Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ghost Hand posted:

Where did they state this?

On 4chan, where else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ghost Hand posted:

Mechanicus stuff will just be 30k

Most likely, that said, last week they teased the Knight stuff obliquely and this week there's a bit of binary code that translates to "praise the Omnissiah". Whatever the case, I feel like there almost has to be more Knight stuff to justify a codex, given that the rules for the released models are already in the WD.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Most likely, that said, last week they teased the Knight stuff obliquely and this week there's a bit of binary code that translates to "praise the Omnissiah". Whatever the case, I feel like there almost has to be more Knight stuff to justify a codex, given that the rules for the released models are already in the WD.

I doubt that there will be too much more that comes out of it, but it could be neat.

Of course this means that the next Necron Codex release should have a "I Love Bees" style ARG to announce it. Trazyn the Infinite being a douchebag on the internet!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Blacktoll posted:

As an aside, I'm surprised with the amount of people who play with strangers. I haven't done this a single time and it sounds absolutely excruciating.

I moved to a new city and don't know anyone locally who plays Warhammer or even Settlers of Catan. Basically, the only people I know are from my graduate program, and we socialize by going to restaurants and bars and chatting.

I haven't played a game yet since moving here, actually, though that's partly because I want to finish assembling (both physically and logistically) a full-size army and getting an intermediate-stage 3-color paintjob finished on the unpainted portions.

The times in the past when I've played against strangers it's been fine, though ideally I will eventually get acquainted with people and have regular and consistent opponents.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

LordAba posted:

Of course this means that the next Necron Codex release should have a "I Love Bees" style ARG to announce it. Trazyn the Infinite being a douchebag on the internet!

Seems like far too much effort for GW who would just satisfy themselves with some really easy youtube video instead.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Hunt11 posted:

Can you explain how the Wraithknigt will be able to so easily survive an Imperial Knight striking back? Because from what I can see a Knight just has to hit twice with it's main melee weapon to splatter a Wraithknight.

The Knight has three attacks and hits on 4s; each hit will cause either zero, d3+1, or d6+6 wounds. Now, obviously any sixes on the Destroyer rolls will kill you outright, but with the Knight averaging 1.5 hits, you won't actually die from its attacks most of the time. And even when it scores two hits, if it rolls any 1s or even just rolls below-average on its d3+1s, you'll live through things and get to swing ahead of it again next turn.

That said, with the WK hitting on 4s also, it wouldn't be hard for luck to turn against you, but Eldar have easy access to Prescience, Doom, etc, so they can more easily mitigate bad luck.

Master Twig posted:

The knights seem way too overpowered to be in regular 40k. I'm looking at their stats and weapon loadout and if someone had a list with three of them, I don't think even a perfectly tailored tyranid list could beat them. The best anti-vehicle nids have is assault, and they're going to get obliterated in close combat by that strength d weapon.

They'd be fine as an apocalypse unit, but they're way too powerful for standard games. Especially since they're scoring units.

I don't like the increase in really powerful units. Stuff like wraithknights, riptides, screamstars, and now knights. The most powerful things in any book should be named characters. One, because it's fluffy, and two, so you can only take one.

They look really tough on the surface, but there's a number of things to keep in mind about them. First of all, they are walkers with side AV12- that is to say, they are about as tough to put damage results on as a normal Dreadnought. Can your list kill Dreadnoughts? Then you have ways to kill Knights. And with Knights costing almost 400pts each, it's simply not possible to fit all that many of them into a list- 1500pts sees four of them, and you can't even fit a 5th in until 1850 (and that's assuming no allies.)

Their 4++ shield is certainly obnoxious, and a lucky string of rolls could easily see it shrug off most of the hits, but you can counter this in large part by using good movement and deployment strategies; move to the sides of the Knight and force the opponent to pick which facing they will protect. With multiple Knights on the field, you can make their choices very difficult, as often you will be able to get range to two or more of them in a single phase.

Dropping Melta or other units on top of them only magnifies this, and furthermore plays into the Knights other big problem- they can only do so much in a turn. If the other guy has, say, four Knights on the table, he can only do four things per turn- and that's assuming that he is making every charge roll or hitting with every shot from his blast weapons and that he doesn't get locked into combats he doesn't want to be in (enjoy killing off my thirty Boyz while the Klaw chips away at you!) If you dump a small-but-dangerous unit next to the Knight, they have to waste a full turn of movement and shooting and assaults just to deal with it, because they know that if they don't it will come back to haunt them in the future. Delaying tactics can be very effective against a Knight, and this can hark back to the old 5th edition Rhino-blocking tactics.

