Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

astr0man posted:

Trigger warning: giant fuckoff effortpost incoming - this is also going into the 2nd post of the thread

:siren:Attention new players: please read this post:siren:

:siren:How to CS:GO:siren:

I really appreciate this. What site is the best to learn the callouts for the community maps that the goonmans play? I was Weinertron on one game today, and I spent most of the time quiet because I had no clue what the callouts were on that map besides "mid" and "spiral"

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

I really appreciate this. What site is the best to learn the callouts for the community maps that the goonmans play? I was Weinertron on one game today, and I spent most of the time quiet because I had no clue what the callouts were on that map besides "mid" and "spiral"

You can usually just google "mapname callouts" and check google images. Like "mirage callouts".

Although some of those can be outdated or bad. Other than that, I don't know.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah that was de_mill_ce. I just edited in notes for it now. For some reason the thegoshow maps link from the OP didn't have mill listed and I forgot about it.

edit: toscan/tuscan is just a slightly modified and reskinned version of mill. It has some tuscan specific callouts but most people just use the names from mill. The only other map that gets any semi-regular playtime in goonmans is conduit, but it plays pretty straightforward CT side with a 2-1-2 split.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 24, 2014

aksuur
Nov 9, 2003
babby's first deagle ace (PS THIS GETS YOU INTO A SUPER SECRET CLUB)

Edit - While I'm at it, here's a smoke defuse.

Edit 2 - And a fancy shmancy defuse denial.

aksuur fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 24, 2014

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I tried recording a demo to avi but whenever I type "startmovie blargh avi" into console the pop up does not appear, even alt tabbing and trying to get back in fails to work. I'm at a loss. I just want to share my crappy 4k that I feel proud of because it didn't feel like all luck. (though it was)

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

aksuur posted:

babby's first deagle ace (PS THIS GETS YOU INTO A SUPER SECRET CLUB)

Edit - While I'm at it, here's a smoke defuse.

Edit 2 - And a fancy shmancy defuse denial.

These are great!

For the deagle ace the 3rd kill is just poetry. The way he ragdolls and slides back down the ladder is perfect.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Cerepol posted:

I tried recording a demo to avi but whenever I type "startmovie blargh avi" into console the pop up does not appear, even alt tabbing and trying to get back in fails to work. I'm at a loss. I just want to share my crappy 4k that I feel proud of because it didn't feel like all luck. (though it was)

It was over a year ago when I last tried this but as far as I know that command is still broken. The only option that I'm aware of is using a program like fraps to capture the playback

aksuur
Nov 9, 2003

Cerepol posted:

I've been doing

1. Change to windowed 1440x900
  2. Start the demo (playdemo "c:\temp\whatever.dem")
  3. Make sure the focus is on me or whoever I'm recording
  4. Press shift to turn off autodirector
  5. demoui to navigate to the area of interest, make a note of the round number - if the demo plays choppy then rewind to beginning and go forward again
  6. Pause a few seconds before desired start of the clip because there is a lag
  7. console "cl_draw_only_deathnotices 1"
  8. console 'startmovie "c:\temp\name.avi" avi'
  9. A window will pop up for codec, I use ffdshow with default settings
  10. You need to click resume on the demoui, then close it, then close the console in that order. Also to do it quickly, overlay the demoui X with the console X
  11. The demo playback is slow, choppy, and without audio while recording
  12. When its over, probably best to have a bind key to 'endmovie', but I've just been opening console to quit

aksuur fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 24, 2014

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
A Apartments ("palace") is also called whorehouse on Mirage.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

PRADA SLUT posted:

A Apartments ("palace") is also called whorehouse on Mirage.

Please don't call it this

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I don't even like it when people call it palace. I'm weird. Just call it "A apps" or "A apartments", thanks. I've come around to vent room at b site on cache being called "checkers" though.

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

Lavender Philtrum posted:

You can usually just google "mapname callouts" and check google images. Like "mirage callouts".

Although some of those can be outdated or bad. Other than that, I don't know.

Also make sure you're getting US callouts

crows
short
shithouse

An example of spot names that aren't welcome in the land of the free.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

teagone posted:

I don't even like it when people call it palace. I'm weird. Just call it "A apps" or "A apartments", thanks. I've come around to vent room at b site on cache being called "checkers" though.

I do like palace because I can just belt out apartments and it means the other side of the map.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Xenaero posted:

I do like palace because I can just belt out apartments and it means the other side of the map.

"A apps" and "B apps" are pretty distinct call outs to me :shrug:

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

teagone posted:

"A apps" and "B apps" are pretty distinct call outs to me :shrug:

I don't want to have to make a venn diagram for you but this is pretty dumb for obvious reasons. But I call the B area "halls" and A "apartments" to differentiate them most of the time. Granted, nothing is really going to beat knowing where your team is on the map and you should kinda be able to tell based on who is calling where the call is.

