Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Looks like there is a large fleet in Tribute being streamed, and the stupid low hanging fruit predictably dropped from the tree.

https://zkillboard.com/detail/37038228/

:negative: :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renzyal
Aug 4, 2013

quote:

Wait, what? Apparently I missed something amongst all this unironic talk of hisec mission running.

What are you talking about?

This https://soundcloud.com/shutupandshave/wrecking-shot

Renzyal fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 24, 2014

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Because it's dismal income for what you're risking, and because unless you have a beastly computer and the will to fund tons of accounts at once ratting is a dead end in terms of scaling income.

How do you make money?

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
I used to run lowsec plexes in my Stratios, but I hosed up and tried to kill an Ishtar unprepared. Now I fly around lowsec, probing down exploration sites in my Astero and ransoming the ship of everyone who comes through. I made 180m in the last hour, and I am having real fun being a literal space pirate, as opposed to pretending to have fun shooting red crosses all day.

Bean Head
Feb 22, 2014

Alexzandvar posted:

With some good skills the tengu's align time is very short, making you pretty drat hard to catch barring a really lucky interceptor, and if your packing precision tech 2 missiles you might have a chance of killing him before his buds show up.

to be honest I wouldn't recommend ratting in anything you can't already pay for if you lost it the second you undock. And if a cloaky camper sets up in your system just tech 2 your fit and be ready to warp out.

That's pretty much how I do it in Fountain, although thinking on it I could carry a few other types of precision too. The only bling I have on my tengu is 3 CN BCS in the lows. I'd like to try ratting with a VNI at some point and see how I go, lest all that time wasted training for T2 sentries go to waste.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bean Head posted:

That's pretty much how I do it in Fountain, although thinking on it I could carry a few other types of precision too. The only bling I have on my tengu is 3 CN BCS in the lows. I'd like to try ratting with a VNI at some point and see how I go, lest all that time wasted training for T2 sentries go to waste.

You honestly can't go wrong with drones skills so regardless its a good train. If you have really good shield skills you could try upping to a marauder or a Macherial (You can do shield vindi but its tank is eh)if you really want to max your isk per hour, but a VNI is a good goal for cost vs pay out. I would recommend however you keep your tengu on hand, if you ever do escalations there really useful because of there speed and agility.

Back In my days in Feyth my tengu was designated loot scooper just because I would minimize the time we needed to stay in site. Also good for killing those pesky 150k away from entry turrets.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Does the truesec of a system affect rat bounties? Is a -.9 better than a -.5?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Animal-Mother posted:

Does the truesec of a system affect rat bounties? Is a -.9 better than a -.5?

Trusec affects the quality and number of anoms you get, so indirectly, yes.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I think this trumps coolwhoami's rendition. Another chart topper by SUAS.

Cerebral Wolf
Jun 20, 2008
http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=22109455

Welp?...

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

This is fantastic. Made my Monday morning.

Kjep64
Oct 3, 2013

Coffee. Cigarettes. Beer. Kimchi. Ingest.

Kheldragar posted:

I used to HML Tengu, but then I wised up and started on the path of VNI -> Ishtar. I made 200m yesterday in about 3 hours. (Which is chump change, but still, no effort.)

I use a HAM Tengu currently. It's great dps, but lots of effort. I'll have to train for an Ishtar soon(tm).

NavyBlue
Dec 22, 2013

Guess where this lollipop's going?
What is the easiest way to identify weather or not I can take on a ship? Is there a guide on how strong each ship is depending on its fittings?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

NavyBlue posted:

What is the easiest way to identify weather or not I can take on a ship? Is there a guide on how strong each ship is depending on its fittings?

Yeah. Attack it. If you live, you were strong enough to take it on.

Indigofreak
Jul 30, 2013

:siren:BAD POSTER ALERT!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Leo Showers posted:

Looks like there is a large fleet in Tribute being streamed, and the stupid low hanging fruit predictably dropped from the tree.

https://zkillboard.com/detail/37038228/

:negative: :wtc:

He decided that he would make his own way home instead of sticking with the chain. Then he couldn't move the cyno fuel to the correct bay(might be a bug). He's petitioning CCP about the issue. But rumor is, he's being kicked from Gents.

Indigofreak fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 24, 2014

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

NavyBlue posted:

Don't be fooled if its a tech 1 frig, check the characters age. If there an old character there frig is likely tech 2 fit and will eat your tech 1 rifter/whatever alive.

Also don't try and engage a one up, say like your in a merlin don't go against a Hawk or Harpy. or say go against a cerebrus if your in a caracal.

If your in a fleet in a "hero tackle ship" just do what the FC's says and pray to god you live to get on the kill.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

NavyBlue posted:

When people talk about the skills you can't get in highsec, this is one of them. You learn by attacking things and seeing how it goes. There's no cross-reference table, and if there were it would be out of date by next week.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
You can always attack something. Wining is a whole different matter.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Warmachine posted:

I think this trumps coolwhoami's rendition. Another chart topper by SUAS.

