Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

also MSGO has 3 night-darkness options.

or just go get the ring of raven eye/make a night eye ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Been playing Morrowind here for a few days, and I've been wondering why I felt so weird and woozy. Turns out I'd left a can of paint thinner open in my room.

It really added to the experience.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

ForeverSmug posted:

Been playing Morrowind here for a few days, and I've been wondering why I felt so weird and woozy. Turns out I'd left a can of paint thinner open in my room.

Kirkbride approved

Damp Star Baby
Jan 22, 2014

Staying Legend. CA Exempt DEATH

ForeverSmug posted:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Lost Covenant posted:

Love that place, but you gotta go back, bro. Return to the daedric chamber and look up above the crypt/where the body is. Spoilers about what you missed (or just didn't mention) Legendary shield Eidolon's Ward

Whaaat goddamn. There was so much fat lute in that place I figured I'd cleared it out for sure. It was all just a smokescreen! Bethesda! :argh:

Finally went to Mournhold on this playthrough yesterday and flipped through the artifacts list at the museum and there's a bunch of these I'd never even heard of before. If I wanna' have a switch from my go-to twohander to something onehanded and my sweet new shield, whats my best choice?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ForeverSmug posted:

lmao

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

re: the brownness, I was reading some articles by devs talking about making games back in the day (started with Crash Bandicoot and I kept reading from there). I remember them saying something about how up to a certain point, a lot of 3D games had limited palettes because of something to do with the graphics processing power, and it was one of the ways they had to manage FPS. I don't remember any technical details unfortunately, but it'd make perfect sense for Morrowind

That wasn't really an issue by 2002; even Unreal from 1998 had a palette of 256 colors per individual texture, but the design influences from the previous decade probably remained.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Has anyone here played with that sixth house reborn or w/e mod? i heard its pretty cool so i have it installed but havent played enough through the main story to really activate it. does siding with dagoth and poo poo as basically ruin that character in terms of doing other quests etc. i dont want to do it then realize im no longer able to do anything without being KoS by every npc.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Gobblecoque posted:

i played through ald daedroth not a month ago with tr installed and i didn't have a single problem. it sounds like you probably hosed up installing something somewhere

No idea how I did that, then. I just dragged and dropped the files into my folder like I always do.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

No idea how I did that, then. I just dragged and dropped the files into my folder like I always do.

did you register the bsa files?

mods ass
Jan 31, 2014

The Protagonist posted:

Whaaat goddamn. There was so much fat lute in that place I figured I'd cleared it out for sure. It was all just a smokescreen! Bethesda! :argh:

Finally went to Mournhold on this playthrough yesterday and flipped through the artifacts list at the museum and there's a bunch of these I'd never even heard of before. If I wanna' have a switch from my go-to twohander to something onehanded and my sweet new shield, whats my best choice?

I liked goldbrand/eltonbrand or trueflame because i usually ran with swords. You can also enchant yourself an ebony scimitar with some seriously broken poo poo if that floats your boat. Blunts, probably skullcrusher or sunder, and you probably can't get an artifact axe.

mods ass fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 23, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Gobblecoque posted:

did you register the bsa files?

No idea what that is, so probably not.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

mods rear end posted:

I liked goldbrand You can also enchant yourself an ebony scimitar with some seriously broken poo poo if that floats your boat.

I was leanin' towards goldbrand since that seemed like a pretty good weapon for a temple-paladin-necromancer type weirdo I've been making, but I don't think I've ever even come across an ebony scimitar. I'm all about an original, broken enchant; what are some good ideas? Since you can only enchant with a single effect, right?

e: I love that in M'iaqs lies there's woven in just a teeny bit of truth about something that, so far as I know, is the only in-game pointer towards it. It's too bad there's a journal entry associated with it to tip you off completely.

