Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
knob
May 25, 2005

knob
So what do you other weekend beta testers think of it?

It reminds me of Rift in a way - a really by the numbers sort of MMO. Some neat changes, but over all a pretty typical wow (or EQ if you want to nitpick) clone. THe combat, at least on my stalker, is fun enough. The quests are way too much of the typical "go here, kill/collect/interact with 10 of these". At least WoW spices it up a bit with vehicles or some of those goofy quests (throw bears out of trees), but whatever, I don't expect a whole lot from these types of games.

The path system seems like a neat idea, but I'm curious if it'll amount to much in the long run. I'm not at all crazy about 20-40 man raids. Nostalgia made it seem fun, but even getting 10 people to do what you need to do or not be AFK can be a pain at times. I like that changing your skills around (unless I missed something) can be done so easily. The interface is awful, but I guess that's getting an overhaul?

I'll probably end up buying it. I didn't really follow the game much, so I'm a bit disappointed it's just another run of the mill MMO, but I've kind of been craving a new MMO anyways, and there aren't a lot of options right now. One thing that makes me hesitate is ESO. I know it's fun to hate on it, but ESO's almost DAOC-style PVP is one of my favorite things to do in MMOs. I played a lot of WAR, even with all of its issues, just because I like that kind of PVP so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Has it been decided if mouselook will be supported or not?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Mr. Neutron posted:

Has it been decided if mouselook will be supported or not?

There's a mouselook mod. No idea if it's gonna be supported or not.

I gave it a try and decided I liked the traditional MMO controls better.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

ijyt posted:

Yeah, the challenge system and how spontaneous it seems to be is really great, but for a lot of the kill-poo poo-quick ones (all of them?) I end up spending over half the allotted trying to find the target mob.

I think challenges really need to be looked into. Some are so easy you can get gold while blindfolded, while others are so hard like the kill ones where you can barely get 6% into bronze completion before you run out of time because you cannot find any stupid monsters. Most of the challenges are really fun but the kill challenges really sucks. We need to kill way too many and the completion rate is so slow. I just get bronze and then wait until the timer runs out most of the time to collect my reward.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I loved challenges at first but as I leveled more so I've become so overwhelmed by the huge amount of quests that doing what is essentially ANOTHER quest is the last thing I want.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

knob posted:

At least WoW spices it up a bit with vehicles or some of those goofy quests (throw bears out of trees)
These type of "spice it up quests" do exist. There are even quite a few of them. I think the overwhelming (justified) complaints about there being too many quests the last few pages really showcase the problem though: the sheer volume of quests marginalizes the unique ones.

There's quests out there where you get to play MMO carmageddon on a motorcycle (at least two, one of them I was having so much fun I kept going well after the quest had ended... ultimately killing myself by accidently using the boost right into a wall and exploding), man a cannon to defend the encampment, get to don a Hazmat suit (limited battery life oh my!) and head into a contaminated lair, get to hop around between watch towers with a jetpack... to shoot a rocket launcher at unruly plebs, get to test the latest Cubig security protocol (don't get spotted by those search lights), get to make a pig Cubig fly, deal with a bride freaking out about her wedding, moving platform jumping puzzle your way to the top of a very large... thing to turn it off, melt out poor souls trapped in ice cubes, lay off employees, capture a headcrab squirg... using your noggin (beware their mind control abilities), go "off-planet" to do whatever in low-grav, playing helicopter/airship gunner (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S06nIz4scvI; think I've had at least three of these), unleash the hounds to stop those escaping convicts, etc.

I'm pretty sure that list is even forgetting quite a few since I haven't played in a month (all sub-29 Dominion).

Also cool is the Artemis Zin collection "quest" items you can find in the world and turn into her in Illium (I assume there's a Exile equivalent). At least one of the three I've found was actually off the map (in black area not labelled as anything in the zone). A bonus for wandering above and beyond my Explorer path. I also ended up wandering through some hills to find myself in (at like level 27) one of the Exile starter zones. A level 8 Engineer even decided to PvP flag and fight me; he lost.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Yeah, I just did a whole spaceship fighting hallucinations that culminated in a fight against a giant vending machine, surrounded by giant eyeballs and rainbows. You have to keep huffing oxygen to keep the hallucinations at bay. It was loving amazing, but preceded by 10 times too many "kill 50 bears and collect their asses"

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Again, comparing it to my main MMO experience GW2, I had completed over 100 quests by the time I was level 10. In GW2 that'd be nearly a third of the total of the closest comparable system (Heart Vendors).

e:

On another note, the Explorer path is really enjoyable for me, as it scratches that itch I have in conventional RPGs of exploring every nook and cranny. It might not do it the same way as GW2 or ESO (lore investment) but the world is so lovingly crafted that I want to go everywhere.

