seems dumb in the best kind of way, the way that turns on itself and turns out to be pretty neat.
Should I just bite the bullet and play this on another profile on my PS3, because NOBODY MUST EVER KNOW I PLAYED THIS.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Brumaldo posted:

I've been in an argument with a friend of mine over the past few years about this whole XIII series.
Trying the demo left me kind of skeptical, but now there's a bunch of people saying how nice this game is and from what I've seen it seems dumb in the best kind of way, the way that turns on itself and turns out to be pretty neat.
Should I just bite the bullet and play this on another profile on my PS3, because NOBODY MUST EVER KNOW I PLAYED THIS.

Um... I guess? I mean, if you're that apprehensive about it, that would probably be the best decision. Also to wait until it's lower in price if you're really that unsure you will like it. It's legitimately a fun game though and has a really fun battle system. The story is still FFXIII, but it's a step up from the original game, if you ask me. That opinion will vary from person to person.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

The Grimace posted:

Um... I guess? I mean, if you're that apprehensive about it, that would probably be the best decision. Also to wait until it's lower in price if you're really that unsure you will like it. It's legitimately a fun game though and has a really fun battle system. The story is still FFXIII, but it's a step up from the original game, if you ask me. That opinion will vary from person to person.

Eh, it's not apprehension really, I just hate losing an argument with my smug friends.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Brumaldo posted:

Who gives a poo poo, it's a loving video game, just play it. Worst case you won't like and lost <X> amount of hours to it. Especially if you don't have to buy the game.

I'm on the final day, exterminated a few species. I'm not going to be able to completely wipe all of them out this playthrough, so I really don't know what to do for the last day. I've done all the side quests (I think?) other than the extermination and superboss ones. Since there's no XP or anything should I just sleep through the last day?

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

"Kaboom Dragoon" posted:

Also, what outfit is it you get in the CE guide? Is it the Art of War one?

Yeah, it's Art of War with the CE guide.

Has there been any word on if they're going to sell the Aeris outfit eventually? I'm a huge hypocrite and think the Tomb Raider garb is dumb but want to throw money at SE for the Aeris one.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Dear lord jumping right over from beating the 13-2 main story into 13-3 is a shock. I need to do more reading on how to actually do combat because everything seems way harder than it's probably meant to be. Opposed to frantically filling ATB meters and swapping back and forth from paradigms, I feel like I'm just button mashing and toggling schemes and hoping for the best (and not getting the best). Maybe I'm getting into fights that are too tough for me though. I've blown through Day 1 only doing a single prayer quest and a few steps of the main story and it feels like I'm blowing it. Guessing stuff with stabilize soon but maybe I have a restart coming my way, who knows.

Anyhow, here's a 360 Art of War DLC code:
jy3wh-px4pm-gq9w2-4jk64-qyfhz

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Campbell posted:

Dear lord jumping right over from beating the 13-2 main story into 13-3 is a shock. I need to do more reading on how to actually do combat because everything seems way harder than it's probably meant to be. Opposed to frantically filling ATB meters and swapping back and forth from paradigms, I feel like I'm just button mashing and toggling schemes and hoping for the best (and not getting the best). Maybe I'm getting into fights that are too tough for me though. I've blown through Day 1 only doing a single prayer quest and a few steps of the main story and it feels like I'm blowing it. Guessing stuff with stabilize soon but maybe I have a restart coming my way, who knows.

Anyhow, here's a 360 Art of War DLC code:
jy3wh-px4pm-gq9w2-4jk64-qyfhz

Thoughtlessly button mashing and toggling schemes is what you don't really want to be doing. Each enemy has specific stagger conditions and weaknesses that you want to take advantage of, and each attack you have has different stagger power and stagger time. Generally you can treat non-elemental physical attacks and ruin like you would commandos in the previous game. They slow the decay of the stagger gauge and tend to do high damage when the target is staggered, but don't contribute much stagger themselves. Magic and the elemental strikes work like ravagers, boosting the stagger gauge but not doing much to keep it from falling quickly. Early on you just lack a good variety of commands and garbs, but you'll pick up more over time. It's a really good idea to hit the first town of every region since you'll get access to a lot of good garbs that way, and don't worry too much about canvas quests or side quests. Most canvas quests you'll complete more or less by accident while doing something else, and side quests you can just gradually do.

The main thing about the combat is just that you have to practice it. This game is a lot like 13 in that you can't really grind your way out of having to learn the system, but it's rewarding once you do.

Also I took your code. Thanks for that.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Everybody should check out today's TeeFury shirt.

It's Lightning themed.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I can tell I don't have the patience for Aeronite right now. So forget him, I'm going to spend the day killing everything else in the desert instead. Then the day after that is for the optional dungeon, and the day after that is the final one.

