Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Sham bam bamina! posted:

That was already posted. Same as how every idea that will ever exist has already been imagined. Really, you've just proven the guy's point. :v:

Aw, spit. Serves me right for skipping a few pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Fast Eddie of all loving people posted:

Mods, you are being too delicate. What we need to make clear here is that we're not interested in seeing any more misogynist, chauvinist bullshit anywhere on the site.

He's finally learning?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

He's finally learning?

He's fairly consistent about that, actually. It's just that he barely ever gets involved in direct moderation, so vast amounts of precisely that tend to pass unnoticed beneath his nose.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

quote:

Bouncing off the "no such thing as originality" claim, I'd like to point out that "Genre Fiction" (Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Horror, Westerns, Film Noir...) are just collections of tropes that are mixed, matched, arranged, and (sometimes) thrown out. Kinda like a cooking recipe.

As someone who actually writes genre fiction, this is about as accurate as saying that cars are just collections of wheels.

gently caress this guy, in other words.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
have the official mascot for the troper furries group

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

crowfeathers posted:

have the official mascot for the troper furries group

It's remarkable that the lovely furry fanart of their mascot is drawn with far more skill and care than the thing itself.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TropeyTheWonderDog

Tropey The Wonder Dog! Howya doin' boy? Whoosagoodboy? That's right, you are!

What's that, Tropey? We're here to talk about something?

Oh, we're here to talk about tropes that use a metaphorical dog like yourself?

And Timmy's fallen in the well? You want us to bury him with rocks? Sounds like a good idea to me! Good boy!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I always enjoy watching Fast Eddie's sledgehammer approach to moderation on the site. If he doesn't like something, he hits it harder than Thor's Hammer.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Arcsquad12 posted:

I always enjoy watching Fast Eddie's sledgehammer approach to moderation on the site. If he doesn't like something, he hits it harder than Thor's Hammer.

Not always. Remember that time Google threatened to pull ads because the site was full of pedophiles, and Fast Eddie's response was to set up a committee chaired by a furry to read as much pedoshit as they could find and perhaps in the fullness of time debate its artistic merit?

He did put the fear of god in Lolita and the Grapes of Wrath, I guess.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

crowfeathers posted:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TropeyTheWonderDog

Tropey The Wonder Dog! Howya doin' boy? Whoosagoodboy? That's right, you are!

What's that, Tropey? We're here to talk about something?

Oh, we're here to talk about tropes that use a metaphorical dog like yourself?

And Timmy's fallen in the well? You want us to bury him with rocks? Sounds like a good idea to me! Good boy!

Why would they use the famous picture of Laika? Now I'm all bummed out. :smith:

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Little Blackfly posted:

Don't watch Space Dandy then, they just did an episode on Laika, like, literally last night.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There's a Doctor Who radio drama where Laika comes back super-intelligent and decides to KILL ALL HUMANS!

It's pretty great.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Little Blackfly posted:

Genius Bonus :smug:

Genius Bonus posted:

Eminem reeferences lots of popular culture, such as movies, celebrities, comic books etc. (the man did a video where he and Dr. Dre were Batman and Robin)

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 24, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Eminem and Dr. Dre dressed as Batman and Robin, two obscure nobodies only hardcore tropers have heard of.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

I've...read some good fanfiction that started on the Spacebattles forums? Is there really anything else to say there?

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
Say which fanfics these were and provide links plz.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I wish TVtropes put out more fiction. :(

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

a terrible person posted:

It's extremely common in the Homestuck fandom to write universes where SBURB/SGRUB never existed. This means that, in all those universes, the characters were not created by paradox-cloning of their ancestors but by natural reproduction. This also means that, in every universe where the game didn't happen but the troll characters exist normally, Sollux is the very likely the Child by Rape of the Psiioniic and the Condesce. Think about it — she's had him enslaved and immobile for thousands of years, she's demonstrated a romantic interest in him, and he had no known love interests with which to reproduce. And it's not like she'd be above that... In Hivefled, Sollux isn't, but he has a late half-sister who was. Also, Karkat's family line is the product of the Condesce and the Grand Highblood forcibly reproducing with the Sufferer as a way of torturing both him and Disciple (since she could never hand in a pail with him for fear of being caught), which has implications about Karkat's existence in other non-clone fics as well.

Or, you know, he could be a mutant. Some kind of genetic throwback/freak occurrence.

What I'm saying is gently caress Homestucks and gently caress their rape fantasies.

