Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Prison Warden posted:

I think the implication was that Vegeta conceived of the technique too, same as Goku, it's just that like Goku, he just instantly knew that it wouldn't work, whereas Trunks went along with it.

Although why he didn't try the whole "be Super Saiyan all the time" for his second year in the time chamber I'll never figure out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

carry on then posted:

Although why he didn't try the whole "be Super Saiyan all the time" for his second year in the time chamber I'll never figure out.
GokuKakarot did it, I ain't doing that. :colbert:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

I thought this thread hit peak nerd a while ago, but then somebody thought of explaining power levels using gun metaphors. I guess there's a level above peak nerd??

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Arale could've beaten Bills.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

carry on then posted:

Again, I'm not sure if it showed up in the dub/kai (I was a big user of those horrible fan translations discussed earlier when I was younger), but I remember Vegeta saying he really didn't get anything out of his second year in the time chamber. Maybe it was more due to Goku humbling him by being much stronger than him after Goku's first year and not needing it a second time more than some kind of training plateau, but it definitely came up that he could not reach Goku and Gohan's level.

Here's something I just thought of the other day. In the early days of my DBZ-fandom and internet usage, I would go on a bunch of lovely fan websites for Dragon Ball Z. One of them was Greg Werner's website (which, holy poo poo, is still here http://www.thegrandline.com/dbzinfo/frames.html). The links are all broken as hell, but there was a section where he showed stuff that was censored/cut from the Ocean dub (before the presence of uncut episodes were a thing), which was interesting to a 12 year old me. All of his stuff came from fan-subs, and several panels also showed the characters using really foul language according to the subtitles. Did anyone ever watch any of these fan-subs? Were the translations that bad? I'm sure the original Japanese dialogue may have been a tad more mature than especially the Ocean Dub, but I seriously doubt Goku was saying the Japanese equivalent of "Go gently caress yourself" to Nappa or others.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ah ha! I vividly remember seeing a screen cap of Vegeta calling 15 a "candy rear end human being", and I'm pretty sure it was from that site.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

a cartoon duck posted:

Arale could've beaten Bills.

Truth. If Dr. Gero really wanted Goku dead, he would've stolen Senbei's blueprints. Or bought a Caramelman.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

crankdatbatman posted:

Again, I'm not sure if it showed up in the dub/kai (I was a big user of those horrible fan translations discussed earlier when I was younger), but I remember Vegeta saying he really didn't get anything out of his second year in the time chamber. Maybe it was more due to Goku humbling him by being much stronger than him after Goku's first year and not needing it a second time more than some kind of training plateau, but it definitely came up that he could not reach Goku and Gohan's level.

Here's something I just thought of the other day. In the early days of my DBZ-fandom and internet usage, I would go on a bunch of lovely fan websites for Dragon Ball Z. One of them was Greg Werner's website (which, holy poo poo, is still here http://www.thegrandline.com/dbzinfo/frames.html). The links are all broken as hell, but there was a section where he showed stuff that was censored/cut from the Ocean dub (before the presence of uncut episodes were a thing), which was interesting to a 12 year old me. All of his stuff came from fan-subs, and several panels also showed the characters using really foul language according to the subtitles. Did anyone ever watch any of these fan-subs? Were the translations that bad? I'm sure the original Japanese dialogue may have been a tad more mature than especially the Ocean Dub, but I seriously doubt Goku was saying the Japanese equivalent of "Go gently caress yourself" to Nappa or others.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"It's not for kids! Take me seriously, damnit!" :qq:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Metal Loaf posted:

It was like eerie forshadowing of adult fans of cartoons in the present day.

Rudoku posted:

Truth. If Dr. Gero really wanted Goku dead, he would've stolen Senbei's blueprints. Or bought a Caramelman.

Let's be honest here. Arale could beat Baby possessed Buu after absorbing Omega Shenron. In one panel.

The real question is, could Arale beat Saitama?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Metal Loaf posted:

"YOU loving BLEW UP MY HOUSE!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

The real question is, could Arale beat Saitama?

