Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've had good luck with my Marmot Precip, if you really need waterproof and light weight I think it's the best value. It looks a bit technical but if you get a plain color people won't really care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schweg
Nov 15, 2004
Yes.

paberu posted:

I was hoping to find out how tough the tough glove is - i.e. is it going to hold up in humid weather (potentially being socked in rain), and can it handle being bashed around. I've read that the leather is quite thin.

Where are you finding the Tough Glove for sale? I'd love to find a pair in my size. As far as I know it has been discontinued. Unfortunately the styling of its replacement, the Tour Glove, crosses over the threshold of what I'm willing to wear in public.

I had a pair that I wore basically every day for two years before they wore out. Great travel shoes. I've posted about how much I love them in this thread.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm looking for a murse to fly with. I don't ever check bags anymore, but I don't like to get up an fiddle with the overhead bins when I'm flying either. I need something to carry my books, iPad, headphones, notebook and pen, etc. -- something I can stuff in the seat pocket or underneath. I've been using a travel cube lately, but I wanted to see if anyone had any better suggestions. I don't need a full backpack or laptop bag.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I use a size XS timbuk2 messenger but that's probably overkill for what you're looking for. They have lighter/smaller bags like the Catapult. I used to use a Chrome Vega but the shape and lack of pockets bugged me.

If you're just using it for the flight you could use pretty much anything though.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

qirex posted:

I use a size XS timbuk2 messenger but that's probably overkill for what you're looking for. They have lighter/smaller bags like the Catapult. I used to use a Chrome Vega but the shape and lack of pockets bugged me.

If you're just using it for the flight you could use pretty much anything though.

That's what I figured, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any travel-specific products or product categories.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Kobayashi posted:

I'm looking for a murse to fly with. I don't ever check bags anymore, but I don't like to get up an fiddle with the overhead bins when I'm flying either. I need something to carry my books, iPad, headphones, notebook and pen, etc. -- something I can stuff in the seat pocket or underneath. I've been using a travel cube lately, but I wanted to see if anyone had any better suggestions. I don't need a full backpack or laptop bag.

Here you go, this one is designed to wrap around the tray table.

http://www.geniuspack.com/collections/carry-on/products/flight-bag

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

feigning interest posted:

What is your guys' favorite travel raincoat?

My personal criteria:
-Zip front
-Hood (roll-away or not idc)
-Thin, lightweight
-Doesn't look too 'technical'

Extreme packability and underarm zippers are a huge plus. I overheat in my core/armpits easily and armpit zips are a godsend for me.

I currently own a few different choices that teeter between "super lightweight/packable but look dorky" and "work great yet look very technical and could probably pack smaller" and none have armpit zippers.

If a Filson or Barbour jacket was easy to travel with I wouldn't have a problem but I like to travel carry-on only and waxed cotton canvas/twill is bulky and heavy and too warm to bring to a warm climate. I like having an unlined outer shell so i can wear it over a tshirt if it's warm+wet or I can layer up if its actually cold and use it as a shell.

Anyway, I've been looking at Marmot and Exofficio's offering but was unsure if anyone had a preference or a better option.
Are you really wearing a raincoat so often that style is a major concern? Most of the time my raincoat sat in my bag because 1) it wasn't raining or 2) it was raining, but I wasn't walking around outside for long enough to take it out and wear it. I think a lightweight packable shell is the way to go, unless you're going to be trekking through the jungle for 3 weeks during rainy season or something, in which case why do you care how technical it looks?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
After travelling for about one a half years straight I think I used my raincoat about 20 times, probably less. It was needed about 6 times, during torrential rainfall and hail when it doesn't matter what it looks like.

If you plan on hiking get a good one and stuff it into the bottom of your pack and forget about it. If you don't plan on hiking buy a $3 plastic poncho from the guy outside a stadium, and get a nice breathable water resistant shell thing that doubles as a jacket.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

NoDamage posted:

Are you really wearing a raincoat so often that style is a major concern? Most of the time my raincoat sat in my bag because 1) it wasn't raining or 2) it was raining, but I wasn't walking around outside for long enough to take it out and wear it. I think a lightweight packable shell is the way to go, unless you're going to be trekking through the jungle for 3 weeks during rainy season or something, in which case why do you care how technical it looks?

