Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wasn't it changed in FES? That's the only PS2 version I've played. I know I didn't like P3 very much, but did I really blot out something that big?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nate RFB posted:

Wasn't it changed in FES? That's the only PS2 version I've played. I know I didn't like P3 very much, but did I really blot out something that big?

It's still in FES.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Nate RFB posted:

It did change in P3P though.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

MrAristocrates posted:

It's still in FES.

Are you sure? I never had party members change stuff on me, ever. Or am I misunderstanding something here?

EDIT: Talking to your party members to change equipment is still in, yeah, but I'm wondering about that other thing that I didn't know could even happen :psyduck:

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 24, 2014

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
P3P added a lot of convenience to Persona 3. Fast travel, direct commands, skill cards, practically removing the fatigue system for easier difficulties. For a Persona 4 (and especially a Golden player) it makes FES or Vanilla almost unbearable.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Dehry posted:

P3P added a lot of convenience to Persona 3. Fast travel, direct commands, skill cards, practically removing the fatigue system for easier difficulties. For a Persona 4 (and especially a Golden player) it makes FES or Vanilla almost unbearable.

You're not wrong. I played FES before I got P3P and it was still a very good game. P3P is just better. If you have the option, I'd say to play P3P and, if you're on guy mode, get one of those "on this day watch this YouTube" guides kicking around online for the one feature FES has over it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

MrAristocrates posted:

It's still in FES.
That's blowing my mind a bit. I would've sworn up and down that it was only The Answer where you'd have to talk to party members to change equipment. You couldn't do it on the fly like in the middle of a dungeon via the menu? I feel certain I messed around with that with accessories or whatever all the time, such as the ones you get from personas that Null certain elements.

Of course this doesn't absolve The Answer so much that it makes PS2 The Journey look even worse.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

That's blowing my mind a bit. I would've sworn up and down that it was only The Answer where you'd have to talk to party members to change equipment. You couldn't do it on the fly like in the middle of a dungeon via the menu? I feel certain I messed around with that with accessories or whatever all the time, such as the ones you get from personas that Null certain elements.

Of course this doesn't absolve The Answer so much that it makes PS2 The Journey look even worse.

Nope, if you want to trade out equipment, either in the lobby or Tartarus proper, you go talk to each team member, they say their current blurb, then there's a [Heal Everyone if applicable] - [Change Equipment] - [It was nothing] menu, then you make the change, then they have a response (thanks for upgrade, acceptance of downgrade, special lines for unique costumes) and then you're back to gameplay.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

While I guess having your party members act on their own makes them seem more like individuals than extensions of your will, it's also really frustrating 90% of the time and makes them all seem like total morons. There's a fair bit of being stupid in Persona 4 specifically as it is, they really don't need the help.

I wish it defaulted to you having direct control because I always forgot to change them manually the first time I used a new character, and they always disappointed me with what their AI chose to do.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dehry posted:

I feel like removing the three physical typings took away a lot from the game. I suppose they still differentiated some extent in P4 what Akasha Arts, Deathbound, Myriad Arrows etc do but maybe I'm just crazy and liked the typings.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Zoness posted:

I feel like removing the three physical typings took away a lot from the game. I suppose they still differentiated some extent in P4 what Akasha Arts, Deathbound, Myriad Arrows etc do but maybe I'm just crazy and liked the typings.

I was a fan. It made the different weapon classes feel different, added a complexity to the physical game to make it more like the elemental one. One major drawback is it made it where you had 9 weakness/resistances to check, which makes it harder to make a "immune to everything" Persona.O

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

I was a fan. It made the different weapon classes feel different, added a complexity to the physical game to make it more like the elemental one. One major drawback is it made it where you had 9 weakness/resistances to check, which makes it harder to make a "immune to everything" Persona.O

Also, I haven't played P3P in a while but IIRC the MC can only use one weapon class -- did P3P retain the weapon mastery skills that you could learn on personae? Because that seems kind of awkward.

It's a shame because in FES the hammer / fist animations for the MC were pretty awesome.

I don't disagree that the core gameplay for P3P is probably more accessible than that of FES but I think the bells and whistles of FES more than make up for the clunkier gameplay. Also party members not being controllable wasn't that crippling - the game was 'balanced' around the MC being able to knockdown-lock enemies.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 24, 2014

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Slash/Pierce/Strike thing was still in P3P, only the MC was given a short sword thus all his attacks were slash. They replaced the various weapons masters with Arms Master since there was no need for other weapons master abilities(which was an addition to Persona 4 due to the same weapon issue.)

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Dehry posted:

The Slash/Pierce/Strike thing was still in P3P, only the MC was given a short sword thus all his attacks were slash. They replaced the various weapons masters with Arms Master since there was no need for other weapons master abilities(which was an addition to Persona 4 due to the same weapon issue.)

Or, for the sake of completeness, a naginata and Pierce. But yeah Arms Master replaces all the individual skills, except teammates' 2nd personas learn Fist Master, Spear Master, etc.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Ratoslov posted:

Yes. I was a great big Aigis fan and I really wanted Persona 3: Robot Waifu edition, and not.... all that poo poo you said.

