Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
The true answer is "it's intentionally ambiguous."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fried Chicken posted:

Basically. He got rebuked for using horrific punishment and executions in response to what he arbitrarily deemed crimes. And then the imperium named him traitor and sent an assassin to kill him as punishment. Basically, he was "vindicated" by getting them to do what he was doing, exposing their hypocrisy and getting them to discard their ideals.

Basically, the Joker thing. He got them to cross the line they said not to cross and got them to act as badly as he did.

Though considering standard operating procedure during the Crusade was "Join us or we conquer your planet" it's hard to say what line exactly was being crossed when they assassinated him. Basically Kurze's whole philosophy is that the threat of force is the only thing holding society together. Except that's a fatally flawed worldview because without law, principles, and ultimately love, the order that's created by fear only lasts as long as the fear does. AS shown by the complete breakdown of law and order on Nostromo as soon as he leaves.

Kurze of course fails to understand this to the end, and sees the assassin send to kill him as a justification for his view without understanding that the problem wasn't that he used fear so much as that he relied solely on fear and had an undeveloped, inchoate approach towards justice or propriety.

Dunno I'm interpreting it as basically Classics 101 in space.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 20, 2014

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The assasin was sent after the end of the Horus Heresy, so it makes no sense that he was assasinated due to his crimes on the Crusade, but considering this is another example of old fluff retconned in the new Heresy book, it's no surprise there's inconsistencie. However, considering the fact that the whole Konrad Kurze/M'shen thing's purpose is to be a reference to the Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now, then it's probably we're reading too deep.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
With that in mind, am I correct in thinking M'Shen = Martin Sheen?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

Yep.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

sniper4625 posted:

Yup.

Earlier in the thread there were a few minds blown with some of the less than subtle references in the names. I'm still annoyed that I missed Mag Uruk Thraka.

I'm also a bit concerned that I was able to spell Mag Uruk Thraka without having to check it on google. I have to get out of this thread...

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I just went through several audiobooks and it's a little funny to hear the narrator voice Space Marines and Primarchs by shifting to a voice that sounds like somebody who has smoked way too many cigarettes. Is there an audiobook adaptation that uses multiple voice actors?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Fried Chicken posted:

Basically, the Joker thing. He got them to cross the line they said not to cross and got them to act as badly as he did.
I remember a scene from a book (title escapes me) where the Emperor settles a squabble amongst his followers by declaring that assassins should no longer be used because they were dishonorable. Is that it?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

I remember a scene from a book (title escapes me) where the Emperor settles a squabble amongst his followers by declaring that assassins should no longer be used because they were dishonorable. Is that it?

No, you're thinking of Nemesis.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Baron Bifford posted:

It wasn't the emperor it was Dorn

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Are there any books written from the Emperor's point of view or that feature the Emperor as a main character? How about books that go deep into his background?

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion
Kinda? There was the short story about the last church of terra. But beyond that its mostly been other peoples encounters with Big E.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Are there any books written from the Emperor's point of view or that feature the Emperor as a main character? How about books that go deep into his background?

No, but ADB is writing The Master of Mankind.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Nephilm posted:

Sounds hilariously corny and fun. Thanks.

EyeRChris posted:

Kinda? There was the short story about the last church of terra. But beyond that its mostly been other peoples encounters with Big E.

Ah yes, that was pretty good. I remember reading that a few years back.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The great thing is that since it's ADB, it'll be in places corny and fun, and more illuminating and thought-provoking by far than 80% of the BL dross. Win/win.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

Nephilm posted:

This just made my day. :cheers:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I finally finished unremembered empire. It was good, but like other people have pointed out he basically was forced to tie up all the loose threads.

However i really enjoy how Abnett basically turned the lion from being the socially awkward primarch to someone who simply doesn't trust anyone and plays his cards way to close to his heart. Even more so, i did not see a single instance of him referring to everyone as "Little Brother" which to me is nice. Sadly i really think the Dark Angels Legion needs a bit more characterization aside from Luther (mad at the lion), and Corswain (wants to be neutral).

