Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubble_Princess
Dec 25, 2013
Princess! You are the Moon Princess Goddess!

As I mentioned before, this pantheon was made of a bunch of anime like 'elements' of nature, stuff that really didn't make a whole lot of sense. I remember Lead God being Ice/Time, Carol was Darkness. We also had a Earth, Metal, Air, Fire, Shadow, Star, I was apparently given Moon element (Cause apparently I was Sailor Frickin Moon or something) and we eventually had a Sun.

Sun element person was actually my best friend of fifteen years at that point, we had been through a ton together but she was always a bit off. Her parents divorced when she was a baby but even though she had a step father that loved her, she always had a resentment towards the world, like it owed her something. Sadly instead of being my rock through the crazy, she caught on the idea of special like a house on fire and used that to turn against me and eventually hate me.

This eventually lead me to feeling utterly alone, I couldn't talk to anyone about this in fear they would think I was nuts or jump on the crazy wagon like my friend who I had loved like a sister.

There were a lot of escapades with this group, most coming out at inopportune times, like at a fair, each other's houses, in restaurants. Like being at McDonald's and one of them start ranting about being superior.

As I mentioned prior, apparently we were all able to tap into our 'gods power' like Lead God's so called ability to lower temperatures, Fire God could raise temperatures, Darkness... um... she had curses I think? She threw the word cursing people around like it meant something but apparently I was the only one safe from her curses as the moon was all protective magic and shielded me from other's magical attacks. Sun could either predict how sunny it was out, or make the sun come out and I can't for the life of me remember what Metal or Star could do.

Oh yes... I forgot to mention the god's appearances... because apparently they all had their 'true form' which all looked bizarre in themselves. I will start writing those up but it's gonna take me a bit cause I need to dig around in old books to find the drawings I did so long ago.

Up next:

Lead God, the BDSM God demon thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Princess, my sophomore year was a bit like your experience, except pre-anime and pre-Internet. Creepy, disgusting ringleader, a pantheon meant to rule the coming century, nebulous spheres of power, it's all familiar. I thought maybe they were just REALLY into their made-up D&D campaign, but nope! I remember five or six of us on a party phone line while the leader 'guided' me on a ~~~spiritual journey~~~ through magical realms to determine what my secret power was! :haw: All it was was just throwing out descriptions on association, describing the first idea that came to mind based on a series of prompts. I got space - not stars and galaxies and stuff, but the concept of empty, three-dimensional space. I don't have any distinct stories beyond that (sad for the thread, good for my sanity).

It was amusing to play pretend, especially when you couldn't afford pricy RPGs, but I lucked out: about six months into knowing these people one of the group called me out of the blue and we got to chatting frequently. I don't remember ever explicitly talking about it, but it was as if they knew it was all insane bullshit and could tell I did too. They're still my oldest and closest friend, so something good came out of the crazy.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Bubble_Princess posted:

Host, Drama and the Government

This ties in shortly after meeting the Lead God with the stupid name. While I was very weirded out by what transpired I tried to shrug it off because.... well I was young and stupid and still wanted to keep dating this guy to appease my parents no matter how weird his tales might have been. During this time I learned more about the other people gods. Apparently there was like... 11 or them or 15, I can't remember but there were a lot and they were all based around an element, cause apparently the sun is an element as is ice, fire, time, etc etc.

Parties consisted of these gods coming out, all with really anime sounding names to bicker with each other like teenagers (Did I mention this all happened in high school?) cause apparently there were issues like two hosts were dating, but the gods they were the hosts of were past lovers of some other god in another body, seriously I could have written all this down and made a soap opera. There was also drama like one god killed another in a past life for power and the victim was really angry at his or her murderer and that caused a new kind of tension, kind of really uncomfortable.

As time went on, the more and more people talked they started to have these conversations in public but instead of, you know, taking the conversation somewhere private, they grew paranoid that people were listening in on them. The Lead God informed them since they were all hosts, they all had the ability to tap into their god's 'element' and use such power. He was also certain that the government would want their hands of someone with such abilities so they had to be -extra- careful. Like Lead God was a duel elemental god of Ice/Time (He was the only .... I do not know how that happened so I won't explain it, but apparently his power he could tap into was ice the most which caused him to be able to... drop the temperature in a room... yes the government would totally be over this guy to harness the power... to replace air conditioners I guess?

He kept rambling to me about seeing things like men in dark suits and helicopters, but we did live in a city and I did point out to him there was an airport in said city but no, he was convinced that the government was out for his soul. This went on for a while but the group found a 'solution' to the problem was whenever they were talking about the gods, they threw out random TT jargon to make it seem like the were discussing a game.

As the 'gods' became more in depth, the more I found out these sounds like bad plots from Inuyasha and Yu-Gi-Oh, complete with each god having a 'dark side' to them. I won't go too much into those but facing the Lead God's so called 'dark side' almost got the life choked out of me. Now I am sure people will ask why I didn't run away at that moment but at that point I was scared of death of that guy and if he could do that to me and 'didn't mean it' I was terrified of what he could do if he did mean it.