That's probably one of the main reasons I'll be getting this game, and it would have been the same for ESO if not for the certainty that it'll be F2P shortly after release.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 23, 2014

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

ijyt posted:

Again, comparing it to my main MMO experience GW2, I had completed over 100 quests by the time I was level 10. In GW2 that'd be nearly a third of the total of the closest comparable system (Heart Vendors).

e:

On another note, the Explorer path is really enjoyable for me, as it scratches that itch I have in conventional RPGs of exploring every nook and cranny. It might not do it the same way as GW2 or ESO (lore investment) but the world is so lovingly crafted that I want to go everywhere.

That's probably one of the main reasons I'll be getting this game, and it would have been the same for ESO if not for the certainty that it'll be F2P shortly after release.

What makes you sure that Wildstar won't be the same story? It has a smaller potential community than ESO, has its share of core issues (as plenty of people in this thread have brought up), and it's not like NCSoft doesn't have a history of shoving F2P mechanics into games if they aren't performing to their standards.

Or, you know, just killing them entirely.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I don't think there is anyone in this thread who seriously believes it won't go F2P within a year.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Is the game missing a ton of sound? It's so quiet if you turn the music off. Footsteps are barely audible, jumping makes the slighest sound, hoverboards are silent. Walk into Gallows which has a ton of NPCs and vendors and there is no more sound than the background wind and birds. Your player character never makes a sound and from a quick test neither do humanoid NPCs.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Mr. Neutron posted:

I don't think there is anyone in this thread who seriously believes it won't go F2P within a year.

I don't.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

What makes you sure that Wildstar won't be the same story? It has a smaller potential community than ESO, has its share of core issues (as plenty of people in this thread have brought up), and it's not like NCSoft doesn't have a history of shoving F2P mechanics into games if they aren't performing to their standards.

Or, you know, just killing them entirely.

I never suggested it wouldn't, I just feel like Carbine is a developer that is doing the work in WildStar because they want to, rather than Zenimax Online which seems like it was just put together by Zenimax to make more money off the TES brand.

And also it's a new IP so I guess I just want it to succeed.

e:

vvv What?

ijyt fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 23, 2014

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

ijyt posted:

I never suggested it wouldn't, I just feel like Carbine is a developer that is doing the work in WildStar because they want to, rather than Zenimax Online which seems like it was just put together by Zenimax to make more money off the TES brand.

And also it's a new IP so I guess I just want it to succeed.

Wildstar was put together to make more money off of the Wildstar brand. Do you think Carbine are making a game because they're chillbros just smokin' weed and hangin' out with their friend ijyt with no financial commitments?

Roundabouts, much kool-aid have you drank?

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe
Jumping on the general "This game is super fun at it's core but there are way too many drat quests" bandwagon. I'm REALLY loving the mobility focus, every encounter is really fun, but the overwhelming amount of quests is kind of silly. They're also spread out kind of awkwardly, you'll get a quest to head to one area and on the way you'll get 3 more that send you to another. A lot of fat needs to be trimmed off the questing, but I do love the bonus quests you get when you explore. I think Lich King era WoW/FFXIV have a good model they should try and emulate on for questing, breadcrumbs that send you to an area with 3 or 4 quests, then send you along to another. I really do hope they add in more unique quests, especially in the early levels where grabbing people is important. I got to level 10 and it was all bear asses.

quote:

Is the game missing a ton of sound? It's so quiet if you turn the music off. Footsteps are barely audible, jumping makes the slighest sound, hoverboards are silent. Walk into Gallows which has a ton of NPCs and vendors and there is no more sound than the background wind and birds. Your player character never makes a sound and from a quick test neither do humanoid NPCs.

I noticed this too! I'm hoping it's something they have yet to implement

Cephid
Dec 28, 2012

SombereroLad posted:

Jumping on the general "This game is super fun at it's core but there are way too many drat quests" bandwagon. I'm REALLY loving the mobility focus, every encounter is really fun, but the overwhelming amount of quests is kind of silly. They're also spread out kind of awkwardly, you'll get a quest to head to one area and on the way you'll get 3 more that send you to another. A lot of fat needs to be trimmed off the questing, but I do love the bonus quests you get when you explore. I think Lich King era WoW/FFXIV have a good model they should try and emulate on for questing, breadcrumbs that send you to an area with 3 or 4 quests, then send you along to another. I really do hope they add in more unique quests, especially in the early levels where grabbing people is important. I got to level 10 and it was all bear asses.