Hnnnnnngh, one of my friends brought his troper girlfriend over a few days ago and she spent three hours literally lecturing me about how one of the characters wasn't really a rapist.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Darth TNT posted:

I wish TVtropes put out more fiction. :(

They're too busy writing up trope pages for their work on its characters. Those come first, then the work itself.

quote:

Scaebious

Age:' Twice-changed, approximately 30-40 in human years

Appearance: Short, barely larger than 5 feet tall. Wears black clothes and a Black Cloak, with an enchantment so that his face is perpetually in darkness, and a crimson sash. Carries a pronged staff and a curved sword.

Personality: Cold, manipulative. Despite being an Omnicidal Maniac, is very good at empathy, which he uses to manipulate other's emotions.

Abilities: in addition to being a moderately powerful enchanter, is an adept swordsman. Has bracers that can control Atherites, hive-minded minions.

Weaknesses: physically weak, and also prone to killing those who he probably does not need to. Not really good at blending in, either.

Goals: Use Ardesiél, a Mayincatec Humongous Mecha to destroy all civilizations, in order for the world to be remade.

Motivation: Has taken from myth that his race, the Umber Shades, has been forsaken by their god, and the gods new chosen race, man, is not worthy. So he wants to correct that.

Role in the story: Mostly goes around in the story collecting artifacts, while setting up obstacles for the main characters to slow them down. Doesn't really work. Near the end, talks the main character when alone into giving him what are basically the keys to Ardesiél, appealing to his hunger for glory.

Backstory: Was an umber shade. He was visiting a human town with his tribe, when there was a riot started by a radical priest, provoking violence against umber shades. He was caught, and his itzon, hair-like tentacles, were lopped off. Itzon has religious and physical significance, and is necessary for a Umber Shade aging, meaning that Scaebious does not know how long he has to live. Also, the pain is comparable to having all your digits cut off, and would have the physical side effects at first to removing a cat's whiskers. Scaebious has grown accustomed to this, however.

From the Villain Critiques thread. See, now that he did the hard work of imagining a guy in a black cloak with a sword with a name that sounds like a skin disease, he can write the story of how he wants to destroy the world for some reason.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Is it weird that I'm having more fun working out how to make these characters and plots work, than anything? It's like trying to untangle Christmas tree lights.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

William Bear posted:

They're too busy writing up trope pages for their work on its characters. Those come first, then the work itself.

From the Villain Critiques thread. See, now that he did the hard work of imagining a guy in a black cloak with a sword with a name that sounds like a skin disease, he can write the story of how he wants to destroy the world for some reason.

It's funny that you say it like that. While reading the write up I had the exact same thought. Why do so many of these characters sound like they would spend most of their story time on a chair somewhere cackling at their complete arsenal of one of a kind weapons.

Anyway, this guy is a nice cluster of contradictions. He's cold and dangerous! He's omnicidal and not very strong/moderate enchanter!

I do however think that enchanting your cloak so your face is always covered in shadow is awesome...if only because I also once used it for a character. :coal:

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Is it weird that I'm having more fun working out how to make these characters and plots work, than anything? It's like trying to untangle Christmas tree lights.
Untangling Christmas lights is serious business. :colbert:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Ah yes, the physically weak adept swordsman, the most consistent of all villains. Other than that, a reasonably well made character. At least his motivation is better than "because reasons". Story design seems to acknowledge that protagonist has flaws, thus instantly making the story better than 95% of what TvTropes puts out.

Now it just needs to be written.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

William Bear posted:

And this is the problem with building a story using tropes because then you run into the old bad writing cliché of "I will destroy the world for some reason" which is always compelling. At least this character has something behind him wanting to destroy the world but the character itself is just a random hodge-podge of tropes. He's a cold-blooded psychopath that will murder anyone that gets in his way but he's also quite empathetic. I mean seriously, that is so contradictory that it hurts.

Hmm, this should be this threads troper fiction. Just collecting all of their villains/heroes and pointing out what specifically doesn't work.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 24, 2014

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Testekill posted:

And this is the problem with building a story using tropes because then you run into the old bad writing cliché of "I will destroy the world for some reason" which is always compelling. At least this character has something behind him wanting to destroy the world but the character itself is just a random hodge-podge of tropes. He's a cold-blooded psychopath that will murder anyone that gets in his way but he's also quite empathetic. I mean seriously, that is so contradictory that it hurts.

