Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

For recipe organization, I use MyCookbook (android app and website). It allows you to scale recipes, input things from a computer or a phone, and my favorite feature, it will auto-scrape a lot of recipe websites from your home browser. Just click a bookmarklet, then it adds the recipe to your account and syncs it to your phone. It also has shopping list management.

That would actually be great since all my recipes are bookmarks. It will make them all into the same format?

Eh, not free but it might be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

goodness posted:

That would actually be great since all my recipes are bookmarks. It will make them all into the same format?

Eh, not free but it might be worth it.

It's free, but there is a premium option. I don't pay for MCB.

Yeah, it'll convert them to paragraph blocks that are formatted the same, and you can categorize them. The categorization feature isn't as in depth as, say, Calibre's library, but the neat features make up for it IMO, like scaling.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It's free, but there is a premium option. I don't pay for MCB.

Yeah, it'll convert them to paragraph blocks that are formatted the same, and you can categorize them. The categorization feature isn't as in depth as, say, Calibre's library, but the neat features make up for it IMO, like scaling.

The free one only holds 5 recipes it said.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

goodness posted:

The free one only holds 5 recipes it said.

That's weird, I have 25 on mine right now.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That's weird, I have 25 on mine right now.

Maybe you signed on before they changed it or something? Either way, I need space for 200 recipes haha.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

I'm not sure how you'd get it to stay flat and thin as a chip should be without breaking apart while deep fried.

Maybe put it through a pasta roller? Or smash it in a tortilla press?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've bought a 1kg beef topside roast and normally I'd cook it for 20 minutes at 230C and then 20 minutes per 500kg at 160C. The problem is that its fairly thin. Its like 2.5 inches thick maybe and I'm worried this cooking method might overcook it since its kind of long and narrow. I've a thermapen and could just do the hot cast iron + oven method reserved for steak anyway so what temperature should I am for and would following that cooking method be a bad idea anyway?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Chard posted:

I was at the shop earlier and on a whim i picked up a bag of "beanitos" as a snack. They're pretty drat good but a little pricey, and they seem simple enough that I want to try recreating them. So far the only results Google is giving me are just idiot gluten-free blogs reviewing them and recipes using them out of the bag.

The only ingredients are navy beans, whole grain rice, sunflower/safflower oil, guar bean gum, and seasalt. They're similar in texture to tortilla chips but a little thinner and more brittle, and less salty. If I can figure this out I'll make them all the time, but I've never made chips and I don't know where to begin. Ideally they will still be low-ish fat so probably no frying. Any tips?

OK. So the beans would be beans. The "whole grain rice" is likely brown rice flour. The bean gum is to make it stick together without adding gluten. Either that, or they're using bean flour, which is a thing that's sold out there.

SA Emoticon Theater
Mar 13, 2010
Hey,

I was watching the Racheal Ray show the other day, and she started talking about something called "ATE-A-MOMMY".

What the HELL?

:confused:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

SA Emoticon Theater posted:

Hey,

I was watching the Racheal Ray show the other day, and she started talking about something called "ATE-A-MOMMY".

What the HELL?

:confused:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edamame

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone have any good jerky recipes? Looking for something like sriracha style or sweet/spicy or carne seca or basil lime.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.

Take a guess at how many times I ate this before figuring out that you don't eat the shell.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

why do white people love freezing tofu so much?

This is from forever ago, but I like the weird spongy texture this gives the tofu. I like tofu in any form (except cho do fu), though, so don't listen to me.

I want to make lime pickle. The recipe I have tells me to leave the jar in the sun for a while at some point. My apartment is dark as gently caress and putting something outside is not an option. Is the sunlight meant to provide heat, or does the light itself actually do something vital?

This may be a stupid question. Forgive me, I am not a picklologist.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

bringmyfishback posted:

This is from forever ago, but I like the weird spongy texture this gives the tofu. I like tofu in any form (except cho do fu), though, so don't listen to me.

I want to make lime pickle. The recipe I have tells me to leave the jar in the sun for a while at some point. My apartment is dark as gently caress and putting something outside is not an option. Is the sunlight meant to provide heat, or does the light itself actually do something vital?

This may be a stupid question. Forgive me, I am not a picklologist.

