Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'd treat Press-Ganging as a little endeavour in itself, organizing shore parties to go out and round up people from the various hives of scum and villainy in sight. Be careful or you might grab some nobleman's son taking a vacation in a pleasure palace in that drug-riddled district you ransacked for bodies, and then you have the whole dynasty on your rear end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Had a slight delay in getting "Rejoice For You Are True" running due to players having real-life issues. That being said I am looking for ways to tie some of the pre-gens together by changing the name of certain factions. In RFUART the organization behind the drug trade is the Serrated Querry, but I feel it might be worth changing to the Amaranthine Syndicate. This would allow me to gradually introduce the Slaugth as the main villains. At some point I'd like to make the prospects of survival so grim that I subtlety put a Halo Device in the possession of one of the younger characters(so that the age altering effects go unnoticed). For instance one of my players is actually running two characters, a holdover from when I had two separate Dark Heresy groups, that I have allowed up until this point. My friend has an extremely young psyker who is extremely devoted to the Emperor who I may be able to deceive into using one, and a scum(from the lowest of the low hive) who houses a significant inferiority complex due his upbringing and his desire to increase his wealth/standing might tempt him to make use of such an artifact while being ignorant of what it ultimately does. The final intent would be for this once-PC to replace the Slaugth as the group's main enemy.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 21, 2014

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
PCs as nemesis are one of my favorite staples.

I'd say go with it on the group swap since you've got a plan for it. The Query is deliberately vague in its goals and makeup anyway.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

MilkmanLuke posted:

PCs as nemesis are one of my favorite staples.

I'd say go with it on the group swap since you've got a plan for it. The Query is deliberately vague in its goals and makeup anyway.

It is slow going in general because I have one of the most unreliable RP groups ever. We manage to get together once a week, but someone is almost always invariably LATE, UNPREPARED, or simply doesn't show. This is despite my best efforts as a GM to do 95% of the leg work in character creation for them, and contacting people one to two days prior to ensure there aren't any final hang-ups. I almost always met with some sort of last minute bullshit. Hell, if I need any kind of strategy I could use some tips of running a campaign with 4-5 players where at least one may miss on any given weekend. I have thought about simply running the campaigns much like an MMO where if players are gone for a game session they are assumed to be with the group, but just either absent from the scene, or not directly participating in combat much like a Final Fantasy game where only 3 of the 9 available characters may fight, but as far as the story goes everyone is kind of assumed to be present.

Overall I'd like to run at least two of the Purge of Unclean campaigns as a lead up to the House of Ash(from disciples of the Dark Gods) into the Haarlock Saga making changes where needed to fit my overall goal of making the Slaugths involvement in the Syndicate the main focus, and the eventual corruption of an extra PC as the final twist. Eventually, I'd like to use this as a path into writing my own original campaign for the group. I figure if we ever get this far we would be ready for Ascension, which would be the perfect time to reintroduce their old friend as an immensely powerful individual who is infected at the 3rd stage of the Halo Device.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

Baus is boss.
Are *any* of them reliable? If no, Haarlock's campaign is probably gonna be rough. If someone is, make that person's character the official shot-caller for the group (cell leader or legate investigator or first-among-equals, whatever you want to call them).

My game was benefitted immensely by the group having their own internal hierarchy. There was always a cell leader and a second. Whenever their Inquisitor gave out a badge of office or money or gear to use, those were the two responsible. Everyone else was generally reliable, but there was a fair amount of turnover from character death. Regimenting the group helps with that and you get the same effect when dealing with unreliable players and end up with characters mutely following the group to keep their special sports skills available in the absence of their player. The NPCed PCs just become walking skill assets that glide through combat fighting offscreen with other mooks.

On the subject of xp, everybody gets some but I personally give the leader a little bonus if they're attentive and involved.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Yay, my RT Tech priest is now a wyrdling. With 36 WP. This can't backfire.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

Baus is boss.
"This is going to be awesome. What is the worst that could happen?" is pretty much the 40k RP motto, in my opinion.

