Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

Where's my goddamn John Doe wrapup miniseries?

The next page or two should be devoted to shows that need a wrapup miniseries instead of Heroes.

Terriers, goddammit.

Heroes gets a revival and Terriers stays in the ground. God's a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
:smith:

How about Happy Town or Awake?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Seriously,

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Why is this happening?! :shepicide:

This was my exact reaction. I mean what the gently caress, NBC.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Yup. Kings also please.

See? There's two better options NBC. Pick those two instead!

Kings was so good and I thought I was the only person who ever watched it. :3:

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

DivisionPost posted:

Terriers, goddammit.

Heroes gets a revival and Terriers stays in the ground. God's a dick.

Just coming in to make sure someone posted about the Heroes revival and that someone responded thusly. Thank you, Division Post!

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
If we're just listing series NBC dicked over and were cancelled too quickly, I'm gonna go with Bent and About a Boy (give it about three weeks and it's gonna be the case).

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

HorseRenoir posted:

Hey, do you guys like "Heroes"? No?

Well, NBC's got some news for you!
I never asked for this

The question becomes, honestly, who did?

Weren't the ratings approaching negative numbers in the last season? Even Theodore Bagwell couldn't save it.

Ravane posted:

I'm disappointed that nobody has ever really tried a martial arts themed tv show. And I'm not talking about UFC. I mean choreographed martial arts.

Like Jackie Chan Adventures was brilliant, if only for the fantastical martial arts.

I want to see something like that, not a cartoon, but actual people with really amazing choreographed fight sequences and parkour. Like a Police Story tv show. I wouldn't even mind if it were a police procedural, I'd just watch it because of the amazing choreography.
Ahem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR66Fjczwfk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX6hnoCU_bA

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

smg77 posted:

Kings was so good and I thought I was the only person who ever watched it. :3:

You weren't alone. I loved it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cardboard Box A posted:

Weren't the ratings approaching negative numbers in the last season? Even Theodore Bagwell couldn't save it.

Think about this for a second, how do you get ratings in the negative?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

If it's possible NBC will be the ones to find it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean technically going towards 0 is approaching negative.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Deadpool posted:

NO! BAD NBC!

Though naming it after one of the biggest flops in comic history, gotta hand it to them there.

I'm just gonna guess that Loeb was involved with that. The fact that nobody involved thought that Heroes Reborn might not set the right tone seems about right for Heroes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

thrakkorzog posted:

I'm just gonna guess that Loeb was involved with that. The fact that nobody involved thought that Heroes Reborn might not set the right tone seems about right for Heroes.

He won't have anything to do with it I'm sure. He's got his hands full with plenty of other things.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Deadpool posted:

Where's my goddamn John Doe wrapup miniseries?

The next page or two should be devoted to shows that need a wrapup miniseries instead of Heroes.

Surface and Invasion

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Thanks!

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
How the gently caress do the people at NBC who greenlit Heroes Reborn look at what is going on with something like Netflix, House of Cards and the shitload of viewers and awards, and not cap just themselves?

Or even loving Arrow on the CW?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Imagine a show so bad it actually turns people off of TV/your network altogether. As in it produces a net loss of viewers for other shows.

devoir posted:

Or even loving Arrow on the CW?
Arrow is probably to blame for convincing the execs that Superheroes on TV can be a thing again... and then someone said "hey don't we own a Superhero franchise" and no one chimed in with "Yeah we do... THE CAPE" before some idiot mentioned Heroes first.

Think about it NBC, The Cape Reborn is your answer to Arrow.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 23, 2014

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
On the Surface Heroes Reborn isn't a bad idea. Make a couple of 12 episode miniseries, with completely new casts(I mean besides Ali Larter) each series and tell a short story. And as long as they promote it like "We hosed up, this time we are doing it more like season one" It will probably cause people to give it at least 1-2 Episodes.

I mean it's not going to end up that way. And Will more than likely be terrible. But I can't fault NBC for trying. Heroes was pretty big overseas even as it lost ratings here.

