Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

KS posted:

I know this is the home thread, but you're talking about a work system, so my advice is Illumos. I had stability issues with Nas4Free and performance issues with FreeNAS before biting the bullet and going for something Solaris-based. It paid off -- the system is both fast and rock solid. I find the documentation is way better as well, because about 95% of it agrees with the Oracle docs still. Some things, like disabling cache flush on a per-device basis, don't even seem to be implemented on FreeBSD.

This is on a 32x 3TB array with a ZeusRAM and all the goodies. Nas4free runs perfectly fine at home on my little 6 disk setup. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks, that's the sort of advice I was looking for. My shop is too small for me to feel comfortable posting in SAN megathread, where people have real budgets.

Does Illumos have any sort of a front-end GUI to make it easier to manage? I'm pretty comfortable doing things through the commandline, but if I moved on, it would be nice to leave something easy to use in the documentation for the next guy. Looks like Napp-It came back. Last time I looked, it had become abandonware, now it's kinda-sorta commercial.

insularis fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ConfusedUs posted:

I want a simple home storage solution that can do a few things:

It looks like a Synology NAS would do all of that. This one is the one that I'm looking at right now:
http://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-Diskless-Attached-DS213j/dp/B00CRB9CK4/ref=pd_cp_pc_1

Does anyone have any alternate suggestions or reasons that wouldn't work? I really don't want to have to build a system for this. I'd rather just buy something and be done, even if there's a premium for doing so.

I will also confirm that I have a synology box that does all of those things well. Also, there's a downloadable plugin to be a target for security cams, but I haven't tried it. So that might even be covered.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

AlternateAccount posted:

I will also confirm that I have a synology box that does all of those things well. Also, there's a downloadable plugin to be a target for security cams, but I haven't tried it. So that might even be covered.

Surveillance station is included with DSM and has an included license for one ip cam.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

ConfusedUs posted:

I want a simple home storage solution that can do a few things:

1) Host my media. In order of priority, that would be music, pictures, and in a distant third place, video. I'd like to convert my physical media (DVDs, mostly) to digital at some point.

I have three macs and one windows machine in my home, and I'd like to be able to serve everything to those.

Bonus points, but not critical, if it can serve all of the media to various mobile devices.

2) Act as a target for Time Machine backups from the three Macs in my home.

3) Act as a target for my home security system

It looks like a Synology NAS would do all of that. This one is the one that I'm looking at right now:
http://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-Diskless-Attached-DS213j/dp/B00CRB9CK4/ref=pd_cp_pc_1

Does anyone have any alternate suggestions or reasons that wouldn't work? I really don't want to have to build a system for this. I'd rather just buy something and be done, even if there's a premium for doing so.

I got the 214play since it has more RAM, Intel proc and hardware transcoding should I need it, about an extra $80. But if you don't need that you should be fine. I don't think it is possible to be disappointed with one of these Synologies they are great little pieces of kit.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Red Warrior posted:

I got the 214play since it has more RAM, Intel proc and hardware transcoding should I need it, about an extra $80. But if you don't need that you should be fine. I don't think it is possible to be disappointed with one of these Synologies they are great little pieces of kit.

Would I need the DS214play vs the DS213j to be a NAS/DB host for tversity/Utorrent?

Honestly, I'm almost to the point of rebuilding my home PC/upgrading and moving the old machine to a freenas/opennas setup.

It's an old PC that would need a SATA controller for more disks, (only 4 ports now) and a RAM upgrade (4gb), but it's already sitting around the house as the current windows/office/torrent box.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

toplitzin posted:

Honestly, I'm almost to the point of rebuilding my home PC/upgrading and moving the old machine to a freenas/opennas setup.

This is exactly what I did, but I went with Xpenology :)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you have a bunch of PC hardware kicking around then you owe it to yourself to at least try Xpenology on it - if it works then you've saved some cash, if you hate it then you haven't bought a Synology NAS that you don't like.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Red Warrior posted:

This may be a topic for a different thread, but is transcoding one of those things that I'll wish I had spent another $80 on?

