Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Is there a list of all the vehicles an Air Raider can call? I just got my first helicopter and I'm super-excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

rawdog pozfail posted:

Doing some hard online coop (level 16 now) on 360. Message gimea rubdown or join through the metatag

e: full

I totally wanna get in on this later but first I have to go get dinner, I'll be back on in an hour or so, so if a spot opens up throw me an invite.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

ChibiSoma posted:

What's a good weapon for a Wing Diver to go along with Plasma? I've just been taking the starter Plasma launcher and finding upgrades to it. Think I'm on an E4. Found a Dual launcher but it shoots out in a completely useless V-shape. I need a weapon that doesn't take energy from the WD's supply, if possible. Not sure what all's good to use for them yet.

I like Thunder snipers, since the constant-beam rifles drain energy too quick, but it's a bad combo for soloing.
Here's a sweet tip once you start seeing dropships; Wing Divers can actually fly up into the hatches and get locked inside of them. This probably also applies to anything else with hatches, so long as your jets can get you there. While you cannot do damage while they're closed, you can start dealing damage immediately when they start to open. I did a mission with a group online on Hard with about 5 low-flying ones on a beach (the Mothership makes an appearance here too) and beelined straight up to the hatches to annihilate them with a laser lance...when I got sealed inside of one and learned this.
They were all destroyed literally before anyone else could even fire a shot at them.

I'm about due for a plasma launcher upgrade myself since the E4 is pretty much still one of my go-to weapons when playing online in Normal (and the lower-levels of hard). It is a very solid weapon and you're unlikely to find a good upgrade soon unless you dive into the higher difficulties.

Those "focus snipers" as I like to call them are all garbage, even the more advanced versions that I have available. They have range...at the cost of draining (pretty high, at that) directly from energy and they have terrible damage; Thunder Snipers pretty much always out-DPS them anyway, and some of the special snipers available (Monster is very powerful for a Lv.10 weapon but it will pretty much force you to recharge every shot, and Raijin is exceptional for a Lv.30 weapon in general.) if you snipe with Wing, which you really shouldn't be doing a whole lot. I find them to be very powerful in the close-mid range zones, and a lot of their good weapons are skewed towards these ranges. That said, the LAZR-series of focus-lasers are actually decent when you realize that they're doing the listed damage 60 times per second and have the ability to keep your crosshair focused on the thing you want dead. They also tend to have a very high capacity and don't drain a whole lot of power when they reload, making them a solid choice in place of a Rapier or a Laser Lance, especially as you earn more advanced versions of them.

Some good mid-range weapons include the Thunder Bow 10, 20, etc (I assume there's more in increments of 10). They're like electro-shotguns, except the shots have a very tight spread and surprisingly good range. The Thunder Bow 15, 25 (again I assume there's more ending in *5) has a much looser spread, but is exceptional at taking down aircraft. The Idunn series of Electroshock guns are fantastic as well, essentially being an equivalent to an assault rifle. I have pretty much wrote-off the Particle guns entirely; their shots are influenced by your movement direction, which is rarely useful. They have decent power, though, and maybe I'm missing something, as I've never tried the wide or multi-shot versions of them.

On Rapiers and Lances, there are versions of them that do not draw from your power supply, but you're not going to like the early ones (I am assuming there are more advanced versions of them in the higher weaponlevels that are significantly improved) because they come with some exceptionally long reload times, to tune of 20 seconds or more. Other weapons that never drain from supply while reloading seem quite rare, but they do exist.

I'm not very impressed with the homing-type lock-on weapons that I have available, they either don't do enough damage (Mirage), or the projectile is too slow (Geist). I've never tried the Psiblade homing weapon, it does good damage and is fast, but requires a good amount of room for the homing to kick in. The special weapons, like Pandora, Psi Cluster, and such are situationally useful, but are also amazingly good in those situations.

