Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
YOTJ Update: This is getting outright silly. I think I have most of the bigname area recruiters calling now that I let the LFJ blood into the water. I've gotten 4 calls from them this morning looking for a first contact with me and just finished another round of interviews. It's downright nice to be wanted in this market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

YOTJ Update: This is getting outright silly. I think I have most of the bigname area recruiters calling now that I let the LFJ blood into the water. I've gotten 4 calls from them this morning looking for a first contact with me and just finished another round of interviews. It's downright nice to be wanted in this market.

There is a hump that you just get over that puts you into a sweet spot in this industry. I am currently in it as well.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
This month has just been sickening in regards to interesting jobs. It's a shame I am not looking to move on right now.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

That feel when you're getting sick of your job because what you're doing right now isn't really what you signed up for...

But then you have your employee review and your manager straight up tells you "I know this isn't what you signed up for. But we needed someone who knew his poo poo to get all this straightened out. And now that it's wrapping up, we're officially taking you off of it. Monday will be the last day you have to deal with that dev team. We're also making you the lead on this awesome new project to build out all of our middleware in a new data center and standardize the process into something sane. Oh and by the way, have this raise."

gently caress. Yes.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I have this terrible feeling I am getting the axe next week. The guy running the merger is coming down for some other stuff. I already had an informal chat with my current boss about severance.
I knew I had no future with this company, there's no reason to have any IT staff at this site past a certain point, but I am not looking forward to being unemployed.

That said, R2I should be getting back to me today, I think, and next week feels like a good week to start resume bombing the world, I guess...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Today is a good day to do that, buddy

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Wasnt there just some talk in this thread about security clearance? I have a potentially GREAT :yotj: I am working on. Its 6 month contract to hire. The hiring firm sponsors you for the 6 months to get you cleared and then passes you off to the client for permanent employment. Pretty standard stuff. Im worried about my finances though related to the clearance. My wife and I have had 3 children all with stays in the NICU after they were born and we stupidly did not adjust our spending habits appropriately to be prepared for the medical bills and here we are 5 years later and we have a good bit of debt. We stay current on everything and area actually in a 4 year plan on having it all paid off. I am just really crossing my fingers and praying this does not adversely affect my security clearance investigation.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Had a phone interview with a consulting firm. Seemed like a pretty cool place and a pretty cool job - the guy was pretty up front that it wasn't an operations position and most of the work was design, analytic, and strategic planning and consulting, which is basically what I'm interested in at this point. And apparently they're big on telework, which is awesome.

They want to do a follow-up interview on Skype and then probably one more when I get back in the States.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Syano posted:

Wasnt there just some talk in this thread about security clearance? I have a potentially GREAT :yotj: I am working on. Its 6 month contract to hire. The hiring firm sponsors you for the 6 months to get you cleared and then passes you off to the client for permanent employment. Pretty standard stuff. Im worried about my finances though related to the clearance. My wife and I have had 3 children all with stays in the NICU after they were born and we stupidly did not adjust our spending habits appropriately to be prepared for the medical bills and here we are 5 years later and we have a good bit of debt. We stay current on everything and area actually in a 4 year plan on having it all paid off. I am just really crossing my fingers and praying this does not adversely affect my security clearance investigation.

You have problems on a clearance when you have overdrafts, bounced checks, missed payments, are maxed out and applying for more cards, etc.

Having debt won't prevent you from getting a clearance as long as you're not a fuckup. The problem is with people who enlist when they're 18, spend 5 years as an E4 spending like they're O3, and have a clearance up for renewal.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Syano posted:

If you have no delinquencies, it probably won't be an issue. But they're reforming the whole process, so I don't know exactly how that's going to alter their red flag criteria for debt.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Losing the best boss I've ever worked for today. She's got a great opportunity and I'm happy for her. It leaves me with nothing above me but two VPs in-line with one another who don't like the dirty hands caused by engagement or conflict. Gonna figure out what I'm made of.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

Syano posted:

If you're on a payment plan of some sort, or have evidence of payments, you're probably fine.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
So, I've been working in IT for just a few months now (after being inspired by this forum's myriad of threads). I basically took the first job I could get, getting paid a really lovely wage, and now today I just signed an offer letter for a job paying something actually respectable, with a very interesting (and quickly growing) start-up.