Saitama's just budget Luckyman anyway so yes. :colbert:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

crankdatbatman posted:

http://www.thegrandline.com/dbzinfo/frames.html). The links are all broken as hell, but there was a section where he showed stuff that was censored/cut from the Ocean dub (before the presence of uncut episodes were a thing), which was interesting to a 12 year old me. All of his stuff came from fan-subs, and several panels also showed the characters using really foul language according to the subtitles. Did anyone ever watch any of these fan-subs? Were the translations that bad? I'm sure the original Japanese dialogue may have been a tad more mature than especially the Ocean Dub, but I seriously doubt Goku was saying the Japanese equivalent of "Go gently caress yourself" to Nappa or others.

Oh man I remember that site and I seriously thought that Japanese cartoons were full of swearing. I also remember when funimation was like the most hated anime company, boy did opinions really turn around on that one.

But yeah, fan subs used to have a ton of swears. Hell some official dubs back in the day had a ton of swears (often with hilarious results) :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 24, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I don't think having swears is weird when it's something like Angel Cop.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Genocyber posted:

I don't think having swears is weird when it's something like Angel Cop.

The dubbers were just trying to be edgy when they put curse words in an anime where people are horrifically shot to death in graphic detail.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I never said that swearing isn't appropriate in angel cop or that angel cop is a good show but if you're saying that the dub of angel cop didn't add at least some level hilarity some of those lines, then I don't know what to tell you.

But in any case, I do remember fansubbers adding in quite a bit of swears back in the day.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Stuff like Angel Cop and some of the other series I found in the "related videos" section (Mad Bull, Cyber City, Psycho Diver; I've never heard of these series before because my knowledge of anime in general is pretty limited) were pretty clearly aimed at an older audience. I was thinking more along the lines of fansubbers cramming a bunch of swearing into brightly-coloured shonen schlock because they want it to be for adults.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Metal Loaf posted:

(Mad Bull, Cyber City, Psycho Diver; I've never heard of these series before because my knowledge of anime in general is pretty limited)

Don't feel bad, they are deservedly obscure. The Wikipedia page for Mad Bull actually has a link to an article about it called Buried Garbage.

As bad as it was in Japanese, the dubs didn't help at all though. They made Big Green seem like pure art.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 24, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Don't feel bad, they are deservedly obscure. The Wikipedia page for Mad Bull actually has a link to an article about it called Buried Garbage.

As bad as it was in Japanese, the dubs didn't help at all though. They made Big Green seem like pure art.

80s/90s bad exploitative anime is the best. Reason? http://i.imgur.com/OsQ0acj.jpg :nws:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

Stuff like Angel Cop and some of the other series I found in the "related videos" section (Mad Bull, Cyber City, Psycho Diver; I've never heard of these series before because my knowledge of anime in general is pretty limited) were pretty clearly aimed at an older audience. I was thinking more along the lines of fansubbers cramming a bunch of swearing into brightly-coloured shonen schlock because they want it to be for adults.

Chip and Ironicus has two parts of Mad Bull up on their site and it's pretty funny.
:nws: for 80's anime breasts http://chipandironicus.com/videos/anime/2.html :nws:
Eddie BEEEEE-ANNNNN

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Metal Loaf posted:

Yeah I figured that was it in relation to the DBZ fan-subs. Of course, my younger self ate it up because I wanted my Dragon Ball to be serious entertainment for serious people.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Cornwind Evil posted:

Remember the original Ocean dub where they gave the Makkankosappo/Special Beam Cannon the properties of a literal laser and Radditz dodging it meant he could move, as a shocked Piccolo said, 'faster than the speed of light'?)

Even though it was a bad dub - it was probably around that fast. ;)

Remember, the most powerful, straight-forward blasts they had would get to the moon/out of the upper atmosphere/etc. pretty much immediately. And people were moving (not distance, but reaction, which is typical for anime) in many machs waaaayy back in Dragon Ball, before 5 or so huge power jumps (Krillin and Roshi having to slow down ridiculously for the crowd to see anything when going full out, Tao Pai Pai running after his thrown pillars, etc.). With all those silly exponential jumps, the "fastest" blasts (the most juiced up ones that just went straight, or stuff liek Freeza's finger beam) would probably be around that speed, and they were around that speed, themselves when they could finally react to that kind of stuff.