PantsOptional posted:

There are indeed rules for press-ganging people, although the mechanics are murky at best. The ways of replenishing your crew are:

• Hiring, which is a fairly sure thing but counts as an Acquisition Test;
  • Press-ganging, which requires making some contact through criminal circles but only requires skill tests;
  • Striking a deal with planetary authorities to take on the planet's prison population as crew, which has no relevant test but costs a sizable chunk of Morale.

Clearly, hiring crew members is for pussies.

That just warms the cockles of my twisted, black heart. If I ever get around to running Rogue Trader, I know exactly what the game's theme song will be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OUY5GOOGcY

Antti posted:

I'd treat Press-Ganging as a little endeavour in itself, organizing shore parties to go out and round up people from the various hives of scum and villainy in sight. Be careful or you might grab some nobleman's son taking a vacation in a pleasure palace in that drug-riddled district you ransacked for bodies, and then you have the whole dynasty on your rear end!

My Dark Heresy crew has a term for this kind of thing. The "Shopping Mission," which is typically shorthand for Someone Is Going To Die Horribly On This Mundane Task. Similar terminology: "Elevator Shaft," Noun, defined as Something that can kill a Space Marine.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

MilkmanLuke posted:

Are *any* of them reliable? If no, Haarlock's campaign is probably gonna be rough. If someone is, make that person's character the official shot-caller for the group (cell leader or legate investigator or first-among-equals, whatever you want to call them).

My game was benefitted immensely by the group having their own internal hierarchy. There was always a cell leader and a second. Whenever their Inquisitor gave out a badge of office or money or gear to use, those were the two responsible. Everyone else was generally reliable, but there was a fair amount of turnover from character death. Regimenting the group helps with that and you get the same effect when dealing with unreliable players and end up with characters mutely following the group to keep their special sports skills available in the absence of their player. The NPCed PCs just become walking skill assets that glide through combat fighting offscreen with other mooks.

On the subject of xp, everybody gets some but I personally give the leader a little bonus if they're attentive and involved.

One of them has managed to show up to every session. But then it beggars the question of whether or not they will follow him, and he isn't exactly the leader type. Almost all his characters are stereotypical tough guys with almost zero personality and speak very little outside of things like "I hate you guys" and the occasional grunt. It is hilarious how jaded he plays his guy up, only for him to fail nearly every fear test due to a low willpower score. I asked him what his character's motivations were I pretty much got something along the lines of "he likes to kill stuff". There is maybe one other person I'd trust to be the leader, but it is like everyone I play with has a huge problem with authority or thinks the other player is out to gently caress them as if we are still playing D&D.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

Baus is boss.
Problem with authority is zero issue. That's what bomb collars were invented for. Hell, from the sound of it, he's good to go on that front. If he isn't the leader type as a character...well, that has room to change. A jaded murderer could potentially make a hilariously no nonsense team leader. "I would love to push this button and watch your head disappear in a geyser of blood, but the boss says I've gotta fill out paperwork if that happens. Paperwork is even more boring than killing you is fun, so don't gently caress things up and I'll continue to not push the button."

The biggest issue is having a relatively reliable player (Or two. It's always good to have a go-to 2nd.) that also has the personality/willingness to be a leader character. If no *player* is willing to be a leader, then you might be hosed. Maybe talk to the player and see if he's be willing to take a more active role. If it's a "sure, but only if I can kill things even better," just have the Inquisitor bribe him with a sweet rear end bolt pistol (or plasma pistol, or exceptionally pointy stick, depending on your general power level) or something. Then, he and the team can investigation-by-autopsy their way through Calixis.

Or just bail on DH and switch over to Only War, which easily accommodates absences and murder-happy players because they're tiny cogs in a giant death machine. If these guys of yours don't really like an investigation-type games, this actually might be more than just a joke suggestion.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

MilkmanLuke posted:

Problem with authority is zero issue. That's what bomb collars were invented for. Hell, from the sound of it, he's good to go on that front. If he isn't the leader type as a character...well, that has room to change. A jaded murderer could potentially make a hilariously no nonsense team leader. "I would love to push this button and watch your head disappear in a geyser of blood, but the boss says I've gotta fill out paperwork if that happens. Paperwork is even more boring than killing you is fun, so don't gently caress things up and I'll continue to not push the button."