The real danger of a Knight is in their speed- 12" move is really fast if you aren't used to dealing with something like that coming for you aggressively. Mobile shooting armies will be able to drag them down, but static ones are gonna have some real problems. With 4-5 models on the table, though, it doesn't take much for the game to end poorly for them- I mean, even assuming you assault on turn 2, how hard would it be to miss with every attack for the next three turns? Eighteen dice needing 4+s? I've rolled worse than that before. And two Explodes results will generally be enough to kill a Knight, so even just a couple 6s from the other side can really put a damper on their game plan quickly. Knights have a lot of problems in terms of being anything like a competitive army.

(Incidentally, Tyranids actually fair reasonably well against them, as they have a lot of I5 Monstrous Creatures and will typically be running flyer-heavy forces. It's not perfect, as the explosions can be very awkward, but it can work reasonably well. That assumes, of course, you're playing the Generic Competitive Tyranid List, of course- if not, you will probably get your rear end handed to you because the Tyranid codex doesn't actually have very many good options in it.)

I would also grossly disagree with the idea that special characters should be the most powerful things in the game. I hated the 2e-4e paradigm of "hey my special character kills your whole army by himself because gently caress you Eldrad/Kharne/Calgar/etc is awesome and he should have all of the best stuff ever." The change in 5th/6th to where special characters are expensive units that do unique things (without automatically being army-murdering powerhouses) is far superior. Now, that doesn't mean I particularly like the model size inflation that GW is pushing, but that is a pretty separate issue.

Apollodorus posted:

I'd rather not invest in a whole Farsight Enclave set-up, though I definitely like his Blade Runner rip-off quote. You're saying it would be worth getting Farsight + bodyguard team to use as a Knight-killer, though? Could be interesting, I like his model. Maybe I will get a couple of Piranhas too, I haven't got any yet and am not super crazy about them tbh.

So outflank with TL Missile Pod Crisis suits? They're a less obvious threat than railgun Hammerheads but if I bring 6 of them to a battle and get them going quickly they could end up in a good position before the opponent really had it figured out. Maybe.

Farsight is not a great answer to Knights because he has to get into melee with them, which is where they are strongest- his 4++ and four wounds mean pretty much nothing in the face of Str D hits from the other guy, and 5+2d6 is gonna have a rough time consistently penetrating AV13. Piranhas, however, are excellent against them- they are good at getting in the way of enemy movement because of their wide profile (HEY HEY PAY ATTENTION TO ME HEY HEY!) and can easily maneuver to threaten a facing that is different from your other models, forcing the Knight player to choose where their shield will protect. Remember that you can disembark their Gun Drones to be an additional blocking unit, too- against a Knight, every single unit counts, no matter how small and crappy.

Missile Crisis are a huge pain in the rear end for Knights to deal with- they are fast, have good range, and can threaten them from many angles. 2 Crisis + 3 Shield Drones (one of the rare times I would actually use them) is reasonably cheap and can harry Knights all game long while forcing them to make major detours if they want to actually get a charge off. Just be careful about how you position them so the Knight player can't get lots of easy hits with those large blasts and you should be doing fine, especially if they are backed up by Piranhas and other stuff. (Melta Crisis can also be useful here, though they are a bit more risky.)

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AbusePuppy posted:

Farsight is not a great answer to Knights because he has to get into melee with them, which is where they are strongest- his 4++ and four wounds mean pretty much nothing in the face of Str D hits from the other guy, and 5+2d6 is gonna have a rough time consistently penetrating AV13.

In the normal codex Farsight has the warlord trait that prevent scattering when deepstriking. You don't need CC with him, just pal him up with 3 bodyguards with 2 meltaguns each. That's 6 shots against rear/side armor with S8+2d6... toss on markerlights to make the shots count. Coupled with hammerheads/broadsides in the front and they will blow a chunk out of him.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AbusePuppy posted:

The Knight has three attacks and hits on 4s; each hit will cause either zero, d3+1, or d6+6 wounds. Now, obviously any sixes on the Destroyer rolls will kill you outright, but with the Knight averaging 1.5 hits, you won't actually die from its attacks most of the time. And even when it scores two hits, if it rolls any 1s or even just rolls below-average on its d3+1s, you'll live through things and get to swing ahead of it again next turn.

