Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I'm pretty down with 'gently caress traitors' myself. Any change in our state religion, in addition to damning the entire Empire to the depths of hell, is also extremely imprudent, for reasons previously stated by my honorable colleague and friend Senator Ezo XLV.

However, I shall not be joining the Old Romans, as I think that parading around in my skivvies with a bear skin on my head at a party is beneath the dignity of the Senate. I'm not naming names, but you know who you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Ehhh, I think I like the New Romans day to day stuff the most. So sign me up!

Though I gotta say the Old Roman way of dealing with TRAITORS is awfully appealing....

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Flesnolk posted:

Too far away? Pah! Unless our navy is in a pitiful state indeed since last I checked, it is not a long voyage at all, as close as sailing to the coast of Croatia, and those upstarts would certainly be in no position to stop the Imperial fleet from going where it may!

Sir, have you not seen what has happened to Jerusalem? Disconnected from their territory, it now shifts hands as easy as I could throw a tomato at you. Which is quite easy.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

The difference, tomato-thrower, is that Genoa lies on the opposite end of the Mediterranean from Jerusalem, while to us Venice is metaphorically right next door, with the Italian kingdoms apparently uninterested in laying claim to it. And Genoa seems to have held onto their conquest just fine, for the time being.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
I would've made an Icon for another cross-party faction, the Coalition Of Unifiers and New Thinking Senators, a co-operation striving towards rights for minorities and just about everyone who isn't a Greek Orthodox Nobleman comparable to those of said group. But I don't think we've come far enough into the Let's Play to have names this stupid yet, so I passed on the opportunity.

Speaking of silly and/or stupid names, the T.R.A.I.T.O.R.S... considering what their prime agenda is, why not rename them the Catholi-Orthodox Unification Party? Or on a more serious note, the Reconciliation Party? While sure, the True Religions Advocates in Times of Revolts and Strife may be a fun joke I feel it is starting to get driven a bit far into the ground. But I dunno, it may be just me.

Luhood fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 24, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Luhood posted:

I would've made an Icon for another cross-party faction, the Coalition of Unifiers and New Thinking Senators, a co-operation striving towards rights for minorities and just about everyone who isn't a Greek Orthodox Nobleman comparable to those of said group. But I don't think we've come far enough into the Let's Play to have names this stupid yet, so I passed on the opportunity.

Speaking of silly and/or stupid names, the T.R.A.I.T.O.R.S... considering what their prime agenda is, why not rename them the Catholi-Orthodox Unification Party? Or on a more serious note, the Reconciliation Party? While sure, the True Religions Advocates in Times of Revolts and Strife may be a fun joke I feel it is starting to get driven a bit far into the ground. But I dunno, it may be just me.

Can we not name factions after slurs? Thanks.

forkis
Sep 15, 2011

Luhood posted:

Yeah, and it's a bit of a pain to type too. I'd honestly prefer Latins or Reconciliationists or something like that. Latins preferably because it's short and simple.

forkis fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 24, 2014

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Sleep of Bronze posted:

For we alone think that one who doesn't partake in public life isn't "just a private individual": he is, in fact, simply useless.

Komenenians, you are these private idiots: be gone! You are these traitors: be gone! And in the Imperial Senate, you are useless: BE GONE!

Someone is bitter over not getting invited to all the good parties. And congratulations to your philosophy tutor, he must be very proud you remembered all that.

If you had payed attention when they spoke of divinity rather than when they echoed the old farts blabbering on about "fulfillment" and "duty", you might have learned this: The Emperor is the chosen of God and an agent of him. It is through him that the Empire will succeed. There is no element of hope, no element of faith. There is only the cold, hard certainty of victory, whether in my life or that of my children or childrens children, it matters not.

If the Emperor wills we be muslims, so be it. If he heads north, south, west or east, we will advise and adapt. But it is only a matter of how and when we will win, not a matter of whether.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Someone is bitter over not getting invited to all the good parties. And congratulations to your philosophy tutor, he must be very proud you remembered all that.

If you had payed attention when they spoke of divinity rather than when they echoed the old farts blabbering on about "fulfillment" and "duty", you might have learned this: The Emperor is the chosen of God and an agent of him. It is through him that the Empire will succeed. There is no element of hope, no element of faith. There is only the cold, hard certainty of victory, whether in my life or that of my children or childrens children, it matters not.