Still loving Wing Diver, so much so that my other classes are suffering in the sweet guns department. My Air Raider still has garbage. My Ranger still has garbage, so the consequence of focusing on one class are being pigeonholed into playing only that class for any of the harder missions.

quote:

A Wing Diver who leave a Rapier at home is a shameful little bitch.
I counter this by saying that a Rapier is terrible for killing flying drones and I prefer a Laser Lance for those occasions.

quote:

Air Tortoises cure Retariuses.
So do Snipers.

quote:

Give the Wing Divers an actual voice-acted phrase for the EDF shouts.
Also give us the ability to sing those war chants.

quote:

2. Those red air things just have too much health. It's not fun, it's annoying.
Try Sniping.

e: Psiblade is pretty awesome.

A Pleasant Hug fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 23, 2014

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh lord. I'm going to have to try flying into a transport next time I'm playing online, if for no other reason than to hear people ask if I'm stuck inside of them. I finally got a Thunder Sniper A drop. Up 'til now I've had the Proto Thunder and the Thunder B, which tends to be too high for most under-stage-15 groups.

Had a brain fart when doing that 3-transports mission, though. Got a lower level Pandora and decided, without paying attention, "Hey, this is a terrible idea, a Pandora and the Dual Plasma Launcher! :downs:"

At least I was extremely good at clearing ants, because that's just about all I did that mission!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Is there a specific reason I sometimes can't revive teammates (or they, me)? It seems pretty arbitrary

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

Fuligin posted:

Is there a specific reason I sometimes can't revive teammates (or they, me)? It seems pretty arbitrary

You can't revive someone if your health is in the red.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Neo Helbeast posted:

I totally wanna get in on this later but first I have to go get dinner, I'll be back on in an hour or so, so if a spot opens up throw me an invite.

There's a spot open now, try to join through the metatag whenever you get back!

burnaboy
Jun 2, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Add Jahall001 on PSN to play games. I am usually on in the evenings.
I use my forum name ingame

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

FartRomancer.EXE posted:

You can't revive someone if your health is in the red.

Ahh, thanks

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Seiren posted:

I counter this by saying that a Rapier is terrible for killing flying drones and I prefer a Laser Lance for those occasions.

Try the rapier thrust series, or a thunder sniper once those get silly. Later thunder snipers end up shooting 40 bolts at a time and pretty much turn into shotguns that happen to have sniper range.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
Laser targeting my buddies missles is the greatest thing this game has offered me so far.
I love EDF

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
So I just figured out that your battle history in the multiplayer menu gives you all of your stats and tells you how many guns you have.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

dis astranagant posted:

Try the rapier thrust series, or a thunder sniper once those get silly. Later thunder snipers end up shooting 40 bolts at a time and pretty much turn into shotguns that happen to have sniper range.

What I mean by that isn't that the weapons are ineffective, just that, from my experiences, I can never stay close enough to them for long, thus I prefer high burst damage over high DPS, especially against Red Drones and loving BEES.

And yeah, Thunder Snipers are excellent weapons and they carried me through the terrible low-level gun stage of my career. I've got Raijin now, but I'm sure I'll go back to Thunder Snipers once I get a good Lv.30+ one.

quote:

Just get 75% completion and you can turn of armor/weapon restriction.
If true, this is my new goal.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Megazording with a Proteus is actually really cool. I also got a pretty freaking sweet helicopter that shoots lasers.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Got a slot open as we head into some of the crazier levels on hard, message gimea rubdown or join off the 360 metatag

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
For xbox goons, I installed the game to a removable zip drive and it seems to have cut down on load time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Is it me, or do headshots against a hector do no extra damage? Or if so, not enough to make a difference without some crazy strong and accurate gun to be worth the effort. Around mish 15 or 16 I got the first One Shot, 500 Damage sniper rifle for the Ranger. Three shots kills the bombardment hectors regardless of shooting them only in the head when it pops up, mix of head and body, or three body shots.

Still even if it makes no difference,it is a hell of a lot more satisfying :zaeed:

Edit: Of course the next one takes FOUR body shots to explode. Guess those headshots do save a little time after all. Then again, three body shots and a spray from my assault rifle also takes em down.

