Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yeah, like, almost none of it holds up anymore but there's two ways to write to children. You can create imaginative stories that entertain and at least attempt to respect the audience, or you dangle keys in front of their face and hope they buy the toys behind them.

I mean like, just the name Super Megaforce is ... What the gently caress does that even mean? Megaforce alone is a name that doesn't really mean anything, and this is derived from a show where the basic concept is often directly in the loving name. "Express Service Train Rangers" is like, literally ToQGers name (Well actually it'd be like Train Soldiers Express Line Ranger but that sounds worse)... Super Megaforce is like, someone just dumped the portfolio in my lap and was like "yeah they're coolest whatever now sell these toys".

I mean that they're skipping GoBusters is actually sort of telling. It doesn't really matter what GoBusters ratings were in Japan (it sure as hell hasn't stopped them in the past), and it's not like they haven't reshot actor-heavy poo poo in the past. It's because GoBusters doesn't have a gimmick line to go alongside the show, and Kyoryuger DOES, so they don't want to waste a year selling JUST Zords and JUST action figures when they can sell more poo poo like Ranger Keys and Gosei Cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollove
May 31, 2013
Im just laughing so hard at how SuperMegaforce is turning out, like "No no they're not pirate of course they aren't. OF COURSE those are new powers what are you TALKING about?" It's like a beautiful trainwreck :allears:

I really doubt Neo-Saban will get their act together any time soon, or ever, but I guess I still want to keep some hope that things can turn good eventually. I mean, is it bad to have some hope?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Dino Charge bumped to 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rei_ posted:

I mean like, just the name Super Megaforce is ... What the gently caress does that even mean? Megaforce alone is a name that doesn't really mean anything, and this is derived from a show where the basic concept is often directly in the loving name. "Express Service Train Rangers" is like, literally ToQGers name (Well actually it'd be like Train Soldiers Express Line Ranger but that sounds worse)... Super Megaforce is like, someone just dumped the portfolio in my lap and was like "yeah they're coolest whatever now sell these toys".

I think part of it was Saban wanting to avoid the whole angel motif that Goseiger had going on due to soccer moms and part of it was that I think they wanted something generic for the 20th anniversary, which is why Gokaiger is being used as an upgrade rather than a new team, so it can still fall under the umbrella of 20th anniversary series.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Apollove posted:

I really doubt Neo-Saban will get their act together any time soon, or ever, but I guess I still want to keep some hope that things can turn good eventually. I mean, is it bad to have some hope?
Always having hope is one of the most important lessons from sentai.
However, with new Saban, I wouldn't hold my breath

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

Apollove posted:

Im just laughing so hard at how SuperMegaforce is turning out, like "No no they're not pirate of course they aren't. OF COURSE those are new powers what are you TALKING about?" It's like a beautiful trainwreck :allears:

You got my color wrong.

OH NO ARE THE ALIENS ATTACKING? WELL, RANGERS YOU BETTER GO

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Okay, ToQGer is a hell of a lot more fun than it has any right to be. Excited for subs.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So people are saying Super Megaforce 2 has a lot less talking. We'll see how much less talking, because episode 1...had a lot of talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6BS3GHrJ44

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

I have never loved Toku more than before. :allears:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tae posted:

So people are saying Super Megaforce 2 has a lot less talking. We'll see how much less talking, because episode 1...had a lot of talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6BS3GHrJ44

It could definitely be worse. I remember Power Rangers being this quippy though. Maybe a little less, but it hits B or C action movie dialogue levels which is about par. It's a dead air thing that they just can't seem to get over and for a child, it's less entertaining. Also, Saban probably did test runs a while back with more and less dialogue and the results said that this was better for the demographic than otherwise.

Now that doesn't mean that the story can't be good, but :effort:

Edit: Here's something where the Power Rangers don't actually talk at all! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5VYtmK_TMY
Sadly, the commentators don't seem to shut up, but that's probably because it's their job. Or because it's American TV.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 23, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I always assumed that since in Japan the suit actors are a lot more directly part of the process, there's more involvement between all the different parts that go together. Whereas if you bring that over here, it's just a bunch of footage to talk over, so they talk over it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Just caught up on Kyoryuger after not watching for a month and a half (so the last four episodes, plus the first of Tokyu.) I have to agree that it was disappointing. Aside from the red-centric stuff which others have mentioned I though that whats her name becoming Cyan was out of the blue and then having those two do basically nothing was a little bit odd. I still don't get how gold came back to life (he just did?) but don't really mind it since his death wasn't really set up or foreshadowed and would have seemed pointless. I thought the final villains were lacking in menacing-ness too, it was hard to fear ol' butterfly lips. That said there were good parts, the final plan was at least an interesting one and the Kyoryugers had to do some interesting stuff to stop it.