Yeah. If you dry it in the sun, you don't have to add as much salt or oil to preserve it. Find a recipe that doesn't call for the sun part.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Tweek posted:

Take a guess at how many times I ate this before figuring out that you don't eat the shell.

I sometimes do this. It won't kill you and can be fun to chew.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

the littlest prince posted:

I sometimes do this. It won't kill you and can be fun to chew.

hey little pica dude, as long as you're not eating kitty litter you're okay in my book.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Eeyo posted:

I'm no expert, but I think only the final water/fat/sugar ratio should determine the texture of the candies. Usually the water/sugar ratio is approximately a function of the temperature, so 240 would be roughly the same concentration and roughly the same texture each time. Maybe less cream/butter changed that? It may have gotten super brown if you took a long time to get to the final temperature, the cream and sugars will do their caramelization or maillard or whatever is going on while it's heating. My recommendation would be to use the ratios in the recipe and cook it fairly fast to the final temp, that's worked for me in the past. This may have less of a caramel flavor, but you can play with that after you get the texture correct.

What kind of thermometer are you using by the way? Is it a digital one or an analog one? I used a mid-ranged digital one when I made mine since I find it hard to get an accurate read from the candy thermometers. If you go that route I'd recommend only continuously taking the temperature for the last ~10 degrees or so. Prolonged exposure to the steam may damage the thermometer or your hand. And make sure you're not bottoming out the thermometer on the pan and that you don't check the same spot each time to avoid measuring hot spots instead of the true temperature.

I failed the first like 2 times I did it, so don't be too discouraged. Once I took it above the 248 degrees in the recipe and it turned out like toffee. The next time it was very loose and still not good. I finally got the temperature dialed in perfectly and they were firm but still chewable. Candy can be fairly sensitive to temperature and technique, so don't give up just yet, sometimes getting things right takes a little bit of time.

Thank you! I'll try it again. Am using an analog thermometer but was careful to keep it off of the bottom / move it around to check temps etc.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

I found some plastic gadget while cleaning out my kitchen utensil drawer and even though it is probably some stupid garbage, I kinda want to know what it is. Anyone know?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm trying to make some kind of chicken noodle soup in my slow cooker, how would you recommend cooking the noodles? Are they OK to throw in at the start with everything else or would it be better to cook them partially first, then add them to the pot towards the end?

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

The second one. Slow cooked noodles turn to mush.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
e: oops

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tweek posted:

The second one. Slow cooked noodles turn to mush.

That's what I was thinking. How would you recommend cooking them then, throwing them uncooked in the cooker for the last 20 minutes or so?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Boil them to al dente separately and add to the bowl of soup right before you eat.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

C-Euro posted:

That's what I was thinking. How would you recommend cooking them then, throwing them uncooked in the cooker for the last 20 minutes or so?

just cook them normally for the 5-9 minutes it takes, depending on the kind of pasta

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What other ways can one cook Korean short ribs if they do not have a charcoal/gas grill?
I ask because the asian mart sells them for a crazy cheap price.

Also, are (thin) cast iron woks good, or should I still look for a high carbon steel one as AB recommends?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mister Macys posted:

What other ways can one cook Korean short ribs if they do not have a charcoal/gas grill?
I ask because the asian mart sells them for a crazy cheap price.

Also, are (thin) cast iron woks good, or should I still look for a high carbon steel one as AB recommends?

I think it has to do with how you want to heat to distribute when you use a wok. Not knowing overly much, I'd suggest you use the steel ones.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

You can always just braise shortrib.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Tweek posted:

Thank god I'm not the only one who did this. First time I got to try these someone else at the table had ordered them as an appetizer to share. Bowl came to me first, grabbed a pod and just started chewing. It was unpleasant.

Trillian posted:

I found some plastic gadget while cleaning out my kitchen utensil drawer and even though it is probably some stupid garbage, I kinda want to know what it is. Anyone know?

It almost looks like a knife rest, but I doubt it would have the big half circle in the middle if that were the case.