I'm not very familiar with it--it looks like it allows the NAS to re-encode video to work in a variety of formats, on the fly. But what does that mean in practical terms?

Personally, anything I put on the NAS will be aimed at TV viewing. Anything else (like iPads and phones) is really just gravy.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

ConfusedUs posted:

This may be a topic for a different thread, but is transcoding one of those things that I'll wish I had spent another $80 on?

I'm not very familiar with it--it looks like it allows the NAS to re-encode video to work in a variety of formats, on the fly. But what does that mean in practical terms?

Personally, anything I put on the NAS will be aimed at TV viewing. Anything else (like iPads and phones) is really just gravy.

I use it. My main device for watching stuff off my server is my PS3, which plays a few formats natively over DLNA - mp4 or avi with mpeg or h264 video. But it doesn't like mkv's or other strange formats. With transcoding, I can watch most anything. BTW, I have a Synology ds412+, and the DS Video synology app also benefits from transcoded video, as nearly everything plays on our nearly 3 year old ipad2 without issue.

If your player has native support for everything (WD Live or HTPC), and you're streaming off a SMB share or something, then it's not such an issue, as you'll just do all the decoding on your media client.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Civil posted:

I use it. My main device for watching stuff off my server is my PS3, which plays a few formats natively over DLNA - mp4 or avi with mpeg or h264 video. But it doesn't like mkv's or other strange formats. With transcoding, I can watch most anything. BTW, I have a Synology ds412+, and the DS Video synology app also benefits from transcoded video, as nearly everything plays on our nearly 3 year old ipad2 without issue.

If your player has native support for everything (WD Live or HTPC), and you're streaming off a SMB share or something, then it's not such an issue, as you'll just do all the decoding on your media client.

My primary media server is one of those macs I mentioned above. I'm using it as an HTPC so it should be able to decode whatever.

I'll think about transcoding a bit. Thanks for the info!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm looking around on Amazon, is there any particular PCI SATA controller or Raid controller to prefer/avoid?

I'f I'm just doing jbod/ maybe mess around with Xpenology does it matter?

Also, is there a preferred ram level past 4GB?
With only torrenting and SMB serving will 8GB make a difference?
(Ok ok, maybe SQL if i get really crazy with XBMC)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

toplitzin posted:

I'm looking around on Amazon, is there any particular PCI SATA controller or Raid controller to prefer/avoid?

I'f I'm just doing jbod/ maybe mess around with Xpenology does it matter?

Also, is there a preferred ram level past 4GB?
With only torrenting and SMB serving will 8GB make a difference?
(Ok ok, maybe SQL if i get really crazy with XBMC)

I run a perfectly awesomely functioning Xpenology box on a 4+ year old shuttle computer with a 2.1ghz processor and 2gb RAM. It's not going to transcode 1080p from Plex on the fly or anything, but besides that I'm not sure why I'd need more than that. Realize the smaller Synology boxes come with like 512MB of RAM.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ShaneB posted:

I run a perfectly awesomely functioning Xpenology box on a 4+ year old shuttle computer with a 2.1ghz processor and 2gb RAM. It's not going to transcode 1080p from Plex on the fly or anything, but besides that I'm not sure why I'd need more than that. Realize the smaller Synology boxes come with like 512MB of RAM.

The new version DSM 5.0 runs on the DS110j which had 128mb ram.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

ShaneB posted:

yeah, i don't think i'll be doing much transcoding, i can lie in bed without movies and TV, Thanks books!, just fine.

I'm running just a XBMC house and maybe in the future some sort of home automation.
The more i type the more i think it's just going to be a build a small box with lots of storage whenever i upgrade my desktop.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Considering that XBMC will eat just about any kind of file at 1080 on an ION based Atom machine, why do you even need to transcode??

