Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
No one could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The finale of S1 is when it became clear how dumb the show was and that it was all going to be downhill from there.

Well, that and the opening of Season 2. Maybe they can make something good if they just abandon all baggage. Also do not have time travel or power absorbing people.

greatn fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 23, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

greatn posted:

The finale of S1 is when it became clear how dumb the show was and that it was all going to be downhill from there.

Well, that and the opening of Season 2. Maybe they can make something good if they just abandon all baggage. Also do not have time travel or power absorbing people.

Heroes was an awesome one-season show. :colbert:

If they had left it like that I think it would hold up a lot better. As a self-contained arc it worked. I only watched maybe half of the second season but it was obvious that the rails were coming off even then. I can't imagine what later seasons must have been like.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

greatn posted:

Hiro was the only good part. Masi Oka should have been the new Dr. Who.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

jscolon2.0 posted:

NISSAN VERRRRSA

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

WarLocke posted:

Heroes was an awesome one-season show. :colbert:

If they had left it like that I think it would hold up a lot better. As a self-contained arc it worked. I only watched maybe half of the second season but it was obvious that the rails were coming off even then. I can't imagine what later seasons must have been like.

Yeah, it probably would've turned out better if they had stuck to the original plan of an anthology with a different cast for each season.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

jscolon2.0 posted:

Ahem, I believe you mean Hiro and Ando. Best superhero buddy duo this side of Luke Cage & Iron Fist/Rockslide & Anole.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Ahem, I believe you mean Hiro and Ando. Best superhero buddy duo this side of Luke Cage & Iron Fist/Rockslide & Anole.

Every good Doctor needs a good companion.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

greatn posted:

Company Man was so loving good though. It's one of my favorite episodes of any TV Show.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
I stopped watching half way through season 1. Did they ever advance the plot?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

SaintFu posted:

I stopped watching half way through season 1. Did they ever advance the plot?

If by "advance the plot" you mean "used a dartboard of bad Claremont-era comic plot devices", then yes. Mystery plague, "normal" team member takes a body morphing drug, multiple mutually exclusive dark futures, supervillain jailbreak.... hell, in the final season it got so bad they went full Stan Lee and introduced an evil circus troupe.

It didn't even fall under "so bad it's good", it was just poo poo.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Waterhaul posted:

Really? I love Fuller but dude couldn't save the last time it had gone completely down the drain.

Best doctor in the world can't raise the dead. And there was still a marked improvement when he came back, it was just too deeply terrible at that point.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

Jesus wept :stare:

Really? I love Fuller but dude couldn't save the last time it had gone completely down the drain.

I remember an interview from him after he finished his second run and he tried to put a good face on it, but said the writers pretty much split up into different camps on how the show should be and which characters should be featured and it was pretty much a mess.

Also apparently people want Claire to return? No. No one should want that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Well for better or for worse, Heroes Reborn is only 13 episodes and is being billed as a miniseries. So it is either going to be plotted decently and be watchable, or it is going to fail spectacularly. I wonder if they pitched the idea to be more like the original concept. Each "season" would be with different characters on their own arcs. Would be pretty easy to do if you kept the seasons really short.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Given the "success" of American Horror Story, I'd imagine higher ups are more open to the idea of Anthology series, new characters each season, etc. Than they were the first time this show aired.

And I personally hope they don't bring back any past cast or characters.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Weren't Hannibal and Under The Dome initially billed as miniseries? This will only end in tears and more undiscovered Pitrellis.

e: Not calling Hannibal poo poo, just pointing out the precedent.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 23, 2014

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

There is also True Detective being the hottest premium drama at the moment and it is an anthology series too.

I wish Fuller will have some involvement in this, his "style murders substance" approach and general silliness works amazingly well in Hannibal. Doing another Lost rip-off in this day and age (even if Heroes was one of the mildly bearable ones) is idiotic.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 23, 2014

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

sleepingbuddha posted:

Yeah, it probably would've turned out better if they had stuck to the original plan of an anthology with a different cast for each season.

Yeah, that could have been pretty great. Part of what was good about Season 1 was Peter and Hiro learning to use their powers; once they had control they were too powerful to easily build interesting plots around, so they either had to have those characters behave like idiots or have random excuses for why they don't have their full powers/full control anymore. A new set of characters each season coming to terms with their powers, or just a set of characters with less overwhelming power sets, could have worked better long term.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

Weren't Hannibal and Under The Dome initially billed as miniseries? This will only end in tears and more undiscovered Pitrellis.

e: Not calling Hannibal poo poo, just pointing out the precedent.

"Miniseries" is the official new code word for "we have no faith in this show and it will probably not get another season". I guess it looks better to shareholders who don't know anything about what they are investing in when they see a miniseries come and go in 10 episodes as opposed to something being billed a big development sinking in the same amount of time.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

404GoonNotFound posted:

But this is completely true - I remember in season three (or possibly two) with the african man who paints the future, the scene was so much fun it could almost redeem the series. Hiro and Ando were amazing.

I still feel betrayed we didn't get Hiro and his dinosaur hunting adventures they teased in season 1.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They also gave Ando superpowers which completely ruined his character.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fishylungs posted:

Also apparently people want Claire to return? No. No one should want that.

