Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

TraderStav posted:

My question to this is But to what end? What narrative purpose does breaking the fourth wall serve aside from 'oooh look I broke the fourth wall'? How would doing so serve to the underlying thesis of the show of being a True DetectiveUnironically interested in answers to that.

Just paraphrasing, but the general idea is that it explains all the circular, cyclical references, that they are literally on a flat DVD that can be popped in a player at any time. They will repeat it endlessly, Reggie LeDoux will always be there ready to die because he knows it's just going to keep happening, their lives are a dream with monster at the end, etc. There are a few things that kind of jive with it like the weird green screen driving last episode, as if it's deteriorating into more obvious signs of being fake.

I read it a few days ago and I can't remember where I was, like a Gawker type site I think. Otherwise I'd link to it. I dismissed it in my head but now I want to read it again so I was wondering if anyone else caught that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

hepscat posted:

Ugh, I read someone's theory in a comment on some other site and now I kind of wish I didn't because I don't want it to bear out and I'd rather not be thinking in those terms. It expands on the moment where Marty says something to the bartender, who is actually the writer on the show - I'll spoiler the rest for a moment so please skip unless that sounds like something you'd like to explore further - that was a moment of breaking the fourth wall and then he goes on to break down all of Rust's philosophical narrative as breaking the fourth wall as well; i.e., Rust Cohle is a fictional character realizing he is in a fictional story. Did anyone else see this theory and have any thoughts on it?

How exactly would it be realized in the narrative? Cohle could look into the camera and fly away like in the Matrix (<====this would be loving sick btw). That ain't gonna happen. The breaking of the fourth wall is the show itself recognizing that Cohle is spouting bullshit, not that Cohle realizes he's in a TV show.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

The new murder was similar in ways that were not released to the press so any copycat killer would have to have inside information or be the original killer

Well, poo poo. Here we go. I'm about to enter the abyss then.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

hepscat posted:

Ugh, I read someone's theory in a comment on some other site and now I kind of wish I didn't because I don't want it to bear out and I'd rather not be thinking in those terms. It expands on the moment where Marty says something to the bartender, who is actually the writer on the show - I'll spoiler the rest for a moment so please skip unless that sounds like something you'd like to explore further - that was a moment of breaking the fourth wall and then he goes on to break down all of Rust's philosophical narrative as breaking the fourth wall as well; i.e., Rust Cohle is a fictional character realizing he is in a fictional story. Did anyone else see this theory and have any thoughts on it?

The show is a commentary on pulp detective narratives, hence the title, which is the exact name of one of the first pulp detective magazines, True Detective (I linked to it up-thread). I see it in similar terms to Twin Peaks, which was a commentary on soap operas and serialized TV drama. In Twin Peaks there's a lot of winking at the camera, but most obviously with the show-within-a-show Invitation to Love, which often has scenes that directly parallel what's happening in the larger plot.

I don't think that there's going to be a twist at the end where Rust taps on the screen, or the shot pulls back and shows that they're on a studio lot. At least if Pizzolato is to be believed, it's going to be a relatively straight story. However, due to the nature of the show, the writing has a lot of clever little tricks that play with the audience, like Pizzolato being the bartender who Marty talks to.

That being said, I would be impressed if they did commit to totally breaking the 4th wall. I don't know if that would be satisfying, or a total cop-out, but it would be interesting to see.

Also, is this the article you're talking about?
http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/true-detective-precap-a-million-yellow-kings-dancing-on-the-head-of-a-pin/

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Art Alexakis posted:

How exactly would it be realized in the narrative? Cohle could look into the camera and fly away like in the Matrix (<====this would be loving sick btw). That ain't gonna happen. The breaking of the fourth wall is the show itself recognizing that Cohle is spouting bullshit, not that Cohle realizes he's in a TV show.

Okay, dumb as this is I'm going to spend tonight's whole episode waiting for Cohle to just look around, take a big long drag from a cigarette, chuckle softly to himself, and just spread his arms and float away. The last shot is just Cohle, floating up, up, over the refinery, up into the sky, over the whole world, which is a flat circle, and then it's a spiral, and Cohle's just flying himself away from all of that.

:unsmith:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Every movie/tv show ever is a prequel to the matrix.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I found it, it was on io9.com

http://io9.com/true-detective-takes-us-to-the-void-at-the-center-of-me-1524756707

and it's the comment by RawheddRexx.

I really prefer this to be a straight narrative with nothing meta about it.

I'm still reading that article but that's a much better treatment of the idea.

hepscat fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 24, 2014

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Chantilly Say posted:

Okay, dumb as this is I'm going to spend tonight's whole episode waiting for Cohle to just look around, take a big long drag from a cigarette, chuckle softly to himself, and just spread his arms and float away. The last shot is just Cohle, floating up, up, over the refinery, up into the sky, over the whole world, which is a flat circle, and then it's a spiral, and Cohle's just flying himself away from all of that.

:unsmith:

HAha,that kind of magic realism would be awesome, just (almost) out of nowhere.

But yeah, I doubt this show is going to end with Stephen King popping in in the last ten minutes and going 'you see, it was about writing a tv show that I made, and the characters are me, Stephen! But now here I am, to tell you it's a show that I wrote and am now in! I was the killer all along ps I want to be Italo Calvino.'

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
As luck would have it I finally stopped procrastinating and binged the previous episodes on demand finishing up just in time. Looking forward to catchin up on theories live :allears:

:siren:no tie:siren:

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 24, 2014

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
Aww. Cole has such a senstive tummy. Violence sickens him :)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you get the opportunity you should kill yourself.

:stare:

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Matthew McConaughey has come a long way from that movie with Jennifer Lopez.