Now on Monday I get to put in my two weeks. Anyone have any advice? I have no idea how my boss is going to take it. I'm fairly positive they're not going to make any attempts to actually retain me, and I can't actually think of anything they could do that would make me /want/ to stay. Anyone have any tips on how to go about it? I'm really grateful that they gave me the opportunity, especially given my zero professional experience, but outside of my direct coworkers the company is ridiculous and we're all super underpaid, so I don't think they'll be too surprised I'm leaving.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You don't need to give a reason. Just give your notice, confirm the date of your final day, say you're happy to attend an exit interview if requested and thank them for the opportunity.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
yeah, just be polite. It's not like breaking up with your crazy girlfriend where your boss might grab a knife and stab you.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Syano posted:

Did they say what level clearance you will need? What branch or agency (DoD / DoS / DHS)is the "client" contracted to do work for? I can't say I've ever seen a contract-to-hire setup like you've explained in DoD before due to the cost and complexities of clearances, but that's just my experience in DoD contracting.

In any instance, what you want to look at finance wise is to first pull your credit report and see if anything is on it and be prepared to explain it. On your SF86 (form you will fill out for investigation) you will have a section where they ask the financial questions. It would be prudent to explain how/what/when/where/why anything is out of the ordinary on your credit report. Being current and no delinquencies is good and also be aware of your debt:income ratio and keep it in check. Medical debit isn't bad compared to revolving credit lines so that is a good thing. Have proof of your payment plan if it is official in anyway just in case like Zetsurin mentions. They want to make sure you are not living beyond your means.

Keeping your finances in check is a continuous process once you get your clearance as well because you will go through periodic reviews (every 5yrs) and whenever you might need to get upgraded a level. So you will want to keep an eye on your score. I pay for a credit monitoring service due to my clearance level and need to keep a job, so I pull my report at least every 60days because I am paranoid. Realistically, just be smart with your money, which it sounds like you are already doing, and you'll be fine.

There are other factors too like psychological counseling, criminal charges, drugs, foreign contacts, etc you will be asked about and I cannot stress this enough. Do NOT lie on the form. Because 1) it's is a federal document and lying on it is illegal....2) They will find out, it's their job as investigators. People get clearances all the time even if they've done stupid stuff, but they admitted it up front, it was investigated and cleared (they swore to never do it again), and all was good.

The last thing you want to do is quit a current job, start at the new one and begin the investigative process, only to lose that job later on and already burned the bridge at the previous job.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

adorai posted:

yeah, just be polite. It's not like breaking up with your crazy girlfriend where your boss might grab a knife and stab you.

I dunno that guy who didn't get paid for 11 months seemed like he was about to enter stabsville when he quit

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Welp, interview on Monday then probably an interview against a VCDX and come Cisco mate's. Leveraged for a 30% SE and 60% VM and 10% Storage Engineer

I wish I was more worried than I was to be defending an interview against one or some CCNP/cisco folk. Dunno; I think I should worry but I help this guy teach, assist write a dcd book, and fix any VCAP/ICM labs and also worked for some of his competitors and fixed a few of their environments.

So far we make a good match; He loves the DCA and dislikes the DCD; as where I love the DCD and dislike the DCA. But hopefully I can work my way to a VCDX at this jerb. No idea if I can make it but I am going to reach for the stars anyway I can!

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 22, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Malkar posted:

Now on Monday I get to put in my two weeks. Anyone have any advice? I have no idea how my boss is going to take it.
You shouldn't give a gently caress about that though. Be professional, not empathic with the asses underpaying you.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I've been dealing with the stereotypical marketing bs worthy of clientsfromhell.net, with relative grace and tact. I think she's onto it and trying to see how far she can push me:
This year budget is tight so all expenses have to be justified. Today, Friday at 3ish pm, a ticket from the marketing gal asking for an iPad "that can play a video attached, and make it so that it's really easy to use and nothing else can be done on it". Needs it by next Friday at 5pm.
:monocle: It's not a big deal, but I get a hint that she's asking vaguely so that I do all the legwork of justifying the expense etc.
My response on the ticket was asking if she intended to provide the iPad or if I should be purchasing one. And now to wait until Monday, probably, to hear back.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Malkar posted:

Now on Monday I get to put in my two weeks. Anyone have any advice? I have no idea how my boss is going to take it.