Mobility focus unless you decide to play Esper; then for whatever reason they decided a light armor class should have to stand still to use all of their skills. At level 10 I still haven't hit access to something that keeps my enemies at bay, though I assume they do get a root style skill at some point but for a game who's main focus is Mobility the design choice for the esper feel dubious at best.

By contrast I really enjoyed the stalker's play, and if the engineer's TTK improved the engineer's style of play. I felt the gun slinger was just a wet noodle when spell surge was down, I think they should tone down the boost Spell Surge gives but up the base of the Gun slinger. Though none of my toons made it past level 10 as I wanted to try a few classes and try both Exile and Dominion.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
The real point of the game is to have creepy tea parties with the realdolls you build out of random items.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I love the mobility, I love how fun it is to move and jump around and climb stuff. In WoW I got so used to pointing myself directly at my next objective, hitting auto run and just watching youtube while I waited to arrive someplace; in Wildstar I'm having a blast taking longer routes because oh that looks like something I can climb what's over there oh my god look how high this is I bet this is fuckin sweet to do a hoverboard kickflip off of etc etc. Double-jump in an MMO is GENIUS because I don't feel like I'm constantly fighting with the terrain to get someplace, I don't have to run laps around this hill because that incline is just sliiightly too steep for me to run up and I can't find one that I can get up.

Is it true that the first dungeon is only accessible at level 20? I heard 20 or 15. If so, that's a bit too late. Could do with one earlier to break up the questing a little. The quests are standard MMO stuff with the exception of some of the more interesting ones, but yeah at level 10 they seem a bit sparser than the 'kill these' ones.. but honestly the combat is fun, way more fun than WoW, and I like feeling encouraged to try to kill multiple mobs at a time, and I also like that when I die it feels mostly my own fault for not moving around enough instead of 'I need bigger numbers than their numbers'.

I feel like I'm playing a Saturday morning cartoon because of the VAs, too. Tara Strong? Really? Nice!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

was really disliking this game until I tried stalker, the TTK when playing a stalker is perfect, everything else feels like a slog. Agreeing on the huge amount of boring quests as well.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I should mention this game runs pretty well for an MMO on my now almost three year old gaming laptop, which is pretty cool. From the complaints before, I was expecting it to barely run at all, but it's hovering in the 30-50 FPS range on decent settings in crowded areas which I think is fair for an MMO. So if it's running like crap, I definitely think it's optimization for newer hardware like Pryce said.

For how good this game looks I want to say they did an excellent job making it run well for me.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 23, 2014

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

hallucination stuff

Hey, glad you liked that. My team put that together. Still needs some tuning tweaks, but it's a memorable experience at least.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

I should mention this game runs pretty well for an MMO on my now almost three year old gaming laptop, which is pretty cool. From the complaints before, I was expecting it to barely run at all, but it's hovering in the 30-50 FPS range on decent settings in crowded areas which I think is fair for an MMO. So if it's running like crap, I definitely think it's optimization for newer hardware like Pryce said.

For how good this game looks I want to say they did an excellent job making it run well for me.

You're getting 30-50 FPS in places like Illium or any of the bigger hubs? Me and three other friends, all with different computer specs, ranging from mid to high-end, will drop down to 12-22 FPS in any of the big hubs, even when they're not crowded.

We've tried changing settings, /reloadui and just straight up restarting the client. I saw a Twitch streamer that was getting a good 90 FPS walk into the first hub after Levian Bay, and even his frame rate tanked, all the way down to 18-20.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
My pc is full of parts from 2011 or earlier (6950+i5 2500k) and it gets a steady 40+ fps basically everywhere on medium with no AA. Good enough for me.

There are times where it dips way down but reloadui fixes that usually.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I have a 4770k and a 770 and get slowdowns sometimes, with the overall frame-rate being pretty low. From the looks of things I'm sitting at 98-99% usage on both GPU core and memory. I don't think that's intended so I'm not too worried. There's no place to go but up. My cores are all 50-60% max so I could probably stream at the same time but would still get poo poo fps whenever the GPU hits 100.

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

bUm posted:

These type of "spice it up quests" do exist. There are even quite a few of them. I think the overwhelming (justified) complaints about there being too many quests the last few pages really showcase the problem though: the sheer volume of quests marginalizes the unique ones.

This is pretty much how classic WoW worked. Tons of mediocre quests with a few interesting ones sprinkled in. When they did the Azeroth overhaul they got a lot better. The quest hubs went from 10-15 boring quests (like kill X things) to 4-5 fun quests often with vehicles or other interesting mechanics.