Up next:

Princess! You are the Moon Princess Goddess!

Oh hell, I might have had a run in with these people by proxy. A friend of mine got told this exact same line by someone trying to hit on her. I might even still have the bit she copied to me because it was simultaneously that creepy and that hilarious because I wasn't involved.

Bubble_Princess
Dec 25, 2013

Ryushikaze posted:

Oh hell, I might have had a run in with these people by proxy. A friend of mine got told this exact same line by someone trying to hit on her. I might even still have the bit she copied to me because it was simultaneously that creepy and that hilarious because I wasn't involved.

I wouldn't be surprised, there was a lot of trial and error, they kept throwing out lines to people to try and sink people in, for every success they got a few that told them where to go. Apparently they explained away the rejections as the gods were finding 'more accepting bodies'.

Bubble_Princess
Dec 25, 2013

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Princess, my sophomore year was a bit like your experience, except pre-anime and pre-Internet. Creepy, disgusting ringleader, a pantheon meant to rule the coming century, nebulous spheres of power, it's all familiar. I thought maybe they were just REALLY into their made-up D&D campaign, but nope! I remember five or six of us on a party phone line while the leader 'guided' me on a ~~~spiritual journey~~~ through magical realms to determine what my secret power was! :haw: All it was was just throwing out descriptions on association, describing the first idea that came to mind based on a series of prompts. I got space - not stars and galaxies and stuff, but the concept of empty, three-dimensional space. I don't have any distinct stories beyond that (sad for the thread, good for my sanity).

It was amusing to play pretend, especially when you couldn't afford pricy RPGs, but I lucked out: about six months into knowing these people one of the group called me out of the blue and we got to chatting frequently. I don't remember ever explicitly talking about it, but it was as if they knew it was all insane bullshit and could tell I did too. They're still my oldest and closest friend, so something good came out of the crazy.

I still keep in contact with at least one of the people from that group and by god we act like it never happened, we are much more sane that way. But yes, playing pretend is fun... just some don't know where the line is.

Treguna Mekoides
Jun 17, 2008

A witch is always a lady except when circumstances dictate otherwise.

Spoilers Below posted:

Sup OCD goon buddy :unsmith::respek::unsmith:

I actually had a similar experience that, soon as I can drudge up the proper memories, I'll share with y'all. Oddly, it was all dudes involved, which doesn't seem to be the norm for the thread, and involved a lot of recovered past life memories/"real world" stuff.

Sup! :justpost:

Also, Bubble_Princess, your stories are amazing! I've been chatting with a friend I had back then, and I had forgotten how many funny, awkward things that happened around me. I just need to finish some projects for work and then I can dump actually rather funny stories.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Sun could either predict how sunny it was out

Power of the weather channel.

Bubble_Princess
Dec 25, 2013
Lead God, the BDSM God demon Thing

In my last little story, I pointed out these gods had 'true forms' and I supposed they would have an appearance if they actually did exist at one point but I just had to laugh when I was told each one. Now I can't really remember many of them save for what mine, Lead God, Darkness, Sun and Fire looked like, the other I have plain forgotten or was never told.

Darkness: I remember her looking like a generic goth chick, dark dresses, long dark hair and nothing outlandishly special about her... Just darky, dark of the darkest dark.

Fire: Fire was a male, but every picture I've seen of him looked like a bishie raver boy with fox ears and a fox tail.

Sun: Sun was a blonde chick in golden or silver armor with gold trim, always carried a sword and looked like a battle god of sorts. Nothing out of the ordinary save for the armor, no animal parts or the like

Lead God: This one I know the best save for 'mine' since I had the most exposure to this one plus I drew him a few times. This one was supposed to be some long haired bishie guy who wore black leather vest and pants, studded with bracers and carried a sword... who also had generic bat wings and little red stripes up by his eyes. Apparently Moon godling had these stripes too, I have no idea if they had a meaning or where just there of Inuyasha inspired-ness.

Moon: I won't lie, I saw where the inspiration for my 'god' came from and while everybody in the group swore up and down that it was a coincidence, that my 'god' inspired the art.... well...

These gods supposedly have appeared in different parts of history, not surprisingly as some famous historical figure. Lead God was the Titan Cronos (Khronos?) some historical badasses... I think Rasputin... Darkness was apparently Lady of the Lake in one life which makes loads of sense >.< Moon Godling was Florence Nightingale at one point... and one confusing past story life where she was apparently a boy, a page boy squired to Lead God's knight.... I didn't ask to much about that one.

Edit: Needed to fix pic

Bubble_Princess fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 19, 2014

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Volume posted:

Power of the weather channel.

Or a window.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Bubble_Princess posted:

Lead God, the BDSM God demon Thing
Lead God: This one I know the best save for 'mine' since I had the most exposure to this one plus I drew him a few times. This one was supposed to be some long haired bishie guy who wore black leather vest and pants, studded with bracers and carried a sword...

I don't know why, but I just can't let this go. Bracers are things that you wear around your arms, kind of like this.