The biggest issue is having a relatively reliable player (Or two. It's always good to have a go-to 2nd.) that also has the personality/willingness to be a leader character. If no *player* is willing to be a leader, then you might be hosed. Maybe talk to the player and see if he's be willing to take a more active role. If it's a "sure, but only if I can kill things even better," just have the Inquisitor bribe him with a sweet rear end bolt pistol (or plasma pistol, or exceptionally pointy stick, depending on your general power level) or something. Then, he and the team can investigation-by-autopsy their way through Calixis.

Or just bail on DH and switch over to Only War, which easily accommodates absences and murder-happy players because they're tiny cogs in a giant death machine. If these guys of yours don't really like an investigation-type games, this actually might be more than just a joke suggestion.

We actually were running Deathwatch, but they complained that is was to straight forward and not interesting in the same way Dark Heresy investigations are. They are a whiney lot...its like the worst group ever, but it is hard to find people in such a small town.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Uroboros posted:

One of them has managed to show up to every session. But then it beggars the question of whether or not they will follow him, and he isn't exactly the leader type. Almost all his characters are stereotypical tough guys with almost zero personality and speak very little outside of things like "I hate you guys" and the occasional grunt. It is hilarious how jaded he plays his guy up, only for him to fail nearly every fear test due to a low willpower score. I asked him what his character's motivations were I pretty much got something along the lines of "he likes to kill stuff". There is maybe one other person I'd trust to be the leader, but it is like everyone I play with has a huge problem with authority or thinks the other player is out to gently caress them as if we are still playing D&D.

Yeah, Only War sounds like the better game here. You can even just have the regiment/squad attached to the inquisition. Give them the Schola origen and they're low-end stormtroopers, and the game has in-built hierarchy (You DO want to make sure the sergeant or commisar's player has some sort of initiative.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

quote:

888th Inq. Stormtrooper Regiment

Homeworld: Schola Progenum 3pts
Commander: Maverick 2pts
Training: Line Infantry 2pts
Doctrine 1: Iron Discipline 3pts
Doctrine 2: Close Quarters Combat 5pts
Drawback: The Few +5pts

Characteristic Modifiers: +3 to WS OR BS; +3 to Wil; +3 Str; -3 Int
Starting Aptitudes: Willpower
Starting Skills: Common Lore( Imperial Guard, Imperium, War); Ling: Low Gothic, High Gothic); Athletics
Starting Talents: Air of Authority OR Unshakeable Faith; Resistance (Fear); Rapid Reload; Combat Master OR Double team
Starting Wounds: Characters from the 888th begin play with +1 starting Wound.
Traits: +10 BS at Point-Blank Range
Favoured Weapons: Basic:Plasma Gun, Heavy:Heavy Bolter

quote:

Standard Regimental Kit: 1 Hotshot Lasgun (Main Weapon), 1 Suit Light Carapace Armor, 1 mono-knife, 2 frag grenades, 2 krak grenades, microbead, photovisors, chrono+standard regimental guard kit.

pre:
Regimental loadout:
(+4 points due to extra regimental points)
33/34
Hot-shot lasgun  15pts
Microbead         8pts
Photovisors       8pts
Chrono            2pts

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 22, 2014

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
So, I was busy working on a Deathwatch character when I came up with this. It was stupid, so I thought I'd share it.

Two Storm Bolters
Four Arm/Shoulder Mounted Bolt Pistols
You need to be at least a Rank Five Tactical Marine.
Optional Extras: Motion Predictor. Fire Selector. Kraken or Metalstorm Rounds. Melee Attachments.

Using Bolter Drill and Fire for effect, you can crap out 64 bolts in one turn.
I figure this is the kind of jury rigged monstrosity the Forgemaster flogs himself for considering, but you trot out in an emergency when you have more guns than Marines.

With a full fire selector, each Storm Bolter has 180 rounds, firing off 20 each turn. The Bolt Pistols range is so short they're mostly for dakka, but with full fire selectors they have 52 rounds each and fire off 24 each turn.
Two turns before your arm&shoulder mounts are exhausted, and nine for the Storm Bolters.

