Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bisty Q. posted:

That and management consulting. Statistically, btw, puzzle questions (like "how many ping-pong balls fit in a bus") are worse than worthless when predicting employment success.

How so? 'employment success' is such a vague metric. Programmers do it, not to see if they get a correct answer(sometimes there is none) but to hear out the step by step logic that's going on in the head of the interviewee.

There's a big difference, IMO between someone who logically thinks through the problem, asks me if they can google it or simply breaks down in tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

wasey posted:

I need help. I need to cut some lines from this resume to get it to fit on one page. I could play with formatting, however I think my resume is weak and needs work. If anybody has suggestions I would love to hear them. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0v7gyG-8tGDVXZXclpUdXdmc2s/edit?usp=sharing

Here is a VERY basic critique. Hope this helps!

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So I went to an interview the other day and after leaving it I realized I don't know wtf to expect.

I got there, had to wait for a bit while the interviewer took care of some stuff, and the interview started alright.

But then she started psychoanalyzing me:

'I have to say, I think you try/do look more confident than you really are.'
'I don't think you say everything that you're thinking.'

Thrown in with some typical stress questions:

'Ehh, your GPA could be better.' - It's actually a lot higher than their requirements.
'So, you worked in the summer while doing your Master's. Why so little time though?' - It was only during the summer, wtf did she expect.
'Oh, your girlfriend studies in XX school? Well, that really seems like a bad choice.' - Staring at me. It's actually the best school in the area.

She kept throwing these at me, even implying that I cheated on my psychometrics online tests.

I kind of have problems challenging authority, so in a couple of questions for example I just nodded and looked uncertain. For most of them, I acted coolly, because I wasn't even "aware" of what she was trying. What's the ideal way of dealing with these, should I challenge the interviewer by politely disagreeing, just present my point of view, what? I don't ever want to do an interview like that again, I felt stressed for the rest of the day. I can handle pressure pretty well (while it may seem not) but it was just so out of left field I don't know what to expect as a result of this.

After the interview I asked her 'So, what are my chances?'. 'They're good.. But yeah, I have to interview other people'. Another curve ball. gently caress her.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

How so? 'employment success' is such a vague metric. Programmers do it, not to see if they get a correct answer(sometimes there is none) but to hear out the step by step logic that's going on in the head of the interviewee.

There's a big difference, IMO between someone who logically thinks through the problem, asks me if they can google it or simply breaks down in tears.

Riddles and logic puzzles are a bad way of measuring that, since they have more to do with whether the person has heard similar riddles before than anything else. A good way to interview a programmer is to give them a programming exercise to solve, not some poo poo about how to get out if you're trapped in a blender.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

orange sky posted:

So I went to an interview the other day and after leaving it I realized I don't know wtf to expect.

I got there, had to wait for a bit while the interviewer took care of some stuff, and the interview started alright.

But then she started psychoanalyzing me:

'I have to say, I think you try/do look more confident than you really are.'
'I don't think you say everything that you're thinking.'

Thrown in with some typical stress questions:

'Ehh, your GPA could be better.' - It's actually a lot higher than their requirements.
'So, you worked in the summer while doing your Master's. Why so little time though?' - It was only during the summer, wtf did she expect.
'Oh, your girlfriend studies in XX school? Well, that really seems like a bad choice.' - Staring at me. It's actually the best school in the area.

She kept throwing these at me, even implying that I cheated on my psychometrics online tests.

I kind of have problems challenging authority, so in a couple of questions for example I just nodded and looked uncertain. For most of them, I acted coolly, because I wasn't even "aware" of what she was trying. What's the ideal way of dealing with these, should I challenge the interviewer by politely disagreeing, just present my point of view, what? I don't ever want to do an interview like that again, I felt stressed for the rest of the day. I can handle pressure pretty well (while it may seem not) but it was just so out of left field I don't know what to expect as a result of this.

After the interview I asked her 'So, what are my chances?'. 'They're good.. But yeah, I have to interview other people'. Another curve ball. gently caress her.