If he was wearing an outfit 'with studded bracers', as in he wore bracers that had studs on them, that makes sense. The way it's written above makes it sound like his outfit had all kinds of bracers attached to it, just for the hell of it. Which is a far more amusing image and given some of the crazy we've read about I wouldn't be shocked if something like that happened, but I couldn't not mention it.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Of all the pictures of bracers on the internet, you chose that one.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Is that made of construction paper?

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
Looks more like really cheap plastic-y leather. But it is leather, you can see some of the grain of it in a highlighted area towards the bottom right.

Well it turns out that the pantheon you'd joined may in fact be the dork patrol. I'm baffled by how unimaginative these people are, generic goth girl and man wearing leather? pfff. What the hell does that have to do with time/ice? Alright, off the top of my head, something better would have been more a ice blue desert robe. Since he spent all his time as the god of time, gathering sand from the desert to make hourglasses from Ice, this way time would continue ever onwards, but since an hourglass can only hold so much sand, he had to keep repeating this action ad nauseum, leaving him little time to affect the world. That's where the other members of the pantheon could come in until such a time as a device was created which could measure time without needing him. Which would allow him to leave his appointed task and wander the world. But nope, that would have required them to have put more thought into it than "I'm special and you should love me"

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

something better would have been more a ice blue desert robe. Since he spent all his time as the god of time, gathering sand from the desert to make hourglasses from Ice, this way time would continue ever onwards, but since an hourglass can only hold so much sand, he had to keep repeating this action ad nauseum, leaving him little time to affect the world. That's where the other members of the pantheon could come in until such a time as a device was created which could measure time without needing him. Which would allow him to leave his appointed task and wander the world.

lol, did you seriously just submit your own entry to the lovely teenager anime pantheon?

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Corridor posted:

lol, did you seriously just submit your own entry to the lovely teenager anime pantheon?

No, I improved the already terrible existing one. Although making it stop would also be a massive improvement. I haven't got much going on today, don't judge me :cheeky:

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

No, I improved the already terrible existing one. Although making it stop would also be a massive improvement. I haven't got much going on today, don't judge me :cheeky:

Judge. Juuuuuuudge.

You have been judged and found, well, pretty creative. :kiddo:

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Dick Burglar posted:

Of all the pictures of bracers on the internet, you chose that one.

Yes, there are many pictures of bracers on the internet. That one comes from imgur, and fits a number of things.
1)I can post it without leeching and without uploading something else to imgur (because :effort:)
2)It's being worn.
3)It's not part of an album.

So..yeah, I chose that one.

Bubble_Princess
Dec 25, 2013

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

Looks more like really cheap plastic-y leather. But it is leather, you can see some of the grain of it in a highlighted area towards the bottom right.

Well it turns out that the pantheon you'd joined may in fact be the dork patrol. I'm baffled by how unimaginative these people are, generic goth girl and man wearing leather? pfff. What the hell does that have to do with time/ice? Alright, off the top of my head, something better would have been more a ice blue desert robe. Since he spent all his time as the god of time, gathering sand from the desert to make hourglasses from Ice, this way time would continue ever onwards, but since an hourglass can only hold so much sand, he had to keep repeating this action ad nauseum, leaving him little time to affect the world. That's where the other members of the pantheon could come in until such a time as a device was created which could measure time without needing him. Which would allow him to leave his appointed task and wander the world. But nope, that would have required them to have put more thought into it than "I'm special and you should love me"

You see your idea sounds interesting and even sounds like you put more thought into it than Speseul Snofwake Lead God did. I think he just liked the idea of being the special leader so he could have 'reason' to boss everyone around and have sexual romantic tension with Darkness.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

That sounds more likely to be the reason. Hell I came up with the rest of the pantheon and their relations but decided not to post them since it really didn't add anything to your story except show they're kind of unimaginative and that I need to get a hobby :v:

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011
Every time someone mentions Lead God as being a Leader God it sounds weird to me because I can't picture him as anything other than the Lead God like the metal. He's all heavy and dragging everyone down. I'm pretty sure its due to only skimming the original post but its stuck in my head that way.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

chapstickie posted:

Every time someone mentions Lead God as being a Leader God it sounds weird to me because I can't picture him as anything other than the Lead God like the metal. He's all heavy and dragging everyone down. I'm pretty sure its due to only skimming the original post but its stuck in my head that way.
I'd get right the hell behind the concept of a God [made] of Lead.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

The Leper Colon V posted:

I'd get right the hell behind the concept of a God [made] of Lead.