I'm not sure what to call it. It was originally going to be a Marine-Portable Hydra Anti-Air Harness, but the range is too short. A Marksman can only shoot out to 400m with the Storm Bolters, I think.
Great vs Orks, though. Orcist?

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 23, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know anything about 40k Aquatic Navy? Whether or not it actually exists would be a start.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

goatface posted:

Does anyone know anything about 40k Aquatic Navy? Whether or not it actually exists would be a start.

Planets with water tend to have navies, but it's not really explained. The Battle for Armageddon had some fleet battles as the orks built submarines but they were mostly glossed over.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Navies are PDF run, mostly exist as anti-piracy and anti-rebellion things.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yeah, they're PDF things. Especially since its one of those things where you need local know-how to operate re: local currents, reefs, etc. Its one of those rare things where the PDF might be better than the usual 40k Imperium all-stars.

You could totally have Guard brown water experts, however. Albiet, trying to use the chimera's amphibious trait to chase cigarette boats might be a bit of a challenge.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I was really less interested in who does it and more in how. I was thinking about running naval battle situation (they would not be in charge of the boats, they would probably have goals completely secondary to the battle going on around them), but I didn't want to start throwing in missile destroyers and light valkyrie carriers only to have someone correct me about how all 40k water fights are essentially 18th century ships of the line covered in baneblade turrets.

I have found a mention of Space Marines fighting an underwater battle by just driving their land raiders down there, and not worrying about breaches because they have power armour and they can breathe water (for a while at least). That could be amusing to include.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

well, depends on what the PDF fights, unless, for some reason, there's another blue water navy on the surface, a 1900 dreadnought covered in hydra quad linked autocannons would cover pretty much any situation.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

PDF varies from world to world, so put them at whatever tech level you want. Some worlds have PDF fighting with WW2 style weapons, others are better armed than most guard regiments.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I wouldn't be surprised if some regiment drops whole battleships from orbit. A titan is probably big and rugged enough to walk on sea floors and, depending on the planet, maybe be halfway above water like the Pacific Rim mechs.

poo poo, surprise your players with a submerged enemy titan stomping out of the water. That would rule.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So the deldar Dark Lance stats on Only War Core is 4d10+7 Damage Pen 5. But then the same weapon appears in Enemies of the Imperium as 3d10+7 Damage Pen 4 :negative:

Errata says nothing, am I supposed to just use the one in EotI since its the more recent book/its less deadly for the players?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Yes. A lot of the enemies in OW Core were ported directly from other systems, and are rather... higher powered than they should be in a game of Guardsmen.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

FireSight posted:

Navies are PDF run, mostly exist as anti-piracy and anti-rebellion things.

Only specific mention of navy ships in 40K I can recall was in a Ciaphas Cain audiobook (Dead in the Water), where they had basically Vietnam era style patrol boats. They were actually IG boats, since they were crewed by Vorstroyans. Gave it a quick listen and it mentioned the boat was "three times the size of a Chimera", had some armoring on the sides/wheelhouse and fore/aft heavy bolter turrets, though apparently smaller flat-bottom boats were also in use (which were unarmed and carried about 12 men).

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The Dan Abnett book about air combat had some mention of ships patrolling the sea.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

but I didn't want to start throwing in missile destroyers and light valkyrie carriers only to have someone correct me about how all 40k water fights are essentially 18th century ships of the line covered in baneblade turrets.

The hell were you coming to us for when you'd already come up with the best possible idea already?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

goatface posted:

Thanks, I was really less interested in who does it and more in how. I was thinking about running naval battle situation (they would not be in charge of the boats, they would probably have goals completely secondary to the battle going on around them), but I didn't want to start throwing in missile destroyers and light valkyrie carriers only to have someone correct me about how all 40k water fights are essentially 18th century ships of the line covered in baneblade turrets.