Outrail posted:

After travelling for about one a half years straight I think I used my raincoat about 20 times, probably less. It was needed about 6 times, during torrential rainfall and hail when it doesn't matter what it looks like.

If you plan on hiking get a good one and stuff it into the bottom of your pack and forget about it. If you don't plan on hiking buy a $3 plastic poncho from the guy outside a stadium, and get a nice breathable water resistant shell thing that doubles as a jacket.

Good points and that's how I have always traveled. I suppose that I was just lamenting the fact that all of my handsome wool and waxed cotton outerwear isn't fit for travel. I thought perhaps there were other options, such as outlier.cc, that I could choose from.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

NoDamage posted:

Holy crap, thanks for this recommendation. I looked at Prana's site and found the Brion, which appears to be a variant of the Zion without the cargo leg pocket, so it looks completely like a normal pant. But the fabric is still stretchy, quick-drying, and water resistant.

I tried on a pair and ended up buying two. Because of the stretch fabric they are way more comfortable than the REI Adventures pants I had previously, and they are water resistant whereas the Adventures are not.

I just got a pair for Christmas (one of the advantages of living overseas: getting to open your Christmas presents early without repercussions :v:) and I'm really digging them. True to size, light, comfortable/easy to move around in, don't look like a doofy Travel Dad... great, really. Could easily see myself ordering another pair or two, especially for my month-long motorbike trip next summer.

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
Any suggestions for wrinkle-free shirts like in the OP that are available in the UK? Ideally a brand that can cater to a muscular build. leaving on my trip in 3 weeks and the only thing I'm really missing is clothing!

edit: er, where can I get trousers or shorts as well? All the outdoors and travel shops seem to have removed all of their warm climate gear and are just full of coats and ski clothes...

cadenza fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Dec 29, 2013

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

feigning interest posted:

Good points and that's how I have always traveled. I suppose that I was just lamenting the fact that all of my handsome wool and waxed cotton outerwear isn't fit for travel. I thought perhaps there were other options, such as outlier.cc, that I could choose from.

I pack a Mountain Hardwear Goretex shell from years ago. I think it retailed for $300 at the time. I'll put up with anything when traveling except: being wet, being cold. So, for me, it was a great purchase and I really like it.

The annoying part is the adjustable hood that's helmet friendly, but awkward fitting since I'm never wearing a helmet. The nice part was when the the right pit zip tore since the sealant had gone bad, MH fixed it for free and paid for return shipping. I put a real emphasis on service like that when making a purchase, so that's probably why I like MH stuff so much. (Marmot has a similar warranty) Since it's just a shell, it works really well for layering.

Yeah, it looks like a shell, but I see people wearing those kind of jackets or TNF fleeces practically everywhere in Europe anyway so it's not like it ever sticks out.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I like Nau stuff a lot but it's expensive when it's not on sale and they tend to make some odd design decisions. I got one of their "packable trenchcoats" on clearance and while I like it overall if I unfurl the collar it comes literally to the top of my ears so I have to double fold it to keep from looking like a half-assed Dr. Evil.

The PreCip is popular because it's completely waterproof and it's $100. You can get a Goretex jacket from Acronym and it won't look technical but it will cost $1100.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Another Christmas present update: got a Craft baselayer from my sister. It's meant more for cycling/other outdoor activities in winter, but holy hell is it awesome to wear all the time. Very light, dries quickly (I hand washed it in the sink, wrung it out by hand, hung it up overnight, and it was dry as a bone the next morning), and super comfortable.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound
I've taken a lot of awesome info and advice from this thread, so I thought I'd chuck something back that might be of use to some people. I am on an extended trip right now, currently chilling in Guatemala after a couple of months in Mexico and thereabouts. I brought with me my carryon size travel pack, and what I want to talk about here which is a kayaking style dry bag.