One day my friend. One day.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Ratoslov posted:

Yes. I was a great big Aigis fan and I really wanted Persona 3: Robot Waifu edition, and not.... all that poo poo you said.
You may have liked Aigis but all I saw was yet another loving Pinocchio story arc starring a robot. Unfortunatly, considering the developers hardon for Aigis I wouldn't be too surprised if she, or another of her "sisters", end up as at least a cameo if not a partymember.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

And even then her Pinocchio story was basically already solved in just her S-Link. She gets emotions, Minato pokes her in the neck, she manifests tear ducts , we all go home slightly less for the whole experience and wondering where our gritty Ken sequel is.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ken is the worst though. Literally the worst.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Ken is the worst though. Literally the worst.

People said the same thing about Raiden though.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

People said the same thing about Raiden though.

If Platinum made a spinoff where Ken became a Cyborg fusion with his Persona and spinning-sliced through enemies I would be okay with that.

Persona Rising: Revengeance.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Ken is pretty much Nightwing with death magic. If you're not down with that, well, we see things differently.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I didn't really have a big problem with Ken. I did read about his Social Link in P3P and went "Hmm. Hmmm. Hmmmmmmmm."

But ignoring things that no one wants to talk about, ever, I didn't have a problem with Ken.

I was indifferent about Aigis at first but reading through the Arena LP, I grew to kinda like her a bit.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You're right, Ken is fine if you haven't seen that s-link.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
People seemed to dislike Ken even before P3P though.

Personally I wanted to not dislike him but every single one of his voice clips grates on me for some reason.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ApplesandOranges posted:

People seemed to dislike Ken even before P3P though.
Ken essentially has no character arc that is worthwhile. He is just a sad sack who didn't really have any business being on SEES and probably should have just stayed some sort of plot device for Shinjiro/Akihiko. He's functionally equivalent to the loving dog, but at least the dog is amusing in a "haha, it's a loving dog using a persona". Those shorts are legit dumb, too.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Ken is just disdained because he replaces Shinjiro, who was, while admittedly maybe trying a little too hard, way more cool.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Mind if I ask what the deal is with this Ken dude and why his S-Link is so bad?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

He is a slink added for FeMC :reddit:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Ken is a little kid and I guess some people didn't like his attitude or personality or whatever.

His S-Link with the Female Protagonist of P3P can end in a relationship. Considering he is, again, a kid, I don't think I have to say any more about that.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Well.

Storyline:
He indirectly gets Shinjiro killed (hospitalized if Shinjiro's link is maxed by the female MC before this cutscene), because he blamed Shinjiro for the death of his mother.

Social Link:
There is a romantic option for his social link, as the female MC.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Part of why I dislike Ken is the fact he's 10 year old. I mean, yeah, it's a story where 17 year old kids fight in a 25th hour by shooting themselve in the head to summon spectral guardians, but for some reason, him being so drat young just grates me to no end. Had they made him noticably younger, but still older, it would have been fine, but as he stands, he, Koromary (coolness excluded), and Aigis don't really fit as well in the group for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My favorite part of Persona 3 is the fact that Junpei and Kuromaru basically have the exact same skillset. Junpei's mind is exactly like that of a small dog's.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Ah. I see. Christ, I'll be avoiding that like the plague then.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

My favorite part of Persona 3 is the fact that Junpei and Kuromaru basically have the exact same skillset. Junpei's mind is exactly like that of a small dog's.

This makes as much sense as saying "Chie = Teddie because they both use Ice skills". Junpei is your starting fire user that switches to physical skills while Koromaru picks up as the main fire user that also gets Dark Skills.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zoness posted:

This makes as much sense as saying "Chie = Teddie because they both use Ice skills". Junpei is your starting fire user that switches to physical skills while Koromaru picks up as the main fire user that also gets Dark Skills.
I was making a joke, dude.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

I was making a joke, dude.

Look man all I'm sayin' is Junpei is a total bro while Koromaru doesn't do anything.

I started playing P3 thinking Junpei was a jerk but honestly he's probably one of the better characters in the game.

While I did my first playthrough of P3 my roommate at the time had the entirely opposite opinion v:shobon:v.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Junpei's even better in the female route, honestly. You get a Social Link with him and he's your awesome best bro.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei's a bro, he's one of my favorite party members in the Persona series. Plot-wise, that is, gameplay-wise he kinda lags behind for the vast majority of the game.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yea, Junpei's social link is pretty great.

Zoness posted:

I started playing P3 thinking Junpei was a jerk but honestly he's probably one of the better characters in the game.

You are probably supposed to think Junpei acts like a jerk right after joining the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Junpei has the best character arc in the series, I think the way P3 handled character growth through the actual story worked better than "and now I am solved" in P4 when you beat up the shadows. Yeah, they still grow as characters through the s-links but so do the P3 characters. I think P3 has a stronger story over all but P4 has a better cast over all.

Female MC and Koromaru are the best though.

• Locked thread