If the Emperor wills we be muslims, so be it. If he heads north, south, west or east, we will advise and adapt. But it is only a matter of how and when we will win, not a matter of whether.

Well said, brother! With all the talk of the around here of political parties and such, people seem to think we have returned to the long past days of the Republic! We do not rule, for the Empress rules justly and wisely. We merely aid the Empress by suggesting possible courses of action.

And, to be honest, far better that she make the decision than one such as I! I can't imagine the stress that the weighty responsibility of divine mandate would bring!

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

οὐ θαυμάζει τόν τῶν οὐ νομιζόντων σύνοδον καλεῖν τήν του Θουκυδίδης ἱστορίαν ἔργον φιλόσοφον, οὐδ᾽ οἰήσασθαι δεινόν τὸ ἐμόν μνησθῆναι ἕνος στίχου ἄπο εὐδοξότατου λόγου. δεῖ γάρ πάντα ἀξίαν βουλευτήν τήν βίβλον ἐπίστασθαι.

κάλα ἐνθυμήματα γνώμην παρέχει καὶ τὸ του ῥήτορος κρατός αὐξάνει· κάκα σᾶ ἐνθυμήματα ἀμαθίαν παρέχει καὶ τὸ σόν κρατός βλάπτει.

One is not amazed that the party of those who will not think calls Thucydides' History a work of philosophy and feels that my remembering of a single line from a most famous speech is even remarkable. Indeed, every senator worthy of the name should know it.

A fine argument shows knowledge and strengthens the speaker's cause; your feeble argument shows ignorance and weakens your cause.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

AJ_Impy posted:

Expansionist Coalition. We want more land!

I think this is a coalition we can get behind (much like the Nova Marians), in fact I was wondering if the Expantionalists had looked at our ABC plan, its all about conquest and expansion, only with a small bit of focus, mainly being used as a stepping stone to greater eventual conquests.

ABC Plan posted:

Right now our main strategic are a of interest is concentrated around the Aegean, Black and Cilicia Seas, therefore it makes the most sense, for right now anyways (I know that many of you have designs and desires beyond those boundaries), to consolidate and concentrate in these areas. Specifically to build up enough and conquer enough to make sure we maintain complete and unquestioned dominance of this area. Under this ABC plan, we will should take the following actions:

1. Reconquer the areas of Asia Minor that have been taken by the Turks

2. Either through conquest, intrigue or marriage, bring Cilicia back into the fold.

3. Conquer the coastal areas Hashimid to complete our strategic encirclement of the Black Sea.

4. Slowly remove the influence of Genoease and Venetian merchants from our areas of the area by finding ways to remove their trade posts and or incorporate their provinces near us into the empire. Merchants under the righteous auspice of the Byzantine Empire should be the ones to profit from our regions.

5. Establish another merchant republic or two in the actual Mediterranean region. Not only will this open the door to more money for the empire, it will also ensure the merchants of Crimea aren't our sole source of a large amount of income. Furthermore, more merchant republics in our Empire competing against each other for money and influence amount themselves will spend less time trying to plot against the throne.

Once we've secured our influence in these three areas, we'll have a solid foothold for expansion into any region we want. If we want to go towards the Holy Land, we can do that, if we want to go East, we can do that, if we want to take Egypt, we can do that, if we randomly want to go North we can do that. By consolidating and focusing in this prime region we give ourselves the means and ability to do so. More merchants means more money for the empire, which means more soldiers, more buildings and more resources for us to enact our plans.

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Man, what's the closest thing "gently caress Traitors" party out there? I identified with the Kommenians but then they started saying make all teh Doux one when the most important thing should be loyalty. A blood tie to the royal family from centuries ago is not enough.

The patricians seem nice in that they aren't Doux but we've seen that they're just as capable of being filthy traitors. The ABC expansion plan sounds pretty good, maybe add annexing Venice someone in there?

True they have that capability, but the Fraternalist stance has always been, at least with these assholes we get piles more gold from them to make better stuff for the empire.

Blackunknown posted:

Steppes and Republics

I would like to propose suggestions for some courses of action for which our nation would benefit from.

