Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
WElp. I retract my earlier comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Maaaan, you guys sure are mad that someone might not think sex crime jokes are perfectly suited for all audiences.

Error 404 posted:

So does this mean when people act like raging "ironic" bigots we can tell them to "go back to Reddit"?

I do that poo poo all the time.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Wow.

Thanks for retroactively making me like Super less, and sucking out a lot of my anticipation for GotG.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

God dammit, James! You were the chosen one!!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
lovely/creepy director behavior that is really really mild.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I still liked Super, but I also love Troma films.
Besides, GotG are a mainstream Disney fuckin movie, I doubt there'd be anything too bad in there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Error 404 posted:

Besides, GotG are a mainstream Disney fuckin movie, I doubt there'd be anything too bad in there.

I don't think anyone was expecting this to mean there's a graphic rape scene or anything, but "being Disney" has never meant that extremely lovely things couldn't be involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdi3zX9DKm8

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think anyone was expecting this to mean there's a graphic rape scene or anything, but "being Disney" has never meant that extremely lovely things couldn't be involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdi3zX9DKm8

Yeah because that's not a false equivalence or anything. :rolleyes:

Yep, Disney made racist as gently caress cartoons 50+ years ago, how exactly is that relevant to the mainstream in 2014? What about Warner Brothers' old racist cartoons?

I mean yeah, criticize Disney all you like, but that doesn't really invalidate any part of the point I made.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Here's a bunch of new DOFP images

http://lestoilesheroiques.fr/2014/02/x-men-days-of-future-past-28-images-du-passe-et-du-futur-blink-warpath-tornade-stryker.html

Bryan Singer: "Quick Ellen, help me strap more football pads to Hugh. I can see some color still!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Error 404 posted:

Yeah because that's not a false equivalence or anything. :rolleyes:

Yep, Disney made racist as gently caress cartoons 50+ years ago, how exactly is that relevant to the mainstream in 2014? What about Warner Brothers' old racist cartoons?

My point was that you can be lovely and uncontroversial, and Disney only cares about the latter. Nobody got worked up about Bugs Bunny in blackface when the cartoons were made, but it was still super lovely. I don't think the GotG thing is the biggest deal, but having a kneejerk reaction that Disney would never have something lovely in their movies because they're Disney is pretty asinine.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

My point was they've announced working on a Black Widow film since Cap 1 now and nothing has happened so I wouldn't think anything about it until a director or that is announced.

It was more the comments. He's deleted them all but here's the example piece from a quick google search.

So you're able to google and find all the stuff on that terrible list, but not the part with him apologizing for it?

James Gunn posted:

A couple of years ago I wrote a blog that was meant to be satirical and funny. In rereading it over the past day I don’t think it’s funny. The attempted humor in the blog does not represent my actual feelings. However, I can see where statements were poorly worded and offensive to many. I’m sorry and regret making them at all. People who are familiar with me as evidenced by my Facebook page and other mediums know that I’m an outspoken proponent for the rights of the gay and lesbian community, women and anyone who feels disenfranchised, and it kills me that some other outsider like myself, despite his or her gender or sexuality, might feel hurt or attacked by something I said. We’re all in the same camp, and I want to do my best to make this world a better place for all of us. I’m learning all the time. I promise to be more careful with my words in the future. And I will do my best to be funnier as well. Much love to all

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I did post that he apologised for it after he got a Marvel film and people called him out on it :confused:

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

I did post that he apologised for it after he got a Marvel film and people called him out on it :confused:

I had missed that! Sorry!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
While it sets a bad tone for some of what might be his perception towards real people, that is lame, eh, talking about wanting to gently caress comic characters is low on the list of things to get pissed off about.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Gatts posted:

While it sets a bad tone for some of what might be his perception towards real people, that is lame, eh, talking about wanting to gently caress comic characters is low on the list of things to get pissed off about.

Yeah, there's tonally no difference between 'I would like to have sex with X character' and 'i’m hoping for a dc-marvel crossover so that tony stark can turn her; she could also have sex with nightwing and still be a lesbian'

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

James Gunn's blog post about sex with comic book characters is gross, though it also reads like pure early 2000s internet white noise (despite being written in 2011). I dunno, I liked Slither so much I think I can separate the art from the artist more here than, say, with Woody Allen. And I'd rather have Gunn's brodouchery involved with a film I like than, say, Orson Scott Card.

The trailer joke I pretty much took as something similar to what Gunn later explained it to be - dashing space rogue gets into illegal sexual shenanigans with royalty - but I can see how it could be taken the other way. To fight about it is stupid.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Little Mac posted:

To fight about it is stupid Internet.

Fixed that for you.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

plus a "funny" rape scene done by Ellen Page no less.

I have no idea how you would take that scene and say it's funny in any way.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010
Change of pace post from arguing about black Johnny Storm and creepy James Gunn, there's a new Winter Soldier TV spot that might have a spoiler and beefs up some speculation about where the movie will take SHIELD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4dIjM2w_88

Cap mentions "Fury's last words" and I can't remember the exact line but I feel like there was a few lines in some previous previews that made it sound like Cap might be taking over at SHIELD by the end of the movie. It wouldn't surprise me because that's a thing that Cap has done in the comics and Sam can't be the mysterious leader guy forever, but also with Nick Fury's comic history they can always bring him around for a cameo even if he's "supposed" to be dead.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Is Quicksilver wearing a Pink Floyd shirt? That's pretty nifty.

Black Johnny Storm is one of those karmic opportunities to figure out who you should be friends with. Person has a problem with it, that probably means you shouldn't be their friend.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Olibu posted:

I have no idea how you would take that scene and say it's funny in any way.