As to Tokyuger, I went into it hoping that the red wasn't going to be another Alata, just based on his looks. He seems to be a bit of an idiot but not awful so thats okay, though he didn't get too much time to show off his personality. The color changing sounded interesting but from the way they've shown it I fear it will be nothing more than a less interesting Gokai change and suspect that it will get old quick. Rest of the team is okay I guess, with blue being the stand out again. Villain suits look nice and if they are going to be haunted house based that will be a plus for me as I like that motif. The train stuff- I do like the idea of an ever moving secret base but I dunno, I suspect that CGI budgets will shove a lot of it off-screen within the month. Remember those people who thought there would be a dragon fight every other Wizard episode? It will probably be like that. When they showed the zord toys I said that they looked a bit goofy but that I liked the originality in the combination scheme. Here I definitely like the "suspenders" and only hope that it doesn't quickly become covered in Shinkengeresque stupid poo poo busying up the design. Oh and as to the ranger suits, there's just something off about Greens. Its too bright and makes him look like one of the green spandexmen at a sporting event. I honestly don't know if I will continue watching. I have a real job now (and have for almost a year) and with much less time around childrens tv seems like a good place to cut back. I already gave up on KR after forcing myself to finish Wizard, sentai is pretty close to the chopping block, regardless of the season's quality.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Cliff Racer posted:

Just caught up on Kyoryuger after not watching for a month and a half (so the last four episodes, plus the first of Tokyu.) I have to agree that it was disappointing. Aside from the red-centric stuff which others have mentioned I though that whats her name becoming Cyan was out of the blue and then having those two do basically nothing was a little bit odd. I still don't get how gold came back to life (he just did?) but don't really mind it since his death wasn't really set up or foreshadowed and would have seemed pointless. I thought the final villains were lacking in menacing-ness too, it was hard to fear ol' butterfly lips. That said there were good parts, the final plan was at least an interesting one and the Kyoryugers had to do some interesting stuff to stop it.

Yuko becoming Cyan was somewhat foreshadowed (The episode where Nobuharu had Ramirez at their house and said he was some sort of drifter I think?). This was about the time they did the episode with Grey and his ancestor, setting up the idea that the Spirit Rangers would need to pass along their powers at some point, so one could look at both of them and realize there would be a moment where Ramirez and Tessai would pass their powers off to them.

They could have handled it better then just happening at the last two episodes and then having no screen time, but that seems par for the course with sentai endings.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Yuko also got to join a long list of Sentai stars who got to play two different rangers. I can only assume Nao Nagasawa is next since she's already in drat near everything (Including two different Kamen Rider roles.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Flameingblack posted:

Yuko also got to join a long list of Sentai stars who got to play two different rangers. I can only assume Nao Nagasawa is next since she's already in drat near everything (Including two different Kamen Rider roles.)

Well, she was the voice of one of the fake Hurricangers in Akiba S2. Does that count?

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, she was the voice of one of the fake Hurricangers in Akiba S2. Does that count?

Not officially.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yuko has Kamen Rider experience as well, she was the Triceratops Dopant. And Ahim from Gokaiger was the sister in the Energy Dopant episode, both from W.

And Nao of course was the Invisible Dopant

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

W had a ton of past cameos. Off the top of my head, NEVER's Trigger Dopant was Bouken Silver. Dr. Prospect from the Eternal movie was played by the same actor who was Dyna Black and Goggle Black. His bodyguards were Abare Blue and Lily the thief from Gekiranger.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Wasn't the Arms Dopant AbareRed?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

Wasn't the Arms Dopant AbareRed?

Yup.

Wikipedia has a full list of Dopants, and they list which ones are past toku actors.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dexie posted:

Yup.

Wikipedia has a full list of Dopants, and they list which ones are past toku actors.

Wikipedia posted:

Only in the movie, there are Dopants that use the power of Cyclone, Joker, Heat, Luna, Trigger and Joker Gaia Memories.