I honestly hope Abnett continues writing about the Dark Angels, and Gav Thorpe is banned from writing about them.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Nephilm posted:

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Sounds hilariously corny and fun. Thanks.

ADB also said on his blog something like, "And no, I'm not dumb enough to actually give the Emperor a POV."

We'll get some neat insights into the character, but we're not going to get answers to every question. The Emperor works when he is, to a fairly large extent, an enigma.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Uroboros posted:

I thought it was primarily because he foresaw that was how he would die, and he had been tormented so long by the accuracy of his visions that he was just resigned to let it happen. I figured the whole "LoL, you guys are just as bad as me" was a half-hearted justification to distract from the fact that Kurze has always wanted to die since he loathed himself and the race he was created to protect.

Sevatar calling Kurze out for being an rear end in a top hat from day one is probably my favorite bit of Night Lords Heresy stuff.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

DirtyRobot posted:

ADB also said on his blog something like, "And no, I'm not dumb enough to actually give the Emperor a POV."

We'll get some neat insights into the character, but we're not going to get answers to every question. The Emperor works when he is, to a fairly large extent, an enigma.

It's probably better off that way, but it'd still be neat to have a book where we see a few pages of the Emperor's perspective. v0v

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Noctis Horrendae posted:

It's probably better off that way, but it'd still be neat to have a book where we see a few pages of the Emperor's perspective. v0v

No, it wouldn't. That kind of thinking ruins settings/IPs.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Nephilm posted:

No, it wouldn't. That kind of thinking ruins settings/IPs.

Yeah, you're probably right. Every sci-fi series has a character we know very little about and have never actually seen.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Listening to Throne of Lies. I really love the Transformers movie references that ADB keeps slipping in throughout the Night Lords series.

This is bad comedy.

The defenses were broken, the slaughter would begin.

I think there are more, but I do not remember at the moment.

At first I thought it was coincidence, but then I saw the caption he put on the image here: http://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/2011/08/29/aurelian-cover-art/

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I'm pretty sure there's already been a very short story from the Emperor's perspective just before he beams up to Horus.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Wolf of Ash and Fire has a first person account of the Emperor engaged in combat with orks from the Ullanor empire. Not from his perspective, but from Horus' and Sejanus.

I'd probably pay like 50 dollars for a proper record of the ullanor campaign.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

VanSandman posted:

Way to say it out loud, man. Now GW will make it, but charge $150.

e: And only print 30 copies.

One Legged Cat fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 23, 2014

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

VanSandman posted:

Wolf of Ash and Fire has a first person account of the Emperor engaged in combat with orks from the Ullanor empire. Not from his perspective, but from Horus' and Sejanus.

Kharn also tells a story to Angron about the Emperor in combat in After Desh'ea. Pertarabo's men are being overwhelmed by the burrowing monsters and then the Big E comes screaming down from the sky and everything he hits reacts as if hit by a grenade.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dog_Meat posted:

Kharn also tells a story to Angron about the Emperor in combat in After Desh'ea. Pertarabo's men are being overwhelmed by the burrowing monsters and then the Big E comes screaming down from the sky and everything he hits reacts as if hit by a grenade.

The point of that was probably to make Angron more furious that the Emperor didn't save his slave army. There are a lot of inconsistencies and weird actions on the part of the Emperor, but teleporting Angron up from his last stand near the end and letting his closest friends die is easily one of the most irrational things he's ever done.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

pentyne posted:

The point of that was probably to make Angron more furious that the Emperor didn't save his slave army. There are a lot of inconsistencies and weird actions on the part of the Emperor, but teleporting Angron up from his last stand near the end and letting his closest friends die is easily one of the most irrational things he's ever done.

There are many unknowns regarding that event, and many plausible explanations for the decision. Betrayer indirectly sheds some light into it by showing how Nuceria was left unmolested after a peaceful compliance, and how the Emperor knew Angron's implants were killing him yet took no action to remove the Nails.

The situation screams of hidden complexity, and I'm hoping The Master of Mankind or future ADB World Eaters novels reveal more of it.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion
It's kinda weird to think how different the Heresy would have been if the Emperor had just let Angron die in his heroic last stand as an act of loyalty and defiance against his oppressors. The World Eaters / War Hounds would have been the most loyal of all legions and would have gladly signed with the Emperor as an act of loyalty shown by their gene father.