1. Conquering the coastline of the Black Sea as to completely control trade there.

2. Conquer Cilicia to create a Merchant Republic to profit from trade in the Holy Land.

3. Embargo the Venetians then tear down their trade posts and confiscate the assets within.

Friend, again you ideas and focuses fall pretty much directly in line with the Fraternalist ideals and our ABC proposal, perhaps we can work together to accomplish much.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

Personally speaking, that sounds workable enough. We would reconcile ourselves to Rome, maintain a strong religious relationship with Latin Christendom and gain influence throughout all of Christendom. I imagine that if our puppetlegitimate supported candidate for the Papacy was already a respectable bishop here in the Empire, we might end up with the entirety of the Papal States under our direct control as well.

We'd be able to bolster our diplomatic ties with the Latins and gain Rome at the same time. It's a solid plan.

I can throw my weight behind this proposal

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...
I too would like to see the event that ends the schism, so here we go.

Long has Byzantium been the shield of Christendom, breaking the endless waves of the Muslim hordes against the edges of our blades and the tips of our spears. For generations, Byzantium has bled for our brothers in the west. And what have they done to repay us? Almost nothing. Instead, while Byzantium bleeds the rest of Christendom fight among themselves and slink ever farther into the dark recesses of ancient barbarism. The papist's heresy has split Christendom in twain, isolating us from our brothers, and fomenting petty rivalry and atavism where there should be unity and progress. Our brothers spill each other's blood, and Byzantium stands alone.

This state of affairs can stand no longer. We must end the papist heresy, and bring unity and brotherhood to Europa: We must turn west and take Rome. Not for the ancient glory of a tarnished empire, but for the benefit of the modern Byzantium, and the ideals for which it stands. No longer can one lone man claim the primacy of God's will, and foment discontent among our brothers. No longer will the papists split Europe asunder for their personal gain.

Italy and it's accompanying states are scattered and weak. Their backwards nations will stand no match against our modern army and progressive tactics. We must again turn west, and spill the blood of Christian men, so that in the future it will be spilled no longer. We will bring Rome into the fold, end the schism, and bring our progressive ideals to our backwards brothers. It is only united, modern Byzantine europe that can stand against the vast pagan hordes of the East!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Frontspac posted:

It is only united, modern Byzantine europe that can stand against the vast pagan hordes of the East!

Hear, hear! Let us end the Schism.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Ratoslov posted:

I am pleasantly surprised to see such wholehearted support of the central plank of the Milvian platform from the New Byzantines. Esteemed senators, I look forward to working with you to make this a reality!

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Ratoslov posted:

Have you gone γαμημένος insane!? The only thing stopping the Great Seljuk from taking Anatolia is the dozen other Seljuks waiting to stab him in the back!

Look, The Komnenian party is very busy naming everything in the Empire after the good Alexios and re-enacting our favorite scenes from the Alexiad in period clothing (and editing out all those chapters about Turkish mercenaries and dashing, handsome Turkish Princes), so could you kindly do us a favor and back a less insane plan? You know, like building a tower to the moon or sailing the army off into the endless western ocean?

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 24, 2014

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

We of the Komnenian party sober enough to be here today call for an immediate cessation of all petty bickering, chest thumping, and general blowhardery until our headaches clear up and we get a chance to think for a moment. The people freaking out and joining fringe parties are worthless idiots who we can probably ignore, but the collapse of the New Byzantine coalition does raise interesting possibilities. I don't think anyone in my party particularly gives a poo poo about the religious debates, but I feel obligated to point out our people are Orthodox, our clergy are Orthodox, and our Empress is Orthodox, so if the Senate is truly to serve the interests of the Empire, we ought to treat the faith that built it with the proper respect.

Anyway, quick and dirty Komnenian Party Platform. We support: expanding imperial control over the provinces, protecting our borders, giving our Empress a hug and telling her everything will be OK. We oppose: pointless religious squabbling, aggressive expansionism (unless it's the Empress's idea), speaking Latin.

I don't know about this plan to appoint other Komnenoi to all the Douxies, seems to have some flaws. For starters there'd need to be some other Komnenoi and if you haven't noticed our royal line is looking a little... thin at the moment.