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

AlternateAccount posted:

Considering that XBMC will eat just about any kind of file at 1080 on an ION based Atom machine, why do you even need to transcode??

iPads, etc?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I'm thinking of buying a Synology NAS, because apparently they are pretty good. Are the model numbers simply bigger = better or are there some gotchas?

I'm specifically looking at the 4-drive versions.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Wheany posted:

I'm thinking of buying a Synology NAS, because apparently they are pretty good. Are the model numbers simply bigger = better or are there some gotchas?

The first number is the number of drive bays, the next 2 are the series (the higher the number the newer) and then the symbol or lack of at the end is for cpu/ram/features So you have like + and nothing and j and air

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Wheany posted:

Use this:

http://www.synology.com/en-global/products/compare_products

In your case:

http://www.synology.com/en-global/products/compare_products/DS414/DS413j/DS412+/DS411slim

Arob1000
Jul 30, 2006
The man, the myth, the legend...
All Synology machines had a vulnerability that someone used to install a rootkit + Bitcoin miner on a ton of them. Updating to the newest DSM version is supposed to fix it: http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81316 (also appears as a 'lolz' directory in /etc)

Does anyone know how the rootkit was installed? I want to know before I reinstall third-party packages, but Synology locked the discussion thread when they posted the announcement and fix.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Hey, thanks. That's actually really useful.

Arob1000 posted:

Bitcoin miner

Wow, they must have made like... several bucks from those. You know, minus labor.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Don't get the 411slim. You don't want a NAS that uses 2.5" drives unless you have a very good reason.

412+ might be a 2012 model, but it's by far the most powerful. If you plan to stream media to a variety of devices, that's the one to get. If not, the 413j is a good option that saves you $200.

Unless you already have drives laying around, WD Red 3TB's are the best performance/reliability/value drives.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

toplitzin posted:

PCI or PCI-express? I can't imagine Host Bus Adapters (HBAs, which is the technical term for them in case you want to look for yourself) over PCI would be very fast. For PCI-express, the IBM ServeRAID M1015 (flashed to IT-mode or you can buy it pre-flashed on ebay, prices hover around $100-115 if I recall correctly) is a good choice no matter your platform.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 25, 2014

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Civil posted:

Don't get the 411slim. You don't want a NAS that uses 2.5" drives unless you have a very good reason.

Agreed in general, but if I could have a box the size of the 411slim that would basically be an HP Microserver (internal USB port, x64 cpu, support for 8gb+ ECC RAM), I would be all over it. It would be perfect for me.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

DNova posted:

Agreed in general, but if I could have a box the size of the 411slim that would basically be an HP Microserver (internal USB port, x64 cpu, support for 8gb+ ECC RAM), I would be all over it. It would be perfect for me.

My DS212+ (Synology w/4 3.5" bays) is roughly the same size as my N40L - it's not big by any stretch. The 411slim looks quite a bit smaller, but does size matter that much? I keep mine in a closet and rarely bother looking at it. I probably haven't even touched it in 5 months.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Civil posted:

My DS212+ (Synology w/4 3.5" bays) is roughly the same size as my N40L - it's not big by any stretch. The 411slim looks quite a bit smaller, but does size matter that much? I keep mine in a closet and rarely bother looking at it. I probably haven't even touched it in 5 months.

I realize that for most situations it doesn't matter, but for me, yes, it would be really nice to have something a lot smaller than an N40L that could fulfill the same duties. I have an N54L and love it, though.

angus725
Jan 5, 2014

Hi guys,

I'm on a fairly low budget of $150-200 for a custom NAS box, and another $100-200 for harddrives (1-3 TB, would be doing FreeNAS - ZFS based RAID1). Should I bother doing a NAS box build, or am I better off with something off the shelf?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