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 24, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

down with slavery posted:

I don't want to have to make a venn diagram for you but this is pretty dumb for obvious reasons.

What... is "A" not different enough from "B"? Spell it out for me because I'm obviously shittier at CS than you.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

teagone posted:

What... is "A" not different enough from "B"? Spell it out for me because I'm obviously shittier at CS than you.

You see, "A apartments" and "B apartments" are both comprised of what we like to call syllables in the English language. Now, if we were to compare the syllables used in both phrases, we would find that the final three syllabals in those phrases are identical. Now, in a game like counter-strike where there can be gunfire, crosstalk, and a whole host of other issues that can prevent you from hearing the entire message your teammate is giving you. Thus, it becomes beneficial to have calls be distinct so that the information can be conveyed regardless of whether or not the message comes through in its entirety. Don't take it personally, this stuff is hard for everyone when they are first introduced to it.

Citations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syllable
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deductive_reasoning

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 24, 2014

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

You see, "A apartments" and "B apartments" are both comprised of what we like to call syllables in the English language. Now, if we were to compare the syllables used in both phrases, we would find that the final three syllabals in those phrases are identical. Now, in a game like counter-strike where there can be gunfire, crosstalk, and a whole host of other issues that can prevent you from hearing the entire message your teammate is giving you. Thus, it becomes beneficial to have calls be distinct so that the information can be conveyed regardless of whether or not the message comes through in its entirety. Don't take it personally, this stuff is hard for everyone when they are first introduced to it.

Citations:

So dick it hurts.

But it is true.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Citations:

Are you serious? :psyduck:

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

teagone posted:

Pengy's hiv positive.

But really, A apts B apts palace it doesn't matter as long as it's not 'whorehouse'.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

mcvey posted:

Pengy's hiv positive.

That explains a lot.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dylan-D posted:

So dick it hurts.

But it is true.

Yeah, you're right. I always mix up my A's with B's and vice versa. loving alphabet man, poo poo is hard.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'm just gonna call it harem.

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

Jeoh posted:

I'm just gonna call it harem.

It's whorehouse now, you know it to be true.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

teagone posted:

I was surprised you seriously don't get why calling both places apartments might be confusing to your team regardless of how you preface it but I guess we're all learning new things today.

v That's because most professional counter-strike teamsfunctional human beings have picked up on those basic concepts teagone continues to struggle with

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 24, 2014

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

I was surprised you seriously don't get why calling both places apartments might be confusing regardless of how you preface it but I guess we're all learning new things today.

Halls and Apps are/were pretty much the standard call on mirage, competitively speaking at least. Similar calls tend to get altered over time, maybe for the reasons you posted.

Although, given that certain players play certain spots, it should already be pretty obvious where people are calling even if they use "Apps" for both A and B side.

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
I'M NOT TRYING TO GET BIG AND BULKY OKAY WE ALL FAIL DIFFERENT GOALS
What should your sensitivity be at when you're playing A site whorehouse?

fe: How do you guys practice consistency? I find myself doing great in one match (20+ kills, few deaths, making most of the shots i take) and then doing god awful the next (not even breaking 10 kills, getting pushed over on easy angles i know i can hold by players i know i can outshoot). I'd like to at least find a middle ground and be mediocre 100% of the time instead of fluctuating wildly. Any tips?

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

B3dl4m posted:

fe: How do you guys practice consistency? I find myself doing great in one match (20+ kills, few deaths, making most of the shots i take) and then doing god awful the next (not even breaking 10 kills, getting pushed over on easy angles i know i can hold by players i know i can outshoot). I'd like to at least find a middle ground and be mediocre 100% of the time instead of fluctuating wildly. Any tips?

play more.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

B3dl4m posted:

Deathmatch deathmatch deathmatch for aim, radar and angles.

Play against better people for game sense.

Lower your sensitivity.

Jellidelic posted:

play more.
Pretty much this, anyone that's half decent has thousands of hours played across the series. If this is your first CS you're really starting off at a disadvantage that can only be overcome with playtime.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!

Mr Tumbles posted:

I've been getting into CSGO a lot more lately and while I have a bunch of mates to play with, I'd like to mix it up with goons sometime. What's the best way for an Aussie to get into some filthy goon-on-goon action?