We of the Komnenenian party will have to think long and hard on these issues, but for now I motion to adjourn so we can sleep it off.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Duckbag posted:

I don't know about this plan to appoint other Komnenoi to all the Douxies, seems to have some flaws. For starters there'd need to be some other Komnenoi and if you haven't noticed our royal line is looking a little... thin at the moment.

I was was the Komnenoi who suggested that we replace Doux's with Komnenian family members. Personally seems like a great idea if we could stop dropping family members like flies. Komnenian's are the greatest family since the Caesar's of Rome and it make sense to replace disloyal Doux's with them. But I otherwise agree with everything else you have said.

I'm liking that the fanatical loyalists are becoming the most sound.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Sleep of Bronze posted:

One is not amazed that the party of those who will not think calls Thucydides' History a work of philosophy and feels that my remembering of a single line from a most famous speech is even remarkable. Indeed, every senator worthy of the name should know it.

A fine argument shows knowledge and strengthens the speaker's cause; your feeble argument shows ignorance and weakens your cause.
Pfff, how fitting you quote the man that denies the place of morality in the world. You drat yourself even further by quoting not only heathens but also immoral ones.

Duckbag posted:

We of the Komnenian party sober enough to be here today call for an immediate cessation of all petty bickering, chest thumping, and general blowhardery until our headaches clear up and we get a chance to think for a moment. The people freaking out and joining fringe parties are worthless idiots who we can probably ignore, but the collapse of the New Byzantine coalition does raise interesting possibilities. I don't think anyone in my party particularly gives a poo poo about the religious debates, but I feel obligated to point out our people are Orthodox, our clergy are Orthodox, and our Empress is Orthodox, so if the Senate is truly to serve the interests of the Empire, we ought to treat the faith that built it with the proper respect.

Anyway, quick and dirty Komnenian Party Platform. We support: expanding imperial control over the provinces, protecting our borders, giving our Empress a hug and telling her everything will be OK. We oppose: pointless religious squabbling, aggressive expansionism (unless it's the Empress's idea), speaking Latin.

We of the Komnenenian party will have to think long and hard on these issues, but for now I motion to adjourn so we can sleep it off.
Well said, that man. Although I'm not sure if it is our place to give the Empress hugs. And we should land family, once we have them, but maybe we should first make sure that they've learned the primacy of the chosen Emperor and not get, sidetracked, as man is wont to do.

And to this, might I add; the enlargement of the Imperial demesne and acquisition of reliable allies. Of the faith is preferable but as we have in our own halls men most immoral we must take what we can get.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Of the faith is preferable but as we have in our own halls men most immoral we must take what we can get.

I am surprised that we haven't got a break away party trying to have us convert to the old Hellenic religion of our forefathers or to the Tengri of the steppes.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It gladdens me more each and every day that literacy and fluency in greek is a requirement to get into the senate, otherwise knowing our luck, we'd be overrun with the latter.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Friend, again you ideas and focuses fall pretty much directly in line with the Fraternalist ideals and our ABC proposal, perhaps we can work together to accomplish much.

Steppes and Republics

Our party would gladly join a coalition of other parties that expresses interests in expansion and mercantilism such as yours as long as our party would keep it's individual interests.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Lord Windy posted:

trying to have us convert to the old Hellenic religion of our forefathers

The Old Romans will get there eventually, I'm sure.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Blackunknown posted:

Steppes and Republics

Our party would gladly join a coalition of other parties that expresses interests in expansion and mercantilism such as yours as long as our party would keep it's individual interests.

Sure, I mean the focus on the steppes is a tad. . .different, but considering we both want to see more mercantalistic republics in the Empire, I can see us working in coalition with each other to promote interests. I take it you're interested in the ABC proposal?

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

New Byzantines

Fellow Senators, Old Rome did not rise from the brink of destruction to reclaim its heritage - it is forward-thinking Byzantium that brought us the riches of Belgorod and Crimea. It is our commitment to industry and development that supported our efforts in Anatolia and the Steppe, and gave us the resources with which we crushed the Bulgar upstarts. Further expansion will require solid foundations, foundations that the New Byzantines are pouring every day from Constantinople to Cherson.

