Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bought the game with a Vita a couple weeks ago and just beat it, great game. Wish that characters you didn't bring into a dungeon still got experience though. That and the Hollow Forest being bad are the only complaints I have.

Photex posted:

I guess I did too much high school simming I've beat the sub boss and made it to floor 8 but I guess I should back track to around floor 3 and grind

I only ever went into the TV once per dungeon and it worked out fine. Even if you're underleveled you'll be fine if you're exploiting weaknesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I put aside my P4G ng++++ or whatever to try to play Persona 3 for the first time. I am playing the psp version and this game feels massively different from P4. I don't mean the psp changes, but just the game itself. P4 was all light hearted and p3p is all dark and gloomy. Wonder what p5 will be like.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

cheesetriangles posted:

I put aside my P4G ng++++ or whatever to try to play Persona 3 for the first time. I am playing the psp version and this game feels massively different from P4. I don't mean the psp changes, but just the game itself. P4 was all light hearted and p3p is all dark and gloomy. Wonder what p5 will be like.

Given that red is the primary color theme for Persona 5, I'm going to guess "angry".

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

cheesetriangles posted:

Well Persona 3's primary focus was despair with only a bit of time focussing on overcoming the issue. On the other hand Persona 4 was about tragedy, but more importantly on overcoming and moving past said horrible event.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
5 sounds like its going to be more about being anti-conformist and going against the injustices of society. That would also fit the red color scheme and the anger idea.

3 was about death, 4 was truth, and 5's probably going to be freedom.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I just hope they stay closer to Persona 4 than Persona 3 in terms of characters and overall "feeling". I vastly, vastly prefer the light heartedness of P4 to the grimdark of P3.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

AG3 posted:

I just hope they stay closer to Persona 4 than Persona 3 in terms of characters and overall "feeling". I vastly, vastly prefer the light heartedness of P4 to the grimdark of P3.

I think they've said P5 is definitely going to be closer to P3's darker theme compared to P4's.

Personally I'm just waiting to see what kind of animal character's going to join our party.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of P3, is the psp version the best one? I'm considering giving it a play, and I have access to both that and FES, and people seem a little divided over which is better. I really prefer the direct control of P4 in battles but otherwise, I'd like to hear your guys opinions on the matter.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Speaking of P3, is the psp version the best one? I'm considering giving it a play, and I have access to both that and FES, and people seem a little divided over which is better. I really prefer the direct control of P4 in battles but otherwise, I'd like to hear your guys opinions on the matter.

The direct control of everyone in battle instantly makes the PSP version the best, in my opinion. In addition, there's the option to play as another protagonist.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Persona 3 Portable:
  • Is a bit easier than the PS2 releases due to being able to directly control your teammates in battle, as well as having skill cards.
  • Lets you play as a girl, which comes with a slew of different social links that most people generally agree are better than the male ones.
  • Has no 3D environments outside of dungeoneering - when navigating around town, your character is reduced to a cursor, and all cutscenes are done with visual novel-style talking heads against isometric backgrounds. A lot of people (me included) feel that this sort of severs the player's connection to the game world and makes you feel too far removed from the story. MY IMMERSION etc.
  • Doesn't have the anime cutscenes of the PS2 releases - they're represented either with a few screenshots from the PS2 cutscenes, or just rendered in-engine using aforementioned talking heads.
  • Has a bunch of extra bonus bosses if you care about that.

So it's a toss-up, but my personal opinion is that FES is probably better for a first playthrough, while the girl-route in P3P is better for a second go-around.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

After a while in FES, I actually somewhat enjoyed changing tactics in battle (though quirks of the AI and the battle system make the final boss a goddamn nightmare), but the original One More system is really confusing and hard to go back to (I played P4 first). Even ignoring the combat though, P3P is easily the best version of that game due to the writing of the female protagonist's route.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

The lack of cut scenes and stuff is kind of a bummer, but I like the sound of everything else. Is a female protagonist run a good idea for a first play through?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Not really, but only because male route is canon. There are different s.links and a few minor different plot beats, but female route is better, since they made it post-P4. So if you don't really give a poo poo, then just go for it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

You can do either, but if you do chickmode first, you will then be sort of annoyed at dudemode with how bad most of the writing is.