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 23, 2014

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

ForeverSmug posted:

You n'wah.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

read the txt files that come with it next time before you blame TR for your own mistakes :downs:

also where you see tribunal.bsa and bloodmoon.bsa add a line of "Archive 3=TR_Data.bsa"

mbt fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 24, 2014

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

SunAndSpring posted:

open morrowind.ini and do a search for [Archives], under it are the registered morrowind and expansion bsa files. add your mod bsa files there.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

didnt pick acrobatics as a major or minor for the first time... ever, making leveling a lot slower. only level 3 after hours of playing some how. rebirth fixed or diminished all of my go to make a bunch of cash in the first 30 minutes of the game. actually having to manage my money so i can loving fast travel to my next destination hasnt been a thing since i first started this game. managed to kill an orc with an orcish warhammer and some other dude with a glass jinx blade so now im not a total scrub, but still getting dominated by dremora lords. not enough gold to even enchant the hammer with some poo poo 5 dmg on strike spell.

moving the difficulty slider up, using high rez textures and meshes, and some other mods has really breathed new life into this game. openmw is going to rule.

tl dr morrowind owns

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm still enjoying and kicking rear end in Morrowind with my long blade, resto and medium armor paladin sort of dude. I kicked that one fire mage guy's rear end pretty hard in the cave near the beginning and got the drugs out of there to sell to the cat dudes. Also I did my first enchant, I spent like 1500g to put a 3-8 point or so heal on strike on my sword and it works pretty good, but it really sucks only having 10 charges per rest. Guess I need to capture a soul that isn't petty for my next weapon. Either way, game owns.

edit: do the caves and poo poo ever respawn if I want to go back and test out new equipment/spells by kicking dudes asses? It seems I already have to walk a lot to find new poo poo I haven't killed yet

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 24, 2014

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I always level acrobatics by crossing any hill i find on my path between two cities and hammering on jump.

thunkthunkthunkthunkthunkthunkthunk

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

oh yeah, and deliver that slave in hla oad to that dude, kill the dude with the slave and take his Ring of Medusa's gaze. that thing ooooowns

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Hog Butcher posted:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

mods rear end posted:

enchant yourself an ebony scimitar with some seriously broken poo poo

For real what is/are the most broken enchant/s for a fresh on-strike weapon?

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Closing off some of the ways to make ridiculous money really quickly does make things a little more interesting, however I do wish they'd combined it with making basic enchantment services cheaper (to the point where you might conceivably be able to pay for them legitimately). It's kinda silly that a cheap war axe with 5 - 10 pts of magic damage sells for < 100 coins but if you try to commission one you're paying fuckloads. BTB's enhancements balanced this really well but they also took out making your own spells altogether which is a shame.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

The Protagonist posted:

weakness to magicka, absorb health

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

You can put more than one effect in a new enchant? Without mods?

Also armortalk: I really wish there was a full set of imperial dragonscale, it's one of the coolest lookin' mediums imo

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

The Protagonist posted:

paralysis + soul trap with azura's star

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

The Protagonist posted:

You can put more than one effect in a new enchant? Without mods?

Also armortalk: I really wish there was a full set of imperial dragonscale, it's one of the coolest lookin' mediums imo

you can put however many effects you want :cool:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Hog Butcher posted:

I always level acrobatics by crossing any hill i find on my path between two cities and hammering on jump.

i do this too even though i ctd 100% more often doing it.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Cannot Find Server posted:

i do this too even though i ctd 100% more often doing it.

there's also a tiny chance of punching through the hill (especially that loving bear trap of a hill outside balmora) and ending up in the hidden secret ocean under the landmass

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Hog Butcher posted:

there's also a tiny chance of punching through the hill (especially that loving bear trap of a hill outside balmora) and ending up in the hidden secret ocean under the landmass

weird. i jump everywhere like a compulsion, and machine gun jumping up a hill is the most satisfying thing but i have only had this happen a few times

got my first 2k since robbing seyda neen, time to enchant a ring with some low level levitate.

e: wow probably rebirth or some other mod is making it so i cant enchant levitate. guess jump and slow fall will have to do

kazr fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 24, 2014

Lost Covenant
Dec 9, 2009

The Protagonist posted:

Haha, yeah, I was pretty shocked when I found it the first time.