That said, with the WK hitting on 4s also, it wouldn't be hard for luck to turn against you, but Eldar have easy access to Prescience, Doom, etc, so they can more easily mitigate bad luck.

I think we are just looking at the same information differentially. I see it hitting 1.5 times meaning that 50% of the time the Wraithknight will be hit twice, and with just average rolls from the Knight player then the Wraithknight will die. The Wraithknight will be able to do a number on a knight and unlike 90% or so of the entire 40K line has a decent chance of surviving the combat, but it is still an extremely risky proposition.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Fix posted:

On 4chan, where else?

hah

This would be the first I have heard about it. They have been pretty drat quiet about the Knights as the development has continued. So for someone from FW to come out and say something like this would completely surprise me. It would also have had to have been in the last couple of days as they have pretty much been super seKret about all this stuff - though clearly one guy is leaking stuff to 40k Radio.

The hunt is on though...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

FWIW, these are some of the other knights:

If Forgeworld produces Lancer 2, I'm going to need a second job.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

AbusePuppy posted:

Farsight is not a great answer to Knights because he has to get into melee with them, which is where they are strongest- his 4++ and four wounds mean pretty much nothing in the face of Str D hits from the other guy, and 5+2d6 is gonna have a rough time consistently penetrating AV13. Piranhas, however, are excellent against them- they are good at getting in the way of enemy movement because of their wide profile (HEY HEY PAY ATTENTION TO ME HEY HEY!) and can easily maneuver to threaten a facing that is different from your other models, forcing the Knight player to choose where their shield will protect. Remember that you can disembark their Gun Drones to be an additional blocking unit, too- against a Knight, every single unit counts, no matter how small and crappy.

Missile Crisis are a huge pain in the rear end for Knights to deal with- they are fast, have good range, and can threaten them from many angles. 2 Crisis + 3 Shield Drones (one of the rare times I would actually use them) is reasonably cheap and can harry Knights all game long while forcing them to make major detours if they want to actually get a charge off. Just be careful about how you position them so the Knight player can't get lots of easy hits with those large blasts and you should be doing fine, especially if they are backed up by Piranhas and other stuff. (Melta Crisis can also be useful here, though they are a bit more risky.)

Yeah, good, this is making me feel like my instincts will serve me well. I am thinking of deploying a battlesuit commander, two teams of missile Crisis suits, and a team of fusion/melta Crisis suits.

Piranhas, I guess 2 would be sufficient, deployed separately.

ALSO, here is a rules question. Can I take two of the same weapon on a Crisis suit, or do I have to take them twin-linked? It looks to me like I can't take two fusions per crisis suit, as suggested above, but have to twin-link them instead.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 24, 2014

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

moths posted:

FWIW, these are some of the other knights:

If Forgeworld produces Lancer 2, I'm going to need a second job.

I'm not saying get a second job...

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 24, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Please tell me they are releasing the eldar centaurs as well! :)

Apollodorus posted:

ALSO, here is a rules question. Can I take two of the same weapon on a Crisis suit, or do I have to take them twin-linked? It looks to me like I can't take two fusions per crisis suit, as suggested above, but have to twin-link them instead.

You can take two non-twin linked weapons and fire them both. Check the FAQs at games-workshop site.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

LordAba posted:

Geeze not that I have heard.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ghost Hand posted:

I'm not saying get a second job, but....
Oh you tease :allears:

Played a game last night. It was a 2v2 and I was the only person with a painted army. Most of the game was a drunken mess, past the point where it was even fun. Even then, it was woefully one-sided as my team got rolled by White Scars and Dark Eldar. How can Chaos Marines deal with Venom/Raider spam armies? My heavy support (lascannon Havocs, Vindicators) all feel like overkill on AV10 vehicles, and they have jink saves all the time anyway.

Anyway, I gotta schedule a game for this week with my regular group because that whole evening kinda left a bad taste in my mouth.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

LordAba posted:

You can take two non-twin linked weapons and fire them both. Check the FAQs at games-workshop site.

Oh, cool. Downloading it now!