Coincidentally, Saturn was the god of time (among other things) in Roman mythology, and the planet Saturn was associated by mediaeval alchemists with the metal lead. :tinfoil:

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
I'll join the Dork Pantheon, but only if I can be the Goddess of Molybdenum. I've got silvery hair, a suit of super hard steel carbide plate armor (with the sixth highest melting point of any element) and my special snowflake power is the ability to allow bacteria to fix nitrogen into molecules usable by other life forms. :science:

Oh, but prolonged exposure to me in my True Form(tm) can cause increased incidences of weakness, fatigue, joint pain, headache, anorexia, and being an insufferable twat who plays pretend long after it starts being creepy.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
You know what I'm surprised hasn't played a role in any of these stories? The Old White Wolf game Changeling: The Dreaming. If you're not familiar the premise of that particular role-playing game's premise was all about how some people have magical creatures for souls and could see the secret magical world all around us. These changelings also could be "killed" by the disbelief of mundanes. Apparently it was real popular with otherkin.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Mind Loving Owl posted:

You know what I'm surprised hasn't played a role in any of these stories? The Old White Wolf game Changeling: The Dreaming. If you're not familiar the premise of that particular role-playing game's premise was all about how some people have magical creatures for souls and could see the secret magical world all around us. These changelings also could be "killed" by the disbelief of mundanes. Apparently it was real popular with otherkin.

Yes, but that might alarm them because their idea isn't special or unique or whatever.

Whitefire
Oct 9, 2007

DEE DEEEEE
I feel like all of the content about souls and external homes in Changeling is really what a lot of these people were thinking, but it's so much easier to latch onto things that had more media appeal such as anime or vampires and build up these alternate worlds that they want to live in, in their heads. It's very easy to find a character, 2 dimensional or not, that you find yourself drawn to in some way and start identifying with. That would explain so much of the Sephiroth love and other similar stories that have appeared in this thread.

The changeling and mage groups that I ran as a teenager was absolutely great for bringing out the creative sides of my friends and we spent so much time coming up with stories to tell each other in a chill way crowded around a table eating snacks and listening to music. We would read about something in a white wolf book and say something like "so what if i'm a highschooler in gently caress nowhere North Dakota, gay as hell and poo poo on by my peers, and then I find some awakened Verbena on a native american reservation, I get in touch with nature and life with them, and then I continue going to highschool." and we'd exchange ideas about what might follow after that. I had relatively sane friends so it was extremely engaging for us to sit around late into the night playing off these worlds and supernatural concepts that other people have written for us. There was a time where I was young and totally wanted to be a vampire and do more things than I was capable of as a simple human attending highschool and playing asstons of videogames, but when my friends introduced me to these storytelling games, it really gave us a medium to escape boring life and really get engaged in being something other than ourselves two nights a week.

And that last paragraph, confuses the hell out me to this day, because all the vampire groups that I've met up with in other places since leaving my hometown, have been infested with crazy people taking things too far and sucking a lot of the fun out of what I loved about WW games by not second-guessing their Denise-esque ideas, and focusing more on their TRUE SELVES, rather than letting the tragedy of these supernatural stories evolve naturally and teach us all a lesson about life at the end.

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

Mind Loving Owl posted:

The Old White Wolf game Changeling: The Dreaming.

I remember that from a World of Darkness crossover game I played when I was younger. I don't think it would catch on with these people because it was actually really depressing: no matter how awesome and powerful you were, you'd either die horribly, go insane even by changeling standards, or grow up and forget who you were. No happy ending for those characters (then again, the whole World of Darkness setting, no matter what monster you were, was depressing as gently caress) and it wouldn't appeal for those wanting escape like Denise et al.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Oddly enough there was a small cult that got it's inspiration from Vampire The Masquerade, specifically the stuff about Caine the first vampire.

teh winnar! posted:

I remember that from a World of Darkness crossover game I played when I was younger. I don't think it would catch on with these people because it was actually really depressing: no matter how awesome and powerful you were, you'd either die horribly, go insane even by changeling standards, or grow up and forget who you were.

It'd be even funnier if they tried latching onto the current Changeling game. That's about being whisked away by glamourous and magical faeries... who are evil and heartless and proceed to torture and twist you on a whim till you fight your way back into the real world. Actually the whole game is about trying to regain mundanity.

teh winnar! posted:

(then again, the whole World of Darkness setting, no matter what monster you were, was depressing as gently caress)

I don't know, Sin Eaters are pretty happy.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
But that's kinda because they don't actually have anything to do plot wise. They're just kind of there. Chilling out and messing with ghosts and stuff. They don't really have any wider antagonists. Just angry ghosts.

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

Also, Sin Eaters are nWoD.

Promethean is in fact pretty optimistic too. You're a monster, made from dead people, brought into a world that will inevitably hate and fear you and your presence will inevitably poison the land, but there is hope. After a long journey of self-discovery and spiritual growth, you CAN become fully human again!

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Basically, becoming human/normal/not-a-monster-anymore is the "good ending" in the World of Darkness, but Denise-alikes completely miss the point and are just dying to be a ~*~sexy vampire~*~ or whatever.

Fake edit: pun not intended. Whoops.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Even the one race that isn't some cursed corruption of baseline humans, the werewolves, usually don't breed true and are all rage-aholics.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Whitefire posted:

And that last paragraph, confuses the hell out me to this day, because all the vampire groups that I've met up with in other places since leaving my hometown, have been infested with crazy people taking things too far and sucking a lot of the fun out of what I loved about WW games by not second-guessing their Denise-esque ideas, and focusing more on their TRUE SELVES, rather than letting the tragedy of these supernatural stories evolve naturally and teach us all a lesson about life at the end.