Hey man I put my heart and soul into that :colbert:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Coolwhoami posted:

Hey man I put my heart and soul into that :colbert:

What about effort and talent? :v:

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013

darth cookie posted:

What about effort and talent? :v:

You can't put what you don't have.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Sir_Substance posted:

When people talk about the skills you can't get in highsec, this is one of them. You learn by attacking things and seeing how it goes. There's no cross-reference table, and if there were it would be out of date by next week.

Nevermind irrelevant depending on your fit, the opponent's fit, starting range, likelihood of backup, etc. Maybe that Hurricane has artillery, and your AF can get in close and out-pace his tracking. Or, maybe he's fitting dual 180 autocannons and a neut and web, and you have zero chance of survival. Maybe you think your Megathron can take him either way, but he's an 80k EHP bait cyno fit, and just dropped a gang on top of you.

Eve is a pretty complicated PvP game, and the only time you'll ever actually know for certain (within reason) how an engagement will go is once you know the rough capabilities of every single fitting paradigm for every ship in the game, and have a pretty strong idea of which your opponent is using and how your own will fare against it. And have some idea of whether or not they have backup close by. Or whether your own backup can jam/damp and/or melt them before you die.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

mikey posted:

Eve is a pretty complicated PvP game, and the only time you'll ever actually know for certain (never more tha 99% or so) how an engagement will go is once you know the rough capabilities of every single fitting paradigm for every ship in the game, and have a pretty strong idea of which your opponent is using and how your own will fare against it. And have some idea of whether or not they have backup close by. Or whether your own backup can jam/damp and/or melt them before you die.

So basically never.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Ablative posted:

So basically never.

You can never be certain, no. But if you're experienced, smart, careful, scout heavily, have a good gang with you, and pick your targets well, you can kill thousands of dudes between deaths. Not all of those fights will go as planned, but it's still quite possible to make fewer mistakes than your opponent(s) do, and get out alive.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Kheldragar posted:

Trusec affects the quality and number of anoms you get, so indirectly, yes.

I thought this stopped being a thing years ago and anomaly generation is completely randomized now..

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I thought this stopped being a thing years ago and anomaly generation is completely randomized now..

They do play a role still, but there are sov upgrades called Pirate Detection Arrays which guarantee a certain number of the good/high-end anomalies. These upgrades exist in pretty much every single system in Deklein so true sec doesn't really matter that much anymore. However, if a system doesn't have those arrays, then true sec will determine the anomalies.

Edit: So what do pirate detection upgrades do then? If it's just increasing the chance of an escalation, that's a big waste of money to have so many systems upgraded.

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 24, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

^^^ This is not correct, sorry mang

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Nope. In Incursion 1.4 they changed it so ihub spawned anom quality is directly tied to truesec. Hilariously, this reduced the total number of high-end anoms in nullsec by a factor of approximation 1.41 hojillion.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Glory of Arioch posted:

^^^ This is not correct, sorry mang

Nope. In Incursion 1.4 they changed it so ihub spawned anom quality is directly tied to truesec. Hilariously, this reduced the total number of high-end anoms in nullsec by a factor of approximation 1.41 hojillion.

That was the point.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
Moving caps while drinking more like oh god neuts are everywhere what do i do :pcgaming: :frogsiren:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

OGS-Remix posted:

Edit: So what do pirate detection upgrades do then? If it's just increasing the chance of an escalation, that's a big waste of money to have so many systems upgraded.

The PDA upgrades actually allow those anoms to spawn in the first place. They've always done this. The change in Incursion 1.4 was to make what anoms you actually got contingent on truesec. Before this change, every system spawned at least 3 sanctums, equivalent to the best band of truesec. Now, only -0.85 to -1.00 can do this. This is why Pure Blind and Providence are valueless shitholes and regions like Deklein are very nice for ratting.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ablative posted:

So basically never.
I'd describe it like this: Eve pvp is a fuzzy and complex rock-paper-scissors system. It's fuzzy because a ship hull isn't the only factor, so you can't tell just from the ship type whether the other guy's rock is really a rock. There are plenty of ways that someone can make their rock into an anti-paper rock, at the expense of being much worse against scissors. All you can do is look at the probabilities, and be ready to change your tactics -- or just GTFO -- when you find out you were wrong.

It does take a while to learn (memorize really) where each ship class and hull variant is on the big r-p-s wheel of strengths and weaknesses. But since that knowledge is like 90% of where player skill matters in eve, it's kinda ok that it's difficult.

The other thing is that sometimes you take your ship against an opponent that, in theory, you have no hope against. But the other pilot was an idiot, or didn't know how to fit his ship, or was drunk off his rear end, so you win. So if you have a cheap ship and the other guy has an expensive one, maybe it's worth rolling the dice on a fight you have no business winning.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

bonewitch posted:

Moving caps while drinking more like oh god neuts are everywhere what do i do :pcgaming: :frogsiren:

i did this last night and left my dread weapons behind.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Because it's dismal income for what you're risking, and because unless you have a beastly computer and the will to fund tons of accounts at once ratting is a dead end in terms of scaling income.