I remember when Heroes was first airing (and especially those scenes where Claire would just jump off of that water tower repeatedly, or the one where she cut off a toe just because) thinking that it would be awesome to see a regenerating character treated as how hosed up it would actually be. I mean, she heals, but it still hurts right? So I was expecting something darker like her taking on dudes and just letting them shoot her up, then stand up once they're out of ammo, or even some sort of weird superhero self-cutting thing. But no, we got 'the guy who eats brains for new powers can't be allowed to get regeneration or he will literally be unkillable' how unique a plot. :rolleyes:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
But then he doesn't actually eat brains because we don't want his legions of fangirls to hurt us.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

404GoonNotFound posted:

But then he doesn't actually eat brains because we don't want his legions of fangirls to hurt us.

And fanboys. :colbert:
As bad as Heroes was, it did give us Zachary Quinto, so I can't entirely hate it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Make Sylar the main character and turn it into SuperDexter

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An annoying thing about the show was how they had multiple times where Sylar got redeemed but every single time they just turned him evil again.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
TV in general, and superhero shows in particular, should be more willing to end stories and write off characters who's arc is done.

Comics has that problem too, but it tends to get spread out over multiple series, not coming up year after year in the same series.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

muscles like this? posted:

They also gave Ando superpowers which completely ruined his character.

Which gave us the Andocycle, which was great. Also, didn't he lose his sidekickesque powers pretty quickly?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

An annoying thing about the show was how they had multiple times where Sylar got redeemed but every single time they just turned him evil again.

StumblyWumbly posted:

TV in general, and superhero shows in particular, should be more willing to end stories and write off characters who's arc is done.

Comics has that problem too, but it tends to get spread out over multiple series, not coming up year after year in the same series.

Yeah basically the issue was they were treating him like a comic book character who had been around for two decades when in reality he was only around for 4 years.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

WarLocke posted:

I remember when Heroes was first airing (and especially those scenes where Claire would just jump off of that water tower repeatedly, or the one where she cut off a toe just because) thinking that it would be awesome to see a regenerating character treated as how hosed up it would actually be. I mean, she heals, but it still hurts right? So I was expecting something darker like her taking on dudes and just letting them shoot her up, then stand up once they're out of ammo, or even some sort of weird superhero self-cutting thing. But no, we got 'the guy who eats brains for new powers can't be allowed to get regeneration or he will literally be unkillable' how unique a plot. :rolleyes:

Even when he wasn't a problem, at one point she was all "run ahead and I'll stop them", the villain breaks in, "I'm Claire Bennet!" then she jumps out the loving window.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

That was due to him being the breakout star of the show, and they refused to get rid of him. They should have killed him off since he is a serial killer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

That was due to him being the breakout star of the show, and they refused to get rid of him. They should have killed him off since he is a serial killer.

There was that couple of episode stretch where he turned good because he and Peter were stuck together for like 20 subjective years and they talked it out.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah, the original Sylar redemption arc was good and made sense. I would have rather they kept him as an anti-hero. Kept his motivation intact - he kills to steal powers, but have him only going after villains.

Heck, what they should have done was had Peter do the heel turn and become the big bad rather than having Sylar relapse. Would have even made sense - his empathy powers caused him to see things the way Sylar saw them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Medullah posted:

Yeah, the original Sylar redemption arc was good and made sense. I would have rather they kept him as an anti-hero. Kept his motivation intact - he kills to steal powers, but have him only going after villains.

Heck, what they should have done was had Peter do the heel turn and become the big bad rather than having Sylar relapse. Would have even made sense - his empathy powers caused him to see things the way Sylar saw them.

That was another huge problem with heroes, they were all overpowered as gently caress. If they kept powers sort of small with huge threats being overpowered and therefore they all had to team up to stop them. However, nope they make most of the main characters stupidly powerful. I mean Peter and Sylar were as powerful or more powerful as Silver Age Superman. poo poo now I wish Peter was able to shoot out tiny Peters of his hands to help him.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

That was another huge problem with heroes, they were all overpowered as gently caress. If they kept powers sort of small with huge threats being overpowered and therefore they all had to team up to stop them. However, nope they make most of the main characters stupidly powerful. I mean Peter and Sylar were as powerful or more powerful as Silver Age Superman. poo poo now I wish Peter was able to shoot out tiny Peters of his hands to help him.

They were more powerful than the budget of the show would allow, which lead to that awesome showdown that went on entirely behind closed doors.

Man, that loving show. I'd like to think that TV in general has progressed so much since it first aired, so they couldn't possibly bungle it again, but fuuuuuuck.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

That was all a symptom of the fact that the characters weren't supposed to stick around and that they were going to change up the cast every season.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

That was all a symptom of the fact that the characters weren't supposed to stick around and that they were going to change up the cast every season.

Yeah, but midseason they should have known that it was not going to happen, and find a way to get the powers to a more managable level.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I think Season 1 was the best, and aside from missing that badass Peter vs Sylar fight we were all waiting for, it really was a nice self-contained story. Everything was downhill after that.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
The only things I remember liking about the later seasons were Hiro & Ando antics (sneaking up on the African painter, George Takei's psychic video tapes) and John Glover being generally awesome in his 2 or so appearances.

e: Oh, and that speedster who nearly all the fans loved... and who was almost immediately killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Heroes went downhill when they didn't follow through and have Sylar kill Claire at the their first confrontation at the school.