Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Chichevache posted:

Fair enough. I was basing it on the fact that my car's wheels are perpetually grimy.

Yeah I hear if you just spray them with WD40 and you don't really wipe it off, it allows you to just wipe off any grime. Never tried cause I never had a bike I cared enough to do it on.

Amusingly enough, the engine is still coated in dust from the Carrizo plain, I never bothered to clean it off. Just put nice fairings over it! :xd:

Mcqueen posted:

Half blue half white wheels like a supermoto.

Anodize forks blue.

I was considering this, but decided against it because I want something that looks relatively OEM. I got the first (unintentional) compliment on the bike, which was "Man, the OEM paintjob on that bike is really nice!". Looks like it was done by the factory is the look I'm going for here :)

I'm considering a dark blue with white rim tape though, that might be the hot ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Get those LED spinner attachments and have them permanently illuminated with ":420: A.C.A.B :420:"

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Plasti dip them something neon for laughs in the interim while you decide on the true color.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I have made the worst decision, and bought something extremely ill-advised by any form of common sense.

But it will be a blast. Might even be able to get it street legal...

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 20, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is that an sv650 engine in NSR250 frame? If you can make that road legal...I just... :frogsiren:

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla
RC30 frame?!?! What's going on here? I demand to know.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I know you love your wheelies and all but, couldn't you buy one with a rubberised front wheel? You know, for safety?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KARMA! posted:

I know you love your wheelies and all but, couldn't you buy one with a rubberised front wheel? You know, for safety?

I'm more concerned with those flimsy looking handlebars. They are attached to the frame instead of the forks. It reduces the risk of tankslapping but I think the steering will become impractical for road use.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Is that an sv650 engine in NSR250 frame? If you can make that road legal...I just... :frogsiren:

Good eye! Not an NSR250 frame though, NC35 (RVF400F) frame. The guy I'm buying the project bike from thinks it should be possible to road legal in CA.

KARMA! posted:

It's much lower drag if you don't have any rubber on the front wheel. Plus, sik sparkz bro.

tarzanspuma posted:

RC30 frame?!?! What's going on here? I demand to know.

I have awoken the sleeper from the south :ohdear:

Ola posted:

I'm more concerned with those flimsy looking handlebars. They are attached to the frame instead of the forks. It reduces the risk of tankslapping but I think the steering will become impractical for road use.

They're the ultimate in drag racing controls.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress, my first guess was NC30 (I had one) but the little NC29-style posts at the rear for the subframe to bolt on to really threw me off. It'll definitely be faster than a factory NC35. I would assume lighter, too cause the mini-v4 was a heavy lump compared to most small engines. You're also luckier than you could ever believe possible in having a 17" rear wheel.

Also do those forks look really unhappy, or is it just a trick of perspective?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh sweet jesus. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

gently caress, my first guess was NC30 (I had one) but the little NC29-style posts at the rear for the subframe to bolt on to really threw me off. It'll definitely be faster than a factory NC35. I would assume lighter, too cause the mini-v4 was a heavy lump compared to most small engines. You're also luckier than you could ever believe possible in having a 17" rear wheel.

Also do those forks look really unhappy, or is it just a trick of perspective?

Yeah, factory RVF400 engine makes about 50 hp, the SV should make 65ish stock, and then another 10-15 if I do decent exhaust work, do the cam swap, and put flatslides on it - shooting for 330 or so pounds. :)

It'll definitely still be slower than the RS450 though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oh yeah, did I mention it comes with a set of these plastics (unpainted)?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
goddamn is that ever cool

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Interesting. What is the tank from? Or is it the factory tank with the front and back cleverly disguised?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Interesting. What is the tank from? Or is it the factory tank with the front and back cleverly disguised?

The tank on this bike is just a shroud - no metal. So Tyga just made another shroud for it. It's also going to make packaging a hell of a lot easier for me because it means the tank design doesn't have to be pretty, just functional.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Crazy, I never knew the NC35 was so fancy compared to the 30 and 29. I think with this little experiment you'll discover that the only part of an SV650 worth keeping is the engine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oh yeah, I have this other thing I'm loving with.

So today I learned it's going to require cutting the drop spars on the frame - I will probably just move the existing mounts up about 2-3 inches. Then I will machine out a rear motor mount and a lower cradle mount, although it may not need the lower cradle mount - I would do it as a failsafe and for additional engine support.

I pick up the RVF early saturday morning.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Wait, are you going to run a full structure cradle for the front and lower mounts? I have seen two separate bikes 08ish crf450s that have had cracked rear motor mount / swingarm pivot just from having the stock front mount lose while riding. Brace that poo poo.

Is that a stock steering dampener?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I think you should use the SV650 motor as a prototype, until you find a KTM 990.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Z3n posted:

But it will be a blast. Might even be able to get it street legal...