Was this a screener type person or someone you'd be directly working for or with on the job? If its HR then 'meh' thats kind of nuts but not necessarily a red flag although I'd still be a little nervous that the company is interviewing that way. If its someone you'd be working for or with: run, run as fast as you can.

Thats not really "pressure" someone intentionally loving with you isn't pressure, its loving with you. Thats why you felt stressed the rest of the day, because it was a really negative interaction, nothing wrong with you or your perspective. I'm not sure there is much more you can do than just be cool and get through it.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Was this a screener type person or someone you'd be directly working for or with on the job? If its HR then 'meh' thats kind of nuts but not necessarily a red flag although I'd still be a little nervous that the company is interviewing that way. If its someone you'd be working for or with: run, run as fast as you can.

Thats not really "pressure" someone intentionally loving with you isn't pressure, its loving with you. Thats why you felt stressed the rest of the day, because it was a really negative interaction, nothing wrong with you or your perspective. I'm not sure there is much more you can do than just be cool and get through it.

It was HR, yeah I know it doesn't really influence my job later on but I wanted to know how I should have reacted and if it's really that serious, not questioning some of her judgement. I'm still kind of nervous because if I do get to the next stage of interviews I'm going to be interviewed by the head of the department I'm entering, and I know she'll assist in the interview. Don't know if she's just gonna keep that poo poo up, and if so how I'm supposed to react. Just act coolly and be above all that I guess. Thanks.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I've witnessed some "screwing with them" interviews but it was only when the applicant was wildly unqualified and the interview was amusing himself, and even then it was more on the line of making them explain really shoddy and obviously poor work in detail to the point of absurdity, not blatantly insulting them. Your experience does sound like a red flag of a crappy work environment.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"

orange sky posted:

It was HR, yeah I know it doesn't really influence my job later on but I wanted to know how I should have reacted and if it's really that serious, not questioning some of her judgement. I'm still kind of nervous because if I do get to the next stage of interviews I'm going to be interviewed by the head of the department I'm entering, and I know she'll assist in the interview. Don't know if she's just gonna keep that poo poo up, and if so how I'm supposed to react. Just act coolly and be above all that I guess. Thanks.
Christ almighty, though, if you don't get the job I would complain about your experience. I'd be more likely to say "screw it" and use the next interview to complain about the HR person. I'm not sure exactly what that interview technique could accomplish other than answering the question of "how would this person react if they and their loved ones were insulted and demeaned?" Are you applying for a job as a police officer or prison warden?

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Bisty Q. posted:

That and management consulting. Statistically, btw, puzzle questions (like "how many ping-pong balls fit in a bus") are worse than worthless when predicting employment success.

Do you have statistics for this?

Market sizing/estimation questions in consulting aren't really puzzle questions, they are just about approaching an ambiguous problem reasonably and logically. I agree that they don't seem like they should be leaned on that heavily, but I don't see where you're getting your certainty from.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

semicolonsrock posted:

Do you have statistics for this?

Market sizing/estimation questions in consulting aren't really puzzle questions, they are just about approaching an ambiguous problem reasonably and logically. I agree that they don't seem like they should be leaned on that heavily, but I don't see where you're getting your certainty from.
Google hasn't published the raw numbers, but has spoken openly about how, when running the data, they found the process to be a complete waste of time:
http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/200732/google-admits-its-famous-job-interview-questions-were-a-complete-waste-of-time/

I don't agree that this is a reasonable and logical approach to problem-solving. This is figuring out how to sell a random guess with made-up numbers as the answer to a question that the business needs. I can see how this is a very useful skill for a consultant to have, but it's worthless for organizations that care about having accurate data.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Depending on the role, those sorts of questions would be infinitely more worthwhile if they were framed as "How would you estimate..."

Then you go "Well, say a ping pong ball is a cubic inch, bus is 10x40 feet, take out 20% for chairs and stuff, multiply by .74 for densest packing (ceramics class!), and there's your estimate."

In that sense, you're getting the

quote:

This includes asking a candidate to describe a real-life situation in which they solved a difficult analytical problem. This has the added benefit of showing the interviewer what the candidate considers to be a difficult analytical problem “rather than having each interviewer just make stuff up,” says Bock.

and still also having the benefit of seeing how the candidate is able to deal with these situations on their feet. On the other hand, the more convoluted questions or completely crazy ones that are mentioned in that article are exactly what the article says, worthless, because they are either not really applicable to real life (You're now the size of a nickel!), involve way too many factors (Window washing in Seattle) or is in some other way not a reasonable question to ask when you're expecting an answer right away.

The point is, it's how the candidate approaches the problem and thinks it through (for example, with the ping pong balls in the bus, did the candidate take into account packing density? Try to account for the space taken up by chairs?) rather than the actual answer. This also has the added benefit of allowing the interview to better evaluate the answer.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 25, 2014

orange sky
May 7, 2007

deptstoremook posted:

Christ almighty, though, if you don't get the job I would complain about your experience. I'd be more likely to say "screw it" and use the next interview to complain about the HR person. I'm not sure exactly what that interview technique could accomplish other than answering the question of "how would this person react if they and their loved ones were insulted and demeaned?" Are you applying for a job as a police officer or prison warden?

Nope, job on the telecom area. Engineering. Big, big company. It could be it's just this interviewer who does this, though. Don't know anyone else's experience.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey I'm trying to get a job in Seattle area and I'm in Vegas. In April I can start using a Seattle address. In the meantime what is the best way to approach this on my resume? Put "relocating in March" or something instead oft address?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

orange sky posted:

Nope, job on the telecom area. Engineering. Big, big company. It could be it's just this interviewer who does this, though. Don't know anyone else's experience.

She might be a lot better in the next interview since you've "passed" that stage. Assuming it was some kind of test and not bad personality or weird agenda. At a big company, you'll probably never see her again so I wouldn't sweat it or really bring attention to it. If she really is kind of nuts, I would assume the hiring manager would know or pick up on that so I wouldn't worry too much about her torpedoing you, assuming you don't react poorly or get emotional.

Company guess don't answer if you don't want to: is it HP?

BearJazz
Oct 28, 2007

I love being the goddamn BATMAN.
I recently finished up the course work for my second degree (graduation pending because of paperwork), so of course this means that I'm looking over my CV and fretting about every little detail. I would be super grateful towards anybody who would be willing to give notes on my CV.

One of the things that I'm driving myself WAY crazier over than I probably should be is the font. I can't decide if sticking to APA formatting with 12 point Times New Roman would be preferable to using a different font. On the one hand, I want to demonstrate that I know what the hell I'm doing when it comes to technical writing. On the other hand, 12 point Times New Roman is bland as hell.

I'm also, of course, going a little bit crazy because on the one hand it's a CV so it should probably be more than a page, but on the other hand having more than one page can be a liability in the job search.

BearJazz fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 25, 2014

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

She might be a lot better in the next interview since you've "passed" that stage. Assuming it was some kind of test and not bad personality or weird agenda. At a big company, you'll probably never see her again so I wouldn't sweat it or really bring attention to it. If she really is kind of nuts, I would assume the hiring manager would know or pick up on that so I wouldn't worry too much about her torpedoing you, assuming you don't react poorly or get emotional.

Company guess don't answer if you don't want to: is it HP?

Not that big. It's relatively big, here in Portugal. Portugal Telecom

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I have a dilemma here that I had forgotten about:

I worked at the company I worked for in HS and college for a long time, so it's still on my resume. Let's call this "First Employer". Employment dates look like this:

May 2001 - January 2007
- 8 month break -
September 2007 - December 2007

---------------------------------------

Short backstory: I advanced a bunch at First Employer, then quit in January 2007 because I got a full-time job elsewhere (let's call this elsewhere "Second Employer"). I went back to First Employer in September 2007 because:
1). I was getting ready to quit Second Employer because it turns out I hated it and didn't want to be unemployed AND
2). First Employer offered me a management position (which was a promotion from when I left)

As it turns out, Second Employer didn't fire me when I told them I wanted to look elsewhere, so I was working at First Employer and Second Employer simultaneously during September and October 2007. I picked up a position at Third Employer while working for both First and Second employer, so there is no gap between Second and Third Employers.

I quit First Employer again because Third Employer started wanting lots of overtime out of me, and at the rate they were paying vs. First Employer, "no" wasn't really an option. That, and I wanted to do anything and everything asked of me during the probationary period.

---------------------------------------

Edit: Full timeline looks like this:

First Employer: May 2001 - January 2007
Second Employer: October 2006 - October 2007
Third Employer: October 2007 - Present

with the weird four-month stint happening between September 2007 and December 2007 (overlapping both Second and Third Employer).

So here we are now: I'm not sure how to handle this on my resume. Currently, I just have "May 2001 - January 2007" listed on my resume, with all the experience (management and otherwise) listed beneath.

However, I'm not sure if that would look weird to somebody calling and asking First Employer about dates.

I have considered putting "May 2001 - December 2007" but I am concerned that THAT would look weird to somebody calling First Employer about dates as well, even though I was employed elsewhere so there are no gaps in my work history, just a gap with First Employer. (When I called First Employer for my work history, she stated that if anybody called, she would disclose that there was a gap, and that it would only look weird if I was terminated elsewhere or something)

Trying to break it up seems clunky, though. Basically, I want to be nice and concise, but also honest.

Which way would be the best way to present this info?

Zarin fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 26, 2014

Nog
May 15, 2006

I've been asked to conduct a breakfast interview with some bigwig for a six-figure job in the security industry. This is just some basic, $19 hotel buffet deal, but my only confusion is on the "casual dress" aspect. For a lunch interview, I know casual dress would still mean suit and tie, but I've never even heard of a casual breakfast interview.

Am I overthinking this? Just wear a drat suit and tie? Does the fact that this is the second round of interviews mean anything?

Edit: nm, the guy just emailed me on his own to let me know that this a no-tie deal

Nog fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 26, 2014

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
So I'm posting this here because I think it's an appropriate place, if not I can move it elsewhere.

I am fortunate enough to be in a profession where I have recruiters hassling me all the time with job opportunities. They're really good at linking together candidates with job opportunities at smaller companies, as many of my coworkers have used them to go to places that wouldn't be on the Fortune 500 list. Places that don't have their own career websites. But what about large public Fortune 50 or 100 companies? Will a recruiter help or hinder me there? Are they going to say "eh, we have our own recruiting department who we pay a salary to, we don't need to pay X months of this candidate's salary on top of that" or "Oh nice, they brought us a nice candidate that we otherwise may not have found"

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

What's the appropriate amount of time between the conclusion of an interview and sending a thank you e-mail? I usually send them at the end of the day I interviewed if I interviewed in the morning, since I usually thank the interviewer at the conclusion of the interview as well.

Is that too soon or should I be sending these immediately after an interview?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Chaotic Flame posted:

What's the appropriate amount of time between the conclusion of an interview and sending a thank you e-mail? I usually send them at the end of the day I interviewed if I interviewed in the morning, since I usually thank the interviewer at the conclusion of the interview as well.

Is that too soon or should I be sending these immediately after an interview?
It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you're just looking to be cordial, send them a follow-up less than a day later. If you're trying to subversively remind them "hey, I'm here and still interested" partway through a long string of candidate interviews (and boy do I love doing this), wait a little bit to bring your name up again.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Well, I just got laid off, yay! I have a few connections from my ex-boss, and I'm working on my resume, so hopefully I can find something soon.

I have one style question, first. A lot of resume templates I've seen have had, in the experience section, the company and time period worked on one line, and then the job title and the location on the next line. I figure the location is pretty irrelevant these days, and it's more important to keep the resume to what's strictly useful to convince a recruiter that you're worth talking to. To do that, I've put the title, company and time period worked on one line, with all of the elements pretty clearly distinguished visually. Does this seem reasonable?

However, this compounds another problem: slimming it down has cut the length of my resume by 15%, and it no longer fills a full page. Usually, that might be good because it would give me more room to talk about what I did. However, I'm in a pretty bad position for that, since I was only at the company for 5 months, in a position that was the only one of its kind at the company, and they found that the position wasn't worth paying for. So I didn't have a chance to do much, I can't compare my work to anyone else in the company, there were no real goals that I achieved, and I didn't generate value for the company. The last part was the fault of management (not that management was bad but I think they figured they'd hire me and then figure out what I'd do) and much more so the way the industry has been going for the last year.

So I've got an NDA, no quantifiable achievements, and a short work history at my first out of school job, which is worrisome of its own right, but also because my educational background (decent state schools) isn't 100% Ivy league all the time that most people in my position have. I'm worried, goons. Any tips you have would be most welcome.

I don't have anything quantitative to say, really, but I have built a ton of stuff from the ground up. The rub here is that I'm not really aiming for a developer position where that is useful. Still, it's all I've got, and I wonder how I can make it as positive as possible. Building a piece of software that didn't exist before is an infinity percent improvement, anyway! It just didn't make anyone money....

In the meantime, I've filled up space on my resume with two very relevant conferences I attended, and a 1st place award at a programming competition. I hope that's not too ridiculous.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

orange sky posted:

So, I went through. All part of the game, I guess. Let's hope she's different next interview. After this one, with a positive feedback, I'm in. :)

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I sent in an email to a position a friend told me was open. I sent a cover letter as the body of the email and then a pdf of my references and another pdf of my resume. The HR person just emailed me back asking for my cover letter and references as they have forwarded my resume along. Should I send the same cover letter that I used in the email or should I write another one? I pieced my cover letter together from reading through this thread and am not sure how else to write another one.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"

Unknownmass posted:

I sent in an email to a position a friend told me was open. I sent a cover letter as the body of the email and then a pdf of my references and another pdf of my resume. The HR person just emailed me back asking for my cover letter and references as they have forwarded my resume along. Should I send the same cover letter that I used in the email or should I write another one? I pieced my cover letter together from reading through this thread and am not sure how else to write another one.
I would take the cover letter you wrote in the first e-mail and work it up into a proper document, maybe giving it a nice once-over and changing it up so that it doesn't just look like the same thing you already sent the HR person. Send your references again too even though you already did.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Misogynist posted:

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you're just looking to be cordial, send them a follow-up less than a day later. If you're trying to subversively remind them "hey, I'm here and still interested" partway through a long string of candidate interviews (and boy do I love doing this), wait a little bit to bring your name up again.

Ended up sending one later in the day as I don't think there are too many candidates left to interview before face-to-face invitations are sent out.

Thanks.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

deptstoremook posted:

I would take the cover letter you wrote in the first e-mail and work it up into a proper document, maybe giving it a nice once-over and changing it up so that it doesn't just look like the same thing you already sent the HR person. Send your references again too even though you already did.

Thanks for the quick response. This was what I did and tried to expand on more topics. Also at what point do I attach something as a pdf/word doc vs just have it in the email body?

Dapper Pepper
Mar 25, 2011
Unsure how appropriate this is but couldn't find a better thread for it.
I'm attending a convention next month and am looking to network/find a job. The problem is I'm completely new at this and don't know what to bring or expect. Should I bring my resume? Business cards? (What do I put on my business card if I graduated recently with no real job to put on it?) Should I expect some quick interview questions? How do I go about asking if they're hiring without sounding desperate?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Dapper Pepper posted:

Unsure how appropriate this is but couldn't find a better thread for it.
I'm attending a convention next month and am looking to network/find a job. The problem is I'm completely new at this and don't know what to bring or expect. Should I bring my resume? Business cards? (What do I put on my business card if I graduated recently with no real job to put on it?) Should I expect some quick interview questions? How do I go about asking if they're hiring without sounding desperate?

Is this a convention or a job fair?

If the later, bring copies of your resume. If the former, bring business cards and have your resume ready to email.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
If I never list any of the jobs I've been fired from on my resume, can I say I've never been fired from a job when they ask?

edit: "Place an X by the employer's you do NOT wish us to contact." Isn't that a trap?

the fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 27, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

the posted:

If I never list any of the jobs I've been fired from on my resume, can I say I've never been fired from a job when they ask?

If you do, it would be a lie. Would they ever find out? Who knows. Lying during the application process, if discovered, may be a fireable offense later on.

the posted:

edit: "Place an X by the employer's you do NOT wish us to contact." Isn't that a trap?

No, that's just a courtesy to make sure they're not calling someone who's gonna get you in trouble for looking for a job. Are you giving out contact info on a first application?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

FrozenVent posted:

No, that's just a courtesy to make sure they're not calling someone who's gonna get you in trouble for looking for a job. Are you giving out contact info on a first application?

I've had a phone interview and handed them my resume. I went in for a written employment test, and they handed me a paper application to fill out and hand back while they review the results of the test. It's weird, because it's for an office job at a technical company, but yeah it asks for previous contact info/references/etc.

Dapper Pepper
Mar 25, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Is this a convention or a job fair?

If the later, bring copies of your resume. If the former, bring business cards and have your resume ready to email.

Convention, and I'll do just that, thank you! For business cards, is a name, e-mail, phone number and major okay?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
So yesterday morning, I got a voicemail for a second interview at a place I was at Tuesday. The guy wanted me in asap, late that afternoon even if possible, so I called back and left a voicemail because he and the HR person I met with were out. They got back and said they were waiting on a time that works for the HR rep, the dept head and the president (I met all of them already. But it was kind of on a whim since I applied for something else, and the HR rep liked my resume and decided I was a better fit for an unlisted position that they were looking to fill, so I randomly met the President and dept head who liked me a lot).

I've still not heard back from them. Is it pushy to call again later this afternoon? I am gonna follow up with another place I am pretty sure I am going to get an interview for, but I want to schedule this first if possible.

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 28, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Give it a few more days. Hiring someone is a big deal, especially for a small company; it's really not a decision that should be made on the spot.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Unknownmass posted:

Thanks for the quick response. This was what I did and tried to expand on more topics. Also at what point do I attach something as a pdf/word doc vs just have it in the email body?

This is just my opinion (as someone who has both applied to tons of jobs, and received tons of applications for jobs that I listed), but it is nice to have everything as an attachment as a single file. For example, a Word document or PDF with the first page being the cover letter, pages 2-3 or whatever the resume, and the last page the references. That way, the hiring manager can print them all out at once.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
People still include references on resumes?

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

At what point do you guys stop listing previous work experience? I'm looking to change careers and while I have some previous experience in the career I'm looking to move into it was 5+ years ago. I still have the old manager as a reference, would it be worth mentioning on a resume?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Arabian Jesus posted:

At what point do you guys stop listing previous work experience? I'm looking to change careers and while I have some previous experience in the career I'm looking to move into it was 5+ years ago. I still have the old manager as a reference, would it be worth mentioning on a resume?

I would think absolutely. Most employers want 10 years of previous work history on the application, so why not have it on the resume?

Granted, I don't know how many places you have worked at/been promoted through a lot of positions in the in-between time, so maybe it is hard to get something 5 years back on the page, but I try and list relevant stuff at the top of the resume. It would seem that experience in that field would be relevant.

Getting it to the top of the page might be tricky, though. I know people in this thread have frowned upon the non-chronological resume because it looks like you are concealing gaps (even if there are none to conceal).

One idea I had as a workaround for this: bullet-point the qualifications listed in the posting, with sub-bullets on how you meet them. Later on, have an "employment" section with the bare-bones Company, Dates, and Ending Position Title. One to two lines per employer, put them all on, and prove you don't have any gaps.

Another suggestion would be a "summary" section at the top, where you could quickly point out how you fit the position (including past experience), then finish the resume like normal.

Of course, I invite others to chime in as well. Maybe these are horrible suggestions and I just don't know it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
I start my new job tomorrow, and the HR person said she was going to send me first day info, but I never got any. I sent her an email asking for it Friday but she never got back to me. The job is in a huge building downtown with several floors. What do I do?