How bad are you? I'm awful, so add me if you are as well or just need an anchor to make you feel better

http://steamcommunity.com/id/russianbridescam/

PelvicThrust
Oct 22, 2009

And one for the doctor
For the new players asking how to get better, yeah it's true, there's really no way to improve except play play play. And playing against better people than you. I will say one thing though that I notice. It seems like a lot of players lack the confidence to believe they could make that shot on that guy on the site who's really good. And the thing is, that person doesn't have anything more at their disposal than you. They might have hundreds or thousands of hours of practice and game sense, but I mean that they have a gun, you have a gun, someone is going to die (eventually). It sounds cheesy, but believing in yourself that you can aim or outplay someone can make a hell of a difference. I have well over 1000 hours between 1.6 and GO and I still have problems with it.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I only started playing competitively in like November and I'm already generally fragging in the top 3 of my team whenever I play goonmans. I have a 5 year coin but don't be fooled, I spent those 5 years very sporadically playing gungame 24/7 servers with a 1 inch 360.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

PelvicThrust posted:

For the new players asking how to get better, yeah it's true, there's really no way to improve except play play play. And playing against better people than you. I will say one thing though that I notice. It seems like a lot of players lack the confidence to believe they could make that shot on that guy on the site who's really good. And the thing is, that person doesn't have anything more at their disposal than you. They might have hundreds or thousands of hours of practice and game sense, but I mean that they have a gun, you have a gun, someone is going to die (eventually). It sounds cheesy, but believing in yourself that you can aim or outplay someone can make a hell of a difference. I have well over 1000 hours between 1.6 and GO and I still have problems with it.

This is good advice. Another way to think about it is that if you are the worst player on your team and you die, it isn't necessarily a big deal, whereas if it's that 1 time out of 200 that you actually land that 1-click peek on Hoods it's a huge loss for his team. Similarly, if you are the first person out the door on rush and you die, you can still make calls on where the guy that shot you was. If the guy behind you knows exactly where to be aiming ahead of time it helps a lot. CS:GO is all about trading kills, and trading you (a bad player) for a really good opponent is a significant exchange.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Also it's really hard to stop yourself from getting discouraged sometimes but a lot of people have been playing the CS series for like 14 years.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Popehoist posted:

I only started playing competitively in like November and I'm already generally fragging in the top 3 of my team whenever I play goonmans. I have a 5 year coin but don't be fooled, I spent those 5 years very sporadically playing gungame 24/7 servers with a 1 inch 360.

Better than me, I spent those 5 years buying mp5s in CS:S office. I feel so terrible at this game, but I feel like my terrible aim will teach me better game sense because I only ever get anything done when I surprise someone.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

astr0man posted:

This is good advice. Another way to think about it is that if you are the worst player on your team and you die, it isn't necessarily a big deal, whereas if it's that 1 time out of 200 that you actually land that 1-click peek on Hoods it's a huge loss for his team. Similarly, if you are the first person out the door on rush and you die, you can still make calls on where the guy that shot you was. If the guy behind you knows exactly where to be aiming ahead of time it helps a lot. CS:GO is all about trading kills, and trading you (a bad player) for a really good opponent is a significant exchange.

I dunno, I hate playing with new players who feel like they have to sacrifice themselves constantly to be useful. Spending all their money on guns to give to better players and etc. You learn by playing the best that you can, winning is way less important than just improving at Counter-Strike and to do that you have to play to do your personal best.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I guess I should clarify that I'm not encouraging just suiciding into an awp all the time or something, but rather that you shouldn't be afraid to make an aggressive play just because the guy holding the angle you want to peek is a lot better than you.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Thanks gabe.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

astr0man posted:

I guess I should clarify that I'm not encouraging just suiciding into an awp all the time or something, but rather that you shouldn't be afraid to make an aggressive play just because the guy holding the angle you want to peek is a lot better than you.

It's also important to recognize when you made a dumb decision and it got you killed and you shouldn't do that any more, or when you made all the correct decisions but your opponent just has amazing aim/skill/luck and you should continue to make that correct decision even though it didn't work out this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

astr0man posted:

CS:GO is all about trading kills

It's something that's barely mentioned here but the idea of kill trading is something I'd wager not enough players realise the importance of.

Obviously you shouldn't ever be letting team mates fight alone, but as a terrorist it's worse if you do. If you lose a team mate and don't end up making the trade the rest of the round is usually a pain. If you push with your team mate and kill the guy, it doesn't matter if your team mate dies as well because you force the CTs to adjust, weakening at least one of the sites. Without that trade you don't weaken either site, and now you're 4v5.

As a CT if you push and die, it's not nearly as much of a problem as you have the advantage of defending, and can still quite easily get at least 1 kill as they push.

Obviously this doesn't mean to charge that AWP that just killed your buddy and obviously you'll sometimes lose 3 players to one guy, but it's a point people should learn about and know when to apply it, like everything else in CS.

• Locked thread