When you search for dry bag on ebay or amazon you'll get a bunch of results, you're not looking for the sort that you put inside another bag, you're looking for something like these:

http://www.planetdry.com/ocean-packs.html

There's other manufacturers too, and what you're looking for is most importantly that it has a shoulder strap. This means it can become your day pack as well as your small overflow travel bag. The 10L size is a very nice midpoint, I can fit my 13" ultrabook and external hard disk in there and still have room to slip a few small things around it. But that's just an occasional thing, normally it'll have the normal day to day things that you might want to bring. The main reasons why I now would recommend this so hard to people are:

• It's a dry bag. If you slip into the water, your poo poo is fine. If you get caught in a sudden tropical storm, your poo poo is fine. Sure, it's not the end of the world if your book or wallet gets wet but it's nice if they don't have to, in addition to the other advantages offered here. And if you've got your smartphone or kindle on you, it's extra useful.
  • Security, in two ways. Firstly, there's one entrance and exit and unlike a bag with zips or buckles or drawstrings, it's extremely hard for someone to open it without you noticing whilst you're wearing it. For those unfamiliar, the way a dry bag works is you fold down the open end a few times then clip it in a circle - if you look at the pic you'll see. Sure, it's not impossible - a skilled pickpocket can almost always get where he wants to go but this is a lot harder and they will be much less practiced in this sort of bag. The second factor, is that as long as you get the right sort of bag, it is made from a tough fiber inside a waterproof coating. This offers a little extra protection against slashers - sure a sharp enough blade might get in first time, but there's a real chance it'll take two slashes which gives you an extra opportunity to notice. The other thing is that the bag's tube shape means there's less overhang either side. It's known on crowded buses that the person sitting to one side can slice open the side of a normal backpack that is sitting on your lap and remove what's inside without you noticing. The profile of this kind of bag makes it much harder since they would have to reach across an air gap and that is way more chance for you to notice.
  • If it's only partially filled (which is best anyway), you can seal it with some trapped air inside, chuck a bit of clothing on top (or not, whatever) and you've got a serviceable airport pillow. Secondary benefit of using it this way, is that no one is going to be able to get in there without you waking up because the moment they open it the sealed air will escape and your head will move waking you up (unless you're drugged up on sleeping pills or something).

I haven't found any disadvantages yet to using one, it's like the perfect thing so far.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Can anyone recommend this backpack for a month's travel around New Zealand and then maybe SE Asia or the States? Got to hold the standard fare of clothes and toiletries, and then also Kindle and an iPad mini.

Is it worth getting a spare battery pack or is it useless weight? I've seen this one and it would just need to keep my tablet and iPhone charged if I was away from a power source for a few days (mainly for the phone as it will be my camera and the iPhone battery can be pretty shameful). Also has anyone used the apple camera cable to transfer pictures from an iPhone to iPad? My iPhone is stuffed full of music so it would be nice to free up space for the camera roll if need be, I'm really bad at purging terrible photos.

edit: what are some good headphones to travel with? I am obsessed with my music so I'd like them to sound pretty good, but also be durable enough to stuff into a side pocket and not worry about them.

Rockybar fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 25, 2014

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

Rockybar posted:

Can anyone recommend this backpack for a month's travel around New Zealand and then maybe SE Asia or the States? Got to hold the standard fare of clothes and toiletries, and then also Kindle and an iPad mini.

I seem to remember people saying that it is a bad idea to have military style packs/clothes in some parts of the world, not sure if that applies to SE Asia though.

Have you read the OPs? Sheep-Goats gives lots of good advice.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I don't think military-style backpacks will be a problem in SEA.

And get a battery pack, it's super useful and it really sucks when you get lost and your phone is completely dead. Sometimes hostels don't have enough plugs for everybody or in one REALLY cheap and awful hotel I stayed in, there were no outlets in the room. They had the outlet for the fan hidden in the wall so I couldn't just plug my power strip in it :(

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
I'm thinking of cycling around Japan. What are some essentials I would need to bring that aren't listed in the OP?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
A bike?

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
I'm surprised there isn't a bike touring thread (either here, or in YLLS). The gear you need is quite specialized compared to general travel though. Aside from the obvious bike/racks/panniers you'll also need cycling specific clothing, and lots of people carry camping gear too.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
There was some discussion in the hiking thread about long distance biking in the last week or so.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Saint Fu posted:

There was some discussion in the hiking thread about long distance biking in the last week or so.

