Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Hahahaha holy poo poo Gyoru coming through and soloing the quadruped fortress. Dunno if ProfessorXbox1 is even a goon but great fuckin' session to you and stratowagon.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Please tell me recruitment into the EDF involves screening specifically for the most insane people to give the most destructive weapons ever conceived. I have the Jackhammer, a loving fast reloading rock'em-sock'em extending robot fist on my arm and I can't stop!

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Crabtree posted:

Please tell me recruitment into the EDF involves screening specifically for the most insane people to give the most destructive weapons ever conceived. I have the Jackhammer, a loving fast reloading rock'em-sock'em extending robot fist on my arm and I can't stop!

The Jackhammer is absolutely the best weapon, full stop. Wait until an ant picks you up with it, it's loving cartoonish.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
^^ I love the Jackhammer but I hate using it because you can't dash cancel with it like you can with all the other melee weapons. ^^

Drakenel posted:

My answer to that and every tough enemy has always seemed to be high powered sniper rifles.

Yeah, you'd think that wouldn't work because of how fast they move, but there's always a point where the pause to turn around, and I just nail them then. Sure the red flyers are HP sinks, but just be sure to bring a high damage gun, I suppose.

These fuckers are the most unfun garbage I've ever seen, goddamn. If you don't have a team full of snipers on Hard or higher you're pretty much hosed because they have a bazillion hitpoints and do a bazillion damage. I just want to blow up giant armies of hectors and ants and poo poo, not sit and agonizingly aim sniper rifles at flying poo poo while hiding under a building like I'm playing Gears of War or something. :qq:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I haven't noticed this small suggestion yet when I have been reading this thread, but before taking on Crimson (On Normal :shobon:) with no grinding (Thank god for that Volcano tri-rocket launcher), I did two things.

slightly turned down sound effects, so the next change would be more noticeable.
Cranked the Music to max.

:rock:

Now I can actually notice the shifts in music to fit the situation amidst all the explosions, gunfire, and bug screams. Made surviving Brute Force that much cooler. "Oh poo poo I brought the burst fire assault rifle and a sniper rifle."

Crabtree posted:

My outlook on X-Com Recruitment, is that they take all the soldiers GI Joe turned down, luring them with the promise of Silly Code Names and Sweet Laser Battles.
I assume something along similar lines for the EDF. "That's right. I'm part of the STORM team, and I fight space aliens! I'm cool now! :downs:"

Man I wish there was a downsblack101

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
My 60 year old scifi geek dad saw me playing as Wing Diver and got excited because he thought I was playing a Robotech game. Then when I told him what I was playing he got excited because he loves giant monster movies. EDF is a game that bridges the generation gap.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Kanos posted:

^^ I love the Jackhammer but I hate using it because you can't dash cancel with it like you can with all the other melee weapons. ^^

This isn't true. I've been using the Jackhammer and dash canceling with it for ages now. Hell, I have a Reflector now which makes me even faster because of how quickly it's reflect animation runs. I'm pretty sure the only time I've taken the Jackhammer off since getting it is when I dropped down to Easy for a while to rush through several missions and decided to play with the Dynamo Blade instead.

Miker525
Jan 2, 2011
This level...A trap.... the gently caress is this? This mission is just frustrating and noy even that fun. What the hell man. First relatively unfun mission yet :/

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Miker525 posted:

This level...A trap.... the gently caress is this? This mission is just frustrating and noy even that fun. What the hell man. First relatively unfun mission yet :/

This mission is great as Wing Diver because you can just fly up and kill everything in the bottlenecks. Sucks for everyone else down below, though!

GGs everyone! Really great ggs!!

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Summary of hours long runs:

"Waaaaaah!"
"Wooooooah!"

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I like how Sandlot's the only company that lets you skip their logo when loading up the game. Good people, those people. :unsmith:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Miker525 posted:

The worst part of that mission to me was the Spiders and Ants who would hang upsidedown on that walkway above taking potshots since usually you are too busy with what is in your fact to notice or deal with them, and I had brought a grenade launcher. Kill spiders first whenever it is safe to because those are more bullshit than the regular ants being thrown at you. Also, look at the spiral ramp above you. You'll see the narrow entry onto it then and you can run your rear end up that to fight less at once in a running battle. Bring at least something that can reach assholes hanging on walls and ledges well above reasonable close range or inaccurate weapon range.