Be professional and neutral. Don't editorialize. Don't explain yourself. Your notice should be in writing and can literally consist of one sentence: "I would like to inform you that I am resigning my position as <job title> effective <date of last day>." Seriously. You can add something like, "Thank you for the opportunities that have been provided by this job blah blah blah platitude platitude" if you want but it's not necessary. This is just an official piece of paper, keep it simple.

If boss wants to discuss it and pulls you into a meeting, remain professional and neutral. If they want to know why, you can respond with poo poo like, "it's time for me to seek other opportunities" or "take the next step in my career" and other phrases of that nature. This can be satisfying if you don't like your bosses or they've been severely underpaying you because it tells them nothing while still being completely true.

If they ask you where you're going, I wouldn't tell them. It has nothing to do with them, and if you aren't using them as a reference, the only thing that can do is give them an opportunity to sabotage you. Some people will do this no matter how illegal it is. So be vague ("oh, I'm heading down to the Bay Area") or just tell them you don't feel comfortable discussing it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
edit: in retrospect, disregard this post

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 22, 2014

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Heh, reading about clearances is interesting. I have a decent level of clearance but I'm in the UK, the form however sounds very similar - any finance problems? Any finance problems? No really. Any finance problems?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

evil_bunnY posted:

Today is a good day to do that, buddy

Well, a pretty decent severance is pretty much confirmed, so I am sticking around for that check before I go nuts.

Indecision1991
Sep 13, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

Be professional and neutral. Don't editorialize. Don't explain yourself. Your notice should be in writing and can literally consist of one sentence: "I would like to inform you that I am resigning my position as <job title> effective <date of last day>." Seriously. You can add something like, "Thank you for the opportunities that have been provided by this job blah blah blah platitude platitude" if you want but it's not necessary. This is just an official piece of paper, keep it simple.

If boss wants to discuss it and pulls you into a meeting, remain professional and neutral. If they want to know why, you can respond with poo poo like, "it's time for me to seek other opportunities" or "take the next step in my career" and other phrases of that nature. This can be satisfying if you don't like your bosses or they've been severely underpaying you because it tells them nothing while still being completely true.

If they ask you where you're going, I wouldn't tell them. It has nothing to do with them, and if you aren't using them as a reference, the only thing that can do is give them an opportunity to sabotage you. Some people will do this no matter how illegal it is. So be vague ("oh, I'm heading down to the Bay Area") or just tell them you don't feel comfortable discussing it.

This is pretty dead on. When I resign I tell them as little as possible about where I am going and what I will be doing. My managers have always been good people and personal friends so I tell them after the fact, but when it comes to HR and other non essential people I am very vague.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
Thanks a lot for the advice everyone. I think my main concern is that I will be informing my manager, since due to the structure of our company I actually have minimal contact with anyone in the corporate HQ and they're notorious for ignoring messages from us lower front-line people.

I actually have no issue with my manager, or his boss, and they're both get paid not much more than me. There's literally nothing they can do to retain me, so I'm probably worrying for nothing, I just hate confrontation and I imagine my manager's going to be pretty upset. Honestly, I don't know how my coworkers stand working here- they all have more experience than me, and I managed to find a new, better job in a matter of weeks after starting the hunt. I guess, judging by this thread, that it's not exactly uncommon to stick somewhere that's treating you like poo poo and I'm glad for everyone in here that's done their best to beat it in people's skulls that you shouldn't.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Goon in a well update:

I got that promotion! Only, there's no extra pay and no extra benefits or PTO, only more responsibility and a shiny new title.