Long blade is always a good choice as a weapon skill. Long blade seems to have good swords at every tier - an unenchanted daedric katana by itself is pretty much enough to wreck everything in the game. As far as artifacts go, Goldbrand is a great choice - often my favourite, but if you do the Tribunal main quest you'll be able to pick up Hope's Fire and True Flame which are better IIRC.

Unrelated, but when I was playing MW the other day I found an ebony shortsword buried up to the hilt in the hills above Balmora. That blew my mind. I've put so much time into Morrowind over the years that I'm shocked to still find stuff I've never discovered before.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is that near where the hlaalu mansion gets built? it's quest-related, i think

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Lost Covenant posted:

Unrelated, but when I was playing MW the other day I found an ebony shortsword buried up to the hilt in the hills above Balmora. That blew my mind. I've put so much time into Morrowind over the years that I'm shocked to still find stuff I've never discovered before.

I remember I found this one time on the original Xbox Morrowind a decade ago, and I've never been able to find it since.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Mortimer posted:

read the txt files that come with it next time before you blame TR for your own mistakes :downs:

also where you see tribunal.bsa and bloodmoon.bsa add a line of "Archive 3=TR_Data.bsa"

Serves me right for not reading the loving manual, I guess.

Also, beat the Main Quest with Gunter. Guess I'll go explore the mainland or some poo poo, then.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I'm currently exploring some of Tamriel Rebuilt for the first time! So far it's really well made but there's a lot of fairly empty space. You go wandering in a swamp and it turns out it's just a swamp instead of two mushrooms and a stagnant pool concealing a smuggler's den, a daedric ruin, a fishing village, two shipwrecks and fifty furious cliffracers.

Also the writing on the NPC's so far is a welcome relief compared those from the LGNPC project. I just walked into a market and chatted with a Breton woman selling pots. Her backstory was, "Me? I sell pots. I love pots! In the potting community I'm kinda of a big deal.". After meeting a bunch of edgy grimdark ex-assassins with multi-page backstories full of rape and tragedy, meeting a woman who was just really into pots is kinda :3:

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Fargo Fukes posted:

Also the writing on the NPC's so far is a welcome relief compared those from the LGNPC project. I just walked into a market and chatted with a Breton woman selling pots. Her backstory was, "Me? I sell pots. I love pots! In the potting community I'm kinda of a big deal.". After meeting a bunch of edgy grimdark ex-assassins with multi-page backstories full of rape and tragedy, meeting a woman who was just really into pots is kinda :3:

guess you haven't gotten into the pot fight club questline yet :shrug:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Necrom is a rad city. I should really make a house mod for it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I installed the teleportation ring mod after an afternoon of playing because ffs I'm not 15 anymore, I don't have time to spend an hour slowly walking back to places I've already been to.

Penguingo posted:

in seriousness it's not the brown palette that's the problem anymore, with the graphics overhaul. it's running out of magicka to cast night eye or light in a daedric ruin or sixth house base, and groping desperately through pitch blackness

If you used Morrowind Overhaul go to Data Files on the launcher screen and disable True_Lights_And_Darkness, stumbling around in the pitch black is tedious bullshit especially when the game wasn't built around it in the first place. Also turn off AtmosphericSoundEffects to keep from going crazy hearing the same handful of low-bitrate sound files looping constantly in Balmora and MW Containers Animated because considering the zillion containers you'll be opening while playing the game those unnecessary animations waste like an hour or two of your life when you add them up.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Holy poo poo how many in game days does Boethia's quest actually take? That's kinda cool and annoying at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If you used Morrowind Overhaul go to Data Files on the launcher screen and disable True_Lights_And_Darkness, stumbling around in the pitch black is tedious bullshit especially when the game wasn't built around it in the first place. Also turn off AtmosphericSoundEffects to keep from going crazy hearing the same handful of low-bitrate sound files looping constantly in Balmora and MW Containers Animated because considering the zillion containers you'll be opening while playing the game those unnecessary animations waste like an hour or two of your life when you add them up.

I did all of these things within 10 minutes of leaving Seyda Neen.

• Locked thread