Oooh that brings up some unpleasant memories of the first and last LARP I went to. This was back when White Wolf had recently published that Mind's Eye Theatre book and while I had been in a few tabletop games, a kinda-sorta friend mentioned this LARP group she gamed with and suggested I give it a try. It sounded interesting, like make believe when you're a kid. Well, we go to this kinda seedy looking house and the guy in charge explains we're assigned roles and I end up assigned a Malkavian who's a sadist and given a partner who's also a Malkavian but a masochist. As the night goes on, it turns out it's not so much a LARP as other people have explained to me since, but more like a sex fetish thing. My kinda-sorta friend dissipated at some point and I pretty much sat waiting for her to turn up with this skeezy guy trying to hit on me and my turning him down each time. After a certain point I had enough and had to sneak out and find my way to somewhere with a phone in an area I didn't know at all to call for a ride. In the end, the kinda-sorta friend didn't understand why I was so pissed off at her and it didn't help that she told the skeezy guy who'd been hitting on me where I worked. At least my boss was intimidating enough to scare the guy off, but since then, I've avoided anything LARP.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
LARP can be fun. But LARP like that is a no go. That's why I stay away from any LARP that uses a guys house as it's location. I much prefer the 'go out into forest in middle of day. Beat crap out of each other with Latex swords. Go home' kinda Larp. But maybe that's just me. I did luck out with my LARP group being part of a large society of good people who kick creepy fucks out.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Arashiofordo3 posted:

LARP can be fun. But LARP like that is a no go. That's why I stay away from any LARP that uses a guys house as it's location. I much prefer the 'go out into forest in middle of day. Beat crap out of each other with Latex swords. Go home' kinda Larp. But maybe that's just me. I did luck out with my LARP group being part of a large society of good people who kick creepy fucks out.

I've talked with people who are members of the official WW LARP groups and they were horrified when I told them what happened to me because apparently there's some stringent rules about that sort of thing. But considering this was back in the 90s and a new thing, there wasn't any regulations in place yet. It did start my souring with the WoD thing overall.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

I think the lesson to take from this is that your average Malkavian player is terrible.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I think the lesson to take from this is that your average Malkavian player is terrible.

It's the same type who has to play a Kender or a Wild/Chaos mage.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

M_Sinistrari posted:

Oooh that brings up some unpleasant memories of the first and last LARP I went to. This was back when White Wolf had recently published that Mind's Eye Theatre book and while I had been in a few tabletop games, a kinda-sorta friend mentioned this LARP group she gamed with and suggested I give it a try. It sounded interesting, like make believe when you're a kid. Well, we go to this kinda seedy looking house and the guy in charge explains we're assigned roles and I end up assigned a Malkavian who's a sadist and given a partner who's also a Malkavian but a masochist. As the night goes on, it turns out it's not so much a LARP as other people have explained to me since, but more like a sex fetish thing. My kinda-sorta friend dissipated at some point and I pretty much sat waiting for her to turn up with this skeezy guy trying to hit on me and my turning him down each time. After a certain point I had enough and had to sneak out and find my way to somewhere with a phone in an area I didn't know at all to call for a ride. In the end, the kinda-sorta friend didn't understand why I was so pissed off at her and it didn't help that she told the skeezy guy who'd been hitting on me where I worked. At least my boss was intimidating enough to scare the guy off, but since then, I've avoided anything LARP.

I also was put off LARP for good by a live action game of Werewolf we went to. It was in the function room of a large bar in Glasgow, and I/the 2 people I was with had to create a character to get started. Long story short, the players already there (about 20 of them I guess) ALREADY, from when we walked in the door, started doing all the "pack" poo poo and treating us as low in the pack/omegas/whatever the gently caress it is. To the point where I had to go to the bathroom, said "excuse me" to this chick who was in the way of me getting by, and she refused to move because she was "higher in the pack than me". I literally did not have a character at that point. I pushed past anyway and hid in the toilets for 10 minutes away from them, then came out to be accosted not 6 feet from the ladies room door by this really tall, older guy (in his 50's I suppose) with a strong English accent and wearing a cheap SCOTLAND t-shirt. He got right into my personal space, leaning over me (I'm not short - I'm 5'9 - but he was a good few inches taller than my 6'4 boyfriend of the time) and gesticulating wildly, asking WHY I wasn't more involved, telling me to get back to the game, asking me what my problem was, telling me YOU HAVE TO BE YOUR CHARACTER repeatedly, that he took at least an hour every day to BE his character at home, weird poo poo like that. I explained I wasn't comfortable and was leaving, and he followed me all the way to the doors, hassling me with WHY ARE YOU LEAVING WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH US WHAT'S UP WITH YOU. I actually never pen and paper RP'd since then either, it was a lovely experience and I left that night without my friends even because I just wanted out of there.

Not a good impression of LARPers. Sorry LARPers.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

moerketid posted:

**Bad werewolves no biscuit**

I ended up drifting from tabletop gaming too. The one group I'd try to play with rarely would get a campaign off the ground since the GM always had to do something new that we needed new characters and each session would end up making characters. That my second floor apartment wasn't reachable for the members on scooters didn't help matters either.