I'm awfully butthurt about it, especially considering I was informally promised a raise. The worst part is, I asked newboss if I could get a raise or if we could come to compromise with some extra PTO, and was shut down on all fronts. I got told we'd talk about it again at the end of the year. He went on about how just two years ago I was a teller, and since I started at the company (late 2010) I've had around a 60% increase in pay. While true, 60% of poo poo is still poo poo and I told him as much.

There's a chance a job will open up with a University in town in June (fiscal year renewal), and I'm a shoe-in for that if it happens. Problem is, the guy over it isn't sure he can get the new position approved by the powers that be.

I'm going to stick with the bank till at least May or whenever I know for sure on this other job, milking all the OT and certification books/test vouchers I can. I can have Sec+ and Net+ done by then, I think. One way or another, I'm :yotj:ing out of here this year.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Why did you not just turn down the promotion? A title doesn't sound worth it.

Your new boss is a shithead. Your worth and salary are not based on what you were doing two years ago. It doesn't matter if you were sacking groceries for minimum wage two years ago. What if you'd been making $200,000/yr then? Would he be more forthcoming? It's poo poo logic. Your salary is based on the job and what it would take to get it done if they had to hire someone.

gently caress that place, sounds like you have a decent plan though, get everything you can and bail.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I didn't really have a chance to turn it down. Everyone knew I was going for it, the Board of Directors voted it in and viola, I was told I was the InfoSec Officer. Newboss is indeed a shithead, anytime I tried to counter he just kept repeating the same points on why he won't give me more than $33k a year.

Part of the reason I'm sticking around is because there aren't a lot of IT jobs in my area. My own fault for buying a house in a town of 15,000, but oh well. The hosed up thing is, I used to be loyal to this company and they've treated me alright, but after this I just don't give a poo poo about them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

At least you realise it's a poo poo deal. That's the first step taken care of.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
In my recent move up the high up finance people spotted I was getting an awfully generous 'pay rise' to which I told my local management that it wasn't a pay rise, but a new role, the salary I wanted was in the budget and if I have to resign and apply for the salary you would give to any other potential applicant then I will.

I caused a bit of a panic and I got what I wanted in the end.

I'm not sure but CloFan - is Info Sec officer a whole new job or an added 'role' to your existing duties? You would have negotiate the latter differently.

Anyway, tonight I was bored and was wondering what the equivalent of my job in the USA would be so I looked at one of our competitors who I know operate over there and found this as the closest match.

http://www.jobs.net/jobs/geo/en-us/job/united-states/mis-specialist/J3F1HR61C6M3BYKJWWL/

I guess this sounds a bit more 1st line maybe 2nd (strange job title) as it sounds like those 'regional IT staff' probably do most of the fun bits. Whereas I look after everything for my site plus a bit more. (Which is interesting as their way is how our government run facilities operate)

Not that I'm planning on emigrating but could anyone estimate the compensation (range) for that link? I'm just curious!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CloFan posted:

Goon in a well update:

I got that promotion! Only, there's no extra pay and no extra benefits or PTO, only more responsibility and a shiny new title.

I'm awfully butthurt about it, especially considering I was informally promised a raise. The worst part is, I asked newboss if I could get a raise or if we could come to compromise with some extra PTO, and was shut down on all fronts. I got told we'd talk about it again at the end of the year. He went on about how just two years ago I was a teller, and since I started at the company (late 2010) I've had around a 60% increase in pay. While true, 60% of poo poo is still poo poo and I told him as much.

There's a chance a job will open up with a University in town in June (fiscal year renewal), and I'm a shoe-in for that if it happens. Problem is, the guy over it isn't sure he can get the new position approved by the powers that be.

I'm going to stick with the bank till at least May or whenever I know for sure on this other job, milking all the OT and certification books/test vouchers I can. I can have Sec+ and Net+ done by then, I think. One way or another, I'm :yotj:ing out of here this year.

Your employer doesn't value you. This happens sometimes for a number of different reasons, some of time simply because you have done your job too well without asking for much. The cycle goes kind of like this...