If it helps your decision, though, you can swap between them during cycles, using a female NG+ file for a male run or vice versa.

The one major weakness of running a female MC is that you have access to The Worst Romance Ever. I love that I cannot find a single person that supports it (please do not ruin this).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The lack of cut scenes and stuff is kind of a bummer, but I like the sound of everything else. Is a female protagonist run a good idea for a first play through?

You could do it, but most people will suggest you do it the original way first.

I say go female because again, it's much, much better written.

e: One of the female route's main issues is that there are two Social Links you have to be really really thorough about and spend time with at every opportunity. The male route isn't quite as stifling.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 23, 2014

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Well, that seals it then, PSP version in ladymode. I'll be sure to drop in and complain about my poor choices.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Well, that seals it then, PSP version in ladymode. I'll be sure to drop in and complain about my poor choices.

It's honestly my favorite of the three games, story and writing-wise. Lady P3P > P4 > Dude P3P/FES, in my opinion. I haven't played The Answer all the way through though, need to do that.

P4, especially Golden, has better gameplay mechanics though.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Oh yeah that's another thing, FES is also the only version of P3 that contains The Answer, which is a playable epilogue to the main game consisting of a whole bunch of dungeon crawling and a maybe a combined total of 1 hour of mediocre story. If you're planning on getting into the P3/P4 spin-offs (or you really like dungeon crawling) you should probably play The Answer, if not then don't bother.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Answer is legitimately awful. There are two good songs on its soundtrack and that's it.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

MrAristocrates posted:

The Answer is legitimately awful. There are two good songs on its soundtrack and that's it.

I liked the boss battles a lot :shobon:

I'm not gonna pretend the story was good, but I don't get the incredible hate-boner that people have for it. It was just mediocre storytelling, it didn't eat your children.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Maybe I'm remembering things wrong, but I seriously can't think of a single thing The Answer added to P3's plot that's of relevance. I think it can be totally skipped, and you won't miss out on a thing. Well it does introduce Erebus, but it can be described in a single sentence. Check this out:

Erebus is a monster made up of the negative emotions of people and is trying to break Minato's seal so it can free Nyx.

That's everything you need to know about Erebus.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

MrAristocrates posted:

Yeah I played the first hour or so and just couldn't keep slogging through. Basically all I needed to carry away was A: Atlus likes Aigis a lot more than I do and B: MC turned themselves into a big dumb door that holds all the evil away except maybe not really???

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Honestly I vastly prefer the way P3P handles getting around the world. There's a lot of pointless running around and getting lost early on otherwise (god I wish SMT4 just had a menu that warped you from dungeon to dungeon). There's really not much reason to get a different version of the game, there's an LP of The Answer if you want that.

Is Persona 4 Arena worth the effort? I got it on sale and beat the main character's first act and started on Yukiko's and thus far I am not impressed. The fighting isn't particularly fun and so far the story beats for the characters seem to be the same (beat up Yosuke -> meet council president -> etc).

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Honestly I vastly prefer the way P3P handles getting around the world. There's a lot of pointless running around and getting lost early on otherwise (god I wish SMT4 just had a menu that warped you from dungeon to dungeon). There's really not much reason to get a different version of the game, there's an LP of The Answer if you want that.

Is Persona 4 Arena worth the effort? I got it on sale and beat the main character's first act and started on Yukiko's and thus far I am not impressed. The fighting isn't particularly fun and so far the story beats for the characters seem to be the same (beat up Yosuke -> meet council president -> etc).

Yeah, I love the menu-based fast travel in the portables. Not having to climb the stairs to Minako's dorm room is worth the price of admission itself, almost.