That or if he understood the underlying motive for Magnus' breaking the act of Nekia to warn his father. Instead rash decision making and weak understanding of non-immortal beings besides himself allowed him to carry the biggest idiot ball in trope history.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

One Legged Cat posted:

Way to say it out loud, man. Now GW will make it, but charge $150.

e: And only print 30 copies.

And have it written by CS Goto

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Whilst a full showing of the Emperor's perspective is a bad idea (just how do you write a super-wise, aeons-old immortal?) we could have the Emperor confide a few thoughts to a confidant (eg Malcador).

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Nephilm posted:

There are many unknowns regarding that event, and many plausible explanations for the decision. Betrayer indirectly sheds some light into it by showing how Nuceria was left unmolested after a peaceful compliance, and how the Emperor knew Angron's implants were killing him yet took no action to remove the Nails.

The situation screams of hidden complexity, and I'm hoping The Master of Mankind or future ADB World Eaters novels reveal more of it.
I'm pretty sure the Emperor didn't remove the nails specifically because it would kill Angron if he did. I'm almost positive that there was a line about the Mechanicus being completely unsure as to how to remove the nails without killing Angron in the process. There was something about the nails being a super advanced tech that nobody could figure out anymore.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

Whilst a full showing of the Emperor's perspective is a bad idea (just how do you write a super-wise, aeons-old immortal?) we could have the Emperor confide a few thoughts to a confidant (eg Malcador).

I'm sure there will be plenty of talking done by the big E in the book, as seen by various persons. Malcador is probably the most interesting PoV since he has an intimate relationship with the Emperor (he's efectively immortal because the Emperor wills it so). But I'm looking forward to a bunch of other PoV's from normal humans.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

EyeRChris posted:

It's kinda weird to think how different the Heresy would have been if the Emperor had just let Angron die in his heroic last stand as an act of loyalty and defiance against his oppressors. The World Eaters / War Hounds would have been the most loyal of all legions and would have gladly signed with the Emperor as an act of loyalty shown by their gene father.

That or if he understood the underlying motive for Magnus' breaking the act of Nekia to warn his father. Instead rash decision making and weak understanding of non-immortal beings besides himself allowed him to carry the biggest idiot ball in trope history.

How do we know if he really did let Angron die and Angron just doesn't remember it, either due to wakibg up from death/near-death or else just generally being a total psycho. Angron isn't exactly a super reliable source and noone else was really there. Especially simce Angron killed most of the higher leadership rogjt after

As for Magnus, someone find that quote with the analogy about biker gangs.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Quick lore question: how detailed are astropathic messages? Are they like telegrams or letters?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

Quick lore question: how detailed are astropathic messages? Are they like telegrams or letters?

Depends on the warp/author. Sometimes it's like letters, sometimes images, concepts, ideas, etc.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Baron Bifford posted:

It is supposed to be about as involved as interpreting dreams. You don't get "orcs attacking from x system, estimated force y, estimated arrival z" you get premonition of danger from a direction with flashes of images showing the enemy and a corresponding sense of anxiety for how strong they are. The ability to use warp flasks and astral projection spells to clearly communicate is of the warp and an advantage of Chaos over the other factions

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fried Chicken posted:

It is supposed to be about as involved as interpreting dreams. You don't get "orcs attacking from x system, estimated force y, estimated arrival z" you get premonition of danger from a direction with flashes of images showing the enemy and a corresponding sense of anxiety for how strong they are. The ability to use warp flasks and astral projection spells to clearly communicate is of the warp and an advantage of Chaos over the other factions
First and Only starts with what basically amounts to a telegram version of an Astropath message. I guess it largely depends on the author and the author's understanding of how we actually send signals in the real world. I like to think of it as a UDP stream, so the astropath bungs out a coherent message in sequence, but then "Warp happens" and the chunks arrive in whatever order they arrive in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, Astropath transmission rules are all over the place in the books.

It varies from a Freuds "Interpetation of Dreams" approach to sending an email.