EDIT Two: I also just learned that the shield bearer domes only protect aliens from the air strike :downs: I thought I could hide inside it killing hectors while the bombs fell but nope. Clever giant insects.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 23, 2014

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

Is it me, or do headshots against a hector do no extra damage? Or if so, not enough to make a difference without some crazy strong and accurate gun to be worth the effort. Around mish 15 or 16 I got the first One Shot, 500 Damage sniper rifle for the Ranger. Three shots kills the bombardment hectors regardless of shooting them only in the head when it pops up, mix of head and body, or three body shots.

Still even if it makes no difference,it is a hell of a lot more satisfying :zaeed:

Edit: Of course the next one takes FOUR body shots to explode. Guess those headshots do save a little time after all. Then again, three body shots and a spray from my assault rifle also takes em down.

EDIT Two: I also just learned that the shield bearer domes only protect aliens from the air strike :downs: I thought I could hide inside it killing hectors while the bombs fell but nope. Clever giant insects.

I'm pretty sure the only locational damage in the game is the big red flashy shoot here parts on things like UFOs and the three-legged walkers leg segments. That's how it was in 2017 at least. Some of those hectors may have taken a little bit of damage from NPC troopers or something.

I hopped in a Gigantus after kind of forgetting about them after using the starting one for a bit, and they really are lean mean fighting machines. They're so nimble and quick aiming compared to everything else I've been using as the Air Raider I was just zipping around popping bees out of the sky without a care.

Also, the Titan is ridiculous. I could barely see to aim the aim the thing, and I was nearly in tears from laughing so hard when I finally pulled the trigger.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I think hectors might have it because the head pops in and out. I would swear that sometimes sniping with the penetration tank cannon on the fencer leads to a one hit kill if it hits the head.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I remember using the Lysander Z in 2017 to headshot Hectors but I also can't seem to remember if it mattered or not.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Requesting an add to the 360 metatag. Gamertag: SterkeOskar

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Seiren posted:

I'm not very impressed with the homing-type lock-on weapons that I have available, they either don't do enough damage (Mirage), or the projectile is too slow (Geist).

You're approaching the Geist line the wrong way. They're slow, but they use up very little energy so they can be spammed to create a huge curtain of explosives, which you can spread out by tilting your view around to change targets. If it's anything like EDF 2017 Portable, the Geist line will be one of the best lines available for the Wing Diver.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Light Gun Man posted:

I remember using the Lysander Z in 2017 to headshot Hectors but I also can't seem to remember if it mattered or not.

I seem to remember head shots in 2017 was a thing, but it doesn't do anything in 2025 that I can see.

That said, I got the Plasma Ram for my Wing Diver. 2000 damage, 90m range. Uses up about 1/10th of my energy per shot.

It seems really OP because of the low energy drain. Two shots kills hectors (On normal) and I can clear them out before they even get a shot off. Even the shielded ones you can just fly into them and bypass the shield. I haven't tried it on those three legged things, mostly because they sway around too much and getting close tends to get you stabbed and dead. But the Thunder Sniper kills those things quick as hell as it is.

The walking fortress died pretty quick by just flying into the hatch and blasting it about 10 times.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 23, 2014

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Red ants on Hard have about 1800 health, so it sounds like it will do you well for awhile in that difficulty.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

For Fencer Gatling guns - the UT2 Hand Gatling is pretty amazing. It's got 900 rounds per load so you can hold the triggers down for a solid minute before having to reload. The reload is 10 sec but the damage (65) and RoF (15/sec) are pretty good. I've been using a pair of them on most missions. I just really wish I could destroy buildings with them, but I guess that's what mortars are for.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Will anyone be willing to go through the game with me next weekend? I have some major midterms this week and can't justify sneaking in missions anymore until they are over. Got halfway through normal on a ranger but my other three classes are all on low or newbie equipment.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
New favorite EDF dialogue.

:v: : So why did you get married?
:byodood: : FOR MY WIFE!

Also the stringerj3 is so hilariously overpowered against large targets. 4000 damage a shot. I was playing through normal just to see all the missions with my ranger, and everyone's all "ITS 300 METERS LONG, ROBOTS DONT EVEN GET THAT BIG IN COMIC BOOKS" And I'm just shooting at its weapons because I'm not sure where else to shoot. Just in the middle of them panicking about how they can beat it when it suddenly explodes. Queue the next 10 minutes of them still panicking in dialogue about scrambling heavy air support and mortars to help combat it for the Air raiders to call down. I'm kind of "Guys? It's dead. You don't need to do any of that. Guys? ...Guys?"

