Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Roll Next
(With Heavy Sigh, Simply Simon, Loco, and Assoonasitis)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Heavy Sigh posted:

Roll Next

How garish.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Heavy Sigh posted:

Roll Next

A-at least it's better than Mari06?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Ow. My eyes.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

Edward_Tohr posted:

A-at least it's better than Mari06?

I don't know about that. I mean, Mari06 was being intentionally stupid, like, ironically. I... don't think this game was done ironically.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
I think that was the creepiest game I've seen on the internet. There was just something so... Wrong, about it. :catstare:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I think this is the first time an LP has made me physically ill :barf:

Mazo Panku
Nov 30, 2013

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?
Easily the worst thing involving DDR music since the iPhone version of DDR.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Just imagine this sentence is actually something crudely edited in GIMP and has Sonic and a stopwatch in it.

Sonic Robo Blast 2 - Time Attack Mode (with HiipFire and Heavy Sigh)

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN
I have never been physically hurt by a game before now...so welcome to the next gen.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I was wondering if I can contribute to this thread.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

nendymion posted:

Go right ahead! We have an open-door policy for all kinds of contributions!

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

nendymion posted:

Please contribute to the thread. Everyone's arms and legs are chafing from the mircophone cords Heavy Sigh tied them with.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

"I should be able to hack in ultra-hyper-sonic".
Be careful what you wish for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTeUlJKqHi4

A glimpse into Youtube in 2006.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

As far as custom characters go, your range of customisation is limited to appearance, whether they have thok, glide/climb or flying and a couple of stats like speed and acceleration. The thing where he's thokking over and over again in the air is just what Sonic did in that version.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If the Bad Religion is part of the mod that's sort of hilarious.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hammurabi posted:

I don't know about that. I mean, Mari06 was being intentionally stupid, like, ironically. I... don't think this game was done ironically.

You are going to be so unhappy.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Stink Terios posted:

"I should be able to hack in ultra-hyper-sonic".
Be careful what you wish for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTeUlJKqHi4

A glimpse into Youtube in 2006.

Eight years later and OpenGL mode is still unstable enough to require warnings.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Good Day.

Have you ever wondered what would happen if you could start a mario game off as raccoon mario and let that be your base form? Well wonder no more.

I bring you Super Mario Dream World 2 Part 1

If anyone wants to help commentate on this game in later videos please let me know.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 23, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Castle Yard Hard Mode: There are a number of skeletons and plants placed through the yard, although they're not a particularly big deal. The hidden sculptor's quarters with all the weapon pickups hosts a nasty surprise- it now has about 12 fleamen in it. The spider miniboss appears unchanged. As mentioned by Heavy Sigh, the spawn rate for eyeballs seems to have been increased. The same is true for the falcon/fleamen/sorceror combo in the latter part of the level- but rushing through, as in the video, is a very viable tactic there. As Heavy Sigh notes, the mazelike section at the middle of the level is a massive stumbling block- I was able to clear the intro end outro sections without significant difficulty, but the maze took me about 12 tries. Many thanks for pointing out the health pickup and the extra life- they made doing this possible. Liese may have more health, but was not very difficult-I cleared her first try(thank goodness). Hard mode increases the number of purple hearts that appear during the timed instant damage section. The purple timed skull does a ton of damage, but it's not an instant kill.

Dodging attacks by the water statues isn't that bad if you have some space: you just need to wait until the last second to begin to dodge. The living water fountain near the beginning works the same way, so you can safely negotiate it by continuously walking in one direction. I've also discovered a small trick for whatever the advanced forms of the evil plants are called- when they move upward, you can safely get right in their face- their seeds will fire harmlessly over your head.

It appears that red skeletons in Hard Mode have a respawn time of about 2 seconds- the Maze of Curtains is going to be a real pain, since so far it appears to have been filled with the darn things, plus added fleamen.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 23, 2014

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Speaking of pain...

The Lecarde Chronicles #12: Torture Chambers
(Heavy Sigh and Simply Simon)

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Most of these games are an affront to my childhood but I can't stop looking at them.
Except for Roll Next. I'll never be getting that 7 minutes back.

Assoonasitits
Dec 11, 2007

I guess frogout is too polite to simply say "begone".

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Most of these games are an affront to my childhood but I can't stop looking at them.
Except for Roll Next. I'll never be getting that 7 minutes back.

You think that's bad? I watched it twice, and both of those times I had to listen to my own voice.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Heavy Sigh posted:

Speaking of pain...

The Lecarde Chronicles #12: Torture Chambers

There was a holy place here.