Yeah, Super is kind of a strange film. It's a dark comedy, but a lot of the 'comedy' is intentionally played (moreso than other dark comedies) to be odd, uncomfortable, or disturbing enough to not actually be funny. I'm pretty sure this is by design, too. So while I really didn't care for the movie I still give Gunn credit seemingly doing exactly what he set out to do in that movie.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 22, 2014

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Black Johnny Storm is one of those karmic opportunities to figure out who you should be friends with. Person has a problem with it, that probably means you shouldn't be their friend.

I don't have a problem with it and I feel what you're saying, but the movie is in the casting phase and this thread is going to get derailed so many times within the next couple years about it and I just hate that I'm gonna have to see so many stupid opinions over the next few years.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Little Mac posted:

The trailer joke I pretty much took as something similar to what Gunn later explained it to be - dashing space rogue gets into illegal sexual shenanigans with royalty - but I can see how it could be taken the other way. To fight about it is stupid.

My mind first went to pg level blowing in her ear and talking her up (perhaps having to quick talk out of things getting too serious. It depends on the mood of the story.). Then oh oh a guard has entered the room so he's forced to flee through the window! But in his pocket he has the royal macguffin he needs to defeat the cosmic threat of the week. Sadly a society that has duchesses would over react to what historically has been a back door into the halls of power hence "illegal manipulation of..."

I imagine Starlord and the duchess will encounter each other again in a humorously awkward scene that takes his ego down a couple pegs. All of this is bone standard adventure trope.

Back in the day people would cancel newspaper subscriptions over bizzare poo poo like "Gary Larson drew a dog loving a car!!" It's just easier to scream on the internet now, is all.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I'm not too keen on black Johnny Storm for two reasons. One, he's white in the comics so why make him black in the movie only for the sake of making him black. Two, if you want to make movies with black super heroes, why not use characters that are already black. Fox owns X-Men and there are a crap load of black mutants you could do movies with.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

cmhn74 posted:

I'm not too keen on black Johnny Storm for two reasons. One, he's white in the comics so why make him black in the movie only for the sake of making him black. Two, if you want to make movies with black super heroes, why not use characters that are already black. Fox owns X-Men and there are a crap load of black mutants you could do movies with.

:allears:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

cmhn74 posted:

A+ would read in a Youtube Reacts video while doing a funny voice.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

twistedmentat posted:

Is Quicksilver wearing a Pink Floyd shirt? That's pretty nifty.

I don't have a problem with it, I'm just confused why they didn't make Sue black, too!

cmhn74 posted:

!

How does this person only have a single probation on their rap sheet?

edit: oh, he's barely ever posted

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

cmhn74 posted:

You know what, cmhn74, I LIKE YOU. You're not like the other posters, here, in the Forums. Oh, don't get me wrong. They're fine posters, they're good Americans. But they're content to sit back, maybe watch a little Mork and Mindy on channel 57, maybe kick back a cool Coors 16-ouncer. They're good, fine posters, cmhn74. But they don't know what the negroid musculature is doing to the Marvel cinematic universe.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Marvel, please give me a black Galatacus. Thank you, that will be all.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

mr.capps posted:

Marvel, please give me a black Galatacus. Thank you, that will be all.

As long as he isn't a loving cloud.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

cmhn74 posted:

Chris Evans was not blond in the first movie and nobody took an issue with that FOR SOME REASON.
"What if they made Luke Cage white??? makes u think"
Seriouspost: most big-time superheroes were created in the time when it was impossible to publish a book with a black superhero because publishers were "scared of the retailers in the South" among other things. Hell, there are barely any series with not-white leads NOW. So when you transition these comics to the movies, they start to look like the last resort of a white suprematist.

(sorry for Cracked)

It should not matter anyway because there are almost no white superheroes who are defined by their ethnic background, so casting a black actor won't go against the original material (and even then, so loving what?).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

It should not matter anyway because there are almost no white superheroes who are defined by their ethnic background, so casting a black actor won't go against the original material (and even then, so loving what?).

Yeah I mean the Marvel movies are true to the spirits of the comics but they've changed a ton of stuff. Like an insane amount, if you really think about it, including core personality traits, love interests, origins, etc. Nobody but the bitterest nerd gets upset about that because the changes work for the adaptation.

But someone wants to change the least interesting FF member's race? Oh nooooooo

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

But someone wants to change the least interesting FF member's race? Oh nooooooo

Johnny is solidly in third place. Ben's the least interesting.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nah at least Ben has the whole being disfigured and unable to function like a normal human. Johnny is pretty boring

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I am mostly curious as to how the FF movie is going to play out because as somebody brought up in the thread forever ago what little personality Johnny Storm's has is being a lazy underachieving responsibility shirking hotheaded idiot i.e. an 80's movie black guy stereotype.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You've made Jack Kirby frown in heaven.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

People complained about black Heimdall in Thor, but surprisingly no one pointed out that he and Sif are siblings in the comics.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

The MSJ posted:

People complained about black Heimdall in Thor, but surprisingly no one pointed out that he and Sif are siblings in the comics.

I don't think white supremacists actually read comics.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

cmhn74 posted:

You should feel so lucky that Michael B Jordan actually responded to you.

The secret is he got the role because he auditioned and was the best actor for the part :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

You should feel so lucky that Michael B Jordan actually responded to you.

Man, the FF are not my favorite hero team and the last two Fox movies were heinously bad, but that kinda makes me wanna go see it just out of principle.

• Locked thread