EDIT: Yup, that's what it says. Any point in setting up a Crisis suit with 1 TL Missile Pod and 1 regular Missile Pod?

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 24, 2014

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Ghost Hand posted:

I'm not saying get a second job...

Where do you get all this info from? Or is that top secret hush-hush?

The Lancer II looks like it's straight out of Judge Dredd.

Noctis Horrendae fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 24, 2014

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Where do you get all this info from?

They let him know ahead of time so he can budget buying all the things appropriately.
Clearly.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Hello I played an apocalypse game last weekend. It was my Dark Angels getting owned by The Chirurgeon's Night Lords and Iron Warrions Here is my list, kinda:

code:
Space Marine battle company
- commander (and a vortex grenade he was too locked in combat to ever throw) and command squad
- terminator chaplain with the cool-rear end model
- 3 dreadnoughts with plasma cannons and missiles or whatever
- 6 tactical squads with plasma gun, plasma cannon, plasma pistol on sarge
- 1 devastator squad, 4x heavy bolters (yes I know these are crap against Chaos Marines, but they look cool so blow me)
- 1 devastator squad, 2x missile launcher, 2xlascannon
- 2x 10 men assault squad with plasma or flamer or whatever, it doesn't matter because they got owned before doing anything
- 2x Land Raiders
- 1 land raider crusader
- 1 Dark Angels jet
- 1 Dark Angels church jet

(day 2)
13 deathwing terminator squads
1 belial
1 sammeal on coolass looking jetbike
By the end of the game, I had about 12 terminators left, and one guy, a plasma cannon marine, left from the entire battle company. "To The Last Man" indeed. I won because I put Terminators in the Fortress of Redemption, and because I blew up a skyshield out of spite.

Highpoints included a Terminator surviving a strength D hit when a titan exploded, and my chaplain saving 11 wounds from that same titan's megabolter. gently caress you, TheChirurgeon.

Here are a bunch of pictures: http://imgur.com/a/0hiGh

Before:

The evolution of man into robit:

fuuuuuuuu

gently caress you

After:

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Apollodorus posted:

Can I get away with just no flyers at all in my army? I don't like flyers for aesthetic reasons but it sounds as though a 40k army these days needs at least one.

I've warmed up to Riptides with HBC and Velocity Tracker. If you can ally in a SM Librarian or Eldar Farseer, you can shred anything that dares come into your air space.

Lungboy posted:

Has anyone made a Chapter Master on bike here? What parts did you use?

I tried making one with GW parts, but it looked terrible. So I bought this guy for the same price as most GW HQ models:

Scibor makes amazing models that are way better HQ's than anything GW could ever make.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Khorne Flakes posted:

Scibor makes amazing models that are way better HQ's than anything GW could ever make.
Ehhhhhh... that's really subjective. You've done a great job painting the model, but I can't stand Scibor's excessive filigrees and not-quite-there aesthetics.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Hencoe posted:

They let him know ahead of time so he can budget buying all the things appropriately.
Clearly.

CLEARLY HES A PAID GW PLANT (I'm doing my best Warseer impression)

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Considering going to get a game in after work tomorrow, however I am constantly terrified to leave stuff in my car this time of year because it's so cold. I don't really have the option to bring it inside, so it has to sit in a car all day around 15-20 degrees. Anyone have experience with leaving stuff in the cold for long periods of time, how long/cold does it take for things like glue to freeze and come apart or have paint start cracking?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Noctis Horrendae posted:

The Lancer II looks like it's straight out of Judge Dredd.

He does one of the best 40k podcasts and is buds with the Forgeworld staff. Also he's their best customer.

Khorne Flakes posted:

Considering going to get a game in after work tomorrow, however I am constantly terrified to leave stuff in my car this time of year because it's so cold. I don't really have the option to bring it inside, so it has to sit in a car all day around 15-20 degrees. Anyone have experience with leaving stuff in the cold for long periods of time, how long/cold does it take for things like glue to freeze and come apart or have paint start cracking?

Half my Necrons have been in my roommate's car for a month or two so I guess we're about to find out!