It is doomed now.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

Super Mario Dream World 2 Part 2(With Serperoth)

In this episode we go through the desert world and talk a little bit about where some of the music is from and where some of the characters originated from.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Sorry, Double post.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 25, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

nendymion posted:

In this episode we go through the desert world and talk a little bit about where some of the music is from and where some of the characters originated from.

Okay, so out of curiosity I downloaded this drat game. You're half right with the base raccoon suit: If you stand relatively still and hit S when you have a weapon, he'll do the animation of the tail slap. From testing, however, it does jack. Also, I finally worked out the "fly" mechanic of this game, and it's retarded.

See the triangles and the P? That's how many "multi jumps" you have. It takes an absurdly long time to reset, doesn't seem to reset by running, and the secondary jumps? Not actually jumps, just stalls.

If it weren't for the fact the early levels seem to have no challenge at all, I have no idea how you'd get through this.

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

It is surprising how much space is needed to 'swing a cat'!

nendymion posted:

I've noticed that both of your guests have commented that the boss music is from Final Fantasy. While that's certainly correct, I think the fan game creator was using the rendition from the battle against Culex (the boss behind the sealed door in Monstro Town) in Super Mario RPG. I actually went to check if this version and the Final Fantasy IV music were different, and there actually are some differences. The percussion is more noticeable in the Super Mario RPG rendition, whereas the brass is more pronounced in Final Fantasy IV's version. I think there are slight tempo differences, too.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It's also the only song so far in this game that takes less then 5 seconds to start back up once it's over. Every other song takes up to 30 seconds to load back in once it's done playing. and thanks for the information on the tail slap. I'll have to work that into a future video.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Let's see what the greatest mind of Austria can cook up!

The Lecarde Chronicles #13: The Science of Sorcery

doublegomez
Jun 23, 2010
The music you were wondering about was the Tower of Science music from Castlevania 64.
And the music during the chess peices fight was also from that game.

I knew this would be a reference to the Tower of Science when i saw the name, but this looked way more fun to play than Castlevania 64 was.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Exciting Boss Battle for the first star ahead....

Super Mario Dream World 2 Part 3: The Red Tower (with E-Tank)

In this episode we take on the vile red tower. We also learn the life lesson of don't die before you collect your mcguffin.

In all honesty this was going to be the point where I would have let the thread choose which way we were going to go. However after going to the slightly less green land to the north I discovered there was a rock on the bridge on it's eastern side which required more rocks than the slightly less green land would have provided. So in order to advance past slightly less green land I have to go through purple land first.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 27, 2014

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Step back to some happier days...

The Lecarde Chronicles #14: The Place That Forgot Time

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
What's actually changed, based on your video, is that all normal skeletons now have the kamikaze attack on destruction. The antlered skeletons die like normal.

I have a guess on Owzer, based on this thread. Apparently, Owzer (in FF3) was originally based on the tale of Dorian Grey. The weird name choice is what happens when you translate a proper noun name back and forth from Japanese three or so times, with Woolsley, the latest translator, getting no hint of the original inspiration. MIG somehow knows all this and made an obscure reference using this faceless character, who is similarly an indirect inspiration from the same story.

Curtain maze Hard Mode: Additional red skeletons are in abundance here- particularly on narrow platforms that have to be jumped to. The midboss statues have two of the carpet monsters spawn during the fight, making the benches the only safe place to stand. The boss, whose name I forget, now fires a triple shot of the blood pillars once past half health. The level and boss otherwise appear unchanged.

vvvvvv No, see, it all makes sense, if you'll just read this fanfiction I wrote...

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 1, 2014

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

Discendo Vox posted:

I have a guess on Owzer, based on this thread. Apparently, Owzer (in FF3) was originally based on the tale of Dorian Grey. The weird name choice is what happens when you translate a proper noun name back and forth from Japanese three or so times, with Woolsley, the latest translator, getting no hint of the original inspiration. MIG somehow knows all this and made an obscure reference using this faceless character, who is similarly an indirect inspiration from the same story.

...reading that, I am going to stick with the 'family member no one likes' theory.

Dithiannim
Nov 8, 2012

Toadette Strikes Back

Thunder Dragon, you magnificent bastard.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
IT'S MAELSTORMM TIME AGAIN

Megaman X Next
(HEAVY SIGH, LOCO, SIMPLY SIMON, and ASSOONASITIS)

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
It's pretty depressing how so many of these fangames use Guilty Gear music in a way that makes it sound loving awful.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

Benach posted:

It's pretty depressing how so many of these fangames use Guilty Gear music in a way that makes it sound loving awful.

Wait, you recognized some of this junk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
There's also Mario music whenever Rick is in the cutscenes. He's not just a Mary Sue - he's the flagship Mary Sue.