I implore my fellow senators not to turn away from the ideals which served us so well.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Sure, I mean the focus on the steppes is a tad. . .different, but considering we both want to see more mercantalistic republics in the Empire, I can see us working in coalition with each other to promote interests. I take it you're interested in the ABC proposal?

Steppes and Republics

Yes, your ABC Proposal holds much in common with our own proposal, especially conquering the gold mines of the Hashimid and complete trade hegemoney of the Black Sea.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Mirdini posted:

New Byzantines

Fellow Senators, Old Rome did not rise from the brink of destruction to reclaim its heritage - it is forward-thinking Byzantium that brought us the riches of Belgorod and Crimea. It is our commitment to industry and development that supported our efforts in Anatolia and the Steppe, and gave us the resources with which we crushed the Bulgar upstarts. Further expansion will require solid foundations, foundations that the New Byzantines are pouring every day from Constantinople to Cherson.

I implore my fellow senators not to turn away from the ideals which served us so well.

The one thing that concerns me is the 'forward-thinking' party takes for its name the pre-Christian, barbarian and pagan city which predates our glorious Constantinopolis. It is a minor thing, but to have this one party decrying the 'backwardness' of the other political groups whilst clinging to a name that was old before ever the Roman Empire became Christian seems awry. If you wish to claim our current Polis as the starting point for a new and brighter future, can we not dredge up ancient history, pagan ties and backwards, pre-imperial modes of thought? Are we not Constantinopolitans, our very city itself founded as a new and better hub from which our empire could go from strength to strength when it was first founded? I petition that the name of your party be more in accordance with the views of your party rather than exhuming long-buried, fallen Byzantion.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

I really must ask, who even came up with the idea of calling yourselves Byzantines and why? It really does seem rather counterproductive.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Let's be honest, New Constanipolitines just is hard to say, it doesn't rally the heart and is difficult to work into successful oratory. Byzantine has a certain sonic euphony that allows it to flow readily from the tongue, even in the mouths of those who do not speak Greek.

And again, there are those who demand that we call ourselves Roman. This is just a silly concept, at least until the day that we hold Rome. That day is not today. We may inherit the glories of Rome, but we are not restricted by its failures, and yes, Rome had its failures. The Roman Empire was not a perfect place. There are those who will call me traitor for speaking such words, even in the company of those who wish for us to invade the territory of the papists or to renounce our faith altogether to join with the Turks.

No, we are not Romans. We are, perhaps, not Byzantines. What we are, ultimately, is Greek.

I do not know why this word is so poor regarded among our numbers. The Greeks of antiquity were perhaps too prone to internecine conflict, which is a familiar refrain is it not? But they were also wise and learned above their peers, and even the men of Rome traced their legacy back to the Greeks of Ilium. Greeks were civilized, and even those that conquered the Greeks became civilized in the process. We are inheritors not just of those original city-states but of those that came after.

We are Greek and we are Macedonian and we are Roman. But now? Now we are something new.

And until there is a better word for it, I say we be called Byzantines.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

If we are so Greek, why do we continue to allow Pecheneg invaders and Crimeans to dominate trade? Why do we allow local, defeated, ex-infidel aristocrats to rule over vast provinces? Greeks were famous for another thing, Senator: colonization. Our ancestors spread across the Mediterranean, founding new, Greek, cities, and would change the very character of the surrounding lesser peoples. As I have said, our own imperial predecessors did the same in Gaul and Hispania.

I therefore call for the appointment of Greeks alone to themes, for the destruction of the traitorous Pecheneg "despotate," and for the reorganization of the merchant republics under Greek patricians! We must remake conquered peoples in the image of Constantinople to ever be truly united!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Meinberg posted:

But now? Now we are something new.

And until there is a better word for it, I say we be called Byzantines.

How can we trust you to innovate our policies, innovate our strategy, innovate the disposition of our armies, innovate our territotial expansion or innovate our civic progress when you collectively can't even innovate your own name?

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

If we are so Greek, why do we continue to allow Pecheneg invaders and Crimeans to dominate trade? Why do we allow local, defeated, ex-infidel aristocrats to rule over vast provinces? Greeks were famous for another thing, Senator: colonization. Our ancestors spread across the Mediterranean, founding new, Greek, cities, and would change the very character of the surrounding lesser peoples. As I have said, our own imperial predecessors did the same in Gaul and Hispania.