There are some similarities in the stories in P4A, especially the P4 core quartet, as you mentioned. Basically everyone else gets their own schtick and even the main 4 get an "act 2" that starts to spread out. If you finish Yukiko's story you'll unlock a lot more characters to play as in story mode.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The main four have roughly the same story, Kanji's story is hilariously different, and Naoto's is pretty informative. The P3 cast's story is a little different though roughly the same between them, and the class president's story is completely different.

If the gameplay isn't grabbing you, though, just watch Feinne's LP of the game instead.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alright, thanks guys. I'll try sticking with it a little longer and switching to that LP if it doesn't get interesting enough.

Gentleman Owl
Apr 29, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Yeah I played the first hour or so and just couldn't keep slogging through. Basically all I needed to carry away was A: Atlus likes Aigis a lot more than I do and B: MC turned themselves into a big dumb door that holds all the evil away except maybe not really???

P3/FES spoilers:

Nyx only kills all humans (the Fall) because that's what she thinks they want. Eberus is the manifestation of humanity's desire to end it all (see: the last few weeks of P3). MC became a barrier between the two, because if Eberus reaches Nyx then humanity is wiped out. That's why MC's stuck as the Great Seal, because even if someone beats Eberus humanity still wants to kill itself so Eberus will just reform. This isn't really relevant for P4, but in P4/P4A we see Elizabeth has left the Velvet Room and is trying to find a way to free P3MC without killing everyone.

In a nutshell, Nyx is a nuke, Eberus is someone punching in the arming code and MC has become one of those little plastic "pull before use" tabs separating the batteries from the circuitry.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Instant Grat posted:

I liked the boss battles a lot :shobon:

I'm not gonna pretend the story was good, but I don't get the incredible hate-boner that people have for it. It was just mediocre storytelling, it didn't eat your children.

I got FES thinking "MORE PERSONA 3!" And then played The Answer and found it it was not, in fact, more Persona3. It was a punishing series of dungeons broken up by almost 0 story and none of the non-combat stuff. Enemies with weaknesses had Evade *Weakness* skill so that you had a chance to hit their weakness or a chance to miss entirely. The story stuff was also kind of pointless and doesn't really illuminate anything from P3 other than clarifying bits of the ending. I dunno I didn't like it, and this is coming from someone who has P3, P4, P3FES, P3P, and P4G sooooo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I thought Answer was fine if you went into it knowing what it was and not expecting it to be another 80 long epic with tons of story and character development.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I got FES thinking "MORE PERSONA 3!" And then played The Answer and found it it was not, in fact, more Persona3. It was a punishing series of dungeons broken up by almost 0 story and none of the non-combat stuff.

Yes. I was a great big Aigis fan and I really wanted Persona 3: Robot Waifu edition, and not.... all that poo poo you said.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Endorph posted:

I thought Answer was fine if you went into it knowing what it was and not expecting it to be another 80 long epic with tons of story and character development.
I just don't understand why they decided the best way to make it more difficult was to remove gameplay features like the compendium. Or why the only way to equip party members is to talk to them. Surely a better balance could have been struck.

The story was also a mess, with some characters like Yukari becoming insufferable. I'm in agreement that The Answer produced a few nice songs but was otherwise a waste of time.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Nate RFB posted:

Or why the only way to equip party members is to talk to them. Surely a better balance could have been struck.

The story was also a mess, with some characters like Yukari becoming insufferable. I'm in agreement that The Answer produced a few nice songs but was otherwise a waste of time.

Well, having to talk to your teamates felt like, along the fact you could never direct them, that were were your teamates, not an extention of your body. They were their own individuals. Same reason for gaining tactics as you went one: SEES learnt to act as a team better and better as time went on. It's quite a pain at time, and I get why they dropped it in P4, but it feels coherent.
Regarding Yukari's behaviour in The Answer, I thought it made sense if you interpret it as her PTSDing after the events of the main game. In fact, that's for me the one good thing in The Answer, barring the few nice songs: How it got accross, especially in the beginning that everyone in the party is mentally fragilised to an extent. Sadly, it's drowned in a lot of other drivels, but I think it would have made the plot far better if it focused more on them dealing with the aftermath of P3 and having to move on from their days as SEES.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So why not force you to talk to teammates in The Journey to change their equipment? How well do you think that would have gone over? Why did they decide to drop the "Tactics" portion in P3P if it was so necessary to the narrative?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

So why not force you to talk to teammates in The Journey to change their equipment? How well do you think that would have gone over? Why did they decide to drop the "Tactics" portion in P3P if it was so necessary to the narrative?