It starts here

e: What the hell dude, 5 per page?

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"

NoDamage posted:

I'm surprised there isn't a bike touring thread (either here, or in YLLS). The gear you need is quite specialized compared to general travel though. Aside from the obvious bike/racks/panniers you'll also need cycling specific clothing, and lots of people carry camping gear too.

Don't tell me I have to wear that skin tight latex bullshit.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

The Worst Muslim posted:

Don't tell me I have to wear that skin tight latex bullshit.
Hah no, but if you're going to be riding a bike every day for extended periods of time, you'll probably want some kind of padded short or liner, as well as padded gloves. Of course, "cycling around Japan" is rather vague, so I don't know if it is actually your intention to do long distance touring, as opposed to traveling normally to various cities and renting bikes to get around or something like that.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

NoDamage posted:

Hah no, but if you're going to be riding a bike every day for extended periods of time, you'll probably want some kind of padded short or liner, as well as padded gloves. Of course, "cycling around Japan" is rather vague, so I don't know if it is actually your intention to do long distance touring, as opposed to traveling normally to various cities and renting bikes to get around or something like that.

I was thinking like long distance. From North to South. I was thinking of something to pad my poor white rear end.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Have you ridden a bike before? More than 50km in one go?

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

Outrail posted:

Have you ridden a bike before? More than 50km in one go?

Yeah and I am also working on my stamina at the gym.

Chernori
Jan 3, 2010
Hey, I've been following this thread forever and I really appreciate all the advice and help it's provided. I currently have an Osprey Kestrel 58 and, while it's been a solid bag that's comfortable to carry (while trekking, etc), I want a smaller bag that's easier to deal with on public transport and doesn't have to be checked.

After reading the thread, I think the Osprey Porter 46 would be a good fit for me (Duralict's recommendation sold me on it). Someone is travelling from Canada to meet me in SE Asia in about a month, so they can bring me a new bag from there. I would just order it to their address, but I can't seem to find it available for purchase online in Canada. Is it not a popular model or something? I found a lot of stores with Osprey bags, but not the Porter 46.

Right now I'm considering buying it at REI.com, but I'm worried about it getting held up at customs.

corker2k
Feb 22, 2013

From working in a retail store in the UK, we found quite often Osprey only produce some of their range for "International" markets, and the rest are designated "Domestic Only". Whenever we had a customer request something, often even the Osprey UK rep couldn't get hold of it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
It's mind boggling that there's such a thing as 'only for international market' or 'sorry we can't get that here', when you could conceivably get anything from anywhere in the world delivered to anywhere else in the world in a few days.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

It's mind boggling that there's such a thing as 'only for international market' or 'sorry we can't get that here', when you could conceivably get anything from anywhere in the world delivered to anywhere else in the world in a few days.

Market segmentation and price discrimination! Some reasons are historical, some economical, some political. Duties and tariffs,etc...

But there's nothing from stopping you to buy the bag from an ebay seller. Why customs I suppose.

If you trust a internet stranger I can price quote you the retail price here in Hong Kong and ship it to you to uk if you pay pal me.

Or wait for those Amazon deals and use a forwarder.

Chernori
Jan 3, 2010

caberham posted:

If you trust a internet stranger I can price quote you the retail price here in Hong Kong and ship it to you to uk if you pay pal me.

Thank you for the offer! That's very kind of you, but I wouldn't want to inconvenience you and the logistics of it would probably be a bit difficult. I'll see if I can get ahold of a smaller bag on my own... if not, I'll just keep hauling my Kestrel 58 around (I was jamming it into a minibus' hold today, cursing it).

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Chernori posted:

Hey, I've been following this thread forever and I really appreciate all the advice and help it's provided. I currently have an Osprey Kestrel 58 and, while it's been a solid bag that's comfortable to carry (while trekking, etc), I want a smaller bag that's easier to deal with on public transport and doesn't have to be checked.