Plus what is Ali Larter doing nowadays anyway.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Imagine a show so bad it actually turns people off of TV/your network altogether. As in it produces a net loss of viewers for other shows.

Arrow is probably to blame for convincing the execs that Superheroes on TV can be a thing again... and then someone said "hey don't we own a Superhero franchise" and no one chimed in with "Yeah we do... THE CAPE" before some idiot mentioned Heroes first.

Think about it NBC, The Cape Reborn is your answer to Arrow.

I mean Arrow's great and all, but I'm pretty sure that's not why they are doing it. It's probably more "We have absolutely nothing in the pipeline that we have any faith in, Quick lets bring back something that was pretty good for us."

Dexo fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 23, 2014

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Dexo posted:

Plus what is Ali Larter doing nowadays anyway.

What are any of them doing these days besides Hayden/Claire?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Goddamnit, now I want a show about the Carnival of Crime.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

KilGrey posted:

Zach Quinto was a big part of American Horror Story, and of course is also Spock.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

KilGrey posted:

HRG was a big part of the last season of Burn Notice, Kristen Bell is on House of Lies, the Haitan was on a guest spot on Arrow, and Masi Oka is on Hawaii Five Oh. Stana Katic (Hana Gitelman from season 1) is the female lead on Castle. Adrian Pasnar does voiceover work as the voice of Iron Man for cartoons.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

KilGrey posted:

And there is the reason why NBC things Heroes Reborn is a great idea, they can reuse all those washed up actors and dont have to pay big bucks.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

KilGrey posted:

Well, there's Zachary Quinto. I'm blaming the renewed interest in continuing Heroes on him becoming kinda movie-famous.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

KilGrey posted:

Nathan is starring on a deeply embarrassing Amazon pilot.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I would like to point out that we live in a world where Heroes is coming back, and yet eight years on instead of a revived The Lost Room all we have is Warehouse 13.

Now that I've reminded myself of that I feel physically ill, as should you.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I would like to point out that we live in a world where Heroes is coming back, and yet eight years on instead of a revived The Lost Room all we have is Warehouse 13.

Now that I've reminded myself of that I feel physically ill, as should you.
I would have liked to see more of The Lost Room, but what the gently caress are you on about? Warehouse 13 started three years after the other two and is about to end.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm watching The Job on Netflix. Somehow, I never heard of it before, and it's only one season so I'm guessing a lot of people didn't watch it ever.

It's really good though, I have no idea why it would have failed. It's about Denis Leary being a House-type pill-popping NYPD detective, back when Denis Leary was at his prime of being a funny rear end in a top hat. It's also got a bunch of other people I recognize in it.

Also, the first episode ends with Denis Leary spelling "Jiggleypuff" to someone on the phone. I won't even tell you why he's doing it.

So yeah watch it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Most of About a Boy was fine considering the low expectations I had following Sepinwall's review, but my god the last few minutes was just some of the worst television I've ever seen. What were they thinking...

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Don't want to get spoiled in the 24 thread, so asking this question here:

My wife and I are 22 hours into the first season of 24. We are enjoying it due to the format being really cool, Jack Bauer being ridiculous, and Palmer owning whatever room he's in. However, some of the twists and mini-storylines are testing our patience - the amnesia storyline in particular being the height of ridiculous time-stalls in a show that stalls for time a lot.

My question is, how does the show age in the rest of the seasons? Is season 1 the high point? It's a show that takes a lot of time to watch so we don't want to dive into season 2 if it's just worse or a rehash of S1. Thanks!

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Lord Of Texas posted:

Don't want to get spoiled in the 24 thread, so asking this question here:

My wife and I are 22 hours into the first season of 24. We are enjoying it due to the format being really cool, Jack Bauer being ridiculous, and Palmer owning whatever room he's in. However, some of the twists and mini-storylines are testing our patience - the amnesia storyline in particular being the height of ridiculous time-stalls in a show that stalls for time a lot.

My question is, how does the show age in the rest of the seasons? Is season 1 the high point? It's a show that takes a lot of time to watch so we don't want to dive into season 2 if it's just worse or a rehash of S1. Thanks!