How does the NG+ thingy work, is it possible to start a new cycle on Easy, rest for seven days, fight Aeronite and then go on to Hard mode by running out of time? Guess I need to finish a couple of Main Quests to reach day seven as well.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Killed the last behemoth and got a giant dumb neon pink soul edge. And a trophy congratulating me on my genocidal tendencies.

goty

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Anyone want to share the set-up they used for the Day 13 dungeon, because I've completely hit a wall. Everything up to this point I've been able to handle, but I'm stuck on the Dreadnought Last One.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Purple lightning is a great garb for just running around due to its enormous max ATB, but its unique spells do jack poo poo for damage. Likewise blue mage. Do they scale off of strength or magic?

vvvv Hmm. I am using them as my strength-based loadout, but the specials deal less than a single fira 3 on my magic set. Doesn't really matter, though. It's fun enough running around as Strider Lightning. If only light slash made the appropriate noise.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 23, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

chumbler posted:

Purple lightning is a great garb for just running around due to its enormous max ATB, but its unique spells do jack poo poo for damage. Likewise blue mage. Do they scale off of strength or magic?

Str. Those 2 garbs are great.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Purple Lightning/Blue Mage's unique spells change in potency based on your HP I believe. The lower your HP, the stronger the spells.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Systematic System posted:

Purple Lightning/Blue Mage's unique spells change in potency based on your HP I believe. The lower your HP, the stronger the spells.

Purple Lightning 1HP run. Everything dies in a glorious, framerate murdering explosion.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Systematic System posted:

Are you sure about that? Nothing in game mentions it. And some guy on gamefaqs posted:

quote:

Did some testing on skeletons, flame and flood both generate damage from lightning's magic attribute and are boosted on enemies inflicted with deprotect. I guess the sword/staff icons in the menu show the damage type not whether it uses strength/magic.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Just beat the Wildlands boss.

Holy poo poo Caius was a brutal fight. It was pretty much the definition of a slugfest as we kept on throwing attacks at each other. I think the only reason I was able to survive was that my defensive schema was somehow set up to block pretty much all of his Ravager attacks. Despite using all of my consumables and having to burn through my EP, it's the only fight I've been able to get 5 stars on.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Are you sure about that? Nothing in game mentions it. And some guy on gamefaqs posted:

I believe I read that thing about the lower HP = stronger attack on that garb when I was skimming the strategy/analysis portion of the guide earlier, actually.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

So once you've completed the Main Quests (there's five, right?) I take it you just get to screw around until the last day, or what?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

So once you've completed the Main Quests (there's five, right?) I take it you just get to screw around until the last day, or what?

Yep. Sidequests, exterminate monsters, go to sleep, whatever.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I believe I read that thing about the lower HP = stronger attack on that garb when I was skimming the strategy/analysis portion of the guide earlier, actually.

Just tested this on the Ark fighting a boss do I really need to spoil this: Noel: No HP scaling at all. Damage was the same when I was at 100% hp, 50% hp and 10% hp. Scales from the MAG stat not STR stat. Deprotect increases the damage done, not Deshell.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yep. Sidequests, exterminate monsters, go to sleep, whatever.

Geez, you weren't all kidding when you said the time limit was meaningless. I finished everything at the end of day 6.

e: Welp, time to go make some animals extinct.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
When do you unlock access to Last Ones? Just as soon as you drive your first enemy toward extinction?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Syrant posted:

When do you unlock access to Last Ones? Just as soon as you drive your first enemy toward extinction?

Pretty much. I haven't tested if they're available on Day 1 but there doesn't seem to be a specific unlock requirement.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Syrant posted:

Just endlessly kill dudes. That's about it. As long as they have a distribution thing, they can be driven to extinction. If you want exact numbers, this guide should provide them. It also provides a list of what they drop, and on what days.

http://www.trueachievements.com/walkthroughpage.aspx?pageid=5998 (Put this in the OP, please)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Cake Attack posted:

Geez, you weren't all kidding when you said the time limit was meaningless. I finished everything at the end of day 6.

e: Welp, time to go make some animals extinct.

Did you use Chronostasis much / at all?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Not much at first, but once I started on the Dead Dunes and The Wildlands I used it a lot more. I pretty much did all of the Dead Dunes, the end of the first quest in the Wildlands, the second quest in the Wildlans in one near permanently locked day. Mainly because the Dunes and the Wildlands have really easy to fight and kill 2 EP enemies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

Just endlessly kill dudes. That's about it. As long as they have a distribution thing, they can be driven to extinction. If you want exact numbers, this guide should provide them. It also provides a list of what they drop, and on what days.

http://www.trueachievements.com/walkthroughpage.aspx?pageid=5998 (Put this in the OP, please)

Added.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Finally started this after finishing Bravely Default yesterday. Took a minute to start liking it, but now that I've got a handle on the combat, it's pretty good. I'm at, like, 10 AM on day two and I've pretty much completely explored the Wildlands except for the important plot location you go to for the story. I'm kinda liking the MMO feel with the exploration and quests. Kind of like a not quite as good Xenoblade. The time limit thing is a little annoying, as it seems to encourage me to spend as little time in towns as possible to keep that chronostasis rolling.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

bobtheconqueror posted:

The time limit thing is a little annoying, as it seems to encourage me to spend as little time in towns as possible to keep that chronostasis rolling.