-You quit.
-Employer tries to replace you.
-They get someone just as cheap and the cycle continues or they realize that applicants won't take what they are offering and they have to change.

The end result usually is that none of this benefits you but mostly the next guy after you. Often times the move that benefits you most is leaving and making sure your next gig properly respects you.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

angry armadillo posted:

Not that I'm planning on emigrating but could anyone estimate the compensation (range) for that link? I'm just curious!
I used a cost of living calculator thing to compare that area to mine, and based on the listed responsibilities I would guess between $50k and $60k per year. Maybe a little higher if they thought you could "hit the ground running." I base that off of it reading as though it is a generic on-site network admin who will be responsible for a small number of servers and networking equipment, as well as provide remote hands and on-site desktop support.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Sure there were 4 of the same job on their site listed in PA, CA and TX so I guess there is a range. I read it the same way as you in terms of some kind of basic network admin. If it's anything like they do it in the UK anything major would get escalated somewhere else.

Interesting, thanks!

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Had a meeting with my boss last week:

Boss: there is nothing here for you in terms of pay rises or progression. So, we're giving you (miscellaneous jobs from departing office manager)

No mentions of salary or anything, but I didn't actually ask at the time.

On one hand , I'm glad they're giving me this stuff, presumably so I stick around. On the other hand, im fairly sure every new task I get is going to be poo poo. I am not and have no desire to be an office manager, ordering people's chairs and calling plumbers when the toilets break.

Nothing solidifies your belief that your job has run its course like your manager saying it to your face.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Swink posted:

Had a meeting with my boss last week:

Boss: there is nothing here for you in terms of pay rises or progression. So, we're giving you (miscellaneous jobs from departing office manager)

No mentions of salary or anything, but I didn't actually ask at the time.

What's your current salary? Because from the bosses statement you're getting that at new position.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

What's your current salary? Because from the bosses statement you're getting that at new position.

The way I interpreted it at the time was "You're at max salary with your current position. We will be giving you extra tasks so you have the opportunity to earn more."

Obviously I'm going to attempt to refuse the new tasks unless the salary explicitly comes with it. But in all honesty, the new tasks are going to take me away from what I want to do (I'm an okish windows sysadmin) so even if they do give me a raise straight up, I think it's the beginning of the end for me here.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Swink posted:

The way I interpreted it at the time was "You're at max salary with your current position. We will be giving you extra tasks so you have the opportunity to earn more."

Obviously I'm going to attempt to refuse the new tasks unless the salary explicitly comes with it. But in all honesty, the new tasks are going to take me away from what I want to do (I'm an okish windows sysadmin) so even if they do give me a raise straight up, I think it's the beginning of the end for me here.

Yeah to me that little chat is the writing on the wall that it's time to polish the resume and start probing the job market. It sounds like you have skills, ambition and a desire to grow. Taking on the challenging new responsibilities of emptying the office dishwasher and ordering coffee for meetings is not the best way to advance your IT career; you can do better.

No reason to feel bad about it. Unless you're at a large company or luck out with the guy above you leaving, changing jobs is an extremely common and effective way of taking the next step in your career.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Swink posted:

On one hand , I'm glad they're giving me this stuff, presumably so I stick around. On the other hand, im fairly sure every new task I get is going to be poo poo. I am not and have no desire to be an office manager, ordering people's chairs and calling plumbers when the toilets break.

Have you told them this? I mean, this could be a simple misunderstanding; business majors tend to think that everyone wants to "graduate" into management as if it were even on the same planet as a technical/engineering career path. "These tasks will take my time and focus away from my chosen career path. No thanks."

I mean, if they're giving you tasks from someone who left, without replacing that person, chances are good that they are the worst kind of purse-clutching business owners, just loading down the remaining employees until one of them buckles and leaves, whereupon they will repeat the cycle until they implode or wise up. But there's at least a CHANCE they're just ignorant.

Either way, absolutely don't sacrifice your desired career for them; good for you for recognizing that. Good luck with the hard part: actually standing your ground or moving on.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Swink posted:

Now are you going to look elsewhere?

• Locked thread