What you're risking? Ratting fit carriers are pretty cheap, and there's not many other ratting setups a dedicated drone pilot can fly that makes the money a carrier does. Escobar looses carriers at a "capital builder insider trading" rate, and makes piles of isk.

The only actual real reasons to not carrier rat are either:

A) There are cloakers in system and you can't be assed to move.
B) You can't afford to lose a little over a billion isk. Which is pretty much the rule for anything.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

necrotic posted:

i did this last night and left my dread weapons behind.

This is why I made sure to pack all my poo poo this morning, when I wasn't drinking

Lowkin
Aug 27, 2007
I'm watching destinies stream and this is what I fear going to null-sec before I even have t2 guns on frigates. Their corp or whatever seems in tatters because they have gotten poo poo on every single fight. They just wiped 30 ruptures and I have seen them wipe pretty much every fleet before that. Sure losing a ship is okay but constantly losing drags on everyone and you start to not have fun. I don't want to be on even keel with everyone I just don't want to be pissing ships down the drain and getting frustrated with the game cause I keep losing.

None of them seem to be able to make any ISK either they are relying on destinies plex ISK from subs.

I understand that if I joined an actual corp they wouldn't be as terrible as these guys, but I like to do solo roam or small group stuff as my schedule is very wonky and I can't commit to hour long fleets.

Lowkin fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 24, 2014

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lowkin posted:

I'm watching destinies stream

I think I found your problem.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Lowkin posted:

I'm watching destinies stream and this is what I fear going to null-sec before I even have t2 guns on frigates. There corp or whatever seems in tatters because they have gotten poo poo on every single fight. They just wiped 30 ruptures and I have seen them wipe pretty much every fleet before that. Sure losing a ship is okay but constantly losing drags on everyone and you start to not have fun. I don't want to be on even keel with everyone I just don't want to be pissing ships down the drain and getting frustrated with the game cause I keep losing.

None of them seem to be able to make any ISK either they are relying on destinies plex ISK from subs.

I understand that if I joined an actual corp they wouldn't be as terrible as these guys, but I like to do solo roam or small group stuff as my schedule is very wonky and I can't commit to hour long fleets.

You're gonna lose a lot of ships. It will be frustrating sometimes. But then one day something will click and you'll nail that guy who thought he could take you, and eventually you'll have learned enough to know who you can take, and who you'll have to run away from. It's gonna be discouraging to start, since T1 fit frigates are pretty terrible, but keep in mind that after every fight, win or lose, you learn something, and that experience is more valuable than an A-Type Deadspace fit Dramiel.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CainFortea posted:

What you're risking? Ratting fit carriers are pretty cheap, and there's not many other ratting setups a dedicated drone pilot can fly that makes the money a carrier does. Escobar looses carriers at a "capital builder insider trading" rate, and makes piles of isk.

You could run level 5 missions and make literally six or seven times the isk/hour. The only highly-skilled pilot it takes is the carrier guy.

Or just anomaly rat in an Ishtar instead of risking a 1.5-2b isk ship for 10m/tick more.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Lowkin posted:

I'm watching destinies stream and this is what I fear going to null-sec before I even have t2 guns on frigates. There corp or whatever seems in tatters because they have gotten poo poo on every single fight. They just wiped 30 ruptures and I have seen them wipe pretty much every fleet before that. Sure losing a ship is okay but constantly losing drags on everyone and you start to not have fun. I don't want to be on even keel with everyone I just don't want to be pissing ships down the drain and getting frustrated with the game cause I keep losing.

Oh boy I usually stay out of this, but I struggle to read your posts and I'm hoping that this will lead to a productive change. So, with that in mind;

Destiny is an idiot for several reasons. First among them is for streaming EVE when he is a ~notable person~. He has many people who don't really like him for various reasons and he records his fights (and the squeals of his pubbie fleetmates when he dies). It should come as no surprise then that his fleets get more than their share of dunks in a game full of immortal sociopaths.

It is entirely possible to have huge amounts of fun getting blown up... If you fly with the right people. Destiny doesn't fly with the right people. He flies with pubbie shitlords and it is reflected in his streams. This is in direct contrast to goon fleets where the op is considered a failure if you come back alive.

The other point is that while you will get blown up a lot on goon fleets (yay!) you will do your share of popping the other guy too. This is because most of our FCs are annoyingly competent.

As for cost? You really need to stop worrying about it. Frigates are free, and it is entirely possible to fit ships so you actually make a profit when you explode due to the generous reimbursement program once you get above the "free frigate" level. Besides, money rains down on newbees and we have well established paths to wealth once you outgrow the free stuff phase.

No goon who asks for help gets left behind. Its why we are where we are today.

I'm hoping some of this reaches you, because I am literally watching you morph into the EVE-O pubbies I nuke to make the game a better place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I thought Laz got Destiny to join AMOK.?

• Locked thread