I have found a mention of Space Marines fighting an underwater battle by just driving their land raiders down there, and not worrying about breaches because they have power armour and they can breathe water (for a while at least). That could be amusing to include.
Tom Clancy naval combat, Vietnamese swamps/rivers and Battle of Trafalgar are all equally valid ways to run a planetside water fight.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Slightly related question: Space Marines, too heavy to swim?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

^^^ Edit: You would think so, but one of the space marine implant is the Lithobatius. It's a subdermal organ layered over the black carapace. When fully submerged, it interacts with the Multi-lung to rapidly fill with gas, providing the space marine with natural flotation. Due to its location, it even serves to keep the marine upright in the water for firing stability.

--

Yea, you can pretty much just look at the technology level of the planet and do whatever is appropriate, from triremes and galleons to battleships, aircraft carriers, and crazy 40k retro-future creations.

I am 90% sure that on Fenris they use straight-up longships to row out and hunt crazy ice monsters with harpoons.

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 24, 2014

Sour Blossom
Apr 21, 2005
L O L 6 6

Asehujiko posted:

Tom Clancy naval combat, Vietnamese swamps/rivers and Battle of Trafalgar are all equally valid ways to run a planetside water fight.

What would fighting a Tyranid giant squid count as? Because I can't see how those wouldn't exist.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sour Blossom posted:

What would fighting a Tyranid giant squid count as? Because I can't see how those wouldn't exist.

They are already in canon! The Kraken that roam the waters of Fenris are allegedly the remains of an attempted Tyrannid invasion force. Apparently they can grow to five miles long, with tentacles 20 miles long? :psyduck: That is 40k as gently caress.

Edit: Best portrayed through a variation of Moby Dick, with descriptions of skulls and bloodshed replacing all those long bits about whales.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Reminder that there is a canonical chapter of Space Marines that prefers to use giant harpoons as a weapon and hunts sea serpents to prove themselves on their homeworld.

Also lots of bits about them swimming, basically what you'd expect. They can swim very fast, dive very deep, hold their breath for a while, etc.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ashcans posted:

I am 90% sure that on Fenris they use straight-up longships to row out and hunt crazy ice monsters with harpoons.

This is why I love 40k, discard the common sense option and the most powerful option and choose the most :black101: option.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Ashcans posted:

They do. In the Space Wolf Omnibus, Ragnar has a Space Wolf on his longship when they go hunting for sea monsters. All the dudes had viking weapons and were amazed when the Space Wolf opened up with a bolter.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Well yesterday we finally completed our second session of Rejoice For You Are True, and I find it went rather well. I'd I like to give everyone an overview, and then perhaps get a little advice on the next play session to counteract some foreseeable issues. First off, Our Players:

Joe Nathan - The guy who always plays quirky characters, who are either ultra flamboyant, or very emo. Think of the kind of person who watches The Dark Knight, and thinks The Joker is the best character ever, but then proclaims he hates the new Batman movies, because anything that the masses find entertaining must be crappy and lame. Reliable, but often moody and sleepy due to insane work hours, but still capable of getting into character when needed.
Characters: Octavius Septum - A tall/lanky albino who is a very powerful (psy rating 5) telekinetic with a fervent devotion to the emperor. Really a delicate flower outside of his ridiculously high willpower of 67. Character is currently posing as a fortune-teller as part of a nobleman's retinue.
Drex: The nominal leader of the cell at this moment. A scum with a high fellowship rating who is currently acting as the senior member of a party of visiting nobles to Hive Sibellus. Really, he is the face of the group, and due to the rolls each character chose he has become the de-facto leader for most of this adventure.

The Goblin Queen - Joe's wife, and consistent player. A player who's abilities have improved over the years, but is still often prone to pouting and not paying attention, and then getting upset when things don't go her way due to said inattention.
Character: Euphrati - A member of the Sister's Dialogus(Adept) who is essentially the knowledge base for the group, and unfortunately played by a player with one of the weaker understandings of 40K lore. Not very useful in a fight, but has a plethora of Lore skills. Currently posing as a Singer in a nobleman's retinue.