It's easy to forget that they are -always- fighting at ridiculous super-speeds when watching the anime, obviously, but the manga pretty much reads that way entirely.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, something struck me as I was watching Revenge of Cooler abridged.

Was there ever any point past the Saiyan saga where Gohan has his tail? Because he has his tail in Revenge of Cooler, which takes place in VAGUELY DEFINED POST-NAMEK TIME FRAME. Not that there's any point in trying to talk about continuity with the movies, I just don't get why they even give him his tail back when the closest it comes to mattering is enabling one scene where one of Cooler's goons spins Gohan around by his tail - it's not like he goes Monkey or anything.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, something struck me as I was watching Revenge of Cooler abridged.

Was there ever any point past the Saiyan saga where Gohan has his tail? Because he has his tail in Revenge of Cooler, which takes place in VAGUELY DEFINED POST-NAMEK TIME FRAME. Not that there's any point in trying to talk about continuity with the movies, I just don't get why they even give him his tail back when the closest it comes to mattering is enabling one scene where one of Cooler's goons spins Gohan around by his tail - it's not like he goes Monkey or anything.

No, he never did. I don't think anyone did, Goten, Trunks, no tails.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

furiouskoala posted:

No, he never did. I don't think anyone did, Goten, Trunks, no tails.

Goku does in GT

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I seem to recall that in some of toriyama's design sketches for SSJ3, Goku had his tail grow back, which I really wish he'd went with.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Holy crap, it's Sonic the Hedgehog!"

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
New Abridged episode is up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe2FaWzlquM

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Yajirobe and Korin's relationship is turning from a simple running gag to actually kind of sweet. :3:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I gotta admit, I'm surprised they keep finding new ways to keep Popo funny, that and Yajiobe and Korin's whole thing is pretty nice. I so excited for next episode though, it's the moment I've been waiting for since Nail fusion.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I found it especially clever since it allows them to use footage of him looking worried and not have it be inconsistent.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I was wondering how they were going to handle popo here. Hopefully it will be funnier next episode.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
:lsd:All these squares make a circle.:lsd:

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Elfgames posted:

:lsd:All these squares make a circle.:lsd:

He isn't wrong, you know.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
What did Piccolo say just before he blasted at Krillin?

Oh my Me?

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Mister Roboto posted:

What did Piccolo say just before he blasted at Krillin?

Oh my Me?

"Oh my other me, shut up!"

Same basic idea.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Fantastic episode! I'm loving the androids, especially No. 16. Nice foreshadowing of Cell, too.

"Hey mom, why do you never seem to age?"
"Your father won't let me."

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Eh, I found it to be a weak episode to be honest. In fact the entire Android arc has been pretty disappointing. It seems to me that TFS blew their load on the Freeza Saga, which was amazing, and are going to be hard-pressed to get that level of quality back.

Hopefully Cell will be a return to form. I remember the Android arc in the actual series was boring as hell also, so maybe they just don't have much to work with right now.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Esroc posted:

Eh, I found it to be a weak episode to be honest. In fact the entire Android arc has been pretty disappointing. It seems to me that TFS blew their load on the Freeza Saga, which was amazing, and are going to be hard-pressed to get that level of quality back.

Hopefully Cell will be a return to form. I remember the Android arc in the actual series was boring as hell also, so maybe they just don't have much to work with right now.

While I agree that it was a fairly weak episode overall, I think that partially had to do with what they were covering and it not giving them a lot of room for jokes. Freeza got that way some towards the end too, if I remember right. But overall I disagree, and think it's been on a pretty steady upward trajectory from the start.

Then again I liked everything after the Freeza Saga in the actual show better too, so maybe I'm biased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Esroc posted:

My rebuttal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI27oG5HzyQ

• Locked thread