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

For my Chapter Master on bike I grabbed the Vanguard Veterans box for the important bits (power armor-sized thunder hammer and storm shield), the space marine bike box for the legs, and then the Maxnmini jetbike to make him stand out.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I want to make an artificer wearing praetor on a dick bike worse than bad.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Lookit these fukken chaos marines:

Lokkit dem coolass lightning bolts:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Khorne Flakes posted:

I've warmed up to Riptides with HBC and Velocity Tracker. If you can ally in a SM Librarian or Eldar Farseer, you can shred anything that dares come into your air space.

Well fortunately I have recently acquired my older cousin's Warhams and thus have like 4 or 5 :krad: 2E Eldar Farseers, not to mention the rest of the Eldar army.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love seeing people complain about the Errants giant Meltacannon only having a 36" range. As if thats not far enough. Nope, 72" or bust. I've encountered lots of people who, for lack of a better term, are short sighted when it comes to ranges. The vindicator or Demolisher are useless according to them, because they ONLY have a 24" range. Yea, that's half the table.

Though they tend to be the players who want their big stompy things to be out of sight but still able to toss out death. They panic when their land raider is slightly exposed.

Something I'm hoping because of the Knight, is the Stompa will be a regular part of the Ork book once it gets redone. Stompas are the loving best.

A Powerful Cream
Jun 25, 2009

get ready to read some badposts b*tch!! - fdr to hitler, 1972

Lungboy posted:

Has anyone made a Chapter Master on bike here? What parts did you use?

A Powerful Cream posted:

I haven't bought any models in a long time but I just put together two boxes of the new Sternguard and I was genuinely impressed with the kit. There's so many options to mix and match that each model ends up looking really unique, not to mention all the spare bits/combi-weapons/whatever that you're left with. Also great for kitbashing a character; I mixed some bits in with a regular SM biker to make a CM. This picture makes me realise it needs some cleanup but overall I'm happy with the result, just need to figure out how to give him that iron halo :I. Is the skull at the front a bit much?

Posted this a couple of days ago, if you're looking to stick to GW kits. I like Khorne Flakes' model a lot too though.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Here's a Tyranid Vengeance Weapon Battery with battle cannon. So glad Tyranids can use fortifications now!

I originally converted it as an Exocrine, long before we had an official model for one, and used the rules from an IG Basilisk in Apocalypse battles. Now that we have a real Exocrine, and can take Fortifications, this seems a much better use of the model.

I played some fun games this weekend, will have some photos soon.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I was literally just shopping around for what to get to model a Captain/Chapter Master on a Bike. Think it's going to be the Vanguard Veterans top with a Storm Shield and Power Sword for the Captain and a Thunder Hammer and Shield Eternal for the Master. Now I just have to resist the temptation to have him doing a kickin' wheelie. If I was doing a comedy option I'd have the front wheel landing and him holding on to the handlebars while flying back.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I don't know what you are talking about...

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Hey, this is great. I'm about an hour into it. I'll be sure to listen to you guys from here on. :laffo: at the "easy going no spam list" and then using six nurgle oblits.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Ghost Hand posted:

I don't know what you are talking about...

Oh god, the GW legal team is coming for me.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
So I have begun work on my test miniature for my potential 30k World Eaters. As this is a one-off test and I don't have any white spray I am having to build up the white basecoat by hand :negative: To further complicate things I was unable to strip the shoulderpads and backpack off so I've made it more challenging. The important thing for me is to try out the colour scheme and perfect the inking. The Forge World guide calls for some esoteric mix of what I guess is blues and grey, I will be using a more brown and black ink to reflect battle grime and the like. I got this idea from a blog on the internet, but I cannot remember who it was exactly.

I have experience with having white Space Marines before and it was horrible back then, all the memories are flooding back. I am only doing thin layers of white to avoid large chalky surfaces, so far I have done well but I am waiting for the second coat to dry as I type this. If I had to do this for every miniature it would be extremely tedious, to say the least.

I'll have to see how it goes, hopefully this will make me more confident with painting white/

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
My weekly story: a man broke my Haruspex when it killed his Sternguard Veterans.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I had a kid break the aerials off my Baneblade during a GW store event.

Didn't even say a word, I was pretty disappointed. Not even upset, just disappointed.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Was it intentional? I mean a grown man was so enraged by my toy being better at toys than his that he was moved to violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
So the knight shield of bullshit is directional, correct? Meaning you must choose a facing?

If yes, does that mean ordinance barrage and vector strikes ignore the cover saves?

• Locked thread