And to contribute fresh content, I bring the Saga of H and T.

I know I've talked about these two on and off in the forums, but catching up on the thread I figured might as well consolidate the saga. I apologize in advance for having to skip around in parts, but it's to best describe how things unfolded over time.

The Dramatis Personae & the Call Center days

I used to work at a call center with both of them and while they were odd then, considering we were doing tech support for AT & T, there's generally no shortage of wierdness when it comes to tech. T, who was in his earlyl 20s at the time was generally one of those worship at the altar of Apple/Mac types and frequently whined about having to talk to stupid people. He would eventually lose his job from a combination of showing up late and calling off to play WoW. As most of our department also played WoW, even there he was frequently whining over no one wanting to do anything with him in game and when we'd try to help him out with his character such as suggesting builds that groups were looking for or ways he can play the character to contribute to groups he'd whine he didn't want to follow 'the sheeple' way. Pretty much his big go to outrage insult at most anything was 'sheeple'. Eventually he quit WoW involuntarily because he couldn't afford it anymore. He also was going to school for engineering at this time and blew it from too many abscences.

Several of us who still keep in touch from that job have the feeling that T might be an untreated Aspie since he had trouble with social cues such as not differentiating between a joke and serious or the time he wanted to show us a picture of the girl he was seeing and it was a nude shot on his phone. Another time he wore a Che Guevara shirt to work and didn't understand even after we explained to him that some of our Cuban co-workers who'd lost family in the revolution had reason to hate on Che and Castro. There will be more things later about this.

H is an older woman in her late 40s with a fierce nostalgia for the old hippie era. For New Mexico, this is fairly common since a lot of hippies moved out here when the era ended. H was already giving out some odd habits such as if someone started to talk about going to conventions, she was all about going to conventions too. When my fiance who also worked with us mentioned he was going to refresh his certs and skillbase for EMT, she decided she was going to take classes for EMT too. She was also what I call aggressively nerdy such as always trying to shoe in a Monty Python refrence in the conversation whether it was appropriate or not, or bringing up something really obscure even for the nerds in our department. During one of the Halloween costume contests at work, she dressed up as some sort of fox spirit with two tails that she named as something that wasn't kitsune and had to explain to everyone what she was, and promptly was pissed the rest of the day when she didn't win the contest. Another thing she was steady for was when anyone mentioned the Horde from WoW, she had to make a point that wasn't the true Horde, that was the Mongols of which she belonged to a Horde group. She's also the only person I've seen in the flesh talk about enjoying yaoi, fanfics and filks outside of a convention setting. Over time we also got to see her casual racism which when called out on it insists it's just a joke not anything mean.

On top of this she made it well known she planned on buying some land out in the boonies, building a self sufficient house and living off the grid though somehow also having internet access. Again, out here that's not wierd as some to work towards that as a retirement thing. What made it wierd was the more she described things, it was sounding more like a compound. When she heard my fiance has a gun broker permit for antiques, she was asking him how many could he get for her as if she was looking to build an armory. Another thing that had people wondering what the hell was when she was going through books on human waste composting.

While everyone was politely stressing that doing the live off the grid thing was going to take money in advance so the best thing for her to do was to just build up a nest egg for now rather than jump into things halfassed, she began her money schemes that were supposed to speed this up. First one was she was going to sell organic baked goods she'd make at home. This lasted until she saw how much it was costing to buy the ingredients at Whole Foods compared to how much money she was getting from us buying from her. Second was going to get on Jepordy. She scraped up what money she had along with borrowing and flew out to Chicago where they were having tryouts. She did say she tried out and was waiting for a call to know how she did, but nothing after that. The behind her back talk figured she probably did a 'Suck it Trebek' joke trying to be witty and definitively killed her chances.

After that, she apparently decided to take a heavy class load so she could get EMT certified quick and quit the call center. When people who had taken medical type classes warned her against this especially while working a full time job, she ignored them and during an important skills test had a meltdown in front of instructors which failed the test. She also didn't get high enough grades in some of the classes to advance so she'd have to retake some and this also impacted her special circumstances financial aid because she already had a degree in band instrument repair and I guess there's some different procedure for going for a second degree when you've already got one.

During all this drama, H fell for T hard and when she let him know how she felt, he told her she was too old and looked like his mother. This didn't effect her feelings for him or impact when he moved in with her because his old roommate chucked him out of the apartment for not paying his share.

Life after call centers

Call centers out here are pretty much a dime a dozen because since the weather's more steady compared to places like Florida, so when one closes, there's a good handful that's hiring. The call center we were at closed, and since a lot of us had survived when AOL shut down, a good many of us decided to go back to school to get a better skill set or go on unemployment for a time to see what opened up later on.

H & T were no different.

T now decided to go back to school, this time for autorepair and because of the engineering classes fiasco, he was on academic probation. H applied for every assistance possible with additional difficulties because she had the previous degree yet made no attempt to find a job in that field. Looking for a job was the farthest thing from either of their minds. She also now became a car nut all about able to do car repairs and had always been despite how many times she had her car break down and couldn't afford repairs.