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I met my first modder last night and he had something like a billion health. He dragged me and a couple friends through some missions on inferno because I quote "it is my job as a Storm 1 member to drag all of your sorry asses kicking and screaming through inferno". He then proceeded to yell/chant all 3 versions of the EDF battle hymn.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Whoever it was in the EDF chain of command that decided to save on costs by instituting the 'keep what weapons you find' policy clearly never anticipated that I'd get my hands on this level of firepower.

At this point it would probably be best for everyone involved if they just left the giant insects alone to do their thing. Dropping me into a warzone should be considered a crime against humanity

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Good Citizen posted:

Whoever it was in the EDF chain of command that decided to save on costs by instituting the 'keep what weapons you find' policy clearly never anticipated that I'd get my hands on this level of firepower.

At this point it would probably be best for everyone involved if they just left the giant insects alone to do their thing. Dropping me into a warzone should be considered a crime against humanity
If we can't have this world, the aliens can't have it either! *blows up 425 buildings*

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
Which class, out of Fencer and Ranger, has the most explosive weaponry? This is important because blowing poo poo up is the only way to play.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Luminous Cow posted:

Which class, out of Fencer and Ranger, has the most explosive weaponry? This is important because blowing poo poo up is the only way to play.

Neither, because it's the Air Raider but if you have to pick one, it's probably a tie. They both blow poo poo up good.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
As an air raider you will basically be pointing at things, no matter how far away they are, and them and everything around them explodes.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Samurai Sanders posted:

If we can't have this world, the aliens can't have it either! *blows up 425 buildings*

At this point, I'm pretty sure that insurance companies are classifying EDF-related damages as Acts of God.

"Allstate- You're in good hands, unless the EDF get deployed to your city, in which case you're on your own."

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Samurai Sanders posted:

As an air raider you will basically be pointing at things, no matter how far away they are, and them and everything around them explodes.

Guess I'll just have to try them all :getin:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Good Citizen posted:

Dunknow, considering the frequency of pubbies shooting you in the back of the head from what I keep seeing in various streams of the game, the government probably sells your WMD's off your still-warm corpse to cover the damage. :downs:

Did they include the nuclear grenade from 2017? That was fun to farm some inferno cave levels. Just sit on top and just lob 'em down until everything was dead. :circlefap:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Luminous Cow posted:

Guess I'll just have to try them all :getin:
That's the way the game is set up, you'd be foolish to just focus on one class.

limited posted:

Did they include the nuclear grenade from 2017? That was fun to farm some inferno cave levels. Just sit on top and just lob 'em down until everything was dead. :circlefap:
If you mean grenades that do ridiculous damage and have a 30m blast radius but you can only throw 10m, yeah, there is at least one of those. More in general though, I don't think there are any weapons in the previous game that aren't in this one, except maybe reduced variants. Even then I'm not sure though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 23, 2014

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I played through the first 20 missions on Normal with the Air Raider (co-op with my wife's Wing Diver) and didn't feel like I was very effective.

The artillery shots are powerful but very hard to aim in split-screen. The vehicles are incredibly sluggish at that level. And I don't really get any direct damage weapons other than the limped rifles, which were already feeling way underpowered by the time Hectors showed up. Meanwhile my wife's Wing Diver was slaughtering everything with the Thunder Bow and Rapier.

I assume it gets better later, but I ended up switching to Ranger and am enjoying the hell out of the variety of destruction available.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wing Divers are basically designed to give everyone else weapon envy. Until the 1000000 damage derp guns for beating every stage on Inferno show up you won't see a single gun stronger than a Rapier of similar level and very few guns clear tunnels as quickly and safely as the Thunder Bow series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Is the best option for Inferno weapons really level 11? I've been playing it repeatedly on Air Raider and still only have the ZERA-Gun to show for it.