I therefore call for the appointment of Greeks alone to themes, for the destruction of the traitorous Pecheneg "despotate," and for the reorganization of the merchant republics under Greek patricians! We must remake conquered peoples in the image of Constantinople to ever be truly united!

Steppes and Republics

Good sir I must protest this course of action, we Pecheneg, Cuman, and Crimean Nobles and Merchenys are as loyal to the Roman crown as any Citizen of the Empire. We certainly do not revolt any more then the Greek themes, and we certainly do not send any less trade revenue to the Crown for Imperial use.

Blackunknown fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 24, 2014

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

You know, there is a way for us to get around all this petty and counter productive ethnic and cultural strife. A way for us to create unity and harmony regardless of kinship and meaningless tribal affiliation!

We just have to join ummat al-Islamiyah!

Tell you what, we can compromise. I would understand completely if Euphosyne chooses to remain Orthodox, but I would suggest that her heirs be raised Sunni. Then everyone will have time to get used to the idea! Also, you would all have more time to learn Arabic.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

I strongly suggest that instead of switching the empire wholesale to foreign ways in a move that will surely result in violent upheaval and likely disintegration, that when in Rome, you do as us Romans do.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

Talky posted:

Tell you what, we can compromise. I would understand completely if Euphosyne chooses to remain Orthodox, but I would suggest that her heirs be raised Sunni. Then everyone will have time to get used to the idea! Also, you would all have more time to learn Arabic.

I agree, let us compromise - the Empire remains Orthodox, as we have been for centuries going back to noble Constantine, and we crucify you Turk-lovers as traitors in true Roman fashion. If necessary I would compromise with "New Byzantine" ways and settle for beheading or blinding/castration.

Gnooble fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 24, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Blackunknown posted:

[SaRiconhere]
Steppes and Republics

Good sir I must protest this course of action, we Pecheneg, Cuman, and Crimean Nobles and Merchenys are as loyal to the Roman crown as any Citizen of the Empire. We certainly do not revolt any more then the Greek themes, and we certainly do not send any less trade revenue to the Crown for Imperial use.

You are right on trade revenue. The Komnenoi have given you steppe invaders a monopoly over the Empire, over Greeks! They have allowed you a vassal king, as if you were more worthy than the formerly Roman and Orthodox Vlachs you continue to oppress! Already these mistakes have cost Roman lives, Roman money, and Roman honor! Rebellions will continue to bankrolled by you foreigners until you are free of the Empire, which is why the entire area must be Romanized.

You can have your steppes, but learn Greek. Participate in millennia of glory! Become our true brothers. Forget your pagan ways, forever.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

You are right on trade revenue. The Komnenoi have given you steppe invaders a monopoly over the Empire, over Greeks! They have allowed you a vassal king, as if you were more worthy than the formerly Roman and Orthodox Vlachs you continue to oppress! Already these mistakes have cost Roman lives, Roman money, and Roman honor! Rebellions will continue to bankrolled by you foreigners until you are free of the Empire, which is why the entire area must be Romanized.

You can have your steppes, but learn Greek. Participate in millennia of glory! Become our true brothers. Forget your pagan ways, forever.

I just want to point out that the ABC proposal seeks to rectify the complete monopoly Crimea has by requesting that more republic be created so we're not wholey dependent on Crimea for our wealth. More Republics, more money, and more chances to install Greek rulers in those new republics. Just saying.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Our problems can only be fixed at the roots. Crimea and Belgorod must both be dissolved and then reformed under Greek patricians, commanded by the Empress to begin Romanizing their subjects. The same goes for every theme under foreign control, along with that abominable "despotate."

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Steppes and Republics
I take no issue with learning the Greek language and most of the Roman controlled Steppes have converted to Orthodoxy, but I refuse to forgo our culture. It is us Civilized warriors of the Steppes that can keep the northern pagans out of the Empire's land. Further more we most certainly do not "bankroll rebellions" as you have put it. In fact I would like to propose that Horse Archers be put into any standing army created as to assist in putting down rebellions so as to strike fear into the hearts of any who would dare think of rebelling against our glorious empire.

Blackunknown fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
:siren: Voting is closed! :siren:

• Locked thread