Despite no one having a job and essentially living off of financial aid and assistance, neither of them changed thier spending habits. H still had to go to every convention possible and T had to buy whatever the latest Apple product was. Going over to thier place to visit, it was like an episode of Hoarders. She had two sickly looking cats, one with some wierd black mass crusting on it's ears and the other was a compulsive fur puller. Both cats seemed starved for attention when my fiance and I would visit. Stacks of stained papers everywhere and piles of clothes and video game stuff everywhere to the point it was a challenge to walk around and find somewhere to sit. The kitchen was just as bad if not worse since the counters were visibly grimy and the litter box in there had visible layers where instead of cleaning it, they'd just dump fresh litter on the soiled. Clutter of pans and bottles in boxes were all over the floor with a pathway shoved through to the piled high sink from the doorway. My first time seeing it made me feel queasy over the baked stuff she'd sold us earlier on. The bedrooms from what I could see were packed full of boxes and clothes laying everywhere so I don't know who slept where. More than a few times this clutter made H lose paperwork she needed to keep her financial aid and assitance going. Cleaned up, the house was a rather nice one.

It became a regular thing in Facebook posts to see her showing off some new age or nerdy tchotchke she bought and later that week worrying about how to make rent or pay a bill. Usually one of her hugbox friends who weren't much better off moneywise would give her something or she'd next be posting that something got shut off. Any questions about if T was contributing any money was blown off as he had to spend it on something for him and he could do no wrong. When they were low or out on food, letting them know what was on sale at any of the local grocery stores was generally met with either they weren't going to support Big Business or only Whole Foods had the organic food they needed.

They did at one point have a mutual friend of ours move in for a bit. He's got MS and a medical marijuana prescription that he's very strict with. More than a few times he caught T stealing from his stash. This wasn't too surprising since T's a bit into the 420 culture thing to the point he insists anyone who smokes weed is alright, even when it's meth heads just smoking in between freebasing. The friend did eventually move out soon as he found an apartment because he was tired of the weed stealing along with since he was the only one in the house with a job, he became the go to person for making sure the bills were paid when they were blowing money on conventions and crap. Another sore spot was while T conciders any religion something for sheeple (except for topless pagan chicks) and H is a more pagan than thou type, they regularly went to any church thing for the needy to get handouts or free services like donated car repairs for working single mothers.

Around this time, my fiance's car died and we were in a time of low money and H volunteered that T could fix it. They made it sound like it'd be a weekend job which suited us since classes hadn't started up yet for us and I did have a night class coming up when the buses weren't running. The weekend job ended up becoming a several months long ordeal of trying this or that while buying them lunch, buying parts, and bumming my cigs. T volunteered to take me to and from the night class. During the times he remembered, he'd rant about H and what stupid things she did as of late such as having to buy a vintage VW bug when they had at that time three cars needing repairs. They would end up being junked for having sat in the elements too long and the VW was in such a bad state the one time I was in it, I'm surprised my lungs didn't combust from all the fumes. When they insisted that T needed some special tool that cost $200 to fix the car combined for the times I had to walk the few miles home from campus, I had enough and told my fiance that they'd been mootching off us too long. I said with how long this has gone on, we were better off taking it to an actual repair place. T suddenly was able to fix the car with one part in a few hours.

My fiance and I were ready to just cut them off as dead weight when T changed his Facebook status to In A Relationship and moved out without saying a word to H. She began posting some unnerving posts that did have us concerned about suicide. We picked up some burgers and went over to sit with her for a bit. The place was still a cesspool, and when she wasn't complaining over the food we brought, she insisted that once she talked with T, everything would work out. She wouldn't hear of anything about possibly cutting ties with him concidering how crappy he'd been to her before this. We later found out that the person he was now seeing was someone H knew and was involved with the local indie convention along with H.

The relationship eventually tanked, but from what we heard about it, it was pretty messed up. According to T, every time after they had sex, she'd start crying which wierded him out so he'd either leave or go sit in the car. The thought of finding out why she was crying never occured to him. Even after the relationship tanked, he'd still hook up with her when he was bored and after telling our social circle of this, beg us to not tell H.

Eventually he moved back in with H and this became a subject not to be mentioned.

At one point T had to go back to his home state because his mother had to have joint replacement surgery and he had to get the place ready. Of course he took photos which are now taken down, but his mother does look like H about 50 pounds fatter and the house did look like it should've been on Hoarders. Going from what posts she'd have on his Facebook, a spoonful of marmite'll cure anything.

Not long after this drama, H was freaking out on Facebook that they had to move out in a hurry. Prior to this, she insisted the landlord was a really chill old hippy who was understanding about things. Somehow through whatever higher power looks after idiots like this, one of her neopagan friends offered them to stay at a place he owned that he wasn't living at as long as they did some repairs and upkeep for discounted rent.

Out in the unincorporated boonies

Since my fiance and I haven't been out to thier new place, it's going off of Facebook posts and what friends have told us.