Hell

Z3n posted:

Oh yeah, I have this other thing I'm loving with.

Yes

Shine on you crazy diamond bastard. I have a Honda RS125 and a spare CRF450R engine yes I didn't trust my CRF-tard that much that I really shouldn't combine.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Theres an Aprilia RS125 on the local classifieds, If I had endless money I'd be ordering a KTM Freeride E and fitting the motor/battery unit in it. Ship straight to IOM TTXGP.

EDIT: Whoa, the UK dealer for Zero motorcycles is on our sister island Jersey. I never knew. So getting a demo ride next time I'm over.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 21, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

DefaultPeanut posted:

Wait, are you going to run a full structure cradle for the front and lower mounts? I have seen two separate bikes 08ish crf450s that have had cracked rear motor mount / swingarm pivot just from having the stock front mount lose while riding. Brace that poo poo.

Is that a stock steering dampener?

I wasn't really planning on it, simply because the bike doesn't see nearly the sort of loads that you see offroad on the track. But if you've seen cracked ones, I'll make braces. The front mount is rubber mounted stock, so I was planning on re-using that design. I'm considering the best way to rubber mount the rear.

It is the stock damper, yeah.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Theres an Aprilia RS125 on the local classifieds, If I had endless money I'd be ordering a KTM Freeride E and fitting the motor/battery unit in it. Ship straight to IOM TTXGP.

EDIT: Whoa, the UK dealer for Zero motorcycles is on our sister island Jersey. I never knew. So getting a demo ride next time I'm over.

Curious to see what you think of the new zeros - the earlier ones I rode were poo poo.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Hell

Yes

Shine on you crazy diamond bastard. I have a Honda RS125 and a spare CRF450R engine yes I didn't trust my CRF-tard that much that I really shouldn't combine.

Well I know who I'm hitting up when my engine pops. :v:

ReelBigLizard posted:

I think you should use the SV650 motor as a prototype, until you find a KTM 990.

This actually popped up as a proposal when the other guy was doing the design - I wonder if it would fit. I do know a guy with an SM-R that I could measure...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

Well I know who I'm hitting up when my engine pops. :v:
Will deliver for half the cost of my flight out there and a couch to crash on. I'll even carry it on to make sure it's safe.

Z3n posted:

Curious to see what you think of the new zeros - the earlier ones I rode were poo poo.
I really need to test ride one of those things, next time I'm in Atlanta I'm scheduling a demo.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

They're the ultimate in drag racing controls.

Ok I'm sold. LETS GO ALL IN

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Will deliver for half the cost of my flight out there and a couch to crash on. I'll even carry it on to make sure it's safe.

I really need to test ride one of those things, next time I'm in Atlanta I'm scheduling a demo.

Wonder how angry they'd be about you carrying on an engine.

Ola posted:

Ok I'm sold. LETS GO ALL IN

OLA APPROVED:

ENGINE FITS NOW

Just need to remove 20% of an engine case, the kickstarter & gearing, the other frame spar, and...yeah.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 22, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Going to have to keep cutting - the engine mount drops are still catching, the clearance is essentially zero to get the engine up between the frame spars. Might be able to re-use mounting brackets still though.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

Wonder how angry they'd be about you carrying on an engine.

I've never done a full engine but they might not like the fluids, that would be the biggest issue I think. I've carried heads, crankshafts, wheels and various other parts before.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah I can see that.

Anyways, borrowed a sawzall this weekend for more efficient engine mount destruction, but it's gonna be a week or so until I can get to it...work's gonna be busy this week.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
You should start doing your own custom bike show, and instead of raking out stupid choppers or ruining classic UJMs to make cafe racers you should just take 90s light sportbikes with hosed motors and fit ridiculous modern motors into them.

KR1-S with a 690 LC4, kthx.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I was joking earlier this weekend that the ideal garage for me is now one where you start all the bikes and they sound appropriate - but the noises are coming out of the wrong bikes. Like a motorcyclist RL Stien book.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
1st gen Hayabusa with a 300hp Evinrude 300xp V8 2-Stroke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmnsXTMLzCE

Bonus points if you can still get the fairings on.

I'm happy to be the British voice over guy, lets do this poo poo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I have never much cared for the sound of 2 strokes but that thing sounds amazing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rvf lurks in the background, waiting it's turn under the knife...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I absolutely dont have a problem with buying uncommon hondas. No sir.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That frame looks quite strange. What is it? A hawk?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's a CB-1!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ridden one of those. For extra ballerness swap in a CBR400 engine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah we don't get those here.

The nicer one is a friend's first bike, the less nice one is another bad idea waiting to happen. Maybe a lightweight screamer trackbike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Why can't we have a CB400F/ZX4/GSF400/FZ4? :(

• Locked thread