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

"It's our year" - Makarov_ January 2018
^^ Yeah I moved "Mud" up in my dvd queue.

Poor girl could really benefit from EMDR.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

muscles like this? posted:

If you get the opportunity you should kill yourself.

:stare:

That is legitimately one of the coldest things I've ever heard someone say In a movie or tv show.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

I cannot imagine a more effortlessly languid way to flip someone off.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Yellow tie = yellow king. Obviously.

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

"It's our year" - Makarov_ January 2018
Every major character in this show is incredibly hosed up.

edit: True Detective S01 E07 "We're getting the band back together"

Makarov_ fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 24, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Michelle Monaghan, making sweet lemonade out of some boring-rear end lemons.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Pretty neat trick making me sympathize with someone who spent the opening 5 minutes crippling kids for having sex with a consenting partner.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
That episode loving sucked

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

steakmancer posted:

Yeah I kind of agree. I guess you can't hit all home runs.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I feel like that was one of the slower episodes. It cleared up the Rust/Marty rift but not much else.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I disagree on principle, but aside from that it's a set-up for the action in the final act.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

That was my partner's response, but I think it was just the beginning of the final act. They had to bring in Tuttle at some point, and I'm certain we'll see more of how he died and the like.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
This felt like a bridge episode to the last two episodes.

Next episode looks like it's gonna ramp up.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Great episode. Loved the bunny ranch T-Mobile chick being a conduit to Marty's undoing. As well as Rust's, if you think about it.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Not sure how the walking dead thread gets 250 posts and this one gets 5.

steakmancer posted:

I disagree, thought the episode was great. Built on the drama of the relationships and filled in some blank spots of the narrative.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

tomapot posted:

Usually has a lot more bitching.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

tomapot posted:

I disagree, thought the episode was great. Built on the drama of the relationships and filled in some blank spots of the narrative.

Too busy watching to post.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I liked it. Maggie having revenge sex with Rust and telling him, "Thank you but sorry," made me laugh out loud.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I started laughing hysterically when they had their schoolyard brawl complete with the circle of cops cheering them on. Also the lingering shot on the broken taillight was funny. I kind of want to know if Rust didn't get that thing fixed for ten years for sentimental reasons or because he just didn't give a gently caress.

Also I guess it's been a running theme for a while but I liked how they hammered away at the fact that Marty is a really terrible person this episode.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

pixelbaron posted:

This felt like a bridge episode to the last two episodes.

Next episode looks like it's gonna ramp up.

Agreed. It was a little disappointing compared to the excellence of 4 and 5 but it felt like it was necessary to build for what comes. This episode almost felt like a detailing of exactly how poo poo the True Detective world is to its people. Almost like a test to see if Rust and Marty are capable of standing up against such unrelenting misery.

This ending will be great.

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009
I guess it was a down payment after all.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

This episode was worth it for the "you should kill yourself" line.

My loving lord.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Certainly didn't feel slow to me. Actual detective work was done, old characters were brought back to tie threads or implicate other characters, we see the character's at their lowest, and we get a setup for the finale. There wasn't a scene I felt was out of place or killing time.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Pretty neat trick making me sympathize with someone who spent the opening 5 minutes crippling kids for having sex with a consenting partner.

State and Federal law disagree with you. Marty beat up legal adults for having sex with a child who couldn't legally consent.

Still a douche move on Marty's end although I certainly don't sympathize with his rear end whooping. From Rust and Maggie.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Even if it was a little slow the shows still worth it for the acting and the athmosphere.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
^^^ It was a good episode, just more inline with 1-3 then 4-5.

al-azad posted:

Certainly didn't feel slow to me. Actual detective work was done, old characters were brought back to tie threads or implicate other characters, we see the character's at their lowest, and we get a setup for the finale. There wasn't a scene I felt was out of place or killing time.

State and Federal law disagree with you. Marty beat up legal adults for having sex with a child who couldn't legally consent.

Still a douche move on Marty's end although I certainly don't sympathize with his rear end whooping. From Rust and Maggie.

I dunno man, a beating with some blackjack gloves isn't something you just walk off. I don't hate Marty he just seems sort of weak. Today characterized it perfectly with the way that age has eroded his resolve. He doesn't seem to attempt to be a good man like he once had, he just fucks the girl in the rear end and then slurps up some pasta, going with the carnal flow.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

tomapot posted:

Built on the drama of the relationships and filled in some blank spots of the narrative.

I guess maybe that is why it was so disappointing in that it didn't really introduce anything new and just filled in some gaps that we already knew existed. We already knew that Maggie and Marty got divorced, and that Marty and Rust have a big falling out, but both gaps were full of soap opera kind of stuff rather than anything relevant to the case. In fact, I don't really think there is much to analyze in this episode. The Tuttle stuff was probably the most substantive and there's still not a lot there except he got upset when Rust asked about the deacon who was tied to some nude pictures of children and that some of their files were conveniently flooded.

Also I guess for those of you keeping track with the "Marty is one of the killers" theory, he was violent with 4 people this episode alone.

MisterFusion
Mar 8, 2010
I thought it was a great episode. We've learned exactly what Cohle is investigating, who he suspects, why he quit his job, and why he had the falling out with Marty. There's another reference to the man with the scars on his face. But all that notwithstanding, the episode was great because of one line:

"The newspapers are gonna be tough on you. And prison is very... very hard on people who hurt kids. If you get the opportunity you should kill yourself."

Cohled

MisterFusion fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WOLF KIDULT MAN
Jun 13, 2008

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Also I guess for those of you keeping track with the "Marty is one of the killers" theory, he was violent with 4 people this episode alone.

Okay, thanks for justifying this to yourself again.

Is the promo for episode seven online yet?

• Locked thread