Man, I love the shotguns but the reload speed of the starting ones (4 seconds for all two I've had dropped so far) are murder in situations you'd want to go on a shotgun rampage in. Amazing against Hectors if you get close enough to em though.

Once you get to a simmilar but worse start mission (you'll know it when you see it), just pick a tunnel, hold down the trigger, and plow through as many bugs as possible till they can't come at you from every direction. Granted, I had finally picked up a flamethrower by then.

EDIT: Sweet Jesus that "Mothership" mission. Okay, THIS time I'll beat it, killed all it's floating attack plates before the final form and I have full health. I can do this, those new gun turrets go down in a couple salvos, but I should probably focus on the main weak poi-*killed instantly from full 498 health with a blink and you'll miss it explosion* Oh, I think this mystery explosion is what killed me last time.

Is the trick to that mission to run as far away from the mothership as possible once it hits 3rd form instead of staying at an angle you can actually shoot it's vent from? Because if they are trying to warn me about some new instant death attack I can't even see happen while looking right at the mothership, it's drowned out by all the explosions and gunfire.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 24, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Crabtree posted:

The main requirement to join the EDF is a desire for everyone around you to know when you are reloading or if you need to reload.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

What? Giant insects evolve into dragons . Yeah that science checks out.

Edit: Oh my gosh. The very next mission started off with a speech that just makes me :allears:.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 24, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ethiser posted:

What? Giant insects evolve into dragons . Yeah that science checks out.
Wait until you see the last mission and then get really confused.

It looked to me like they were controlling the evolution of these giant bugs in order to create...themselves.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm getting really good at popping enemies into the air with the Plasma Launchers, then getting air-shots in and killing them. It's stylish! Feels like I'm playing TF2 again. Old Soldier reflexes kicking back in. Firework strats. Launch and explode!

Also, I completely do not remember Bloody Mountain from single player at all. But I'm in the mid-30s there. Either some levels are class-specific or my memory is failing hard.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
This game is a good game, but boy I'm not very good at it anymore. Guess it's been a while since 2017.

Miker525
Jan 2, 2011

rawdog pozfail posted:

This mission is great as Wing Diver because you can just fly up and kill everything in the bottlenecks. Sucks for everyone else down below, though!

Welp that did it. Idk why I didnt think of that. Onto the next mission!!!!

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
The upgraded laser lance has carried me from mission 25 up to 50 so far. Get within 75(?) meters of any scrub and it dies in one shot, red ants die in two shots, and hectors don't know what the gently caress. I finally got a decent thunder sniper to drop as well for anything long range.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Gyoru posted:

Summary of hours long runs:

"Waaaaaah!"
"Wooooooah!"
How do you guys hammer out the emotes so fast? Are there shortcuts?

(I'm Stratowagon, and boy howdy do I like me some orbital strikes)

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

rawdog pozfail posted:

It's great as a fencer because I see a bottleneck and I think this is why all my weapons pierce. :getin:

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

FuSchnick posted:

How do you guys hammer out the emotes so fast? Are there shortcuts?

(I'm Stratowagon, and boy howdy do I like me some orbital strikes)

Plug them in while you game like "Data" from the hit television series star trek

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Edit: Nevermind, I didn't kill enough bugs.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 24, 2014

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Is there some sort of trick I'm missing to mission 32? I keep getting killed by the mothership lasers, sometimes if they're not even anywhere near me, and I don't see any way to avoid them given they come out instantly with no indication where they're going that I see.

edit: WAIT you can blow that thing up?

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 24, 2014

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Finally got my Proteus mech and tried it out on that map where you face down waves of Hectors, bugs, drones and more hectors. drat, even with a cost of 9000, I was able to summon THREE of them over the course of the mission.

The mech is a loving beast. The two arm cannons stun hectors and gunners able to coordinate fire can take one down on hard easily. The missle launcher isn't good against hectors, but was shredding bugs during their phase. And it's 27k health meant it could tank hector fire easily. The only thing it's missing is the ability to squash bugs by stepping on them.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.
This game just keeps coming up with new ways to surprise me.

Wielding two Grom SS's on the Wing Diver has served me easily on every level on Hard so far... right up until this brick wall of a mission, Annihilation. Jesus loving christ, this level.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Finally went back and did the first mission on Hard to see if anything that would make the Mothership battle easier or safer dropped after my second time reaching the end, only to be brought from full 500ish health to instantly dead.