What? Aside from horrible sentence structure, Metal is left out and Joker which is not used by a Dopant is listed twice. :eng99:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Potsticker posted:

What? Aside from horrible sentence structure, Metal is left out and Joker which is not used by a Dopant is listed twice. :eng99:
Here's Metal. He wasn't anyone significant.

That's because Shotaro is the trump card. No really, Shotaro gets the Joker dopant in that movie and uses it himself in the Lost Driver to become Kamen Rider Joker.

And Luna was the best Dopant. Genki Sudo is :allears:

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 23, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

Here's Metal. He wasn't anyone significant.

That's because Shotaro is the trump card. No really, Shotaro gets the Joker dopant in that movie and uses it himself in the Lost Driver to become Kamen Rider Joker.

And Luna was the best Dopant. Genki Sudo is :allears:

I was complaining about the editing, but thanks, and Shotaro does get the T2 Joker Gaiamemory, but using it in the Lost Driver hardly makes him a Dopant! There was some novels or something that were supposed to have a Joker Dopant in it or something? I think I remember something about that posted around here before.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Potsticker posted:

I was complaining about the editing, but thanks, and Shotaro does get the T2 Joker Gaiamemory, but using it in the Lost Driver hardly makes him a Dopant! There was some novels or something that were supposed to have a Joker Dopant in it or something? I think I remember something about that posted around here before.
Since Shotaro straight up mentions how he's the only one (I forget the line) I honestly don't mind that there's no Joker dopant, and I love the look of Kamen Rider Joker.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Potsticker posted:

Yuko has Kamen Rider experience as well, she was the Triceratops Dopant. And Ahim from Gokaiger was the sister in the Energy Dopant episode, both from W.

And Nao of course was the Invisible Dopant

Didn't Yuko's actress play Rinko in Wizard as well?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 24, 2014

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Larryb posted:

Wasn't she the detective in Wizard as well?

Nope. I'm convinced they wanted Nao to play Rinko, but couldn't get her so instead went for a poor imitation.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Larryb posted:

Wasn't she the detective in Wizard as well?

Rinko? No, but Nao was the kickboxing teacher in Fourze!

Rinko's actress, Ayumi(Yuko) and Nao did star in a movie together, though. A weird dimension hopping flick that was on the lower side of mediocre.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
http://youtubedoubler.com/bMOR

ToQGer ep.1:

Are... Are they ripping off Final Fantasy 8?.. :stare:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 24, 2014

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I just realized that we're probably going to get Kyoryuger 1-5 at some point in the TQR/Kyruo movie... :allears:

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Race Realists posted:

ToQGer ep.1:

Are... Are they ripping off Final Fantasy 8?.. :stare:

Yup, it sure is Final Fantasy 8: the game where it turns out that the main cast knew each other long ago but realize it within minutes of meeting each other again after being apart for years.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

AzraelNewtype posted:

Yup, it sure is Final Fantasy 8: the game where it turns out that the main cast knew each other long ago but realize it within minutes of meeting each other again after being apart for years.

He meant the trains.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pasteurized Milk posted:

He meant the trains.

Maybe he meant the fact that the protagonists are already dead?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

AzraelNewtype posted:

Pasteurized Milk posted:

He meant the trains.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Maybe he meant the fact that the protagonists are already dead?

I love you all

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.

Potsticker posted:

Rinko? No, but Nao was the kickboxing teacher in Fourze!

Rinko's actress, Ayumi(Yuko) and Nao did star in a movie together, though. A weird dimension hopping flick that was on the lower side of mediocre.

Yuko was also HUMAN SKYDYNE from the Fourze movie.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
"They treat line changing like a toy gimmick." Never loving change Sentai.

Subs for ToQ #2 are out.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I'm having a lot of fun with these first two episodes, and I'm thankful OT decided to pick it up.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah ToQger is great so far, I like the theme and the duel in episode 2 was pretty cool. I can't help but be reminded of Den-O when I see the flying trains and stuff, but that's not a bad thing.

Apollove
May 31, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

I can't help but be reminded of Den-O when I see the flying trains and stuff, but that's not a bad thing.

It's literally written by the same person who made Den-o

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I'm onboard after that train duel. I found it equally exciting and funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Sentai has gone way too long without a sexy robot.

• Locked thread