Violence is a sufficient substitute for role-playing guy - A experienced gamer, who likes to think he has a diverse range of characters, despite usually going combat heavy 90% of the time, and playing a borderline sociopath who will literally use violence to solve any situation. Compound this with an English and Theater background, and nothing I say is not worthy of some form of criticism, because it isn't Liam Neeson dripping honey into his earhole. Despite this he has been the most consistent player having attended every role-playing session. Also, has a crush on Joe's wife that we all know about, but refuses to admit.
Characters: Marcus - An ex-guard vet in his late 50s, who is good with guns and explosives. What? You expected more? Tranch War veteran, who decided works for the inquisition because who shot his superior officer due to "reasons". Essentially his life is own by the Inquisition...posing as a nobleman's bodyguard, surprised?

Lord No-Show - The best team-player, and most drama-free individual in the group, but also the least likely to attend. Was not present for this most recent game session. Despite having one of the best living situations out of this group of misfits he is apparently the hardest to track down, and will often miss with little explanation or warning, despite being an National Guard Officer.(I had to actually ask him when his drills were, because he couldn't be bother to tell us without direct questioning) Also, the youngest player in the group at the tender age of 26, meaning he gets a lot of poo poo.
Characters: I forget... - A tech-priest cyber mastiff handler that specializes in tracking and melee combat, and is the only character that can reliable pass a tech-use test...not much else to say, because he hasn't done poo poo. Also posing as a nobleman's bodyguard, but failing to do any sort of guarding.

Robbie - The King of Ham - Experienced gamer, who recently returned to the area. Tends to pick characters that cause in-character drama(the good kind), and is the most likely person to gently caress up any sort of mission. Not known for his reliability, but is being given a chance to prove himself. Has shown considerable interest so far in making his character interesting.
Characters: Justilus - A mind cleansed cleric, who specializes in interrogation techniques. Posing as a younger nephew of the above nobleman.

What Happened?
Anyway, our second session began with the PCs attending a noble shin-dig in order to obtain an invite to the inner circle of the Joyous Choir, The Alabaster Court. This part turned out to be pretty fun as Joe did his best to steal the scene by speaking with each NPC, which resulted in him easily securing an invitation to the Alabaster Court. During this period I was able to use multiple NPCs to split the group, so the psyker was unable to warn Robbie of Farcosia's(a drug the Joyous Choir is trafficking, and which psyker brains is a key component) true nature when it was handed out as a party favor. Robbie then decides rather amusingly that his character has no reason to turn down this gift, and gladly partakes. His resulting reaction earned him bonus role-playing experience as he proceeded to have a "spiritual awakening" and "tripped balls on the stuff of the warp" while simultaneously resulting in fragments of his former life returning to him, all at once. He proceeds to make a big scene and attempts to convince Marcus(who is very jaded, and shows very little respect for the Emperor) that he must change his ways if he is to find salvation. Joe's character is able to get the nobles to kind of laugh off the whole ordeal playing it off as the inexperience of youth, and really a good time is had by all as the party closes with them dragging Robbie's character back to the Strophes residence, literally.

The next day all the PCs not posing as nobles(Octavius, Marcus, and Euphrati) head to The Hustle to purchase an encrypted data-slate that has information on what the Joyous Choir is truly all about. As planned Theodosius(a General Grievous style cyborg descends and slaughters the man selling the slate in an attempt to retrieve it). This was looking to be an easy escape for Theodosius, but then Joe's psycher really began to show why they can be a bit overpowered. Marcus was actually able to make a called shot to shoot the handle off the case carrying the data-slate, which slowed Theo up enough for Octavius and Euphrati to get within range. Octavius used fearful aura(with enough overbleed to make his fear rating 4 for a round) to clear out the nearby civilians allowing Euphrati(who somehow passed her -30 WP test) to chase Theo without making agility tests to pass through a crowd. Despite this Theo was able to pick the case back up, and still make it nearly 30 meters away from the group, but on their final round Octavius used Telekinetic Barrage to essentially one-shot Theo despite the 15 extra wounds I granted him. If I hadn't of given him fate points he would've been straight up dead. At this point his hired guns entered the battle, which gave him enough time to attach the melta-bomb to the case and chuck it at our heroes. Despite this Marcus was able to beat Theo on an opposed Demo-Test, and easily disarmed the device. Octavius continued to abuse his psychic powers resulting in 3 separate Perils of Warp(although he was super lucky on the results), with the final one causing him to fall 3 meters, drat near putting him into critical damage(he is fragile). All 3 NPCs took a bit of a beating from the hired guns, and return fire from Theo, ultimately resulting in a hard fought success on their part. Theo of course escaped as planned as I had the Telekenetic Barrage knock him through a wall and out of line of sight, which granted him the cover he needed to escape, although he is going to be all sorts of hosed up. This is how our night ended.