I think it can be both, when I first played vanilla Persona 3 I really felt like SEES was my team and not the party I had control over. It was because of things like not being able to equip and control them, or only getting a game over if you specifically die. Your character spent the majority of day to day life on his own making his own friends, instead of wandering around in a 9 person mass like an FF game. I thought it was pretty effective with what it was saying, but at the same time it didn't make for the best gameplay. P4 had a bit more freedom in designing boss battles because they assumed you could control your party and say, tell everyone to Guard instead of in P3 when you had to helplessly watch Junpei's weakness get smacked over and over, or actually use buffs and debuffs in a bossfight instead of sort of hope your party decided they wanted to. Or make Mitsuru, my strongest magical attacker, actually ATTACK things instead of try to charm them once again.

Basically I get what they were trying to say but they went a bit overboard with the messaging

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Honestly, as much as I whined about the AI in P3P while I was playing it, it wasn't as bad as it could have been, and probably could have been pretty okay if Mitsuru didn't have such an obsession with Marin Karin.

The AI at the final boss though. Holy loving moly, I almost had an aneurysm. Who thought Moonless Gown was a good idea in a game where you can't control your teammates directly?

Also I read an LP and thought The Answer's story was "just okay" but gently caress I'm not doing another several hours of consecutive dungeon running. And no Compendium? gently caress that.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 24, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think it can be both, when I first played vanilla Persona 3 I really felt like SEES was my team and not the party I had control over. It was because of things like not being able to equip
Wait I was being sarcastic, you really couldn't equip party members in The Journey through a menu in vanilla P3? :psyduck:

It's functionally the same thing as doing it through a menu! Just with fewer extra steps. If they wanted to go all out with this concept they should've just removed the ability to equip anything and leave it all up to the party members' "discretion".

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Nate RFB posted:

It's functionally the same thing as doing it through a menu! Just with fewer extra steps. If they wanted to go all out with this concept they should've just removed the ability to equip anything and leave it all up to the party members' "discretion".

They will sometimes change their own equipment and give you back whatever you put on them last, saying "thanks for letting me borrow this" or somesuch.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I liked the fact that you had to talk to your dudes to change their stuff, personally. Like others have said, it really made it seem like they were coherent individuals. Similarly, I liked (in theory if sometimes not in practice) the fact that the team all had their own outside stuff going, their own non-SEES friends and stories, which would occasionally not allow them to go on field missions. People had club activities, or had to cram for a test, or got a girlfriend and decided they didn't need Monster Death Club anymore, or just decided to be a lame jealous idiot for most of early summer. Contrast that with 4 where you can equip everyone at any point, no one seems to have any interactions outside the party. Almost everyone in the party (except Chie?) has a job. Presumably they all have friends that aren't Persona users. Is there any evidence of this besides a couple of Junes scenes? I don't know. It's just a personal preference thing. Maybe P5 will strike a balance between the two.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kanji I guess hangs out with Naoki, though you have to go through some hoops to see the scenes I think. The thing is that it's fine that they don't really have friends outside of the party, because unlike SEES they are friends with each other in the first place.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

Wait I was being sarcastic, you really couldn't equip party members in The Journey through a menu in vanilla P3? :psyduck:

You in fact could not.

Going to P3 from P4 if you've never played P3 first really throws people off in funny ways.

Instant Grat posted:

They will sometimes change their own equipment and give you back whatever you put on them last, saying "thanks for letting me borrow this" or somesuch.

For some reason they'll do this and downgrade too, especially if you give them the 'joke' weapons like the Toy Bow which can be way stronger than what they can get at that time normally.

• Locked thread