I think seasons 2 to 4 keep up the quality of season 1. There are stupid plot points in each and every one of them, mostly involving Kim, but hey, what can you do. Be prepared that season 1 is kinda low key concerning the threads Jack faces compared to the later seasons.
The show starts to drop in quality massively starting with season 5. People will tell you that season 5 is cool because of the president and his storyline, but at that point the show really just stopped being exciting at all for me. It's still got the twists and shoot-outs and explosion and so on, but it all feels old. None of the twists surprise you anymore. It then reaches its absolute nadir with the godawful season 6, and while season 7 and 8 are a bit better, I still think you'd be happier if you stopped watching after season 4.

EDIT: I really am excited for the mini-series though. A few years off the air, a new setting and the new format (which hopefully means we won't have too much filler) might be enough for a few hours of great television.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 23, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HorseRenoir posted:

Hey, do you guys like "Heroes"? No?

Well, NBC's got some news for you!

Where does it come from? This quest, this need to relive terrible choices when the greatest of shows can never be renewed. Why are we still here? What is pilot season? Why do we dream that we are still worth watching? Perhaps we’d be better off not trying at all. Not greenlighting, not spec-reading. That’s NBC's nature. The network's heart. That is why we are back.

H E R O E S

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

lelandjs posted:

Where does it come from? This quest, this need to relive terrible choices when the greatest of shows can never be renewed. Why are we still here? What is pilot season? Why do we dream that we are still worth watching? Perhaps we’d be better off not trying at all. Not greenlighting, not spec-reading. That’s NBC's nature. The network's heart. That is why we are back.

H E R O E S

NBC has given up on making it 1997 again, so I guess they'll settle for trying to make it 2007 again.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DominoDancing posted:

I still think you'd be happier if you stopped watching after season 4.

To be honest, season 4 is kind of a drag after the first four episodes.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

DominoDancing posted:

I think seasons 2 to 4 keep up the quality of season 1. There are stupid plot points in each and every one of them, mostly involving Kim, but hey, what can you do. Be prepared that season 1 is kinda low key concerning the threads Jack faces compared to the later seasons.
The show starts to drop in quality massively starting with season 5. People will tell you that season 5 is cool because of the president and his storyline, but at that point the show really just stopped being exciting at all for me. It's still got the twists and shoot-outs and explosion and so on, but it all feels old. None of the twists surprise you anymore. It then reaches its absolute nadir with the godawful season 6, and while season 7 and 8 are a bit better, I still think you'd be happier if you stopped watching after season 4.

EDIT: I really am excited for the mini-series though. A few years off the air, a new setting and the new format (which hopefully means we won't have too much filler) might be enough for a few hours of great television.

Thanks! Good to hear we've got a ton to get through before it drops in quality. The fact that we've gotten through 22 full-length episodes without turning it off yet is a testament in and of itself.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The amnesia thing is just the beginning. There is so much more from where that came from.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Every season of 24 has at least 1 totally retarded, awful plotline, it's pretty much a tradition. It has plenty of retarded, unbelievable but totally awesome plotlines too.

Season 2 and onwards pick up the stakes and crazy a lot.

Seasons 1-3 are all great (Minus Kims S2 story, just FF through that, you won't miss anything). Season 4 is a step down IMO but still good, S5 is the best, S6 is 95% awful, S7 divides a lot of fans but I thought it was great and S8 drags terribly in the middle but pulls it together for the last act.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I literally just remembered the narration that ran throughout Heroes. Also, there's been some crazy revisionist history going on recently with people claiming that the first season is 'good'. No. No it's not. 'Company Man' aside it's still bad and the only reason I can see for people being into it is because it races through plot pretty quick AND it's clearly building to something. After that it goes right off the rails.

Maybe if Tim Kring kept his original idea of Season 2 starting fresh with a new set of characters then it might've been something, but then this is Tim Kring...and he's terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Which season of 24 had TONY OF OF loving NOWHERE?

• Locked thread