Like others said, all classes except Stalker are boring as gently caress to play at the early levels. It also helps that Stalker PvE is really easy and perfect for turning off your brain and grinding through the content as fast as possible. The potential for late game PvE and PvP (neither of which I've tried yet) still makes me want to play at launch. I hope I see improvements by the time open beta rolls around. We'll know at that point what we're really getting into.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

The game really has a lot of charm, and I want to like it in spite of its problems. I agree that the easy fix is probably to do a lot of balancing - pump up spawn rates, and dramatically lower TTK.

The question, I guess, is whether or not they'll go the route of lowering the incline on the treadmill if their design sensibilities really line up behind building an homage to vanilla/BC-era WoW.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004

Cyster posted:

Hey, glad you liked that. My team put that together. Still needs some tuning tweaks, but it's a memorable experience at least.

Absolutely! It reminded me of how much fun playing a Malkavian could be in Vampire Bloodlines, and really woke me up when I was getting kind of burned out on too many "collect 50 bear asses" quests.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
I think it does feel like the important pieces are all there-- which is of course good for something at this point in beta... it just needs some adjustments to TTK and xp/questing. The questing thing is probably the most complicated to fix, but upping the xp on the good quests and turning some of the boring ones into challenges would go a long way toward it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I think doing a quest and getting 1% of a bar in exp is a real issue. Doesn't even feel worth it to kill 20 mobs and the quest reward be some negligible amount of money and barely any exp. cut the quest by like 2/3 and ramp up the rewards would feel way better.

Bandanna
Nov 3, 2005

Bulletproof
Anything to say about engineers? I am poking around at the idea of playing one.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

queeb posted:

I think doing a quest and getting 1% of a bar in exp is a real issue. Doesn't even feel worth it to kill 20 mobs and the quest reward be some negligible amount of money and barely any exp. cut the quest by like 2/3 and ramp up the rewards would feel way better.

Yeah it really feels lovely to finish a quest at level 15 and get like 1.2% of a level. Complete a whole quest hub and gain 15% of a level. I imagine this gets worse as you level up too.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
All this talk about the grind is kinda making me wary.

Is this game fun?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

THE PWNER posted:

Yeah it really feels lovely to finish a quest at level 15 and get like 1.2% of a level. Complete a whole quest hub and gain 15% of a level. I imagine this gets worse as you level up too.

Not sure if I'm alone or not, but I didn't notice this in the slightest. That is, I basically never found myself in 29 levels looking at the rate of level progress and actively thinking about how fast/slow it was.

jerichojx posted:

Is this game fun?

Sometimes I'm as enthralled as I was back in the glory days of EQ/WoW ("I'll go to sleep... just one more quest hub" ... hours later). Other times I log out because I'm bored.

Compared to the MMO fare of recent years, I'd rate it definitively above average on the overall fun factor from what I've seen thus far.

It sounds like there'll be a fairly long open beta (hopefully not solely tied to pre-order) so hopefully you can get in and see for yourself before making the yay/nay decision.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp

THE PWNER posted:

The next zone actually feels better, but that may be because it is more interesting and that makes me feel like there are fewer quests.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Bandanna posted:

Anything to say about engineers? I am poking around at the idea of playing one.

Take a look at my posting history in this thread. For the short of it, at the moment, relatively awful mob kill times (until 21), nearly useless pets and a distinct feeling you should've picked any other class other than engineer to start with.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004

bUm posted:

Sometimes I'm as enthralled as I was back in the glory days of EQ/WoW ("I'll go to sleep... just one more quest hub" ... hours later). Other times I log out because I'm bored.

I never played WoW, but yeah, this. I was about to log off from boredom before I hit that amazing hallucinating level. If they can (and will) trim the fat and elder-game is fun, it could be wonderful.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I find myself really intrigued by this game, even if at my core I'm turned off by WoW-style MMOs.

When MMOs first started getting popular, I thought I'd be playing a Baldur's Gate style story-heavy WRPG (my favorite kind of game). Of course, something like this has to be crazy difficult to realize. I quickly grew tired of WoW's endless treadmill of minute achievements and progressively filled status bars.

That said....these types of games can still be a lot of fun if you approach them as a platform for working with other people to advance your character and achieve goals. So I think I could come to like Wildstar, if I find the right guild or group to play with.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Radio Talmudist posted:

That said....these types of games can still be a lot of fun if you approach them as a platform for working with other people to advance your character and achieve goals. So I think I could come to like Wildstar, if I find the right guild or group to play with.

I really think this is going to be a critical element for longterm enjoyment of this game

parara
Apr 9, 2010

Radio Talmudist posted:

When I solo'd about ten levels during an earlier stress test, I was bored to tears. This weekend I went through with a buddy and the difference in fun I had was mind-blowing. I agree with most of the grievances in this thread, but they kind of started to fade into the background once I realized what a good time I was having.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
I finally got a key from a twitch stream giveaway. Don't give up!

• Locked thread