N36L+8GB ECC memory can be had for ~$200 if you wait for rebates (if there aren't any at the moment), and so can 3x2TB WD Reds for raidz1. Assuming you have a 4GB usb flash drive lying at home to put freenas on, go hog wild.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Is there anything bad about this dell server that would make it unfit for a 4 bay nas? http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/115050/dell-small-business---dell-poweredge-t20-intel-haswell-pentium-g3220-3ghz-server-w-4gb-memory

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
I've read the OP and several pages and I still have a question. I just want to have a Raid1 NAS to protect my pictures of my kids/taxes/documents etc. I have spare parts lying around but I'd really like something small form factor with low power consumption. Is a synology box my best option or can I build something tiny cheaper? I have almost no intention of putting my movies on there etc, but I will put my entire music collection that I've ripped over the years.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

For anyone more familiar with Synology's webui, than I am: Is there any hardcoding of the webui listening only to requests from the network that it's eth0 port is on? My setup is that I've a Ubiquity ERL-3 and 3x UAPs, and the UAPs run on 192.168.2.0/24 with my wired network on 192.168.1.0/24 - but I still need to be able to access the webui from 192.168.2.0/24. Shares (both CIFS and NFS) and SSH access are both fine, it's just the webui that isn't responding, so I need to permit 192.168.0.0/16 but I can't find out where.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

I need to permit 192.168.0.0/16 but I can't find out where.

Control Panel -> Firewall and QoS

Shouldn't be denying it if there isn't already a rule there denying it, though.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Tossed a 3rd 3tb red into my xpenology box. Expanding takes forever... Can anyone explain to me what would happen if I actually lost a drive? I don't have downtime, right? It gracefully fails and says "degraded" or something and then I can just add another drive and expand it again?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Tossed a 3rd 3tb red into my xpenology box. Expanding takes forever... Can anyone explain to me what would happen if I actually lost a drive? I don't have downtime, right? It gracefully fails and says "degraded" or something and then I can just add another drive and expand it again?

Exactly that. Except when you add the replacement drive it would say repair instead of expand.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

Control Panel -> Firewall and QoS

Shouldn't be denying it if there isn't already a rule there denying it, though.
Unlike traditional firewalls, it has an allow-all rule at the end which is default - are you telling me that I have to edit the rule there to be 192.168.0.0/16 and enable it?Nope, just tested it - that didn't work.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 1, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

No, in fact I just built a new server with nearly those same specs. That processor is fantastic, 54w and it idles at close to 10w, has enough power to transcode 1080p streams too.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Got in my Norco RPC-4020 and the 120mm fan plane this week, and my file server migration is well underway. A few thoughts:

1. I tested out the stock 6 x 80mm fans configuration just to see how loud it is, and it was hilariously so. The 3 x 120mm fan plane might well be a must-have for this thing. As I discovered that I actually had 3 120mm fans laying around - 2 NZXT fans which I had previously bought when I was trying to make a DIY "air conditioner" (don't ask) and the stock Corsair H60 fan, I figured I'd use those and see how they work. The Corsair is PWM, while the NZXTs are not, but all three are actually very quiet, enough that I didn't order any 120mm fans and won't replace them unless I find that they're insufficient as I add more drives. I did remove the 2 rear 80mm fans altogether, and ordered 2 Arctic F8 PWMs, which hopefully should be fairly quiet as well.

2. I'd forgotten how terrible the mounting system for Intel's stock HSF is. On the upside, it's quiet enough under low load that I don't need to go out and buy another Cooler Master TX3 (which will fit in a 4U and is carried by my local Micro Center) immediately and can decide if I want to stick with that (not my first choice, as use of 92mm fans are very limiting), find a 120mm tower HSF that will fit (there are only a very few), or get a top-down (Noctua NH-C14 would probably work great, but is a tad overkill). I also used my old PC&P 610W PSU, and despite it not being modular, the size of the case meant that cabling was really not much of an issue at all, even with 14 SATA cables. So really don't regret not getting the 4220 at all.