Let's see, a 30 lock missile launcher. A 7 shot, 400 per shot S+ Accurate sniper rifle... Yeah, I think we're good.

Clearing out everything, and slowly and methodically taking out every floating plate that was dropping bombs and lasers on me before activating the Third Form helped. I brought the survivors as far away as I could go while still hitting the weak spot, with as many intact skyscrapers were still standing.

Took out all those drat arms, my EDF buddies I brought with me helped keep the Drones off my rear end, and then took out the mothership while about 10 feet from the map border. With my Hard Mode Sniper Rifle from THE FUTURE (Lv 9, WOW!), it probably would have been faster to directly kill the mothership at that point. But gently caress those arms, they had to go. I don't care all 15 weapon drops were weapons I already had, win is a win, nevermind a win that still has surviving NPC soldiers. :3:

Gonna take a bit of a break even though I know there's plenty more and the game only gets crazier from here. Also, small detail that shows how much Sandlot cares. Their logo is the only logo you can skip when loading up the game, unlike these Havok and Dobly Digital people who seem so full of themselves keeping you from the bug smashing.

EDIT: Just for reference though, it took like, four? Or so shots from my crazy (for Normal Mission) sniper to take down the smaller arms. I was too busy saying 'oh god, please die' when the bigger ones swung into view between skyscrapers to count those.

As for Inferno, that was Legit Normal Drops first go :black101: Though I'm glad I brought the ridiculous 1 shot, 500 DMG sniper rifle when I saw that ant queen in the distance. Good thing it decided a building to the side seemed more interesting than finally reaching acid wave range.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 24, 2014

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
So far I've managed to stick with Air Raider because summoning vehicles is God's intended way to take a big, steaming poo poo on the alien hordes invading Earth and while it was starting to look pretty dicey as my tanks started dying to massed ants and jizz-flinging spiders, finding a Level 55 hover tank with a quadruple-burst railgun has fixed everything. We've been abusing that a little to just go into the level 23 stage to two-shot hectors on inferno and hoover up cool-rear end toys for ranger, fencer and wing diver because forging ahead on hard was starting to really punish us and our outdated/unlucky drops.

My favourite finds so far are the Sticky Grenade launcher for ranger (shotgun-sprays 20x400 damage grenades) and the Force Blade for fencer. Now all I need is a fat satellite weapon.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Does anybody have the Japanese weapon list handy? I can't seem to find it.

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!
Just out of curiosity, how often do you guys have problems with one of the bugs getting...well, bugged, and having to restart a mission because of it?

I'm on mission 22 and always end up with a stray ant or two getting caught up in the walls.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

This isn't true. I've been using the Jackhammer and dash canceling with it for ages now. Hell, I have a Reflector now which makes me even faster because of how quickly it's reflect animation runs. I'm pretty sure the only time I've taken the Jackhammer off since getting it is when I dropped down to Easy for a while to rush through several missions and decided to play with the Dynamo Blade instead.

I'm not talking about shield cancelling, I'm talking about cancelling with the melee weapon itself. With spears you can actually cancel the dash animation with the spear itself without having to have a shield equipped for the reflect trick. The Jackhammer doesn't let you do that for some reason so if you want to move around and cancel with it you actually need a shield, so you can't use it as your gun/melee setup. I normally prefer the Vulcan Hammers if I'm going to go all out melee and bringing a shield because of how often you get knocked back while employing a shield.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Kanos posted:

With spears you can actually cancel the dash animation with the spear itself without having to have a shield equipped for the reflect trick.

What's the name of the spear weapon? I haven't gotten into Fencers yet and I want to know what to keep an eye out for. I think I saw a goon doing this in one of the games I played this weekend. He was leaving white streaks of light on the ground whenever he was dashing around.

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!

Obsurveyor posted:

What's the name of the spear weapon? I haven't gotten into Fencers yet and I want to know what to keep an eye out for. I think I saw a goon doing this in one of the games I played this weekend. He was leaving white streaks of light on the ground whenever he was dashing around.

Any Spear weapon works, Personally I use the Twin Blasting Spears because they boost you forward for extra distance. All you need to do is boost, then fire, boost, fire. It becomes second nature after a bit.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Kanos posted:

I'm not talking about shield cancelling, I'm talking about cancelling with the melee weapon itself. With spears you can actually cancel the dash animation with the spear itself without having to have a shield equipped for the reflect trick. The Jackhammer doesn't let you do that for some reason so if you want to move around and cancel with it you actually need a shield, so you can't use it as your gun/melee setup. I normally prefer the Vulcan Hammers if I'm going to go all out melee and bringing a shield because of how often you get knocked back while employing a shield.

I did not know that. Interesting. Though who blocks with a shield? The reflect negates all damage and may even do some back at the enemy, and if you're using at least an Ion Shield it's quick enough you can spam it between melee attacks with worrying about timing.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I did not know that. Interesting. Though who blocks with a shield? The reflect negates all damage and may even do some back at the enemy, and if you're using at least an Ion Shield it's quick enough you can spam it between melee attacks with worrying about timing.

Using the Jackhammer, you can actually keep your shield deployed with one trigger and spin in circles jackhammering like an idiot with the other. This is at least true of the Ion shields, which are all I use thanks to how fast they are.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

rawdog pozfail posted:

Yeah that was absolutely absurd. Just flew straight into the tunnels with my rapier and created an insane wall of death - nothing visible but ant pieces, filling the screen edge-to-edge, for minutes at a time.

This game is pretty amazing but in retrospect, the class system that sounded so cool really just means you have to grind the whole freaking game 4 times. I have a great wing diver but miss 2017's run-and-bazooka gameplay... but thinking about how much I'll have to grind to get a new ranger anywhere near my wing diver's level makes me hesitant to start over.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Blocking with a Tower Shield + Vulcan Hammer for life. Tower Shields have insane radial coverage while blocking and make you almost immune to damage(I had a teammate Wing Diver shoot me in the face with that stupid plasma bazooka and it did like 20 damage), meaning you can safely charge a vulcan hammer to kill things. It's my go-to combo for ants and non-retiarius spiders.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Ok, Mission 39 spoilers below.

I need to know what to do about FLYING GIANT INSECTS: THE HORNETS as the Fencer because they are beating my rear end down. You have to keep moving against these guys but the Fencer has no real way to stick and move that also is able to one-shot these guys effectively. It's not so bad on Mission 39 but on Mission 40 it starts to get bad, real bad. When I stand still to take a shot I get wailed on and lose 100+ health easily.

Please help. Maybe I'm a few levels away from having something to deal with them? I don't know. I'm able to rip them apart with every other class so what am I doing wrong?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ok, Mission 39 spoilers below.

I need to know what to do about FLYING GIANT INSECTS: THE HORNETS as the Fencer because they are beating my rear end down. You have to keep moving against these guys but the Fencer has no real way to stick and move that also is able to one-shot these guys effectively. It's not so bad on Mission 39 but on Mission 40 it starts to get bad, real bad. When I stand still to take a shot I get wailed on and lose 100+ health easily.

Please help. Maybe I'm a few levels away from having something to deal with them? I don't know. I'm able to rip them apart with every other class so what am I doing wrong?

Dexter Automatic Shotgun, any rank. The way I handle them is I dash cancel backwards from them to make them sort of chase me in a line, then I switch to the Shotgun, use its Jump function, and fire in the air. They have a really hard time hitting airborne targets. When you get overwhelmed, dash away and funnel them after you in a line again.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Kanos posted:

Blocking with a Tower Shield + Vulcan Hammer for life. Tower Shields have insane radial coverage while blocking and make you almost immune to damage(I had a teammate Wing Diver shoot me in the face with that stupid plasma bazooka and it did like 20 damage), meaning you can safely charge a vulcan hammer to kill things. It's my go-to combo for ants and non-retiarius spiders.

Reflector and Jackhammer. The Reflector reflects insanely fast, letting you dash cancel really quickly and move way faster, and is so quick that you can easily just spin in place holding down fire on the Jackhammer and mashing the use button on the Reflector and avoid pretty much any ranged damage.

That said, it doesn't really do a whole lot for stopping melee attacks. But I'm not sure that any shield stops an ant from grabbing you. The plus side is, because you're constantly reflecting projectiles it's not terribly likely that an ally is going to hit you. And even if they do there's a good chance you'll bounce the shot right back in their face for sweet, sweet revenge.

Plus there's just something delightful about reflecting a Hector's shots back in its stupid face, and then fisting it right in its robot balls until it explodes.