Enemies spawn in towns, too. They aren't all 2 EP giants, but enough to get a full point eventually. Some main quests need to be started at certain times of day anyway so letting time go by isn't a huge deal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Static Rook posted:

Enemies spawn in towns, too. They aren't all 2 EP giants, but enough to get a full point eventually. Some main quests need to be started at certain times of day anyway so letting time go by isn't a huge deal.

Also each town eventually has an easily accessible area where 2 EP giants spawn so farming up a few EP is pretty trivial.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
I'm at 6AM on Day 12, and the only things left alive are Aeronite and Earth Eaters. Killing them all is, in fact, the only thing left to do at this point before endgame.

My issue is this: I cannot stagger Aeronite before he gets fed up and runs. I've never even got him into the red as far as staggering goes. It doesn't help that his Magnet doesn't have a clear wind up, so I tend to get dragged in and roared at which hurts like hell no matter how much I guard. On the other hand, I have like 5 ethers, so EP isn't an issue.

Given that the alternative is extincting Earth Eaters (gently caress those guys and their "no I don't care that you're blocking, you are taking all the damage and debuffs" attitude), and I have a whole day ahead of me to burn, what sort of setup would be recommended? I'm on Normal, have the XIII and XIII-2 imports and the FFVII DLC from a pre-order.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

This is a rather stupid question and but I'm wondering about something.

Anyone in the UK here who bought Lightning Returns, can you look at the back of game box and at the barcode in the bottom right, and see if it says "NOT FOR SALE IN THE UK" just above the barcode. It doesn't really mean much but I'd appreciate you checking it out all the same for me.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

RoboJoe posted:

Anyone in the UK here who bought Lightning Returns, can you look at the back of game box and at the barcode in the bottom right, and see if it says "NOT FOR SALE IN THE UK" just above the barcode. It doesn't really mean much but I'd appreciate you checking it out all the same for me.

I've got the steelbook from Game and I'm not seeing anything here.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The_Final_Stand posted:

what sort of setup would be recommended? I'm on Normal, have the XIII and XIII-2 imports and the FFVII DLC from a pre-order.

I used the thing that gives you Artemis' Arrows with Heavy Slash lvl 3 maxed out (and as much +STR abilities as I could get on there), Quiet Guardian with Deprotect and Deshell set up to be magic immune, and Dragoon (-5% needed to stagger enemies) with Thundara, the Soul of Thamasa to give it two combo finishers and the Quick Stagger sword.

I then took a bunch of Phoenix Downs with me, depleted the Dragoon's ATB with Thundara, and overclocked to do more damage and recharge the ATB to get him staggered 4 times and plinked away with Artemis' Arrows when it was down. It wasn't clean and I only just made it, but this is how I did it on Day 10 on Normal. The more ether/elixir you have, the more you can overclock and you can do it more easily then. You need to be good at switching back to your magic immune schema as to not die, but you should get it down eventually.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I've got the steelbook from Game and I'm not seeing anything here.

Thanks for checking, appreciate it!

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

The_Final_Stand posted:

I'm at 6AM on Day 12, and the only things left alive are Aeronite and Earth Eaters. Killing them all is, in fact, the only thing left to do at this point before endgame.

My issue is this: I cannot stagger Aeronite before he gets fed up and runs. I've never even got him into the red as far as staggering goes. It doesn't help that his Magnet doesn't have a clear wind up, so I tend to get dragged in and roared at which hurts like hell no matter how much I guard. On the other hand, I have like 5 ethers, so EP isn't an issue.

Given that the alternative is extincting Earth Eaters (gently caress those guys and their "no I don't care that you're blocking, you are taking all the damage and debuffs" attitude), and I have a whole day ahead of me to burn, what sort of setup would be recommended? I'm on Normal, have the XIII and XIII-2 imports and the FFVII DLC from a pre-order.

Regardless of your other two garbs, I highly recommend using the Miqo'te Dress as your damage dealer after he is staggered over Solider of Peace/Solider First Class. After four staggers, Aeronite is very weak to both magic and physical, and the Miqo'te Dress has "Magic Slash" which does both magical and physical damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RoboJoe posted:

I have a UK regular retail copy and there's no sign of that on the box. Two follow up questions:

1.) Is the message printed on the box art or is it a sticker?

2.) Did you order your copy from Grainger games? They often stock foreign releases of ps3 and DS games as those consoles are region free and their games often release in overseas territories before they hit the UK (e.g. Catherine and The Metal Gear Legacy Collection).

I don't know if european copies (Spain, France etc) have this message. i suppose there is a very slim chance you have a copy of the US release and/or the Asian English release. Don't suppose you have a picture of your copies box art do you? This sort of thing is an interest of mine.

• Locked thread