The place is right on the outskirts of the city but unincorporated. H praised it as a step closer to her eventual off the grid lifestyle. It also came with a dog that's kept outdoors only. Since it's out in the boonies, H decided they'll start keeping some livestock since apparently she grew up in a distant Indiana suburb where they had rural neighbors, she knows all about caring for livestock. She got some ducks for eggs and was talking about getting a goat for milk but not sure what happened with the goat. The ducks ended up becoming a snack for the dog because T never got around to fixing the fence he was supposed to. T also went through a phase of getting pets but not taking care of them, leaving it for H.

For how long has been going on since the closing of the call center, both of them were starting to get near the end of how long they could still be on assistance. H had also progressed far enough in the EMT classes to where now she had to have the hands on experience to go any further. Despite having ample chance at the attached teaching hospital to fill the requirements, apparently no one needed a blood stick for labwork. She did do some volunteer work at a veterinary's place but that doesn't count. Any attempts to get her to apply to the local ambulance companies was met with the excuses of too far to drive or no money for gas.

They did take on a new roommate who worked in the ER, but at some point he moved out. I wouldn't be surprised if he never left but got buried under a mountain of clutter.

Around this time I got into a big Facebook argument with T. It had been brewing over time since the car bullshit and I had generally been calling him out on stupid things he'd post like saving gas by not using the brakes but doing some strange playing around with the gas pedal and coasting or drinking diet soda apparently immediately gets metabolized as formeldehyde in the body. He'd halfass try to argue until he got H or the woman who became his next girlfriend to leap to his defense. During the last big bickering, he began bringing up times we quibbled years back as if they'd just happened. I made the mistake of telling him if minor crap like that still stuck with him, that he needed therapy.

That sent him through the roof telling me that therapy didn't work, he'd been through it and I need to be sensitive to his feelings because he has PTSD from getting yelled at when he was younger. When he said that I should just unfriend him if he bothered me so much, I did. This was apparently a grave offence to H who began to post little passive aggressive things at me. I later found out with anyone who dared critize T would end up on her shitlist. I ignored it, mostly kept her friended to laugh at some of the bizzare new age stuff she'd post like eat a particular raw food to remove toxins or shake my head when she'd post the latest inconciderate thing T did while excusing his behavior. The closest she came to kicking him out was when they were waiting for a certified mail to come for the homeowner which they'd been accepting and handing over since they moved in and T this particular time said that the homeowner didn't live there and refused the deliver. Don't know what the mail was about but it did have H pretty worried about thier continued living there.

Despite H's apparent thinking that living out there would be the greatest, she's gotten into quite a few disputes with her closest neighbors, complaining about them being 'too mexican' and at one point called the police on them when she felt their daughter's quincenera was too loud. One of her sickly cats passed on, and the other went missing. She begged for prayers to Bast for the cat to come back, but no one knows if it just ran away for a better life or coyotes got her. The outside dog apparently managed to get what looked like a large outdoor spigot handle deeply matted into it's fur. Not sure what's going on with the rest of the animals there since they get mentioned maybe once and not again. I've talked with animal control, but with her location and the situation they're limited to what they can do. I hope that since I did make a call, there's something on record to work off of if others call in.

About this time I finally had it with H. The final straw was her posting something about Shakespere and I had commented in the following discussion that it was also an interesting theory that he might not've existed. She went off on me about spouting conspiracy theories and her hugbox exploded on me as if I'd personally gone over to where they lived and physically assaulted them. So, I unfriended her and blocked whatever I could related to her. My fiance still kept her friended for the trainwreck potential and wierdly enough a bit after I unfriended her, she tried to friend me again. I figure it's that geek social fallacy thing again.

Anyway, when they couldn't get any further extentions on aid, T surprisingly got a job at a mechanic's. However it didn't last long as it's still up in the air whether he quit because it took to long to drive to or it was bought out by Big Business and he wasn't going to be a corporate slave. At this point in time, he's still out of work. When they were getting to end of the money, H even more surprisingly got a job. Every time before when she'd wail over money troubles, we'd all suggest going back to call centers since it was at least a paycheck and health insurance and she'd insist it would kill her soul to set foot in one again and/or she can't apply for whatever reasons. Despite all her classes for EMT with the resulting drama and insisting her degree was worthless, H landed a commissioned job at a small business repairing band instruments.

It lasted a few months and she was let go last month. Because it was a such a small business apparently unemployment's out of the question and since we're an at will state, there doesn't have to be a reason for getting fired even though most places still come up with one. She's still unemployed though it looks like everyone else is tired of her job/money woes. Again call centers have been brought up especially with the new one expanding and on a hiring rampup, and this time everyone's telling her to concider it. She's been hesitant about saying anything but did admit that she has to consider it at this point.

With all of that said, these two have been quite a life lesson on a few levels. Considering when we worked together they seemed odd but decent enough but turned out to be pretty horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hibiscus
Dec 31, 2013
For what it's worth, right after the whole Second Life business ended there was a girl trying to start an Aristasian Changeling game. I can't remember which version it was, probably oWoD. Though, the image of them trying to play the nWoD version is just fascinating. I don't know if it ever got off the ground. I just saw it on one of their sites.

• Locked thread