It really looks more like a part to a larger piece of machinery.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought it was a knife sharpener, because my chef had one in culinary school, but I can't see any blades inside of it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Risotto tips/remarks? I made my second one yesterday, similar to the first, but I learned the following:

Use a little cream. Didn't use any this time, and it wasn't quite as creamy (surprise)
Don't use any water, use all chicken stock/broth. This time I used about 50/50. Wasn't quite as dark and lacked just a wee bit of flavor compared to last time

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Risotto tips/remarks? I made my second one yesterday, similar to the first, but I learned the following:

Use a little cream. Didn't use any this time, and it wasn't quite as creamy (surprise)
Don't use any water, use all chicken stock/broth. This time I used about 50/50. Wasn't quite as dark and lacked just a wee bit of flavor compared to last time

I'm also learning to risotto right now (3 times in) and here's the process I do:

In saute pan, saute onions or shallots in a mix of butter and oil. If mushroom risotto, add mushroom pieces after the onions have gone translucent and wilt them
Add rice (arborio! made it with a medium grain the first time and it remained crunchy), cook for a minute, stirring constantly to not burn
Deglaze with dry white wine, and stir until all liquid has been absorbed or evaporated
Begin adding chicken stock that's been sitting in small saucepan barely simmering, a little bit at a time, until all is incorporated and rice is al dente
Add cream and grated parmesan, or other bits (chopped up pre-cooked asparagus et al) and cook until warm through

Most of the flavor seems to come directly from the chicken stock, so the better quality = the better risotto. I'd also love to hear any tips from people more experienced in the dish

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I prefer my risotto simple and clean and always make it with straight water. Toast your rice in a touch of oil for a minute, but don't actually let it get brown. Add a substantial quantity of water and let it boil hard for eight minutes or so until the water is mostly gone. Stir vigorously, taste, season, add a smaller portion of water, cook it out, taste and season. Do this once more until when you bite a grain of rice only the very center is still hard and gritty. At this point your risotto should be basically dry. Now add a splash of water, a knob of butter and a handful of parmesan. Gently but firmly work the rice with a spatula until the parmesan and butter have melted and add an additional splash of water if you need it looser. If you add too much use a bit of parm to tighten it up. When finished it should be brilliantly glossy from the butter, thick and creamy from the parm and butter/water emulsion but it should only barely support its own weight, and the rice should only just barely be cooked through.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

Sounds almost like you're making a pilaf.

In my experience the point of risotto is to continuously stir it while adding liquid a bit at a time to rub starch off into the cooking liquid and make a contiguous creamy gloop.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I dated a girl named Pilar for a while; for the longest time whenever I would write her name in a letter I'd end up giving her, I'd be slightly concerned that I'd end up spelling it as Pilaf by accident.

I quite enjoyed both things, and my writing is none too neat, you see. Just to let you guys know.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Tweek posted:

In my experience the point of risotto is to continuously stir it while adding liquid a bit at a time to rub starch off into the cooking liquid and make a contiguous creamy gloop.

I figured the continuous stirring while uncovered didn't need mentioning. Pilaf method is covered after sweating the rice and adding stock, no?

Edit: reverting back to original post where I'm not being a huge defensive bitch

phthalocyanine fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 25, 2014

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

phthalocyanine posted:

I figured the continuous stirring while uncovered didn't need mentioning. Pilaf method is covered after sweating the rice and adding stock, no?

I was addressing Psychobabble, and they did not mention continuous stirring.

They also said boil and not simmer, but I won't press the issue.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Sorry, couldn't tell, and got really defensive! I do start my pilaf with sauteed onions and sweating the rice, and cook it in chicken stock, so I jumped to conclusions that made me insecure and cranky.

phthalocyanine fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 25, 2014

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Tweek posted:

I have made more risotto in my life than you could imagine. There is no need for continual stirring. The rice has to actually cook before the starches on the outside are able to be agitated off. You let the pan go nearly dry so that the grains cause friction in and of themselves that releases the outer starch. Stirring it constantly is for elderly Italian grandmothers, not professional chefs.

And as you're aware, my method resembles pilaf in nothing more than parching of the rice which is the first step in every risotto. Don't be stupid.

Ed- and yes, boil. Simmering does nothing other than make the process slower.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

There are two schools of making risotto and there can never be peace between those two factions. Never!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
I have some dried wild mushrooms from last fall that were stored in a loosely-closed brown bag. They're a bit flexible. They look okay. How safe would these be to reconstitute and eat?