Hmm, this should be this threads troper fiction. Just collecting all of their villains/heroes and pointing out what specifically doesn't work.

"Religious maniac who wants to destroy the world because he feels personally slighted by God" works for me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ArchangeI posted:

"Religious maniac who wants to destroy the world because he feels personally slighted by God"
I think I have my next D&D bad guy.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The Leper Colon V posted:

I think I have my next D&D bad guy.

At least telling the gods to go gently caress themselves works in D&D. Deities die all the time in D&D and a zealous psychopath works there. Here, we don't even know if the gods used to walk the earth or if they even exist. Now if it's all building up to a nihilistic climax where he discovers that the gods never existed then that could lead into his "scorch the earth" tactic and just murder everyone then that would be pretty interesting.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ArchangeI posted:

Ah yes, the physically weak adept swordsman, the most consistent of all villains. Other than that, a reasonably well made character. At least his motivation is better than "because reasons". Story design seems to acknowledge that protagonist has flaws, thus instantly making the story better than 95% of what TvTropes puts out.

Now it just needs to be written.

:objection: There is a contradiction in your post.

quote:

Name: Lord Eclipse

• Personality: Lord Eclipse seems to vary in personality depending on the day or even on the hour. However, a common thought pattern in him is that a "New Aristocracy" needs to be established, and that the current world order is rotten and without any merit, which is a symptom of magic and power being wielded by people who do not deserve it, and that the weak should be purged in order to achieve "pure society". To this goal, he has established himself within numerous villainous groups, but rarely ever sharing his true goal, as few of them would welcome it. A Bad Boss to an extreme, he seems to enjoy "encouraging" his minions by slaughtering people who failed in particularly violent ways, as an object lesson in what not to do. Even so, he's taken several measures against betrayal, including hidden chips inside people's bodies that bodyjack them if they express a treacherous thought. This alone speaks of his paranoia and forethought - every aspect of his Social Darwinist Dystopia is intended, including the ones most people would think would be negative aspects.

• Abilities: Even his abilities seem to differ between days, though most of the time he has remained consistent - he is capable of opening portals that contain attacks and can then shoot them out whenever he pleases. He is capable of bending light to create deadly illusions that can prove very convincing copies. He has also shown the ability to condense Mana and shoot it out from his hands in powerful "arrows" of force, or keeping them inside to send out explosive shockwaves from his hands or amplify his physical force. As he is a Parallaxus Herald, he also shows abnormal abilities, including, due to the Mark he has, "Kronos", he can induce decay in anything he touches, shoot Chronal Blasts that eviscerate what they hit on the molecular level while aging surrounding areas to prevent regeneration, he has also shown proficiency with a deadly "Mana Sword" that he can form out of one of his hands. He can also input pieces of his soul into people due to this Mark of Heraldry, and use their abilities as his.

• Weaknesses: In order to use the abilities, his Soul Implant victims have to remain alive. As soon as they die, while he gains a boost in Internal Mana, that barely makes up for a loss in versatility. His fatal flaw is his own arrogance and tendency to assume that things are going well.

• Goals: Establish a pure society, regardless who gets hurt during this new society, or the transition.

• Motivation: [Redacted]

• Role in the story: Big Bad of New Dawn V: The Third Requiem, varying roles until then.

• Backstory: [Redacted]

• Relevant Tropes:
[probably nightmare fuel]
Changing abilities? How convenient. :)
He redacted the motivation, not me. Very unfortunate now we can't steal his Original character.
Wait a minute, this guy has a story name. There must be more. Nothing but rambling on his troper page though. :(

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013
The Scaebious profile is not a bad start, and if he were working towards something besides destroying the world, I might be interested. But still, why would you name a fantasy villain Scaebious and not make him a sentient scab with crazy regeneration and really gross powers? Wasted opportunity.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

ArchangeI posted:

Ah yes, the physically weak adept swordsman, the most consistent of all villains.

He's like that one player every MMO guild has who won't let go of that totally worthless sword because, seriously have you seen the boost it gives to this one stat?!

I bet he rolls Need on every loot drop too.

Alpacalips Now posted:

The Scaebious profile is not a bad start, and if he were working towards something besides destroying the world, I might be interested. But still, why would you name a fantasy villain Scaebious and not make him a sentient scab with crazy regeneration and really gross powers? Wasted opportunity.

"My name is Scaebious. I am flesh personified. Become part of me and witness the Perfection of Growth."