After reading the thread, I think the Osprey Porter 46 would be a good fit for me (Duralict's recommendation sold me on it). Someone is travelling from Canada to meet me in SE Asia in about a month, so they can bring me a new bag from there. I would just order it to their address, but I can't seem to find it available for purchase online in Canada. Is it not a popular model or something? I found a lot of stores with Osprey bags, but not the Porter 46.

Right now I'm considering buying it at REI.com, but I'm worried about it getting held up at customs.

I live in Canada and wanted the porter 46 a couple of years ago after reading how perfect it fit my needs. I was able to order off of amazon.com (not .ca) and had it in a few days. Don't remember there being much crazy cross border fees or delivery fees. But yeah, all the local Osprey dealers couldn't get that model for me, hence having to go through amazon.

Ps bag is awesome, definitely worth it.

Chernori
Jan 3, 2010

Opioid posted:

I live in Canada and wanted the porter 46 a couple of years ago after reading how perfect it fit my needs. I was able to order off of amazon.com (not .ca) and had it in a few days. Don't remember there being much crazy cross border fees or delivery fees. But yeah, all the local Osprey dealers couldn't get that model for me, hence having to go through amazon.

Ps bag is awesome, definitely worth it.

Thanks for the recommendation and the advice. Coincidentally, I actually ordered it off Amazon already. It's (allegedly) making its way to my house. I definitely need that thing: AirAsia's baggage fees will destroy me otherwise.

General question to the thread: How much does your bag weigh when it's full?

I started thinking about it after checking in for my flight today. I think AirAsia's carry-on limit is 7kg: are most people's bags under that limit? My bag is currently 12.5kg (though the bag itself weighs in at 1.72kg, according to REI) and I feel like I'm running out of things to get rid of.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

Chernori posted:

Thanks for the recommendation and the advice. Coincidentally, I actually ordered it off Amazon already. It's (allegedly) making its way to my house. I definitely need that thing: AirAsia's baggage fees will destroy me otherwise.

General question to the thread: How much does your bag weigh when it's full?

I started thinking about it after checking in for my flight today. I think AirAsia's carry-on limit is 7kg: are most people's bags under that limit? My bag is currently 12.5kg (though the bag itself weighs in at 1.72kg, according to REI) and I feel like I'm running out of things to get rid of.

7kg? That could be a little tough. I think when I backpacked in Europe my bag about about 9kg and I packed lighter than a lot of people.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
Anyone have a recommendation for a small/non flashy day pack, that is still pretty packable? I know the OP insists on a grocery bag or tote, but that honestly doesn't work well for what I am doing (day hikes in south america). I might just go for the REI flash 18, but it looks a little tech-y for me. I would love something like a smaller and less built up version of the poler roll-top but haven't found anything. Any ideas?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Air Asia is not Ryanair. They really don't give a gently caress about bag limits and carry on.

I brought a 12kg photo back pack and a big rear end tripod whenever I go to south east Asia.

I also hauled a box of durians on board. Really, don't worry about weight limits. It's fine

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

hbf posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a small/non flashy day pack, that is still pretty packable? I know the OP insists on a grocery bag or tote, but that honestly doesn't work well for what I am doing (day hikes in south america). I might just go for the REI flash 18, but it looks a little tech-y for me. I would love something like a smaller and less built up version of the poler roll-top but haven't found anything. Any ideas?

What do you bring with you for the day? Bottle of water and food? Camera?

I'd probably just get a basic Jansport for that. What do you like about that roller top pack? The way it looks?

I went on a four day / three night hike when I lived in SE Asia and just used a school sized Jansport kind of back pack for that.

raton fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

Sheep-Goats posted:

What do you bring with you for the day? Bottle of water and food? Camera?

I'd probably just get a basic Jansport for that. What do you like about that roller top pack? The way it looks?

I went on a four day / three night hike when I lived in SE Asia and just used a school sized Jansport kind of back pack for that.

hmm, jansport could work, but might even be too large (they look to be 24L). Will have to check it out and see how small i can compress one down. Basically just using it for day-trip type needs, but for 2 people. Prob just camera, water, a book, and maybe an extra layer (will be in Colombia, weather seems pretty variable).

• Locked thread