Aftermath and next session
The campaign essentially goes as planned. Robbie's character ended up failing his toughness test to avoid being addicted to Farcosia, and Joe's psycher ended up being a tad more potent than expected. Another issue I saw was that Robbie was essentially useless for the final hour of the evening, because his character was unable to participate in the combat. The next scene is set to split the party once again by preventing everyone from entering the Alabaster Court at once, due to invitations allowing only one guest at a time. I was thinking of setting it up to where both Robbie's character and Joe's scum each receive a separate invitation allowing them both to take a guest, or simply waiving the guest limit entirely. I feel the players may be emboldened to show their hand to early if a beaten and roughed up Theo shows up at the party. I plan on emphasizing the level of Magistratum security at the event to discourage such overt action, additionally the harmony meters employed by the Choir detects psykers making it nearly impossible for Octavius to enter without them realizing who he is, and considering the number he did on Theo in the previous fight I might set him up for a nasty ambush if he tries to force his way into the events.

There are other ways into the Alabaster Court that involve scaling the walls of the Hive, and numerous difficult security checks, but none of the characters are really cut out for this.

I figure at this point Theo is a smart enough individual to suspect that the Inquisition (or someone just as dangerous) is on to him, because they are one of the few organizations that would employ such a powerful psycher. With this in mind I am going into the Alabaster Court scene with Theo intending to kill everyone involved after the party, and destroying the building. To this end I plan on him showing up with a number of his personal agents in disguise, and for the mercenaries he hires to attack the Strophes residents to be on orders to kill everyone they find with specific instructions to find the albino psyker and kill him. I figure this is sufficient consequence for our psykers reckless display of power the day before.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 25, 2014

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
You definitely should have let the guy who wants to solve everything with violence play an Ork Freeboota.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I just want to share an awesome game of DH with you, as the whole navy chat reminded me:

We deployed to a planet where we had to go to the islands we fought on via submarine. So up shows a NAVY COMMISSAR (blue flakcoat and all), and orders our stupid asses into the sinky crate.

Fun events were had by all, like when the GM suddenly screamed horribly to imitate an old submarine klaxon, then informed us that we were under attack by "Xenos, Kraken Majoris-class" creatures. Also, running out of food, and having to kill our original sergeant with injected air to eat his flesh (NAVY COMMISSARIAT REGULATIONS!).

That was all sorts of crazy.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
Regarding aquatic kraken, there is a semi-daemonic leviathan creature that fits the bill almost perfectly in one of the Black Crusade books (Tome of Blood, I think).

Doug Lombardi posted:

You definitely should have let the guy who wants to solve everything with violence play an Ork Freeboota.

And he wouldn't even need to wait for the rest of the group to put 'is kunning plan into action.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Playing EDF 2025, it strikes me that being assaulted by giant ants, robots, and ever increasingly ridiculous stakes while a team of 4 unique badasses of differing combat specialties soldier onwards would make a hell of a Deathwatch campaign. Marines work well if you put them next to zany poo poo and let them act as straightmen, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sour Blossom
Apr 21, 2005
L O L 6 6

Ashcans posted:

They are already in canon! The Kraken that roam the waters of Fenris are allegedly the remains of an attempted Tyrannid invasion force. Apparently they can grow to five miles long, with tentacles 20 miles long? :psyduck: That is 40k as gently caress.

Edit: Best portrayed through a variation of Moby Dick, with descriptions of skulls and bloodshed replacing all those long bits about whales.

There's also the space-borne version in the Koronus Bestiary, and they fit those dimensions too. They really like to eat starships.