Imagine that being said in a creepy choir of halting voices, none of them getting the emphasis on the right words.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
"Very good at empathy" is really loving funny. Empathy isn't a skillset you dweeb it's a character trait! Also, all the "age: unknown" and "motivation: [redacted]" stuff reads like character descriptions on the back of action figure packaging. So mysterious!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Swan Oat posted:

"Very good at empathy" is really loving funny. Empathy isn't a skillset you dweeb it's a character trait! Also, all the "age: unknown" and "motivation: [redacted]" stuff reads like character descriptions on the back of action figure packaging. So mysterious!

Reminds me of that comic about Star Trek: TNG where it's all like, "Troi can understand how other people are feeling. This is her superpower."

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Alpacalips Now posted:

He should be a giant skin mite.

Swan Oat posted:

Also, all the "age: unknown" and "motivation: [redacted]" stuff reads like character descriptions on the back of action figure packaging. So mysterious!
No see, you can't give away all your character's secrets in the profile sheet because the other roleplayers might use it to metagame and then all your super awesome plans will be ruined
:goonsay:

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

vaguely posted:

No see, you can't give away all your character's secrets in the profile sheet because the other roleplayers might use it to metagame and then all your super awesome plans will be ruined
:goonsay:

Jesus gently caress, these villain profiles.

I managed to fit the final boss of a two-year tabletop game on two cue cards. I could probably sum up his backstory and history in two sentences. What is with these people?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

GreenMetalSun posted:

I managed to fit the final boss of a two-year tabletop game on two cue cards. I could probably sum up his backstory and history in two sentences. What is with these people?

They need to know all the tropes involves in their villain because genre fiction is made entirely of tropes

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

GreenMetalSun posted:

Do you mean index cards? Because cue cards are pretty loving big.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Patchwork Shaman posted:

Do you mean index cards? Because cue cards are pretty loving big.

Yeah...unless he's writing a purposely over-the-top villain for a Saturday Night Live sketch, but even I doubt that. I think they do mean index cards.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Penny Paper posted:

Yeah...unless he's writing a purposely over-the-top villain for a Saturday Night Live sketch, but even I doubt that. I think they do mean index cards.
Cue Card 1: "You'll never stop me THIS time!"
Cue Card 2: "I'll get you NEXT time!"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

"My name is Scaebious. I am flesh personified. Become part of me and witness the Perfection of Growth."

Imagine that being said in a creepy choir of halting voices, none of them getting the emphasis on the right words.

What gets me about a lot of the villains in that thread is they seem to have only one motivation, usually vengeance, pride, greed or the wonderfully :airquote: meta :airquote: 'meh,' rather than the swath of motivations that most genre-fic villains actually need to put together their stupid plans.

Think of Sauron, whose motivation really isn't just 'to get the ring back.' His motivation is to wipe out the humans and elves of Middle-Earth. It's also to get his ring back. It's also, specifically, to gently caress up Minas Tirith, because seriously gently caress that place. He's also got secondary motivations- to outdo Sarumon, to kill Gandalf, to punish the ring-stealing hobbits, and to punish Men for their insolence. And all of these motivations funnel down to his troops on the ground, who interpret them in various ways and often fight about their interpretations of those goals. He sends a massive army to Minas Tirith because he thinks that it'll give him everything- the ring-bearer, the death of the kings of men, the death of Gandalf, the destruction of Minas Tirith- and his focus there means that he very nearly misses the fact that the ring has been smuggled into his own lands by a DIFFERENT hobbit.

His own motivations get in the way of his own motivations, is what I'm saying. That's how you do complex villains who are capable of making mistakes.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ah yes, Sauron. I think you will find he is the quintessential Omnicidal Maniac who has raised an Army of Darkness to Take Over The World and reclaim his Artifact of Doom from those Interfering Heroes. I don't think it's too bold to say he might even be a Trope Defining example of the Villain Archetype :smug:

Contains example of:
Bishonen - In deleted scenes from RotK, Sauron took the form of a tall, fair angel :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Shadeoses posted:

Ah yes, Sauron. I think you will find he is the quintessential Omnicidal Maniac who has raised an Army of Darkness to Take Over The World and reclaim his Artifact of Doom from those Interfering Heroes. I don't think it's too bold to say he might even be a Trope Defining example of the Villain Archetype :smug:

Contains example of:
Bishonen - In deleted scenes from RotK, Sauron took the form of a tall, fair angel :swoon:

That made me really angry for a moment there.

• Locked thread