3. Supermicro's IPMI is pretty great... when it works. Which it does not for me in any capacity other from the web GUI, because they are Java programs that refuse to work (either at all, or properly) on any platform I tried (OS X, W7 in a VM, WinXP in a VM, W7). It probably requires a specific older version of JRE, but I'll be damned if can be bothered to try a bunch of them to find out. The lesson, as always, is: gently caress Java. And I couldn't get Virtual Media to work for the life of me, either with my W7 machine or my old file server acting hosting the share. Along the way of trying to get it to work, I managed to screw up the web GUI too, and had to use a Linux live USB disk to use the IPMI configure utility to reset it.

4. Installed ESXi 5.5 (had to customize it to get proper NIC drivers), before deciding that virtualizing my storage was probably a dumb idea all things considered (just adds more places where things can get screwed up), so nuked it and just installed Ubuntu LTS. Installing the necessary packages (Samba, Netatalk, ZFS on Linux) went without a hitch, as did importing my old zpool. So now it's chugging along doing a full scrub of the two 3x2TB RZ1 vdevs, which should take about ~14 hours.

5. Ordered 8 WD Red 3TBs - was a bit hesitant to get them from Newegg, but they had a 10% off coupon that meant saving over $100 total, and that was hard to pass up. And maybe by ordering that many at once they'll ship them well? Not sure if 16GB of RAM will be sufficient once I add those 8 - I wanted to wait for 16GB sticks of ECC UDIMM to become widely available (at non-absurd prices) to bring up to 48GB total, but who knows when that'll happen, so might just have to get another two 8GB sticks. Also, still not sure if I want to add an SSD to use as SLOG/ZIL drive.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Regarding Supermicro IPMI, on my x10sl7 board I have to use Java 6u45 to get the remote console type stuff to work. If you set IE to compatibility mode it will stop giving you java update prompts every time you navigate to the summary page and the remote view page (I don't know how to make Firefox or Chrome stop complaining). Make sure to update the IPMI firmware, the java versions change.

I've never got the virtual media thing working from the web interface. If you use their IPMI View tool that is standalone, the virtual media thing from there has worked for me.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 2, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

GokieKS posted:

5. Ordered 8 WD Red 3TBs - was a bit hesitant to get them from Newegg, but they had a 10% off coupon that meant saving over $100 total, and that was hard to pass up. And maybe by ordering that many at once they'll ship them well?

I did the same thing. Each drive will come in a bubble suit in an individual cardboard box with all the small boxes in a larger one. I think Newegg is selling a bad batch, just based on how many of the very recent reviewers complain about 50% arriving DOA.

After getting my RMA replacement from a DOA last week, my two Newegg 3tbs seem to be running fine but I grabbed a parity drive from Amazon just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

phosdex posted:

Regarding Supermicro IPMI, on my x10sl7 board I have to use Java 6u45 to get the remote console type stuff to work. If you set IE to compatibility mode it will stop giving you java update prompts every time you navigate to the summary page and the remote view page (I don't know how to make Firefox or Chrome stop complaining). Make sure to update the IPMI firmware, the java versions change.

I've never got the virtual media thing working from the web interface. If you use their IPMI View tool that is standalone, the virtual media thing from there has worked for me.

X10SL7 is what I have as well, and I did upgrade the IPMI firmware (after resetting it) to try to get Virtual Media to work. I didn't try JRE 6 though - with JRE 7 IPMIView just wouldn't start at all, and the Java Applet would just kind of hang once I try to mount Virtual Media. Maybe one day if I cared enough I'll go muck around with it some more, but for now I can just SSH into it to do whatever I need, so no real need.

eddiewalker posted:

I did the same thing. Each drive will come in a bubble suit in an individual cardboard box with all the small boxes in a larger one. I think Newegg is selling a bad batch, just based on how many of the very recent reviewers complain about 50% arriving DOA.

After getting my RMA replacement from a DOA last week, my two Newegg 3tbs seem to be running fine but I grabbed a parity drive from Amazon just in case.

Well crap. Hope I get lucky I guess? :shrug: